• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Stimpack

With having to send back my note 7, does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? I was thinking either the one plus 3 or even jumping ship to the iPhone. I have no idea how good either phone is, though.

Damn shame. The note 7 really is the best phone I've ever used.

With having to send back my note 7, does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? I was thinking either the one plus 3 or even jumping ship to the iPhone. I have no idea how good either phone is, though.

I went back to a Note 5. I have to have the pressure sensitive stylus. I loved the Note 7 as well. It was heartbreaking to return it for the 2nd time.

S6 Edge+ here and I love it.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Are there any games similar to Super Meat Boy or Geometry Dash? Also is there a source or community that lists or talks about quality Android games? I try to discover stuff on my own on the Play Store but a lot of what shows up are either not that great or not my style. I feel there are a lot of good games in there, just not a good way of discovering them.

Give Leap Day a shot. Been playing it casually the past month or so and it scratches that platformer itch pretty well.

norm9

Picked up Out There, Downwell, and Tallowmere recently. Only gotten around to playing Out There. A ton of fun and a good (better?) substitute to FTL since that's not on Android.

Mini Metro came out a couple of days ago. This was a really fun game on PC, and it looks like the reviews are good for the Android port so far.

Highly recommended if you like minimalist, management/puzzle games. It's a hard game to describe, but there is quite a bit of hidden strategy to it that you might not realize the first few times you play it.

anddo0

How's the port quality of Dragon Quest 4/5/6 on Android? Safe to buy?

I've only played 5 and 8. Both are solid. Can't go wrong with 4 and 6 though.. The Dragon Quest games are better than the FF games, in terms of making the mobile transition.

Mini Metro came out a couple of days ago. This was a really fun game on PC, and it looks like the reviews are good for the Android port so far.

Highly recommended if you like minimalist, management/puzzle games. It's a hard game to describe, but there is quite a bit of hidden strategy to it that you might not realize the first few times you play it.

Looks interesting..

Concrete Jungle is also worth checking out.

Stealth release for Don't Starve: Pocket Edition
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kleientertainment.doNotStarvePocket

I'm not entirely sure if it's appropriate to post here (apologies mods if it is!) but we're looking for some beta testers for Piczle Lines DX, set for release Q1 2017.

twitter_googleplay.jpg

Some people in this thread seemed to like our previous Piczle Lines Jr. so I'm hoping a few of you might want to give this one a whirl.
Just email us at the address in the image above and make sure to let us know if Android or iOS.

I'll be whoring out the final release version next year in this very thread, so I guess you guys will have that to look forward to. ;)

Implosion1-520x245.png

So I just gave this game a try and damn, I am impressed. Very high quality game, good voice acting, fun fluid hack and slash. Interesting enough story. Guess that guys at Rayark weren't kidding when they said they would bring 'AAA' gaming to mobile

Pin Out is out on Android and is a wonderful take on pinball games infinity runs.

I wanted to second the call for PinOut. Absolutely wonderful game that mixes pinball and an Endless Climber/runner. Free to try with one IAP to unlock the ability to resume from checkpoints.

Also, I wanted to point out a demo for a game that doesn't seem complete yet called "Sara Is Missing". SIM has an aesthetic where you found a phone and are investigating what happened to the owner, much like Replica.

You can get the demo for SIM Android or for PC and give it a shot.

Enjoy!

jvm

Gamasutra.
I wanted to second the call for PinOut. Absolutely wonderful game that mixes pinball and an Endless Climber/runner. Free to try with one IAP to unlock the ability to resume from checkpoints.
Agreed. Loving PinOut. May drop some money on the single IAP.

reKon

Banned
I've been playing the shit out of SkyForce Reoloaded. Not no one here ever said shit about this game, but it's legit. I only paid for no ads using google reward survey cash.

I tried PinOut too and it seems like a good game as well.

Another really great shooter is Xenowerk. Don't think I've seen that mentioned here as well.

On my phone, I tend to stick to games with cloud save. In my games folder, I have the following:

PinOut, Sky Force Reloaded, Leo's Fortune, Monument Valley, Limbo, Lara Croft Go, SNES 9x (emulator), Xenowerk, Ski Safari, Smash hit, Uncharted, Super Hexagon, Riptide GP2, Dragon Quest 8.

Just a great variety of mobile games here.

On a tablet, I would have games like the Kingdom Rush series. The screen on my phone is too small for these. Maybe the S7 Edge that I'm about to switch to will actually work a bit better for this type of game?

yasu151

I have to second the recommendation for sky force reloaded. I've sunk hours into it. I'm also a huge fan of the anniversary edition on steam. The mobile version is really polished.

Benedict

It looks like Humble Bundle sent out an email too early.
Humble Mobile Bundle Board Games seems to be releasing soon and will include at least Ticket to Ride and Galaxy Trucker.

Amon37

I have to second the recommendation for sky force reloaded. I've sunk hours into it. I'm also a huge fan of the anniversary edition on steam. The mobile version is really polished.

I get an error on Sky force saying my hardware doesn't match the requirements. I have an s7 edge what more does it want and why did it let me download and install it in the first place

It looks like Humble Bundle sent out an email too early.
Humble Mobile Bundle Board Games seems to be releasing soon and will include at least Ticket to Ride and Galaxy Trucker.

I highly recommend Ticket To Ride. Nifty and lively interface, especially for tablets. The DLC maps for it are cross-buy, so if you already bought the DLC on Steam, all you need to do is link your Steam account to your Days of Wonder account to unlock them on Android (after logging into your DoW account on Android, of course).

Benedict

Pay $1 or more for Carcassonne, and Scotland Yard.

Pay $3 or more and you’ll also get Splendor, Catan and THE aMAZEing Labyrinth.

Pay $5 or more for all of that plus Ticket To Ride, San Juan, and Galaxy Trucker.

Edit: more games will be added later at the $3 tier.

autoduelist

Can someone help me find a new game to play? Preferably under $5.

Games I've loved :

Loot & Legends, Decromancy - (card based rpgs)
Dungeon Warfare - (top tier tower defense)
Kingturn - (really solid srpg, great skill progression)
Hoplite, Tales of a Viking - (distilled tactics)

I'm sure there were a couple others, but those are the standouts. I started playing Warlords because the store 'recommended' it to me, but it's thick with iap and timers. IAP and timers = no play.

Basically, looking for something meaty with deep progression (lewt, skills), turnbased combat, etc. I know about Tactics Maiden [by the Kingturn devs] but I'm saving that for later because I enjoyed Kingturn so much and don't want to burn out (or run out) of their games.

Any ideas?

taybul

Games I've loved :

I'm sure there were a couple others, but those are the standouts. I started playing Warlords because the store 'recommended' it to me, but it's thick with iap and timers. IAP and timers = no play.

Basically, looking for something meaty with deep progression (lewt, skills), turnbased combat, etc. I know about Tactics Maiden [by the Kingturn devs] but I'm saving that for later because I enjoyed Kingturn so much and don't want to burn out (or run out) of their games.

Any ideas?

Have you played Soda Dungeon?

Games I've loved :

Any ideas?

Maybe Guild of Dungeoneering? The best way I can describe it is it's a card-based roguelike game. I've had a ton of fun with it. It works fine on a phone (I use a Nexus 6P), and it's also a great tablet game.

Reigns is also a super fun game. I won't even begin to try to describe it.

And last but not least, I'll make a recommendation for Templar Battleforce. It's currently out of your price range at $10, but it goes on sale occasionally. There is also a generous Lite version you can try out just to see if it's your type of game. The developers who make this game are hands down the best Android game devs around. They constantly update their games after release with free content upgrades, and their support is unparalleled. I highly recommend checking out some of their other games just to see if anything else interests you. They typically have free versions that allow you play a good chunk of the game as an extended demo. While Templar Battleforce is probably my favorite of the bunch, they do have a lot of gems in their catalog that I would suggest looking at.

Edit: I forgot about Lost Frontier. That seems like it would be up your alley. It's a tactics game that is pretty fun to play. I bought it at launch and checking on it now I'm surprised it isn't reviewed better. While it's not as good of a tactics game as something like XCOM, I thought it was a great fit for a mobile device. These same devs made Battleheart Legacy which is an interesting RPG in the same vein as Diablo.

Portugeezer

Hey guys, what are some good turn based android games I can play when there is some downtime at work? Turn based because it doesn't require my full attention.

Hey guys, what are some good turn based android games I can play when there is some downtime at work? Turn based because it doesn't require my full attention.

Any of the "Go" games. Lara Croft Go, Hitman Go, Deus Ex Go. Banner Saga. Any of the deep RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.

Templar Battleforce also has gotten a couple of recommendations in this thread. I haven't played it myself.

autoduelist

Have you played Soda Dungeon?

Yes. In theory I loved it, but in practice I found it a bit grindy at times. But it was fun (I cleared it and was happy when I was done with it).

Maybe Guild of Dungeoneering? The best way I can describe it is it's a card-based roguelike game. I've had a ton of fun with it. It works fine on a phone (I use a Nexus 6P), and it's also a great tablet game.

Reigns is also a super fun game. I won't even begin to try to describe it.

And last but not least, I'll make a recommendation for Templar Battleforce. It's currently out of your price range at $10, but it goes on sale occasionally. There is also a generous Lite version you can try out just to see if it's your type of game. The developers who make this game are hands down the best Android game devs around. They constantly update their games after release with free content upgrades, and their support is unparalleled. I highly recommend checking out some of their other games just to see if anything else interests you. They typically have free versions that allow you play a good chunk of the game as an extended demo. While Templar Battleforce is probably my favorite of the bunch, they do have a lot of gems in their catalog that I would suggest looking at.

Edit: I forgot about Lost Frontier. That seems like it would be up your alley. It's a tactics game that is pretty fun to play. I bought it at launch and checking on it now I'm surprised it isn't reviewed better. While it's not as good of a tactics game as something like XCOM, I thought it was a great fit for a mobile device. These same devs made Battleheart Legacy which is an interesting RPG in the same vein as Diablo.

I have heard of Templar Battleforce... I'll grab it next time it goes on sale. Does anyone know of a good android price tracker?

I didn't know Guild of Dungeoneering was on android, I have it on my GOG wishlist. But thanks! Will look into it.

will look deeper into Reigns. for some reason I had it in my mind it was super simplistic, due to the swipe left/right thing and I tend to like strategy/tactics.

And will definitely look more into Lost Frontiers... a western advance wars? Might be my first buy from this group.

Thanks for the great tips!

Fewr

Pay $1 or more for Carcassonne, and Scotland Yard.

Pay $3 or more and you’ll also get Splendor, Catan and THE aMAZEing Labyrinth.

Pay $5 or more for all of that plus Ticket To Ride, San Juan, and Galaxy Trucker.

Edit: more games will be added later at the $3 tier.

Got 2 bundles. One for myself and one for my sister. Can't let this opportunity pass.

Tennis Champs Returns came out yesterday, and I'm having a ton of fun with it so far. I guess it has been out on iOS for a while and has great reviews.

It's currently on sale for 75% off, and I would highly recommend anyone with even a passing interest in tennis to pick this up.

inky

Are the GO games good? I'm seeing all of them for $1 (equiv.).

Lara Croft GO is very good and I would highly recommend it. It will leave you a bit hungry for more though. Hitman GO I didn't like as much, but it's the same formula. I haven't tried any other GO games.

Benedict

I would say that Hitman Go is the best of the series and then followed probably by Deus Ex Go, which I'm playing now.
Didn't really enjoy Lara Croft Go.

Lomax

Are the GO games good? I'm seeing all of them for $1 (equiv.).

I loved Hitman GO. It was the first one so it's probably the best one to start with as I'd assume they've improved the formula as the series has gone on.

What's the best Puzzle Quest-like game?

There are a myriad of Puzzle Quest-style f2p games like Puzzles and Dragons, Doctor Who Legacy, Marvel Puzzle Quest, and tons of others. I'd pick the one that has the most appealing license. You'll get hundreds of hours of content out of them without spending anything. I highly recommend Doctor Who Legacy if you are a fan.

Top Bottom