• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

louiedog

rymdkapsel is finally out!

Great abstract RTS game. Been looking forward to it for ages.

Ugh. I got this on PSM to play on my phone months ago right before an unfortunate event sidetracked me and I totally forgot about it. Oh well. I finally played some today and I like it quite a bit so far.

yogloo

I am really annoyed with minion rush' iap. It's so fucked up. A single costume can cost up to 7000 coins which is equal to 50 usd in real life. Really? I love this game. If costumes were a few bucks a piece I would be spending money in this game. Instead here's a big fuck you to gameloft.

Can you max out all settings, or is this another one of those magical tegra optimized games (the first one was but you could force enable the tegra effects on stuff like a pre jb s3 and still have it running better than a on a tegra 3 phone)

I've got the resolution maxed and every graphical option checked. The only thing is shader detail only goes to medium. Not even given the option for higher, assuming there is one.

mackattk

Been playing Hero Forge lately. So far so good. Started off with a paladin, got up to level 5. Then I found a high level mage and got my ass handed to me. That polymorph is no joke. It looked interesting so I started a mage, and it is so much harder to play than a paladin. I have like a 40% win-loss ratio with the mage compared to 70% with the paladin. After getting the mage up to level 8 I went back to the paladin. The black knight with the mage is fucking impossible, anyone have any luck beating this guy with the mage? There is way too much damage incoming to be able to deal with it. The only possible way to win it is to either keep losing and levelling up until you get polymorph, or get extremely lucky with the spell reflect, hoping that out of the 20 attacks that the black knight pelts you with, you reflect back the 2600 point damage attack. Without the polymorph the mage is pretty weak. They have a good offense, but literally no defense. It might get better once the polymorph comes into play, but it is a long way to level 11 when I end up losing 60% of the matches.

The itemization of the reflect spell is really off. It makes sense that sense it reflects the damage you wouldn't be able to use it too often, but it just pales in comparison to the berzeker's absorb shield or the paladin's 500 hp shield (or damage converted to shield depending on the fight). The mages reflect is so dependent on luck it feels useless to me 80% of the time. Most of the time I just reflect a 100 damage normal attack.

To add, I really love the cloud saving feature of this game. It is nice to play on my phone, then come home and switch to the tablet and continue where I left off. I really hope this feature comes to more android games/apps in the future.

So I seem to have a problem with gaming on my S3. Even though I close all other apps beforehand, my games tend to be a bit jittery. like, every few seconds it'll hitch up for a split second.

I notice it the most in Ski Safari, but I see it elsewhere as well. Is there any way for me to fix this?

So I am running into an issue where after upgrading from ICS to Jelly Bean on my Galaxy S2 I can't move apps to the internal storage. Looking around it seems to be an issue with the S2 and Jelly Bean. I am trying to convince my wife that we need to upgrade and I am leaning to an S4 or a Note 2. Any recommendations for or against either?

So I am running into an issue where after upgrading from ICS to Jelly Bean on my Galaxy S2 I can't move apps to the internal storage. Looking around it seems to be an issue with the S2 and Jelly Bean. I am trying to convince my wife that we need to upgrade and I am leaning to an S4 or a Note 2. Any recommendations for or against either?

Love my S4 and would absolutely recommend it, but if you are interested in the Note sizes, I think Note 3 is expected to be formally announced soon.

Also, thank you to this thread and Chubs for Cook, Serve, Delicious. Game is cracktastic and made me very unproductive today :)

Love my S4 and would absolutely recommend it, but if you are interested in the Note sizes, I think Note 3 is expected to be formally announced soon.

Also, thank you to this thread and Chubs for Cook, Serve, Delicious. Game is cracktastic and made me very unproductive today :)

I ended up with the Note 2, mainly because, for me at least, it serves a second purpose as a drawing tablet with the S Pen and the Sketchbook app. I haven't done much but draw a little picture and play some quadropus, but I am loving it.

Fjord

Been playing Hero Forge lately. So far so good. Started off with a paladin, got up to level 5. Then I found a high level mage and got my ass handed to me. That polymorph is no joke. It looked interesting so I started a mage, and it is so much harder to play than a paladin. I have like a 40% win-loss ratio with the mage compared to 70% with the paladin. After getting the mage up to level 8 I went back to the paladin. The black knight with the mage is fucking impossible, anyone have any luck beating this guy with the mage? There is way too much damage incoming to be able to deal with it. The only possible way to win it is to either keep losing and levelling up until you get polymorph, or get extremely lucky with the spell reflect, hoping that out of the 20 attacks that the black knight pelts you with, you reflect back the 2600 point damage attack. Without the polymorph the mage is pretty weak. They have a good offense, but literally no defense. It might get better once the polymorph comes into play, but it is a long way to level 11 when I end up losing 60% of the matches.

The itemization of the reflect spell is really off. It makes sense that sense it reflects the damage you wouldn't be able to use it too often, but it just pales in comparison to the berzeker's absorb shield or the paladin's 500 hp shield (or damage converted to shield depending on the fight). The mages reflect is so dependent on luck it feels useless to me 80% of the time. Most of the time I just reflect a 100 damage normal attack.

To add, I really love the cloud saving feature of this game. It is nice to play on my phone, then come home and switch to the tablet and continue where I left off. I really hope this feature comes to more android games/apps in the future.

My girlfriend is crushing with her mage, Chausette, she has been top 10 for a couple days now. I actually thought they might have rigged the top 10 to always be a fairly even 4-3-3 class split because mage is so good (last I checked the mages had 85%+ win rates and the orcs had 65%), mainly because of reflect. It effectively gives the mage three attack spells, meaning more consistent round 1 kills than other classes. She had a 56 game win streak going last night.

Polymorph is good in that it can cancel an entire attack combo but its real power is the dispel. Use it when you're against a paladin or orc with plenty of blues - you get the same cube - or mage with greens to get rid of convert, absorb and reflect. But keep in mind polymorph costs 400 mana to stop one action and for 300 mana reflect is also doing that damage back to them! Glass cannon is a poor combo with reflect, the only reflect you're powering up is your opponents +26.5%! You can get fancy trying to time reflects but it being green gives it an edge. It is cheaper than the orc and paladin greens (if only because you get +mana) so you'll often hit it just before them and counter their big green attack. Don't be afraid to use it a few times in a row, it'll stack twice and can catch the double damage of attack 2 in a basic combo, especially against creatures.

If you're having trouble fighting creatures roll some +attack damage enchants, get enough and they won't be able to keep up. I've seen her mage put out triple attacks that do over 5000 damage.

I'm trying to work out if there is a pattern to the enchanting. Seems to be a base value for the item quality but also seeing some bizarre patterns like +6*,+5*,+4*, +3*, +2*, +6*,+5*... Going to start recording them when there is gold to spare.

So on a whim I installed Avadon from the Humble Android Bundle on my Note 2 and it works beautifully. Very excited to have a game like that mobile now.

Fjord

Any tools against the black knight? My mage is effectively stuck at that fight for the time being

Just keep crafting gear and make sure you're comboing your mana cubes as well as your attacks. I think everyone gets stuck on him for a while.

Couple new games out recently

Guardian Cross - Final Fantasy TCG but difficult to differentiate from your standard no skill game so far. Anyone else tried it? I'm pretty close to uninstalling.

Apoc Wars - Just released tonight from Mobage. Borderlands art style MMORTS, looks like they put a bit of work into this one. I'll post impressions later.

edit: Ok I've given them a few hours.
Guardian Cross is not worth your time. Even the art is sub par, which is pretty bad when all you do is hit continue while looking at art. I'm surprised garbage like this is coming out of SQUARE.

Apoc Wars, really does look good, even some decent writing. The battles are a bit awkward, you control your entire army with each click and there is no attack move. Fights are generally no challenge, similar to finishing off a starcraft game after the battle. Or your army gets stuck on a wall and wiped out by a turret. I have slight concerns the mechanics don't have much depth.

Just keep crafting gear and make sure you're comboing your mana cubes as well as your attacks. I think everyone gets stuck on him for a while.

Couple new games out recently

Guardian Cross - Final Fantasy TCG but difficult to differentiate from your standard no skill game so far. Anyone else tried it? I'm pretty close to uninstalling.

Apoc Wars - Just released tonight from Mobage. Borderlands art style MMORTS, looks like they put a bit of work into this one. I'll post impressions later.

I'm going to try both of those later today.

Hero Forge... put that on my phone last night and couldn't stop playing it. Thanks for the recommendation all its a wonderful game.

r3n4ud

Alright folks. My Shield arrived today and first thing I picked up on the Android gaming side is Cook, Serve, Delicious! Can't wait to try the sucker out.

Is there ever a game that you love so much you wish that it got so much exposure? I've got that so bad with Dungeon Quest that it breaks my heart a little bit the game isn't more popular. I've already posted it before in this thread and the previous android gaming one, but I implore all of you, play this game. Particularly if you're a fan of any loot RPG. It's so excellent, it's basically just an endless dungeon, it's constantly having new features added to it, obviously the more popular it gets the better it could be.

Completely free, with cosmetic IAPs/one IAP that increases experience gain (but you really don't need it since you can just bump up the difficulty for an experience gain). There are ads in the game whilst loading that can be a bit of a pain, but to be honest the game is so good you'll honestly have no qualms chucking 99c at it to remove them and maybe get an extra character slot or a bit of cosmetic gear.

Infact that is literally the only thing wrong with the game, that you only get one character slot to play with.

Please grab it and try it:

Dungeon Quest - Free (with optional IAP)

SiDCrAzY

Is there ever a game that you love so much you wish that it got so much exposure? I've got that so bad with Dungeon Quest that it breaks my heart a little bit the game isn't more popular.

It shows:
Installs
1,000,000 - 5,000,000

That's not bad. Seems popular already.

Portugeezer

I'm thinking about putting a SNES emulator on my android phone, so I'm checking out bluetooth controllers and every controller seems to be under the device.

I'm looking for a controller which would fit on either side of the device when I hold it horizontally, so it'll look more like a PSP or original GBA.

Do these exist? Please help me out guys, cheers.

SiDCrAzY

I'm thinking about putting a SNES emulator on my android phone, so I'm checking out bluetooth controllers and every controller seems to be under the device.

I'm looking for a controller which would fit on either side of the device when I hold it horizontally, so it'll look more like a PSP or original GBA.

Do these exist? Please help me out guys, cheers.

I'm sure I've seen some others, but this is the nicest one I can remember. Not sure how well it works though, COMING SOON.

d6c38b595ef0896b60355c65382197f4_large.jpg

Their Kickstarter:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console

Their website: www.phonejoy.com

yogloo

I have a diy controller holder for my galaxy note. I found the instruction at instructables and modify it a bit. I will post the pictures tomorrow. All you need is rubber bands, boston clips and a steel hanger (you can use the ones the dry cleaners gave you).

Portugeezer

So my dad asked me to unlock/buy new Candy Crush levels for him, when I do Google play gives me an error saying I already own this item or whatever, nothing seems to work. Tried shutting down and restarting phone and keeps giving the same error.

Any help?

I have a diy controller holder for my galaxy note. I found the instruction at instructables and modify it a bit. I will post the pictures tomorrow. All you need is rubber bands, boston clips and a steel hanger (you can use the ones the dry cleaners gave you).

Please do.

Raptomex

Now I downloaded Sonic. Probably the best Android game I've played because it only requires two controls. Now I've always sucked at Sonic games but I have beaten them including this one. And I just can't beat the first boss. I do feel it's the controls. Back to the emulator with my Genesis controller.

chupon

I really enjoyed The Room, which came with one of the Humble Bundles. Not sure if it's an Android exclusive, but it was fun.

Edit: Ah ok looks like it was an iOS exclusive first. Never mind.

tborsje

Now I downloaded Sonic. Probably the best Android game I've played because it only requires two controls. Now I've always sucked at Sonic games but I have beaten them including this one. And I just can't beat the first boss. I do feel it's the controls. Back to the emulator with my Genesis controller.

The Sonic port accepts most (all?) usb controllers. It plays great with a PS3 controller!
It has widescreen rendering as a plus over the Genesis original too.

Top Bottom