• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

With OSes getting leaner and more efficient will 8gb ram be that necessary on a phone?
Tablets sure.

But then again I guess this conversation was had back when pcs transitioned too.

XBP

With OSes getting leaner and more efficient will 8gb ram be that necessary on a phone?
Tablets sure.

But then again I guess this conversation was had back when pcs transitioned too.

Given that most android OEMs care more about having the latest specs in their flagships, I guess they'll be all over this.

Quasar

Tablets sure.

Well I've long had this dream of having a phone as a PC, you just dock it to connect it to a monitor/kb/mouse/network storage and its a desktop PC. With that that ram would be great for multitasking among other things.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well I've long had this dream of having a phone as a PC, you just dock it to connect it to a monitor/kb/mouse/network storage and its a desktop PC. With that that ram would be great for multitasking among other things.

I'm sure you'll have one in about 2 years. They already tried it with the Atrix, I'm sure they will try again.

Quasar

I'm sure you'll have one in about 2 years. They already tried it with the Atrix, I'm sure they will try again.

Maybe. I think it might be a ways off before the idea is implemented well though. And probably Windows is in the best spot OS wise to do it. having separate phone and docked OSes I thought was a bad idea.

Groof

Given that most android OEMs care more about having the latest specs in their flagships, I guess they'll be all over this.
Yes well, I can see that. It's almost a certainty Samsung will rush something out quick to be first. Galaxy S64
This isn't such a stretch anymore really. I mean doesn't the Surface tablets dabble in stuff like this already? Give it a year or two and we'll probably have something way more sophisticated.

NotBacon

It has a snapdragon 801 (better then the 800 the x+1 has btw) , it can handle the screen just fine. Also TouchWiz is fine, and since you just slap the Google now launcher on top of it now, not even a issue.

Well the G3 has 1.5 million more pixels than the Moto X+1........ and they both have the 801 btw.
And just changing 1 portion of the UI on a TouchWiz phone doesn't magically cure it of TouchWiz.......

Changing the launcher doesn't change the settings. The Moto X+1 is rumroed to have a 801 processor like everyone else. The LG G3 sucks screen wise. Colors are bad, brightness is bad, and the phone gets hot. Other than that though...

Thank you.

To be an old man... What is the point of a 2k screen on a smart phone?

There isn't.

I blame pctx for what happened.

Still don't know who this is.
Jk it's me

DarkFlow

Banned
I didn't recommend the Moto X.....

Well the G3 has 1.5 million more pixels than the Moto X+1........ and they both have the 801 btw.
And just changing 1 portion of the UI on a TouchWiz phone doesn't magically cure it of TouchWiz.......

Thank you.

There isn't.

Jk it's me
No, but tochwiz is really not in my face in anymore and frankly I don't care, I never found touchwiz to be all that bad.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want a credit card thin phone. If you think it's unusable, go ahead and try using your credit card like a phone. So good.

DarkFlow

Banned
I want a credit card thin phone. If you think it's unusable, go ahead and try using your credit card like a phone. So good.

J1GEY03.jpg

Not CC thin, but close enough.

I don't see the note 4 as a big enough of a jump from the note 2 im still rocking. My note 2 does everything just fine still. I really wish the note 4 had a 64-bit cpu to future proof it a bit, but what can you do. Will be waiting for next years flagships i guess.

day 1 for me. and that way i'll catch the good not-first-gen 64-bit SoCs in 2 years after they work the kinks out.

I still have a hard time understanding what tangible differences a 64-bit processor is going to bring to the mobile space.

MORE POWER

you could always get a Lumia 520, those things have great performance. someone should do a video of one going up against a GS5 in basic tasks.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm so excited to see what the Note 4 is gonna bring to the table. If all works well, it will be my next phone! So excited.

mturco

I still have a hard time understanding what tangible differences a 64-bit processor is going to bring to the mobile space.

Anandtech talked about the other benefits to 64 bit in their iPhone 5S review and again when Android L was announced.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8231/a-closer-look-at-android-runtime-art-in-android-l/3

tl;dr: The most obvious advantage is the increased addressable memory but there are also general performance gains.

The immediate upsides to moving to 64-bit today are increased performance across the board as well as some huge potential performance gains in certain FP and cryptographic workloads.

Laieon

Would y'all still recommend the Nexus 5 even though the N6 is probably going to be out soon? I just moved to Korea, I had a Moto X back in the states (I loved it, perfect size for me) and the Nexus 5 seems to be the closest thing I can find to that here. It also seems like everything here is a phablet, which kind of sucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how are they going to avoid people touching the screen on the edges? Just ignore anything too close to the sides? I actually have trouble hitting buttons on mobile gaf sometimes on my ipad air - wonder if Apple are already doing something like that?

mturco

Would y'all still recommend the Nexus 5 even though the N6 is probably going to be out soon? I just moved to Korea, I had a Moto X back in the states (I loved it, perfect size for me) and the Nexus 5 seems to be the closest thing I can find to that here. It also seems like everything here is a phablet, which kind of sucks.

Probably not. Too close to the new one. I would at least wait and see what they do first and then the N5 will be cheaper anyway.

how are they going to avoid people touching the screen on the edges? Just ignore anything too close to the sides? I actually have trouble hitting buttons on mobile gaf sometimes on my ipad air - wonder if Apple are already doing something like that?
Yes, they are, and yes, that's what's happening.

Groof

Yes there are algorithms in place to reduce sensitivity near the edges. IPad air does it.

kehs

Banned

mobile gaf be all like

Don't push me, cause I'm close to the edge

ah huh-huh-huh

Pachimari

Now that I am in the process of making a clean install of Windows 7 on my desktop, I would use the opportunity to make it work more together with my new LG G3 mobile device as well.

What can I do with it?

I know about the shared tabs and history in Chrome, but is there any need for Google Drive if I use Dropbox already? I'm also gonna try out the Google Play thing you guys recommended, and I don't use Google Plus as a side note.

Groof

Now that I am in the process of making a clean install of Windows 7 on my desktop, I would use the opportunity to make it work more together with my new LG G3 mobile device as well.

What can I do with it?

I know about the shared tabs and history in Chrome, but is there any need for Google Drive if I use Dropbox already? I'm also gonna try out the Google Play thing you guys recommended, and I don't use Google Plus as a side note.
One tip: get Pushbullet on your phone and in chrome and get it to sync your notifications to your pc. Enjoy.

Lucifon

One tip: get Pushbullet on your phone and in chrome and get it to sync your notifications to your pc. Enjoy.

Cool! Thanks for this, I often sit with my phone on silent and have missed calls because of it. Just tested out and it's really nifty, even sync's the contact name and profile image when you're getting a call. Very handy!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

64 bit wide address bus can be big though I'm not sure how big with the current setup of mobile devices vs the PC.

Pachimari

I got the app for my phone and the extension for desktop Chrome browser. Haven't yet seen it work but is curious if my SMS went through from my Chrome browser.

Fake edit:
Oh nice, Pushbullet just told me an app got updated on my phone.

Just quick now that I'm cleaning up everything, do you guys happen to know where I can see my Google contacts?

Doopliss

It's a bug/feature in mobile GAF.

Anandtech talked about the other benefits to 64 bit in their iPhone 5S review and again when Android L was announced.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8231/a-closer-look-at-android-runtime-art-in-android-l/3

tl;dr: The most obvious advantage is the increased addressable memory but there are also general performance gains.
The general gains sound like what you'd expect from a new architecture rather than being specifically due to being 64-bit.

Furyous

I'm having an interesting morning. I got lost into that the abyss that is android themeing. I'm lurking those LG G3 Android Homescreen threads plotting my customization options. I'm plotting out here for the right time to click that purchase button.

Is there a way to permanently disable icons in the status bar? Coming over from an iPhone all I want is location notification on the right next battery percentage and carrier next to wifi on the left.

I don't want a bezeless phone. I need something to hold onto dammit.

Drifters

Thank you.

There isn't.

Jk it's me
Actually...
and I am not joking... it is me. I'm just trying to lay low this time.

Pachimari

Alternatively you can access it from gmail by clicking on the 'gmail' button (or mail button if your an apps user) on the left:

Thanks for this. I finally got all of my contacts sorted and have them all stored on my Google account.

Now I'm gonna look into the Google Play Music stuff that were talked about earlier in this thread, before looking at rooting it. Is there any benefit to rooting Android? I'm new at this scene.

NotBacon

Is there any benefit to rooting Android? I'm new at this scene.

There was a good discussion on it a few pages back. It gives you su access to your file system, meaning you can: tweak every UI element you can think of (with Xposed and stuff), monitor system processes more closely, allow you to remove/add system apps, full system backups, etc.

It's kinda neat, but I haven't done anything requiring root in a long time (Except for flashing a new ROM recently, but that's a different story) because I've found I don't really need it.

thespot84

Thanks for this. I finally got all of my contacts sorted and have them all stored on my Google account.

Now I'm gonna look into the Google Play Music stuff that were talked about earlier in this thread, before looking at rooting it. Is there any benefit to rooting Android? I'm new at this scene.

what phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom