• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFyn

World of Goo
Monument Valley
Plants vs Zombies
Plants vs zombies and world of goo are free on Amazon atm. I enjoyed monument valley but I don't think it's worth the price.

Is the Note 4 supposed to have so many issues running 3D games and what not? Almost every Gameloft game I've tried runs funny. Even Gangstar 4 started to lag a ton. :/

Also, if any of you have recommendations of games to try, I would appreciate it!
If you haven't downloaded Amazon's app store do that. They have a free app every day and apps are constantly available for free outside the app of the day. They also have sales going 24/7 and apps give in game items and dlc away for free.

As for recommendations what games are you not into?

catmincer

Yo, what would you guys buy someone who wants a 8'+ android tablet these days, sub 350€ (so sub 350$ let's be honest) if possible? There isn't a plethora of reviews about recent android tablets ("whatever") so if you guys have first hand experience, I'll take it.

Xperia Z3 tablet is nice and I am pretty sure it is in your price range.

Someone also mentioned the LG gpad 8.3 also decent and you'd get it for a great price.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think we are being too rough on Samsung skins here. It's not like random battery drains or bugs don't show up on stock android. I personally can't stand touchwiz, but I've had issues on my HTC device, on my n7, and even on my Wear watch, which is obviously stock. An update killed the key step counting functionality. I think Samsung is listening, especially since the s5 sales were disappointing. They have already started using better hardware materials and I think next year they will release phones with less bloat. We will see.

minx

X9lntyi.png

3LGypn8.png

3MIM3e0.png

wtGcNKo.png

Not sure if this helps.

I think we are being too rough on Samsung skins here. It's not like random battery drains or bugs don't show up on stock android. I personally can't stand touchwiz, but I've had issues on my HTC device, on my n7, and even on my Wear watch, which is obviously stock. An update killed the key step counting functionality. I think Samsung is listening, especially since the s5 sales were disappointing. They have already started using better hardware materials and I think next year they will release phones with less bloat. We will see.
there's already less 'bloat' in the Note 4. quite a bit of stuff that came standard is now optional and downloadable from the Samsung app store.

The worst is I paid $5 for this damn powerup to double the bananas I collect so I could get more powerups to do better, only to find out I got fucked because after leveling up a couple of times the power ups started to cost fucking tokens instead of bananas.
Fuck that. LOL
Gameloft is good at making you feel like shit.
I got 25 games for you YMMV if you've played

Walking Dead
Wolf Among Us
Terra Battle
Osmos
World of Goo
Puzzles & Dragons
The World Ends With You
Entwined
Sword & Scorery
Monument Valley
Colin McRae Rally
Skulls of Shogun
Don't Touch the Spike
Magic the Gathering
Pure Chess
Wind Up Knight 2
Rayman Fiesta Run
Rayman Jungle Run
Brave Frontier
Shardlands
Ripetide 2
Plants vs Zombies
M&M Clash of Heroes
Cytus
Downloaded like, 10 of those. Thanks for that sweet list! :)
Plants vs zombies and world of goo are free on Amazon atm. I enjoyed monument valley but I don't think it's worth the price.

If you haven't downloaded Amazon's app store do that. They have a free app every day and apps are constantly available for free outside the app of the day. They also have sales going 24/7 and apps give in game items and dlc away for free.

As for recommendations what games are you not into?
I'm up for anything that's not strategy/sim stuff. Like, Game Dev Story and stuff like that. lol

NotBacon

there's already less 'bloat' in the Note 4. quite a bit of stuff that came standard is now optional and downloadable from the Samsung app store.

Better, but still intrusive and irritating.

I mean, S-Voice still attached to the home button? S-Finder and Quick Connect in the pull-down? That default Samsung keyboard?

It's definitely the best phone Samsung has ever made, and it has some killer features, but the software is still something I could see confusing and ultimately irritating the commoner.

But for power users who know how to tweak the Samsung junk down a notch, it's a great phone right now.

HGStormy

Banned
The default Samsung keyboard is good. I personally love it.
I actually went back and forth between the Samsung keyboard and the Google keyboard. Has some quirks, like the comma key that changes to emoticon or settings depending on which you last used, but I actually liked it better. Dedicated number row was great for passwords.

tzare

I mean, S-Voice still attached to the home button? S-Finder and Quick Connect in the pull-down? That default Samsung keyboard?

It's definitely the best phone Samsung has ever made, and it has some killer features, but the software is still something I could see confusing and ultimately irritating the commoner.

But for power users who know how to tweak the Samsung junk down a notch, it's a great phone right now.
I wish there was a tutorial so i could disable most samsung stuff. Some touchwiz features are awesome, like multiple apps running at same time or making screen smaller with a simple double swipe to help one handed use.
One thing i haven't managed to make work properly is turning the phone on when screen is off by voice commands using s voice. I follow instructions but no luck

I know why Google didn't just put the Inbox features in gmail proper (assuming it was so not to bother the fools who don't like change), but I really wish both apps would just combine and Google offer the new features as an optional thing in settings. Both apps are great and now I don't know which one to use for gmail.

Drifters

I know why Google didn't just put the Inbox features in gmail proper (assuming it was so not to bother the fools who don't like change), but I really wish both apps would just combine and Google offer the new features as an optional thing in settings. Both apps are great and now I don't know which one to use for gmail.
Inbox. Duh.

VoxPop

So I'm picking up a Note 4 for my mom today from T-Mobile. She wants to switch carriers over from Verizon which she is currently using with the iPhone 4. She's currently paying like $90 a month.

She wants to pay less a month (hence the move to T-Mobile) but with the way T-Mobile works now, apparently she's going to have to pay $30 or so extra month for the price of the device for 2 years (which comes out to $80/mo). Does T-Mobile let you pay like 200-300 for the device so she only has to pay like 60-70/mo at most?

Oni Jazar

I've had the Z3 Compact for a couple of weeks now (from an iPhone user since 3G to 5) and it's a great phone but there's a few things potential buyers must know.

1) You absolutely need a durable case protecting it. There are multiple reports out there that a simple low drop can shatter the glass and render the phone unusable. A guy in this thread had his phone crack spontaneously while resting on a table. (post #13). Had I known this was such an issue I may have looked away from Sony.

2) Don't plan on using it underwater. The waterproof specs are only for fresh water. Salt or chlorinated water can and probably will damage the electronics and render the phone inoperable. It may work for a bit in a pool but you have to question why you would dunk your $500+ device into danger for a few pics. It's nice to count on the waterproofing in case you accidentally drop it in the toilet or something but don't take it snorkeling.

3) Remote Play is unusable for me. I'm right next to the system and it always disconnects after a few seconds despite the Vita working fine via direct or wifi.

Other than that I like it. The speed is excellent, battery is awesome, images are crisp, the camera is good to great depending on the lighting.

Coming from iPhone there's a lot of little adjustments I have to make. Here's hoping that Lollipop will satisfy a lot of my issues. I'd like to do more from my lock screen like adjust volume, brightness, read email/texts and use the flashlight. I also miss being able to resume audio on the last app that was playing from the lockscreen on iphone as well as being able to keep audio playing on a video when locked.

Fuck that. LOL
Gameloft is good at making you feel like shit.

Downloaded like, 10 of those. Thanks for that sweet list! :)

I'm up for anything that's not strategy/sim stuff. Like, Game Dev Story and stuff like that. lol

The worst is everything cost a ton of tokens and there isn't an easy way to earn tokens. You have to pretty much buy them. I actually bought an outfit to let you automatically revive once thinking that would be the final thing I need to beat the game, but at level 100 the insane goals you have to get to earn fruit to pass the section make it impossible without buying more and more and more. I've spent at least $30 on this crappy game now and they just released a new update that makes things worse. I have pretty much given up and stopped playing now. There is no unlock everything option either so you continually have to keep paying and paying and paying.

reKon

Banned
I've had the Z3 Compact for a couple of weeks now (from an iPhone user since 3G to 5) and it's a great phone but there's a few things potential buyers must know.

1) You absolutely need a durable case protecting it. There are multiple reports out there that a simple low drop can shatter the glass and render the phone unusable. A guy in this thread had his phone crack spontaneously while resting on a table. (post #13). Had I known this was such an issue I may have looked away from Sony.

2) Don't plan on using it underwater. The waterproof specs are only for fresh water. Salt or chlorinated water can and probably will damage the electronics and render the phone inoperable. It may work for a bit in a pool but you have to question why you would dunk your $500+ device into danger for a few pics. It's nice to count on the waterproofing in case you accidentally drop it in the toilet or something but don't take it snorkeling.

3) Remote Play is unusable for me. I'm right next to the system and it always disconnects after a few seconds despite the Vita working fine via direct or wifi.

Other than that I like it. The speed is excellent, images are crisp, the camera is good to great depending on the lighting.

Coming from iPhone there's a lot of little adjustments I have to make. Here's hoping that Lollipop will satisfy a lot of my issues. I'd like to do more from my lock screen like adjust volume, brightness, read email/texts and use the flashlight. I also miss being able to resume audio on the last app that was playing from the lockscreen on iphone as well as being able to keep audio playing on a video when locked.

I wonder which family member dropped his phone and then put it back on the table.

So I'm picking up a Note 4 for my mom today from T-Mobile. She wants to switch carriers over from Verizon which she is currently using with the iPhone 4. She's currently paying like $90 a month.

She wants to pay less a month (hence the move to T-Mobile) but with the way T-Mobile works now, apparently she's going to have to pay $30 or so extra month for the price of the device for 2 years (which comes out to $80/mo). Does T-Mobile let you pay like 200-300 for the device so she only has to pay like 60-70/mo at most?

Yea you can put money down. I did with my G3 to lower my monthly payments. But keep in mind if she wants to jump, anything more than half the price of the device gets eaten my T-Mo.

VoxPop

Yea you can put money down. I did with my G3 to lower my monthly payments. But keep in mind if she wants to jump, anything more than half the price of the device gets eaten my T-Mo.

Sweet, thanks. What did you mean by half the price of the device gets eaten by T-Mo though?

Sweet, thanks. What did you mean by half the price of the device gets eaten by T-Mo though?

If she gets JUMP! which is their upgrade program, you can upgrade a device at anytime after you have paid off half the price of the device. Anything more, you can still upgrade, but you won't get back the difference.

VoxPop

If she gets JUMP! which is their upgrade program, you can upgrade a device at anytime after you have paid off half the price of the device. Anything more, you can still upgrade, but you won't get back the difference.

Ah ic. I think she's prob just going to opt for the regular money down, and pay off the device over 2 years deal with some money down initially. Thanks for all the info!

Groof

Heh the guy claims it happened with him sitting right there. Guess it could be a huge temperature differential between the phone and ambient surroundings.

This has actually been an issue with many glass-backed phones. iPhone 4s and Nexus 4s have suffered similar fates of cracked backs due to sudden temperature changes. The sad thing is, there's no real way to get it fixed on warranty, since it's so hard to prove.

The Ok, Google hotword detection is dumb now compared to when I first started using it. It still picks up "ok, Google" every time I say it, but these days it could be words that don't even rhyme with the hotword and it'll pop up.

For instance, I was just talking to someone and I said "end of the month", and Google Now pops up. Yo what? haha. In what world does that sound like ok, Google? It went from (much more accurately) picking up almost only my voice in the beginning to picking up everything.

jokkir

The Ok, Google hotword detection is dumb now compared to when I first started using it. It still picks up "ok, Google" every time I say it, but these days it could be words that don't even rhyme with the hotword and it'll pop up.

For instance, I was just talking to someone and I said "end of the month", and Google Now pops up. Yo what? haha. In what world does that sound like ok, Google? It went from (much more accurately) picking up almost only my voice in the beginning to picking up everything.

Your Seach app is drunk or the person who said end of the month has some really heavy accent that somehow sounded like Ok Google

Dre

It's great that Google are updating all their apps to Material Design, but someone messed up the layout on the new Drive widget.

gboKvdv.png

I mean come on Google, is it really so difficult to use a smaller font? It's not a real issue, but I just looks sloppy.

My device has a 720p display btw.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I picked up a Droid Turbo yesterday afternoon. I got the ballistic nylon back, and while I like it, it's a little slippery, so I'm considering returning it for the red version. The screen temperature is a little warmer than I care for, but the display on my G2 spoiled me. I haven't had a chance to test the camera much, but it seems nice. I'm enjoying the Moto add-ons. Nice sound from the front speaker. I'm a little surprised by how quickly my battery has been discharging today, so I'll be keeping an eye on that over the next few days.

3phemeral

It's great that Google are updating all their apps to Material Design, but someone messed up the layout on the new Drive widget.

gboKvdv.png

I mean come on Google, is it really so difficult to use a smaller font? It's not a real issue, but I just looks sloppy.

Speaking of which, Google Music got this huge Material Design update but then they neglect to update things like the playlist shortcuts:

uhVVDuP.jpg

I think so. I only use Chrome as the browser and it uses a lot of my battery. They need better optimization with chrome.

Just using auto brightness on my GS4 (Verizon), Wi-Fi off, 4G data, Chrome browser with 3 or 4 tabs and having Steam running in the back, got it down to like 55% in 3 hours. Plus, the "com.android.chrome.sandboxed" with Chrome took up the 2nd most battery life behind the screen usage.

kehs

Banned

gboKvdv.png

Looks fine on mine.

This the google now launcher though.

TCaeP4e.jpg

Your Seach app is drunk or the person who said end of the month has some really heavy accent that somehow sounded like Ok Google
Nah son, no accent here. This has happened several times, though not often. Clearly, as you said, my search app is drunk. It's the only logical explanation.

Jzero

Nah son, no accent here. This has happened several times, though not often. Clearly, as you said, my search app is drunk. It's the only logical explanation.

Your shit is fucked. This happens to someone i know on his HTC One M8. His does it like every five minutes though. My Nexus 5 has never had this bug.

Your shit is fucked. This happens to someone i know on his HTC One M8. His does it like every five minutes though. My Nexus 5 has never had this bug.
That sucks. I'd just turn it off if it happened to me that often. I'll try deleting the voice data in the Google Now settings again and see if that helps.

I'd like to do more from my lock screen like adjust volume, brightness, read email/texts and use the flashlight. I also miss being able to resume audio on the last app that was playing from the lockscreen on iphone as well as being able to keep audio playing on a video when locked.

I just switched to a Z3 from a iPhone 5S, so I'm making a similar adjustment.

Regarding controlling stuff from the lock screen, it's not a perfect solution, but you can allow widgets to be usable from your lock screen. Go into Settings - Security - and check Allow Widgets on Lock screen. It depends on the app but Gmail definitely works.

Overall I really love the phone, especially as I become more comfortable with Android and get it setup just how I want it. I expected the adjustment to be harder, but I'm really enjoying it. The only things I don't like are the camera (its really laggy and photos look kind of smeared) and the fact you can't tap at the top of the screen to scroll back to the top. The latter is such a small thing but I really miss it!

S Voice can be disabled as always. i use SwiftKey, but the default Samsung KB is pretty good. that other stuff.. yeah...

Isn't it just SwiftKey with a new coat of paint? As, in licensed from SwiftKey to use it as Samsung keyboard?

they license the prediction engine IIRC. everything else is their own stuff.

On Friday I traded in my Xperia sp for a Xperia Z3 and I'm liking it so far. I going to get a case for it this week as I think it really needs one. I would have gone for the Z3 compact or even the new Moto X, but they are carrier exclusive here( I hate that shit).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone have a good rec for a volume booster app (pay or free) that works with HTC One M8? I can't root but need to bump the max headset volume if that's possible.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have a good rec for a volume booster app (pay or free) that works with HTC One M8? I can't root but need to bump the max headset volume if that's possible.
While you're on the subject, what's a good ap for that with or without rooting?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Regarding controlling stuff from the lock screen, it's not a perfect solution, but you can allow widgets to be usable from your lock screen. Go into Settings - Security - and check Allow Widgets on Lock screen. It depends on the app but Gmail definitely works.

Lock screen widgets are gone in Lollipop, if the preview is anything to go by. Swiping left still launches the camera, but swiping right now opens the dialer. No widgets, and there's no setting to enable them. But instead we get lock screen notifications, of course. You can also access quick settings from the lock screen. Overall I think the overall lock screen experience is nicer now, and I personally won't miss the widgets. I get why some will, though.

Toki767

Hmm...I have like $6-7 of Google Play credit expiring at the end of the year. Not sure what apps I should even bother buying.

Jigolo

Where do I check my account credit balance? I bought a 10$ code and only used 8. I didn't know these things expire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom