• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So I have been given an iPhone 6 for work. Not too impressed with it. I find it to be plain. One thing I do give it is the camera is pretty good. My personal phone is a Nexus 5 and find lollipop to be a little smoother, prettier and more intuitive.

tr4656

So I have been given an iPhone 6 for work. Not too impressed with it. I find it to be plain. One thing I do give it is the camera is pretty good. My personal phone is a Nexus 5 and find lollipop to be a little smoother, prettier and more intuitive.
Same situation (in that have both iPhone 6 and Nexus 5). I find apps still to be better on iOS and some stuff are done better but still like Lollipop notifications to be better. I do think iOS 8 feels smoother though but it's all personal preference.

Husker86

can't really call a locking method secure when the cops can just take it from you...

Just tell them you never set it up! And if they force you, use a different finger!

I love TouchID...unfortunately I can't use my iPhone as my main phone for more than a week or two at a time. I always crawl back to my memory-leak ridden Nexus 5.

RedFyn

So I've been contemplating upgrading from my Nexus 5 to either a Nexus 6 or Note 4 and after extensive research I have to admit the 6 is pretty disappointing.

Biggest thing is the mediocre display. I read the AnandTech review and this stood out to me:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/3
You should really try it out if you can. The screen is fine. That brightness chart is also strange; I swear my n6 gets brighter than my n5.

The screen is also much better in low light/no light conditions. I had to install a night filter on my n5 but it isn't necessary on the 6.

Just tell them you never set it up! And if they force you, use a different finger!

I love TouchID...unfortunately I can't use my iPhone as my main phone for more than a week or two at a time. I always crawl back to my memory-leak ridden Nexus 5.

they're just gonna go both thumbs then random index anyway.

NotBacon

So I've been contemplating upgrading from my Nexus 5 to either a Nexus 6 or Note 4 and after extensive research I have to admit the 6 is pretty disappointing.

Biggest thing is the mediocre display. I read the AnandTech review and this stood out to me:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/3

Looks like I'm going with the Note 4. smh Googy. I wanted to like it but it's clear that the Nexus 6 was kind of an afterthought that spawned from the Android Silver debacle.

Mhmm, mhmm. Oh, so you haven't actually used a Nexus 6, gotcha.

Display is based. Phone is based. Go play with one and fall in love.

terrier

Meh it's just a total package kind of thing. For me personally, the size/build quality/camera/battery/etc...There's literally not a single negative thing I can point out in my day to day experiences.

Meanwhile I love my nexus 9 but it has shitty ass battery life and lollipop performance is questionable. When I used my nexus 5 as my main I loved it but the battery life was garbage. When I had my HTC One M7 I thought the battery was just alright and I'm not a huge fan of sense even if it was a big improvement over their previous versions.

I've always said it but with android it always seems to be a pick your poison kind of thing for me personally. Which one has the flaw I'm willing to live with lol. But this year I'm willing to be a little flexible (though not on battery). Soooooo impress me mofos.

I feel the same about my note 4 and i can say the same for relatives with phones like Z3 for example. The total package is great. I do not see what does iphone offer over those two devices for example, OS preferences aside.

pd. in fact, it is also a bit tiring this argument of 'total package'. As if android flagships didn't offer that. Sure, some devices may not be perfect,iphone isn't either , but most of them are great 'overall'. Then is a matter of choice, some seem to love htc speakers, other being waterproof , finger print scanner or expandable storage etc etc....

kharma45

I'm getting one with work soon too. Tempted to hold off for the S models. By the time I actually get mine it'll be February if not March.

terrier

So facebook has launched facebook lite, only available on certain areas for low end phones and bad data connections. Interesting approach. Should be available worlwide though..

Blackhead

Redarse
10 Material Design Android apps you should be using right now
TheVerge said:
yMlSZi8.jpg
Best designed apps on any mobile OS right now

grmlin

I think material is great to get things done, if you're not a ux designer or don't have the money to hire one. It's a little bit like bootstrap for the web.
I think Android did this before, too. But the design wasn't that great...

Also it's good google found a design language it uses in all of it's apps now. But a world with all apps looking basically the same? Thanks no :)

Groof

I think material is great to get things done, if you're not a ux designer or don't have the money to hire one. It's a little bit like bootstrap for the web.
I think Android did this before, too. But the design wasn't that great...

Also it's good google found a design language it uses in all of it's apps now. But a world with all apps looking basically the same? Thanks no :)
They're not supposed to look the same. They're supposed to follow certain guidelines to make the experience consistent, among other things. Honestly some of the picks in that article are the most generic of the generic and it makes no sense for them to be on a best of list.

Blackhead

Redarse
Could any of you Touchwiz loving fiends write an review or link to a video of its multitasking/multiwindow experience? Do you use Link Bubble (my web browser of choice on stock Lollipop so far but not such how well in works in multiwindow) or prefer the Touchwiz thingie?

Could any of you Touchwiz loving fiends write an review or link to a video of its multitasking/multiwindow experience? Do you use Link Bubble (my web browser of choice on stock Lollipop so far but not such how well in works in multiwindow) or prefer the Touchwiz thingie?

faceless get on it

j-wood

Question for anyone who has used swappa before:

I'm selling my girlfriends old phone. It has this weird issue where the battery drains really fast once it hits 40%. I was noticing in the swappa selling conditions it said the battery must be functional.

Does this qualify as functional? Obviously I'm going to list what happens in the description, but I'm not sure if swappa will still allow the phone to be sold.

mturco

Question for anyone who has used swappa before:

I'm selling my girlfriends old phone. It has this weird issue where the battery drains really fast once it hits 40%. I was noticing in the swappa selling conditions it said the battery must be functional.

Does this qualify as functional? Obviously I'm going to list what happens in the description, but I'm not sure if swappa will still allow the phone to be sold.

I would say almost definitely not. Does it have a replaceable battery? Might be worth it to get a new battery and then sell it as completely functional.

That's always been a pipe dream. Don't think Sony has any interest.

But I am also pulling this out of my ass. My only evidence is HTC made the nexus 9 and they stated today will be a SURPRISING YEAR.

I don't think it means that much. It's not like we got an Asus Nexus phone, just because they made the 7 for two years.

j-wood

I would say almost definitely not. Does it have a replaceable battery? Might be worth it to get a new battery and then sell it as completely functional.

It does not. It's an iPhone. I know this is the Android thread, but I like you guys better :)

mturco

It does not. It's an iPhone. I know this is the Android thread, but I like you guys better :)

Haha well I guess you could try selling it and explain the battery situation in the description and see what the Swappa staff does... or alternatively you could sell it in their "boneyard" section which allows selling partially broken devices. It looks like things still sell for a decent amount in there depending on what's wrong (and a battery replacement shouldn't be too big of a deal).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I switched to Flynx instead of Link Bubble. Runs smoother.

Wreav

Banned
Spotify has much better quality in my testing, tried Google's trial just last week and was sorely disappointed in their bitrate/quality.

j-wood

The downside with spotify so far is it doesn't have some of the albums that play music does. Yet play music doesn't have some of the albums spotify does.

This is just stupid. Why can't everything be available to one service?

Example:

Play music has almost all of the black keys albums, but zero metallica albums

Spotify has all the metallica albums, but only up to the "Brothers" album of black keys.

Ugh.

xxczx

The downside with spotify so far is it doesn't have some of the albums that play music does. Yet play music doesn't have some of the albums spotify does.

This is just stupid. Why can't everything be available to one service?

Example:

Play music has almost all of the black keys albums, but zero metallica albums

Spotify has all the metallica albums, but only up to the "Brothers" album of black keys.

Ugh.
Google Music one ups on this front as you can upload your own music to the cloud (even without a subscription).

Personally after an avid Spotify user, I made the switch to Google Music for a month to try out and never went back to Spotify. Only thing I miss is 'following' artists and getting updates on when an album is released, but I follow blogs anyway so I never miss an album.

Wreav

Banned
As a lover of music, actual quality of sound will always trump selection for me.

I agree that Google has a better selection of music, though.

RedFyn

Play music as it doesn't have ads. Once my sub is up I'll probably just switch back to Spotify and pandora but maybe not. I'm definitely enjoying play. The sound is fine for me and they have the music i like. It also plays well with a low signal; something Spotify seemed to struggle with when I was using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom