• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Fantastic Four’: Julia Garner Joins Marvel Studios Movie As A Shalla-Bal Version Of Silver Surfer

Draugoth

Gold Member
Julia-garner.jpg

With the four actors set to play the iconic members of the super team, Marvel StudiosThe Fantastic Four now has its sights set on who will play Silver Surfer, and it looks like they are going with one of the towns biggest rising stars.

Sources tell Deadline that Emmy winner Julia Garner is set to play the iconic comic book character in Marvel Studios’ The Fantastic Four. Pedro Pascal will play Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic), Vanessa Kirby is Sue Storm (aka the Invisible Woman), Joseph Quinn is Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch) and Ebon Moss-Bachrach is Ben Grimm (aka the Thing).

via Deadline

Trogdor1123

Wait, is this silver surfer or a different herald? If it is silver surfer it will never forgive marvel. I won’t watch another one of their movies and will cancel Disney. Silver surfer is my all time favorite character. I’ve literally waited years for him to be done right…

Billbofet

At this point, it would be subversive for Marvel to hire a male for this role - even though that is what 99.9999% of the normies would associate with the character.
Disney just keeps trying to suck as much as possible. They are succeeding in that regard.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Remember when Marvel was host to A- Listers playing their characters
Now they just random nobody's and yet the films cost more then CGI looks worse and are just bad films
They make shit like Daredevil look good.

So what, this is the earth x version of silver surfer? Why tho?
And norrin was also the silver surfer there, what a strange decision.

FunkMiller

For anyone trying to excuse this latest piece of lame brainery from Disney… do you truly think they’ve gone with this casting because they really want to have a different herald from Norrin Radd? That they were just desperate to make sure there was a different Silver Surfer from the only one anyone knows or cares about?

…or is it purely being done for ideological and political reasons, with no actual creative thought behind it?

Honestly, I can’t believe people are still apologising for, and accepting, Disney’s complete and utter lack of creativity.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Remember when Marvel was host to A- Listers playing their characters
Now they just random nobody's and yet the films cost more then CGI looks worse and are just bad films
They make shit like Daredevil look good.
Marvel almost NEVER hired a current A list actor. The leads were all unknowns or B- actors at best. They got some "past their prime" A listers in support roles for sure. They turned actors INTO A listers, at least for a while, though most of that is fading.as well.

Do agree with tour second paragraph, 100%.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Shalla-Bal was only a silver surfer in the Earth-9997 universe. I wonder which universe this movie is set in? If it's Earth-9997 then Franklin Richards is Galactus because that's who made her a silver surfer alongside Norrin Radd. If she was just pulled from there then that's kinda lame, but plausible.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Marvel almost NEVER hired a current A list actor. The leads were all unknowns or B- actors at best. They got some "past their prime" A listers in support roles for sure. They turned actors INTO A listers, at least for a while, though most of that is fading.as well.

Do agree with tour second paragraph, 100%.
They did initially. Rdj and Edward Norton were both definitely A-list actors. Even if they've had their own issues. Chris Evans wasn't legendary status but he was still pretty well known at that point.

The only one really of the original first few movies who was a wildcard was Chris Hemsworth.

From phase 2 they definitely went more to b list/tv actors to head up movies

jason10mm

Gold Member
They did initially. Rdj and Edward Norton were both definitely A-list actors. Even if they've had their own issues. Chris Evans wasn't legendary status but he was still pretty well known at that point.

The only one really of the original first few movies who was a wildcard was Chris Hemsworth.

From phase 2 they definitely went more to b list/tv actors to head up movies
RDJ was NOT an A lister at that time. He was a HUGE gamble and Faverau had to fight hard to keep him. Norton was critically acclaimed, but not on the level of Schwarzeneggar, Cruise, Will Smith, Stallone, Deniro, or what would traditionally be an "A lister". I'd say the DC films cast far more popular actors with Affleck, Pine, Gadot, etc, or the Xmen films with Stewart, Mccellan, J Law, and Berry.

These days we don't really have classic movie stars so I'm not sure anyone is A List anymore, but for the MCU it was always the support cast with Hopkins, Jeff Bridges, Redford, and Douglas and the like who were the established major actors but kinda in their twilight career. That's a better choice, I think. Cast the lead as the most charismatic fit (and they CRUSHED IT with all the Chris', RDJ, etc) and surround them with known talent. Lately the MCU doesn't seem able to do this nearly as well as in phase 1-2.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
She’s great in Ozark.

I personally don’t know shit about Marvel so don’t care which version of any character they use.

clarky

Gold Member
I dunno about that, I didn't really know who rdj was before iron man, I guess I had seen him in a scanner darkly, but really nothing else.

Dude won best Actor* before going off the rails, he might not have been at his peak when cast as Iron man but he was definitely A list, whatever that means.

Edit* Got nominated but still was very well know before going off the rails.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

RDJ was NOT an A lister at that time. He was a HUGE gamble and Faverau had to fight hard to keep him. Norton was critically acclaimed, but not on the level of Schwarzeneggar, Cruise, Will Smith, Stallone, Deniro, or what would traditionally be an "A lister". I'd say the DC films cast far more popular actors with Affleck, Pine, Gadot, etc, or the Xmen films with Stewart, Mccellan, J Law, and Berry.

These days we don't really have classic movie stars so I'm not sure anyone is A List anymore, but for the MCU it was always the support cast with Hopkins, Jeff Bridges, Redford, and Douglas and the like who were the established major actors but kinda in their twilight career. That's a better choice, I think. Cast the lead as the most charismatic fit (and they CRUSHED IT with all the Chris', RDJ, etc) and surround them with known talent. Lately the MCU doesn't seem able to do this nearly as well as in phase 1-2.
RDJ was a huge risk cause of his addiction issues, but he was definitely considered A-list, some of it was nepotism for sure but he was always considered Hollywood royalty.

I'd also argue the type of A-lister you refer to died off in the early 2000s, we've never had actors/actresses reach that status since really. and you can't have 60-year-old men running around as 30-year-old cap, it was just never gonna happen.

Top Bottom