• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost 'Fantastic Four' Movie Is Finally Getting Its Story Told

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Lost 'Fantastic Four' Movie Is Finally Getting Its Story Told

ff-higher_res.jpg

The original big screen Fantastic Four is finally getting its due, 22 years later.

Doomed: The Untold Story of Roger Corman’s the Fantastic Four, the anticipated documentary detailing the drama behind the fabled 1994 Fantastic Four, is being released Tuesday. The doc tells the surprisingly touching tale of how the cast thought the rushed, low-budget film would propel them to stardom — with some of them going as far as spending their own money to travel the country and hire a publicist to promote the film.

As the documentary tells, the film never hit the big screen, with its rise and fall becoming the stuff of legend. Doomed explores the long-reported assumption that Corman's Fantastic Four was made so that Constantin Film could retain the rights before they expired and reverted to Marvel. The film was buried, but thanks to bootlegging, VHS copies began popping up at fan conventions and eventually became a cult classic, with Doomed director Marty Langford being among its devoted followers.

"I didn't want it to get ugly. I knew we'd get into some deceit and unpleasantness, but I certainly didn't want to do a hatchet job on either them or the movie," Langford tells Heat Vision of approaching those behind the movie. "I wanted to let them finally get the attention and the respect that I thought they deserved."

Langford had been waiting for years for someone to tell the untold tale of the film, the first to portray Reed Richards (Alex Hyde-White), Sue Storm (Rebecca Staab), Johnny Storm (Jay Underwood) and Ben Grimm (Michael Bailey Smith as Ben, Carl Ciarfalio as The Thing) — and the big- screen battle against Victor Von Doom (Joseph Culp).

"If you did see the movie, the limousine shot at the end when the arm comes out and the human torch animation — it looks bad," says Langford of Fantastic Four's limitations. "But the movie is not a joke. The movie, for what it is, it works."

EEsiNvk.gif

Langford lives and works in Massachusetts, where he's a film studies faculty member at American International College in Springfield. He came out to Los Angels for a few weeks of photography, where the team landed a last-minute conversation with Corman, whom he describe as "gracious and open."

"He didn't give us anything that wasn't already public, but we weren't expecting that. We just knew we wanted him to legitimize the film," says Langford. "The people we really wanted, someone from Constantin Films, Avi Arad from Marvel. Those were the guys who wouldn't talk to us."

After the film was completed, it went over to distributor Uncork'd Entertainment, where the long process of clearing music and footage began — as well as setting it up for small screenings across the country.

"It's important to me that after all this work, I want them to make a little money. Nobody gets rich making documentaries. It's blood, sweat and tears," says Uncork'd president Keith Leopard. "A lot of them go, 'If I just see them out, that'll be enough.' I go, 'Well what if we paid you back for the cost to make it and then some?' "

Fantastic Four may be Marvel's first family, but it's faced a troubled track record on the big screen. Fantastic Four (2005) and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) received mixed reactions from fans, while 2015's Fantastic Four reboot was a commercial and critical bomb. Unexpectedly, Corman's campy, low-budget Fantastic Four remains the best loved of the Four films for some fans.

"They didn't have the budget effects or couldn’t hire A-level talent. They had to rely on a simple story." says Langford. "[The other movies] concentrate on the action and the big set pieces. You need to make it a story about a family, not a story about cosmic annihilation. I think that's what the Corman movie got so right and the other three got so wrong."a

Trailer for the film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhNTALUoQUk

Tansut

Honestly for a movie that had a budget of whatever producers found in their couch cushions, it actually has its heart in the right place.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its most likely better than the actual movies that have been released shitty effects and all aside. The actual movie has been floating around at there for a long time if you really want to watch it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
People like to trash the Fox films but the truth is Chris Evans gave the world the best on screen Johnny Storm we'll ever see.

Poor Michael B. Jordan.

aCfjaXA.gif

With all the fans who re-edit the Star Wars movies and add in fixed effects and stuff I think it would be so cool to see someone go in and "fix" all the effects on this.

PSqueak

Banned
People like to trash the Fox films but the truth is Chris Evans gave the world the best on screen Johnny Storm we'll ever see.

Poor Michael B. Jordan.

aCfjaXA.gif

Why you post a picture of lucas Lee in a post about Evans?

That guy is so much better than Evans btw, have you seen Action Doctor? Man, now that was an awesome movie.

My only real problem with the 2015 film is it virtually has no second act. It's like they lost 50 min of footage somehow but had no choice but to release something.

DeviantBoi

That Fantastic Four movie was shot the same year that Jurassic Park came out?

For some reason I thought it was early 80s.

Wow.

Boogiepop

As people have said, it weirdly enough is still the best Fantastic Four movie. Like, it's not a good movie and has plenty of flaws (most notably the terrible special effects, yeah), but it's still better than the other 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom