• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need the s pen?

If not you can get the GS6 vs the Note for cheaper, and they have the same internals.

Battery life is much worse on the 6 vs the note 5

Pretty much this, I want something with a battery that is guaranteed to get me through the day, I'm not sure the GS6 is that phone. :/

I could cheap out and get a Xiaomi Mi5 off AliExpress, but I'm not convinced by the camera, especially in low light conditions.

If only the GS7 was <£400. Or if I had more money!

kharma45

Pretty much this, I want something with a battery that is guaranteed to get me through the day, I'm not sure the GS6 is that phone. :/

I could cheap out and get a Xiaomi Mi5 off AliExpress, but I'm not convinced by the camera, especially in low light conditions.

If only the GS7 was <£400. Or if I had more money!

That's why there's the Edge Plus that I suggested.

thenexus6

BLU Life Mark on amazon UK for £99

544_45.png

Metal frame,
Fingerprint scanner

How does this processor stack up against the SD ones?

Nikodemos

Samsung would of had zero desire to use android wear no matter how customization or great it was. Once Tizen was ready they made the switch complete. Samsung only uses Android on their phones because they have to.
I wonder whether they'll release a full phone with Tizen. Google getting bitchslapped by the Commission regarding the store might accelerate this.

I wonder whether they'll release a full phone with Tizen. Google getting bitchslapped by the Commission regarding the store might accelerate this.

They already have in india? and they are awful phones. There is way too much ground to cover to catch up to google and apple.

Saw this comment from a reader on the ars moto leak story. Had to post it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/moto-x-leaks-point-to-an-all-metal-device/?comments=1

"I've had the original Moto X and the 2014 Moto X, and my SO has the Moto X Pure. After having them abandon me with software updates less than a year into buying the 2014, and an unbelievably terrible customer service experience when my SO got a defective Pure (instead of simply exchanging her phone they made her return hers and repurchase, but they would only give her a credit for the lowest priced stock version so she had to pay for all of her upgrades a 2nd time with a promise that they would refund her the amount she paid for the upgrades after they received her old phone, though without the sales tax. That's bad enough on its own, and 5 months later she still hasn't even received her money back and they told Chase they did so Chase won't do the chargeback. She's still fighting Motorola for the money and getting the runaround) I'll never ever buy another Motorola phone and I'll tell everyone I know to steer clear as well."

Really looking forward to google's hardware division. Hopefully it becomes what some wanted Motorola to be.

Broank

Looking at that Moto x breaks my heart a little.

Massive chin and bezel instead of the tiny ones.
Generic slippery slab instead of the nice ergonomic curve.
Big ass camera bump sticking out instead of the recessed one.
Buttons way up on the top instead of in the middle ones.
Back facing speaker (?) instead of stereo front facing.
Probably no customization(?)
Probably not water resistant/proof(?)

All they had to do was put the fingerprint scanner on the dimple where it was meant to be and wireless charging and they had the perfect design. Instead they just got rid of everything that was right with the design before.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Let's keep the train rollin'

Both models feature 5.5-inch AMOLED displays, but otherwise, their spec sheets read completely differently, according to the person who shared the details. Vector Thin is the decidedly higher-end handset, with a Quad HD resolution to Vertex&#8217;s Full HD display, and a slightly lower-clocked version of Qualcomm&#8217;s Snapdragon 820 system-on-chip (2.0GHz quad core) to its sibling&#8217;s Snapdragon 625 (an octa core chip reportedly clocked at 2.4GHz instead of the stock 2.0GHz).

Vector Thin will ship with 32GB of storage capacity in conjunction with either 3GB or 4GB of RAM, while Vertex will allegedly come in either 16GB storage / 2GB RAM or 32GB storage / 3GB RAM configurations. Camera configurations are also said to differ. Vertex purportedly sports a 16-megapixel sensor with both laser-assisted and phase detection autofocus technologies, while Vector&#8217;s 13-megapixel sensor has only the laser AF, but with optical image stabilization thrown in too.

Externally, the only major difference, as its name suggests, is Vector Thin&#8217;s incredibly svelte profile: at 5.2 millimeters thick, it&#8217;s even slimmer than Vertex&#8217;s already respectable thickness of about 7mm. As you might suspect, Vector&#8217;s thinness comes at the price of reduced battery capacity: It contains just a 2600mAh cell, compared to the 3500mAh pack in the less-pixel-dense Vertex.

The bigger story here starts with those 16 holes seen on the back of the white Vertex, above. While they&#8217;ve been written off in some coverage as speaker ports, they are actually connection pins that allow modular backplates to be snapped onto either handset.

Motorola has at least six modules, called &#8220;Amps,&#8221; planned for launch, including a simple colored backplate that ships free with both handsets. The more interesting ones will be, of course, sold separately, both from Moto as well as third-party manufacturers. The first-party modules available at launch allegedly include stereo speakers; a battery pack; a camera grip with flash and optical zoom; a pico projector; and a rugged cover with wide angle lens attachment.

It should now be clear that the phones&#8217; protruding camera lens will actually sit flush when there are Amps attached. They&#8217;re connected magnetically in a manner that was said to make for a tight, secure connection while also allowing for easy removal.

This modular system, and the one introduced by LG with the LG G5, are undoubtedly similar and will prompt comparisons in the press. And despite being first to market, LG is very likely going to come out on the losing end of these evaluations. Focusing so tightly on offering a removable battery seems to have hamstrung the Korean manufacturer into a form factor not nearly as well-suited for the task as Motorola&#8217;s.

....modules

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/09/m...-x-flagships-with-a-modular-backplate-design/

this_guy

It's time to put Moto in the same category as OnePlus. Decent hardware that's near stock but expect no support if you have defects.

I'm using a 2015 Moto X Pure and haven't had issues but I'm not considering future Motos with all the customer service issues I've been reading about.

Looking to upgrade soon and trying to decide between Nexus 6P and Galaxy s7 edge. Ever since I switched to Android I've only used Nexus devices and have really appreciated stock android / lack of bloat ware and getting updates right away.

So anyway does anyone know how easy it is to emulate something like stock android on a S7? I've used nova launcher on my Nexus 5 since I found the icons to be too big. Does nova launcher work the exact same on all android phones?

Would I have any issues not using the Samsung version of an app and opting for the google version?

Looking to upgrade soon and trying to decide between Nexus 6P and Galaxy s7 edge. Ever since I switched to Android I've only used Nexus devices and have really appreciated stock android / lack of bloat ware and getting updates right away.

So anyway does anyone know how easy it is to emulate something like stock android on a S7? I've used nova launcher on my Nexus 5 since I found the icons to be too big. Does nova launcher work the exact same on all android phones?

Would I have any issues not using the Samsung version of an app and opting for the google version?

s7 edge is better phone. nova works same everywhere. In many cases samsung app might be better such as camera. international version has kickass battery life as well.It is water proof has amazing camera better performance and looks beautiful.

Broank

Huh... I got my Nexus live case even though I got an email that there was a problem and they weren't sending it. Oh well free case! (I'll probably never use it tbh since I'm naked 4 life)

Looks really awesome with the image on it and is about as slim as a case can get. Feels pretty flimsy like any other cheap slim case and you have to press the nfc button so hard that it isn't really practical to use.

....modules

Ok modular backplates actually sounds kinda interesting and potentially nixes some of my problems with the design (not the screen to bezel ratio unfortunately)

Noema

Nova launcher should work on the Galaxy, as should most Google Apps. I believe that the newest version of the Google camera is a nexus exclusive but you wouldn't want to use that on a Galaxy anyway.

If price isn't an issue and you aren't OCD about timely updates, go for the S7e.

LeleSocho

Banned
Those chins... What's this new thing where manufacturers decide to put the button in the chin off centered? Why the button is so tiny? and what the heck are those two black dots near it?
Who the hell designed the front of this phone and why he thought it was a good design?

The dots are IR readers for Moto Display.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a new N image out? How is it?

Bought the Nexus 5x and really liking it so far! It's crazy light, great screen, wanted a fingerprint reader for extra security. Thanks everyone for the suggestion!

Yay for more unnecessary unoptimized security patches every month to break something on your phone every time you receive one.

Security updates wont need to be rushed if the processes holding updates back is stopped.
This is more about carriers finally being investigated for holding Android back. What do you think HTC, Sony and Motorola are going to say when they are asked why they cant get updates through carriers? Lol

The FCC/FTC is finally going to learn all about how Apple gets to do whatever they want while they other companies have to play in Verizon labs for months.

clav

Yay for more unnecessary unoptimized security patches every month to break something on your phone every time you receive one.

Blame the manufacturers on that one. If your drivers are closed source, then instability occurs in Linux.

If you buy one of those devices, you are also part of the problem since you support that kind of practice.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's amazing how much better my SOs GS6 is vs all of the 810 devices in terms of heat. It's night and fucking day in terms of chipset thermals.

Asgaro

Well, they can try... But they already tried smartphones with their own OS: the Samsung Wave series with Bada OS.
I was using one (the S8500) until June last year. Bada OS got abandoned after a year or two.

If Samsung could lock down their own crafted OS and have a quality control setup even half as good as Apples as far as what apps could be on a dedicated Samsung device that would be brilliant!

I know part of the magic of Android is that it is open but could you imagine well designed and optimized apps running on a phone with Galaxy 7 specs... that would be amazing.

Oh and the new Moto phones make me sad inside... such greatness at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom