• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Police: Verizon's 'unlimited' PopData scheme is all kinds of bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

Just when you thought Verizon couldn't be less of a shit.

Sprint has unlimited data. T-Mobile has unlimited data. AT&T has unlimited data. True, all of these offerings have limits on unlimited, like T-Mo's extra charges for HD video and tethering and how AT&T will only give you unlimited data if you also pay for a bloated DirecTV contract. But Verizon's staunch refusal to allow customers access to the unlimited data spigot, not to mention pushing grandfathered unlimited data customers away, has been a big point in favor of its competitors. Verizon feels so insecure about its lack of unlimited plans that its advertising tries to tell customers why unlimited data sucks.

Link to video in article: https://youtu.be/9z_4b1Gei4Q

So today, Verizon has announced that it's finally bringing back unlimited mobile data. But it wouldn't be Verizon without ridiculous anti-consumer restrictions. And boy, do we have them in spades here. You see, Verizon's unlimited PopData isn't a conventional data plan with unlimited use. No, it's a pass that you can buy for a limited amount of time with unlimited data.

Want to stream video or download a big file without worrying about going over your cap? Well no problem, Verizon customer - just pay Big Red two bucks through the carrier app, and you can binge worry-free for all of thirty minutes. If you have to something to take care of that's a little bigger, an hour of unlimited access can be yours for the low, low price of $3. It's basically taking a paid airport Wi-Fi model and applying it to your data plan. On your Verizon phone. That you already pay for.

This might actually make sense in a few situations. If you're desperate to get a big file or you need to join a data-heavy video conference, and there's no free Wi-Fi anywhere in the immediate area, two or three bucks doesn't seem like much to pay. And that's why it's evil. Verizon is applying the drip feed in-app purchase model from sleazy mobile games to something that actually matters in the real world. Never mind that the applications you really want a full unlimited connection for, like Netflix or tethered laptop use or online gaming, are things for which you've already paid someone else.

This is the interface:
nexus2cee_screenshot_thumb.png

And it's not as if the company is even offering something that they don't already give you - that LTE data connection will be there, accessible and uninterrupted, whether you're paying extra or not. Verizon just wants a little extra money every time you plan to use their network for extended streaming or downloading, the advanced capabilities that have been splattered all over every Verizon commercial for years. It's also pretty obvious that there's no technical limitation preventing Verizon from offering unlimited data in a standard premium plan, without the pretense and nickel-and-dime approach to service that's already being provided.

It's bullshit, pure and simple. Verizon's marketing claims that PopData is a way to "escape the bounds of public Wi-Fi" and "stream at the speed of our 4G LTE network." Those are reasons to use Verizon's much-touted network in the first place, not reasons to charge extra (literally by the minute - as if we were back in 2002!) to customers who are already paying.

More issues with PopData, including limitations covered by the FAQ:

PopData is only available on LTE. If you're camping somewhere and want to stream on Verizon's large 3G network, you can't avoid hitting your data cap.
PopData's timed limits start as soon as you activate them, and end 30 or 60 minutes later, no matter the actual performance of the network in that time. There is no way to pause the timer. If you're the only one on a rural tower, you might get 50 megabits per second down the entire time. But if you're in the middle of a congested city, you might get 4mbps... and it doesn't matter if you do. If that isn't enough to get the big file you want, too bad - that'll be another $3.

FAQ:

nexus2cee_popdata.png

PopData's time limits apply even if you leave a Verizon coverage area or the network goes down. Did you only get five minutes of unlimited access? Better luck next time. (Verizon is requiring a location based service in order to start PopData, so presumably congestion and location problems will be taken into consideration as to whether it's offered or not, but there are no guarantees.)
PopData is only available to post-paid customers, with charges showing up on their next bill. Prepaid customers - those with low data caps who might really want an hour of unlimited service - aren't invited.

Verizon's marketing is centered on the fact that it's a "premium" network, faster and more reliable than it's competitors. That's true, for the most part and in most locations in the US. But a premium network wouldn't cynically withhold unlimited data and try to convince us that we don't need it, only to try and sell it back to us a half-hour at a time for even more money. A premium network wouldn't treat its customers like carnival patrons, insisting on a few dollars a go for the real deal. A premium network wouldn't spend years lording its superiority over its competitors, then try to swindle its paying customers into paying even more for what it claims it can't provide.

This is so condescending

nexus2cee_verizon-unlimited_thumb.png

I like this last bit here.

My grandfather used to say, "don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining." If I was a Verizon customer, told for years that I couldn't pay for unlimited data and that unlimited plans from other carriers weren't worth the bother, my toes would feel pretty damp right now.

Please lock if old.

Link to article: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/13/verizons-unlimited-popdata-scheme-is-all-kinds-of-bullshit/

Lace

Still grandfathered with Verizon's unlimited 100gb deal for $60 a month. I feel for those getting shit on by their new unlimited policy.

So glad I switched to T-Mobile when I got my new phone.

I don't see how they get away with their prices. I had a 6GB shared between two lines with Verizon. When I switched to T-Mobile I set up two lines and they asked how much data I wanted, I went with 6GB again. It was about $30/ month less than Verizon. I didn't realize until I got the first bill that we're getting 6GB per line, not shared.

I currently have Verizon solely because of an employee discount. I used to have Sprint which was completely terrible almost everywhere. Verizon is infinitely better but also extremely greedy. I'd love to ditch them if the others could step up their coverage. They never cease to find scummy ways to raise prices. I'd really like for the competition to eat their lunch some more and force Verizon to try.

geomon

Switched last year to T-Mo and never looked back. Verizon is the Comcast of mobile carriers as far as I'm concerned.

I briefly considered dropping T-Mobile a few years back for the better network but then I realized that I travel to rural areas so damn infrequently and T-Mobile coverage along highways has gotten much better that it wasn't worth the data caps and the crazy costs.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I can't say this with all certainty, but when I lived in Singapore, my internet went out and my girlfriend offered to just plug her phone into my laptop so i could tether her data. I asked if she was worried about being charged more or going over her data plan and she asked what I was talking about. I then explained American cell phone plans and she went on to tell me that she had never heard of such a thing and that no one would put up with that over there, lol. I also described to her how our phones are locked and again, she had never heard of that.

Not sure how accurate that is now, haven't lived there since 2012.

On a side note, you should have seen the look on her face during Singapore's elections when I asked what the debate on abortion (pro-life/pro-choice) was like there, lol.

She couldn't believe how intense the debate is in America when I described it to her.

jwk94

So glad I switched to T-Mobile when I got my new phone.

I don't see how they get away with their prices. I had a 6GB shared between two lines with Verizon. When I switched to T-Mobile I set up two lines and they asked how much data I wanted, I went with 6GB again. It was about $30/ month less than Verizon. I didn't realize until I got the first bill that we're getting 6GB per line, not shared.
They get away because they have the best coverage, bar none. I switched from Verizon to Tmobile when I moved out of my parents place and the only place I got signal was in the city. Even indoors I didn't get signal a good majority of the time. So I switched to att. Coverage isn't a problem anymore but I only get 6gb of high speed data for $60/a month. It's a downgrade from my Tmobile plan but there's no point in having a ton of data if your carrier is so crappy you can't use it.

They get away because they have the best coverage, bar none. I switched from Verizon to Tmobile when I moved out of my parents place and the only place I got signal was in the city. Even indoors I didn't get signal a good majority of the time. So I switched to att. Coverage isn't a problem anymore but I only get 6gb of high speed data for $60/a month. It's a downgrade from my Tmobile plan but there's no point in having a ton of data if your carrier is so crappy you can't use it.

And no point in having a ton of coverage if the same plan is prohibitively more expensive, you can't switch phones nearly as often, and you are crippled by a laughably low amount of data in comparison.

I guess it just comes down to how you use your phone and what the respective coverage is like where you live. If you could possibly take advantage of any streaming service on your phone and the coverage is even remotely comparable, going with Verizon is not a good call.

kmfdmpig

I wish that T-Mobile's network here in the Phoenix area had not been shit 4-5 years ago. That led me to switch and while the other carriers have become more and more customer-centric Verizon continues to have the "Fuck you if you want a decent network then pay/play by our rules" attitude.

At this point the network makes me tolerate Verizon's BS, but I'm not sure how long that will remain the case.

Does that mean that they are sorta caving in?

Ive had verizon for 10years but enough is enough with their crazy over priced plans, im so tempted to drop them for tmobile since I get good reception at work and home(which matter the most)..

I just don't know if I should hold the fort for verizon to maybe implement "unlimited" data or jump ship...

I wish that T-Mobile's network here in the Phoenix area had not been shit 4-5 years ago. That led me to switch and while the other carriers have become more and more customer-centric Verizon continues to have the "Fuck you if you want a decent network then pay/play by our rules" attitude.

At this point the network makes me tolerate Verizon's BS, but I'm not sure how long that will remain the case.

Maybe AT&T/Circket Wireless & T-Mobile will improve even more so sooner or later in that area; Sprint's already about $37 Billion in debt & is strapped on cash to improve further.

gatti-man

I switched to T-Mobile and it's been great. I was scared because of their budget reputation but so far I have zero complaints.

SpecX

Pretty much. We have Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited plan and that along with the coverage is what keeps us with them. My family have both Sprint and T-Mobile and I can't tell yiu the amount of times we have gone out where they dont have a signal or even 3G. Even my AT&T work phone drops in areas my Verizon phone charges through with dropped calls.

redlegs87

I'll stick with Project Fi til they either give up on the experiment or the prices change to something not worth it. All the big carriers can just suck it really.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Still grandfathered with Verizon's unlimited 100gb deal for $60 a month. I feel for those getting shit on by their new unlimited policy.

Yeah, this is why I haven't jumped on smart-phones. Too many old decent plans have been dropped for gouging the hell out of folks in the sake of protecting bandwidth or whatever. :/

I miss my T-mobile $30 unlimited data/text plan. But my phone died and I never really used it for actual phone purposes to where I just went with using my laptop/computer at home for nearly the same functions (and getting a montly SMS plan that is unlimited for like... $20? IIRC?) otherwise.

T-Mobiles network is still spotty in Phoenix but at least its a lot more bearable. The amount of data I use I would rather work around a few kinks than deal with the epic crap my friends on Sprint and Verizon deal with.

Miyahon

T-Mobiles network is still spotty in Phoenix but at least its a lot more bearable. The amount of data I use I would rather work around a few kinks than deal with the epic crap my friends on Sprint and Verizon deal with.

Yeah it seems your area doesn't have the 700 MHz network yet due to a TV station using the spectrum which should help the network in certain areas.

I haven't noticed a difference, except T-Mobile doesn't have dead spots in my apartment. I'm in LA though, I've heard it's different outside of large metro areas.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
At work this morning, my coworker and I (we work in communications for Verizon) were laughing about the absurdity of this. Someone higher up has there head up their ass. This is fucking insulting to customers. The whole marketing we're running now, on how limited data is somehow better than unlimited, is impossible to understand.

"Don't get limited by an unlimited plan."

Wha?

Price is a bit high but generally I'm on board with this. Wish AT&T had it. It's amazing to me that they offer it for DirecTV but not UVerse. Seriously?

Well their service is the best service. GF switched from AT&T and I switched from T-Mobile and it's true that they don't come close to Verizon's service.

Still, price is a bit hefty for an hour.

Verizon is shook that people are switching but this is their response lol.

Glad I switched to tmo, they tried their damn best to get me off the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

norm9

Time base? Ridiculous. I'll stick with my grandfathered verizon unlimited plan.

Verizon probably blames me for clogging up the intertubes with my power internet browsing.

Linkura

I'm on a Verizon plan with my parents and it's just absurd how much the total bill is per month. But their service is the best and I don't need unlimited data, so I deal. This idea though is just plain insulting. They should offer an unlimited plan like everyone else, even if it is going to be more expensive. Eventually the other carriers are going to catch up in service and it is seriously going to bite them in the ass if they are this anti-consumer.

I... don't see anything wrong with this?

It sucks they they don't offer an actual unlimited plan, but this seems like a nice option to have.

The Llama

This is pretty ridiculous lol.

That said, I can't see myself considering a different carrier any time soon. Verizon is just too good in comparison to my own past experiences and friends current experiences.

Rellik

I... don't see anything wrong with this?

It sucks they they don't offer an actual unlimited plan, but this seems like a nice option to have.

You Americans are getting mugged off with bullshit like this while most of us in other nations get unlimited with no throttling as standard. There is a lot wrong with this and I feel for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom