• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GoldenEye 007 said:
Yeah, I'm sure things will get better going forward. More investment and less frequent OS updates... And I didn't mean to come off as overly dramatic. I don't even really read Engadget or Gizmodo!
I know I'm coming in at the tail end of the discussion here, but another factor to consider is that this will get better as device manufacturers get used to the new process involved in iterating for Android devices. Their processes have been fully optimized around reving the hardware because they never had the opportunity to really have much control over the software before. Android changes that.

The compatibility manager for Android explained it pretty well:

Dan Morrill said:
So what does this have to do with versionitis? Simply this: it takes time to rebuild a manufacturing process.

When all you do is rev hardware, you get pretty good at it. You optimize around it. You make being good at it a competitive strength. The OEMs are transitioning to a more PC-like world where they control their own software destiny, but to do this they need to update their procedures and tools.

This takes time, and today we're right in the middle of it.
Device manufacturers want your brand loyalty. They also know they aren't going to get it unless their users have a good experience, and they know that users are expecting that the new $500 tiny computer they just bought comes with a year or two of support. OEMs know this, they are hardly dumb.

The updates are coming. You can see it already, with devices like the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero (for Sprint) getting 2.1, and commitments to upgrade other models. Section 12 in the Compatibility Definition Document even requires that compatible Android devices be upgradeable, which at least sets the stage. Device manufacturers are getting better and better at doing these updates -- and I mean, it's not like they are going to get slower at it.

Source: http://blog.morrildl.net/2010/06/on-on-android-compatibility.html

zedge

SimleuqiR said:
Good news everybody!

Google Maps Navigation for Android now works outside the US or UK as the free turn-by-turn navigation system has been switched on for users in Canada, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, and Belgium (update: and Portugal).
Tried it on the way to work. Works great now. Woot! No more nav launcher hack.

SimleuqiR

Damn! Google is on a roll today!

Good news for those of you who prefer to do your Google searches via voice input -- and in French, German, Italian or Spanish -- you can now do so in your native tongue. You'll need to have at least Android 2.1 on your phone if you want to use the standard microphone button, or you'll need the Search by voice app on 1.6 and up. Also note that it's designed to work with accents from Spain, France, Italy and Germany. So if your accent is from another country -- say, Mexico for Spanish -- then you might have a little trouble. [Google Mobile blog]

google-voice-search.PNG

zedge said:
Tried it on the way to work. Works great now. Woot! No more nav launcher hack.

Where you from? It would be cool if Gaf members from each of these countries would give us a little review of how well or bad it works.

zedge

SimleuqiR said:

google-voice-search.PNG

Where you from? It would be cool if Gaf members from each of these countries would give us a little review of how well or bad it works.
In Canada, works just as well as my Tom Tom as far as I can tell. Way better than it did with the hack.

I don't think Google gets it, :D Instead of updating Android's ui, they've been updating their websites to look like Android.

Youtube has more of an Android look

FA3ic.png

And they're updated Gmail desktop to look like their new official app look

10eqwzp.jpg

4187036_9848_625x625.jpg

Good thing that Palm guy stepped in. Save us.

ZZMitch

Does anyone know of an app or something that I could use to set music to play for a certain time invterval (ex 30 minutes) then stop?

I currently am using my droid as an alarm clock (dockrunner app + homemade dock out of legos :lol ) and have it connected to some portable speakers. I would like to have my droid play music while I fall asleep but I dont want the music to play all night!

Any ideas?

jonnybryce said:
The Magic is being updated, the Hero was updated, pretty much everyone is getting or is updated. The phones that manufacturers make as budget phones and slap Android onto because it's cheap and gives it some nice features aren't going to get upgraded timely, if ever, and it's no ones problem..

is it?

tabsina

SimleuqiR said:
Good news everybody!

Google Maps Navigation for Android now works outside the US or UK as the free turn-by-turn navigation system has been switched on for users in Canada, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, and Belgium (update: and Portugal).

DAMN IT AUSTRALIA

snacknuts

we all knew her
ZZMitch said:
Does anyone know of an app or something that I could use to set music to play for a certain time invterval (ex 30 minutes) then stop?

I currently am using my droid as an alarm clock (dockrunner app + homemade dock out of legos :lol ) and have it connected to some portable speakers. I would like to have my droid play music while I fall asleep but I dont want the music to play all night!

Any ideas?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/net.geekherd.musicsleep

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jonnybryce said:
I don't think Google gets it, :D Instead of updating Android's ui, they've been updating their websites to look like Android.

http://i.imgur.com/FA3ic.png

http://i49.tinypic.com/10eqwzp.jpg

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/4187000/4187036_9848_625x625.jpg

Eh, the only problem I have with Android UI is a lack of consistency, and maybe a little too much love of the white text on black backgrounds. But surely you're not saying the Twitter UI isn't several steps in the right direction? Also exemplified by the Google I/O app.

SimleuqiR

jonnybryce said:

FA3ic.png

10eqwzp.jpg

4187036_9848_625x625.jpg

Well, I wouldn't mind Google having a cohesive UI across most of their services. You don't like the way they look now? I had not logged into Gtalk on the web since I got my Nexus. I do like the new look though.

tabsina

jonnybryce said:

10eqwzp.jpg

maybe htc has toyed with it, but my google talk app on desire looks nothing like that (at least, has nothing in common with the changes made there) - do you guys have voice, video and group chat in your google talk apps?

EDIT: also i like youtubes new UI much more than the old one - the only thing i don't like is that they haven't done it for the videos with ads yet

Jayge said:
I don't see how anyone prefers handcent to chompsms. Can anyone explain that to me?
I decided to download chompsms again after seeing your post. I've been using handcent for about three months now. Chomp has gotten much better in that time and the big widget is awesome.

There were two main reasons I chose handcent over chomp. One of these has been fixed and the other has not:

1. I like the custom vibrate pattern (chomp has this now too, so it's no longer an issue). This helps differentiate between SMS/MMS and other notifications. Also, I don't like the preset patterns. I'm pretty anal about that stuff. I wish you could set custom vibrate patterns for everything (phone calls, other app notifications, etc.)

2. I like that you can set custom settings for each contact in handcent. So my wife gets a pink notification icon, my sister gets a purple one and my brother gets a green one. So I know who my text is from just by looking at the color of the icon in the notification bar and I can choose to look at it now or ignore it for a while. :p

Also, I think chomp was pretty ugly a few months ago or maybe my memory is foggy. Either way, it looks nice now.

I am switching to chomp because of the widget and the custom vibration pattern. If they can implement custom notifications per contact, it will be godly. :D

SimleuqiR

tabsina said:
yeah.. gmail chat on pc, right - but he said that they've made it look more like android, which is the part i don't get

More like the Twitter app on Android, which Google was heavily involved in. They seem to have very similar layouts and dividers.

I hope the Facebook app get a huge revamp stat!

tabsina

SimleuqiR said:
More like the Twitter app on Android, which Google was heavily involved in. They seem to have very similar layouts and dividers.

I hope the Facebook app get a huge revamp stat!

oh right i see

totally agree on facebook - is there anyway to get notifications in a timely fashion? mine very rarely come up at all

Zeppu

tabsina said:
yeah.. gmail chat on pc, right - but he said that they've made it look more like android, which is the part i don't get

All main functions are now buttons as opposed to menu based.

I kinda like it that way. I don't like the YouTube player. It sucks and it's stupid.

You got a huge bar at the bottom which is mostly empty. Volume control should be a one click thing. I'm not a big fan of the hovering and it shows up 'feature'. Sure if you're constrained for screen real estate it makes sense, but the bloody thing has a silver bar always at the bottom.

tabsina said:

Twitter, Google I/O apps (such as the screen cap I posted right after)

:D

SimleuqiR

Google: Apologies for keeping everybody waiting. We are not intentionally holding back on Froyo, just improving the overall experience and quality.

I don't have an exact date to share yet, but we are striving hard to OTA it ASAP. Stay tuned!

Squash those bugs...take your time.

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
no

squash those bugs... hurry up!

:lol

And the apps keep coming and getting really sweet:

TVguide.com app is nice:

TV-Guide-Mobile-TV-Listings.jpg

The text could be a bit bigger (on the listings) though, and some of the icon seem rather blurry on my Nexus.

Jayge

What's the consensus on Touiteur? I've been using it since yesterday, seems to look much better (in app and with widgets) and operate a bit more easily/fluidly than seesmic, twidroid or twicca. Almost makes using Twitter fun.

Also does anyone using foxyring know how to set up a location profile without actually being at that location? The company's help website appears to be offline.

b.e.r.g

Is there a TV out on these Android phones? 'Cause I got to admit, Nokia N900 (maemo/linux os) + emulators + Wii remote + TV out looks pretty damn sweet!

gcubed

b.e.r.g said:
Is there a TV out on these Android phones? 'Cause I got to admit, Nokia N900 (maemo/linux os) + emulators + Wii remote + TV out looks pretty damn sweet!

evo 4g has one, but i'm not sure of its limitations/capabilities... i believe the upcoming dell has one also

b.e.r.g said:
The EVO has HDMI out, and I think the upcoming Droid Xtreme (I puke at the name) will.

b.e.r.g

Aaah, crossing my fingers for a mini-HDMI standard for smartphones! Nice to see it's starting to become more common. To bad all of those phones are rather unavailable here in Norway though :(

pxleyes

Banned
Jayge said:
What's the consensus on Touiteur? I've been using it since yesterday, seems to look much better (in app and with widgets) and operate a bit more easily/fluidly than seesmic, twidroid or twicca. Almost makes using Twitter fun.

Also does anyone using foxyring know how to set up a location profile without actually being at that location? The company's help website appears to be offline.
Always was anything but fluid for me. The scrolling was especially an issue just a month ago. Since Twitter's official app, there really is little to no need for a 3rd party app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
SimleuqiR said:

google-voice-search.PNG

How di you enable search in a different language? Do i have to change my entire operating system language? If so, no dice.

Patriots7

OriginalThinking said:
I'm going to give one more example. I'll give an example of an established Smartphone, one which would do it the way some here would prefer. It's called the iPhone. iPhone users are pretty used to the idea of having one major software update per year. Now yes, there may be minor updates from time to time, but the major updates, the major revisions are yearly. iPhone buyers know where they stand. New iPhone, new OS versions annually.

Now lets take one of he worst culprits of Android updating, the HTC Hero, released first in Europe in July 2009, on Android 1.5. Now, about 1 year later it's finally about to receive an update to 2.1. It's not a gimped version of 2.1 either, with the exception of live wallpapers it's the real deal. So even in pretty much one of the worst case scenarios you got a major OS revision within a year, which matches the iPhone cycle. Now of course, it's not a like for like comparison. iPhone users have only known the details of OS4 for a month or two (but they knew it was coming a year ago). Whereas Android 1.6, 2.0 and 2.1 have come within that same time for HTC Hero owners who have seen handsets running these newer versions of Android. The 3GS will not be getting all the features of OS4, whereas Hero owners are getting all the features of 2.1. So who got the raw deal?

It's simply that the pace of Android development has been so fast, hardware companies have struggled to keep up - But if Android hadn't developed as fast the iPhone would still clearly have the best mobileOS, The Droid wouldn't have happened in America yet, the mindshare wouldn't be there and we'd have Windows7 blowing Android out of the water before it had really even got started. That's where we find ourselves today. Besides all of this Google have pretty much confirmed that development will now slow down to likely Bi-Annual updates from 2011 and with it the fragmentation argument should once and for all disappear.
So the Hero isn't getting all the features of 2.1?
I'm not attempting to argue that Google should adopt Microsoft or Apple's methods of updating their operating systems, but I think that for consumers it would be slightly more reassuring if Google acknowledged that it is a concern to many rather than their current stance of saying it's not fragmentation but legacy and begin to cite Windows 3 (a 20 year old operating system) as an analogous situation.

Patriots7 said:
I'm not attempting to argue that Google should adopt Microsoft or Apple's methods of updating their operating systems, but I think that for consumers it would be slightly more reassuring if Google acknowledged that it is a concern to many rather than their current stance of saying it's not fragmentation but legacy and begin to cite Windows 3 (a 20 year old operating system) as an analogous situation.

The Hero isn't getting one (yes one!) minor feature of Android 2.1 that will not impact upon the use of the phone and this is simply down to the hardware not being sufficiently spec'd. What's your point?

Google have acknowledged the media hoopla around fragmentation, their argument is the legacy one (which has already been discussed) and have said that updates will slow to bi-annual or annual. That's pretty much the end of the story, Google aren't going to change their stance. It's not up to Google anyway it's the hardware vendors responsibility to update and we as consumers to put pressure on them to do so.....kinda feel like we are going round in circles on this one.

SimleuqiR

Patriots7 said:

I don't know...my original iPhone (2G) didn't get MMS support, even though the hardware was capable of it...the iPhone 3G is not getting multitasking I believe. This is a aesthetic feature of the OS, not one that makes it more functional like MMS and multitasking.

Polari

SimleuqiR said:

google-voice-search.PNG

Can I install this side-by-side with English? I want to practice my French pronunciation in Google Translate.

giga

OriginalThinking said:
The Hero isn't getting one (yes one!) minor feature of Android 2.1 that will not impact upon the use of the phone and this is simply down to the hardware not being sufficiently spec'd. What's your point?
Eh? Which features (that aren’t hardware related like the gyro) is the 3GS not getting?

SimleuqiR said:
I don't know...my original iPhone (2G) didn't get MMS support, even though the hardware was capable of it...the iPhone 3G is not getting multitasking I believe. This is a aesthetic feature of the OS, not one that makes it more functional like MMS and multitasking.
Wouldn’t multi-tasking be a hardware related restriction for the 3G? I can’t imagine it’d be a smooth experience on 128MB of RAM with a slow 400 MHz ARM11.

NullPointer said:
Forgive me if this has ben asked a ton of times already, but can I get any recommendations for an Android iPhone replacement? I'm not so up on the latest and greatest smartphone tech.

I've got a standard 3G and there is no way in hell I'm renewing my contract with AT&T. So I'm looking to switch to a different device entirely sometime in September. Any ideas what would make a great replacement around then? Or links to help me shed my phone-noobness?

If my location matters at all I'm in San Francisco. Can't even get an AT&T signal in the middle of Haight Ashbury for fuck's sake.

Hey, here's the Android hardware thread where the conversation could go better, this is more for apps and software.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21729149#post21729149

But as for Android iPhone replacements, there's Verizon with the HTC Incredible, and coming this summer: Motorola Droid 2, and Motorola Shadow/Xtreme (4 inch screen, snapdragon, no keyboard). Sprint has the Evo 4G, and someone, probably T-Mobile, is getting the Samsung Galaxy S.

SimleuqiR

giga said:
Wouldn’t multi-tasking be a hardware related restriction for the 3G? I can’t imagine it’d be a smooth experience on 128MB of RAM with a slow 400 MHz ARM11.

My point was that it is not missing functional features. Multitasking adds functionality to the OS, Live Wallpapers are just eye candy.

Not debating that there isn't a hardware restriction. But the Hero is getting all the 2.1 functionality and will probably get 2.2 without an issue (seeing that Froyo is way more optimized for older hardware).

giga said:
Eh? Which features (that aren’t hardware related like the gyro) is the 3GS not getting?

To my knowledge there is no definitive list yet. Obviously hardware related stuff like the gyroscope and 720p video are unlikely to make it to the 3gs, this is the statement I took from the Apple Developer website. So I'm not 100% certain, as Apple are fairly vague about it. Regardless the point still stands, Hero owners will be no worse off than 3gs owners.

iOS 4 Compatibility
iOS 4 will work with iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Support for the second and third-generation iPod touch will be available this summer, iPad support will be available in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

Actually I apologise the 3gs should get all the features beyond the hardware ones. Was getting confused between my 3g and 3gs methinks. That makes it no different to the Hero mind.

giga

SimleuqiR said:
My point was that it is not missing functional features. Multitasking adds functionality to the OS, Live Wallpapers are just eye candy.

Not debating that there isn't a hardware restriction. But the Hero is getting all the 2.1 functionality and will probably get 2.2 without an issue (seeing that Froyo is way more optimized for older hardware).
Oh, then carry on. :p

OriginalThinking said:
To my knowledge there is no definitive list yet. Obviously hardware related stuff like the gyroscope and 720p video are unlikely to make it to the 3gs, this is the statement I took from the Apple Developer website. So I'm not 100% certain, as Apple are fairly vague about it. Regardless the point still stands, Hero owners will be no worse off than 3gs owners.

Actually I apologise the 3gs should get all the features beyond the hardware ones. Was getting confused between my 3g and 3gs methinks. That makes it no different to the Hero mind.
Yeah that’s for the 3G. The first gen is actually being depreciated and won’t be supported by iOS 4 any longer.

Patriots7

OriginalThinking said:

Google have acknowledged the media hoopla around fragmentation, their argument is the legacy one (which has already been discussed) and have said that updates will slow to bi-annual or annual. That's pretty much the end of the story, Google aren't going to change their stance. It's not up to Google anyway it's the hardware vendors responsibility to update and we as consumers to put pressure on them to do so.....kinda feel like we are going round in circles on this one.
They have acknowledged the fact that the media has voiced consumers' concerns, that is not acknowledging the issue. Claiming 'legacy' or 'bogeyman' is not exactly reassuring. The fact that peoples' investments are tied to hardware suppliers and the carriers is a frustrating aspect of the platform. But for the sake of argument, let's just agree to disagree.

SimleuqiR said:
True but how much of that is Apple wanting to ensure that everyone upgrades to the newest iPhone? Everyone's contract is up at the end of 2 years, and coincidentally, it's the 2nd following major update that rather important features begin to be excluded. Not only that, but the last major update to Android, in Google's own words, was 2.0. 2.01, 2.1, and 2.2 are all "minor" platform releases. In the span of the 2G, it received 10+ minor platform updates.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zozz said:
How come the Google I/O app and the Twitter app looks so similar? Was it co-developed with Google?

Yup. And in fact they'll be releasing the source for Twitter so people can use the UI in their apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom