• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Ruiz admits "fame got to his head"

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Dude is a fucking moron, where he could have legit been the Rocky story of boxing he will now just be regarded as a quick flash in the pan who fucked up big time.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-...e-got-to-me-i-was-looking-past-anthony-joshua

The Mexican, already slammed for the weight gain that hindered his performance, said admitted he was guilty of "looking past" Joshua and that he got caught up in the fame and fortune of briefly being the glamour division's king.

"We did work on some things. But I think for me, being a little heavier – well, a lot heavier – I didn't perform my best. I just should've trained harder, you know?"

Ruiz's father told IFL TV that he felt his son needed more time to prepare because of his wayward ways.
He said it was clear that Ruiz was hit by the fame and was getting the wrong advice from friends and people he was hanging with.
"His friends aren't going to be in the ring with him," Ruiz Sr said.
"There were too many interviews, too many distractions in the camp. Andy wasn't listening to his trainer. He didn't train the proper way."

Since when has boxing been relevant?
Boxing as a whole is a joke
I'm about to end this whole man's career.

BGB%2BAngry%2BGloves%2BGIF%2BTracy.gif

He managed to prove that the first fight was a complete fluke. I don't think he has what it takes to rebuild his career. Should have never been champion.

Mista

Banned
It was obvious before and after the fight. Showing up late for camp, gaining more weight like if he needs any...

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Not many are fully prepared for that kind overnight success. Cut the man a break.

Went from a last minute stand-in to first Mexican Heavyweight Champion in history and you have forum nerds calling the guy a fucking moron. Really now.

Not many are fully prepared for that kind overnight success. Cut the man a break.

Went from a last minute stand-in to first Mexican Heavyweight Champion in history and you have forum nerds calling the guy a fucking moron. Really now.
He's paid a huge amount of money to show up and fight. The very least expectation there is of a professional athlete is to show up in shape. People spent their hard earned money to watch him and back him, and he spent 3 months drinking beer and eating tacos instead of training. He is a fucking moron.

GymWolf

Gold Member
He managed to prove that the first fight was a complete fluke. I don't think he has what it takes to rebuild his career. Should have never been champion.
It was not a fluke lol...
Joshua had to dance around him using jabs for an entire match to win because in the last fight he was massacrated at close distance.

It was the right plan because he knows that a fight in the pocket would be another loss for him...

It was not a fluke lol...
Joshua had to dance around him using jabs for an entire match to win because in the last fight he was massacrated at close distance.

It was the right plan because he knows that a fight in the pocket would be another loss for him...
Joshua was winning the first fight handily, scored a knockdown, then got careless going for the finish. Ruiz caught him behind the ear and Joshua never recovered from it. You're making Ruiz sound like prime Mike Tyson.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Joshua was winning the first fight handily, scored a knockdown, then got careless going for the finish. Ruiz caught him behind the ear and Joshua never recovered from it.

We can discuss all we want, the fact that he was scared to go in the pocket with ruiz in the rematch still remain intact.
You don't create a strategy like that if you think that you are the better boxer at close distance...

DESTROYA

And yet the earnings of the top boxers absolutely dwarf those of the top MMA guys.

Amd that’s totally fine, I used to love boxing back in the Mike Tyson , Evander Holyfield days too but the Heavy weight division has been pretty meh for a long time.
And yet the earnings of the top boxers absolutely dwarf those of the top MMA guys.
Good for them either way I have no skin in the game and could care less who makes more money but you can’t deny MMA has played a part in the decline of boxing , not only in popularity but combat sport talent.

We can discuss all we want, the fact that he was scared to go in the pocket with ruiz in the rematch still remain intact.
You don't create a strategy like that if you think that you are the better boxer at close distance...
If Joshua had lost again, he would never have gotten another title shot given how the main players at HW are tied up. Basically his career was on the line. He fought smart and won easily.

You know this for a fact or are you just talking out of your ass? Andy Ruiz owes you absolutely nothing. Get over yourself.
I see you've done your research. Spectacularly ignorant.

“I think I ate everything -- everything -- that’s why I gained so much weight,” he told TMZ Sports. “I was having too much fun, I was celebrating too much.”

Ruiz said his partying got out of control as well: “Just being with my friends and just celebrating. Drinking a few more Coronas than I should have.”

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/andy-ruiz-jr-poor-training-diet-loss-anthony-joshua

Both his father and his trainer were pleading with him to train, and he ignored them. You need the quotes from them, too? And yes, he does owe his fans, as he readily concedes.

“All my supporters, all my fans, all my loved ones, I’m sorry I let you down. I know we didn’t get this victory but that was a learning experience. I know I should have trained harder, I know I should have taken it more serious but he won, no excuses. Best believe I’m going to come back stronger. Thank you everybody.”

Amd that’s totally fine, I used to love boxing back in the Mike Tyson , Evander Holyfield days too but the Heavy weight division has been pretty meh for a long time.

Good for them either way I have no skin in the game and could care less who makes more money but you can’t deny MMA has played a part in the decline of boxing , not only in popularity but combat sport talent.
Boxing is more popular today than it has been in years. There is a reason guys like McGregor, Stipe, Ngannou, etc, are, or have, called out boxers. Joshua can fight in front of 80,000 fans with an irrelevant undercard. Hell, Carl Froch fought in front of 80,000. What's the UFC record gate? Somewhere around 55,000? You've chosen an odd time to declare boxing irrelevant.

Why would he give Ruiz the only chance he has at winning? AJ was never a brawler.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If Joshua had lost again, he would never have gotten another title shot given how the main players at HW are tied up. Basically his career was on the line. He fought smart and won easily.
Fighting smart is a nice way to say that he was scared to go in the pocket with ruiz again after the last fight.

Your point was that in the first match he was winning and the hit who shocked him was a fluke...
You don't change your fighting style from aggressive to pussy if you really think that you are the better fighter everywhere and your lost was a fluke...

Fighting smart is a nice way to say that he was scared to go in the pocket with ruiz again after the last fight.

Your point was that in the first match he was winning and the hit who shocked him was a fluke...
You don't change your fighting style from aggressive to pussy if you really think that you are the better fighter everywhere and your lost was a fluke...
I didn't say it was a fluke. I said it was a punch behind the ear that he never recovered from. The point of boxing is to win. AJ did that, easily. Everything else just sounds like bitterness.

DESTROYA

Boxing is more popular today than it has been in years. There is a reason guys like McGregor, Stipe, Ngannou, etc, are, or have, called out boxers. Joshua can fight in front of 80,000 fans with an irrelevant undercard. Hell, Carl Froch fought in front of 80,000. What's the UFC record gate? Somewhere around 55,000? You've chosen an odd time to declare boxing irrelevant.
It’s probably just me but even the people I know who followed boxing think the same, maybe we all just stopped paying attention.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I didn't say it was a fluke. I said it was a punch behind the ear that he never recovered from. The point of boxing is to win. AJ did that, easily. Everything else just sounds like bitterness.
I don't care for both of them, i'm jist analising what happen and we can choose to say that it was the smart way to fight yeah, for me was a mix of smarteness and fear, he doesn't want anything of that fast hands ruiz smoke...

(Sorry for my english guys)

Right now, its 1-1 still. We need another rematch.
Ruiz blew that by coming in the way he did. There's no way he gets an immediate rematch and I don't believe he deserves one, either. Besides, Joshua now has two mandatory challengers he has to satisfy. Pulev and Usyk. I believe Pulev is up first.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
How can people talk about dead sport?

Aren't fury and wilder and joshua making milions at every fight?

Only conor, diaz, masvidal and maybe another 1-2 fighter in ufc make milions in their fights...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ruiz blew that by coming in the way he did. There's no way he gets an immediate rematch and I don't believe he deserves one, either. Besides, Joshua now has two mandatory challengers he has to satisfy. Pulev and Usyk. I believe Pulev is up first.
But joshua deserved a rematch after a couple of month even when he lost a supposedly easy fight because he understimate the opponent?

To me they look like similar bad behaviour from top tier boxers...

It’s probably just me but even the people I know who followed boxing think the same, maybe we all just stopped paying attention.
I was a huge boxing fan for over 30 years but even I have transitioned over to MMA partly. I still follow and watch boxing but if pressed I'd say I marginally prefer MMA now. And there is one big reason for that. In MMA (the UFC primarily) the best fight the best consistently. The politics in boxing ground me down.

But joshua deserved a rematch after a couple of month even when he lost a supposedly easy fight because he understimate the opponent?

To me they look like similar bad behaviour from top tier boxers...
Joshua had a rematch clause inserted into the contract. On the basis of how the first fight went, no, I don't think he did deserve an immediate rematch. But like most championship fights in boxing, the champion had a rematch clause.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I was a huge boxing fan for over 30 years but even I have transitioned over to MMA partly. I still follow and watch boxing but if pressed I'd say I marginally prefer MMA now. And there is one big reason for that. In MMA (the UFC primarily) the best fight the best consistently. The politics in boxing ground me down.
What do you mean when you say politics??

Because ufc politics are utter shit too tbh...

What do you mean when you say politics??

Because ufc politics are utter shit too tbh...
The numerous alphabet organisations, the litany of worthless belts, the WBC inventing their franchise champion horseshit so guys can duck their mandatory challengers, certain fighters can fail drug tests and get away with it, certain fighters will get the benefit of the doubt on the scorecards every single time....it's basically rotten to the core.

The UFC has its issues but they're nothing compared to boxing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The numerous alphabet organisations, the litany of worthless belts, the WBC inventing their franchise champion horseshit so guys can duck their mandatory challengers, certain fighters can fail drug tests and get away with it, certain fighters will get the benefit of the doubt on the scorecards every single time....it's basically rotten to the core.

The UFC has its issues but they're nothing compared to boxing.
Ufc started most of their shit with mcgregor and jones, but yeah at least they don't have 54 heavyweight champions like in boxe...

Ufc started most of their shit with mcgregor and jones, but yeah at least they don't have 54 heavyweight champions like in boxe...
And when the UFC does anoint an interim champion, they make him / her fight the actual champion as soon as possible. We, the fans, have been asking for heavyweight unification for years. Still hasn't happened. And it won't happen next year, either, by the look of it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
And when the UFC does anoint an interim champion, they make him / her fight the actual champion as soon as possible. We, the fans, have been asking for heavyweight unification for years. Still hasn't happened. And it won't happen next year, either, by the look of it.
How many hw champs we have now?
Joshua
Wilder
Fury
Someone else?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

I used to be a boxer and all you have to do is stay humble. Dude was on the world and forgot what it was like to be hungry again because he visited every fucking buffet in the world celebrating. When your the champ it should be top priority you train train and train. He made himself look like a fool. In the words of DJ Khali, congratulations Ruiz, you played yourself.

Mista

Banned

Nobody gives a shit about all that. He’s a “professional” at the end of the day so at least act like one. The “forum nerds” are actually more professional than this fuck

Last edited:
How many hw champs we have now?
Joshua
Wilder
Fury
Someone else?
Joshua has the WBO, WBA and IBF straps. Wilder has the WBC. Fury has the lineal claim, being the man who beat the former undisputed champion (Wlad) and he never lost his titles in the ring. He DID fail a drug test, which seems to be glossed over, somewhat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Joshua has the WBO, WBA and IBF straps. Wilder has the WBC. Fury has the lineal claim, being the man who beat the former undisputed champion (Wlad) and he never lost his titles in the ring. He DID fail a drug test, which seems to be glossed over, somewhat.
When jones doesn't pass a test, uncle dana just move the event in another city :ROFLMAO:

manfestival

This video speaks for itself on this subject. Dude is trying to just enjoy life now that he made it but then realized it was a big oops when Joshua hated the taste of loss. Time will tell at this point.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I used to be a boxer and all you have to do is stay humble. Dude was on the world and forgot what it was like to be hungry again because he visited every fucking buffet in the world celebrating. When your the champ it should be top priority you train train and train. He made himself look like a fool. In the words of DJ Khali, congratulations Ruiz, you played yourself.

Nobody gives a shit about all that. He’s a “professional” at the end of the day so at least act like one. The “forum nerds” are actually more professional than this fuck

Instant success can mess with anyones head. You see it happen to people from all walks of life.. professional or not. Ruiz obviously didn’t handle it very well, but he should at least be given the opportunity to learn from it. Dismissing everything he’s accomplished and calling the guy a moron just seems salty as fuck.

Top Bottom