• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andy Ruiz admits "fame got to his head"

GymWolf

Gold Member
what's the deal with boxers and mma fighters? they always manage to insert a "you know" every 2-3 words...

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Instant success can mess with anyones head. You see it happen to people from all walks of life.. professional or not. Ruiz obviously didn’t handle it very well, but he should at least be given the opportunity to learn from it. Dismissing everything he’s accomplished and calling the guy a moron just seems salty as fuck.
Sure he deserves a chance but at the same time he’s a moron and he knows it. Come on mate, anyone that does what he did will get called that.

Sure he deserves a chance but at the same time he’s a moron and he knows it. Come on mate, anyone that does what he did will get called that.
The guy's trainers, and his own father were telling him he was being stupid. He ignored them and continued anyway, throwing parties, buying cars, a mansion, estate, jewelry, etc. And putting it all on instagram and youtube for public consumption. It's not like the examples of Buster Douglas, Leon Spinks, etc, weren't already out there as cautionary tales.

Andy just wasn't too bright and pointing that out has got nothing to do with 'being salty'. It's accurate and he realises it.

Last edited:

MastAndo

There are no excuses for not training properly and coming in extra fat for the biggest fight of your life. I'm guessing he felt like he was playing with the house's money going from a nobody to a star overnight, and just didn't care much about the outcome of the rematch. Joshua deserves a bunch of credit for putting in the work though, and executing a near perfect gameplan to get his belts back.

Mista

Banned
The guy's trainers, and his own father were telling him he was being stupid. He ignored them and continued anyway, throwing parties, buying cars, a mansion, estate, jewelry, etc. And putting it all on instagram and youtube for public consumption. It's not like the examples of Buster Douglas, Leon Spinks, etc, weren't already out there as cautionary tales.

Andy just wasn't too bright and pointing that out has got nothing to do with 'being salty'. It's accurate and he realises it.
What do we know? We’re just “forum nerds”

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness

So let’s run the trilogy fight. AJ did what he needed to do, now let’s see if Ruiz has what it takes to put on a great third bout.

We’re just “forum nerds”
This much is indisputable.

LETS GO CHAMP🥊🥊

Mista

Banned
So let’s run the trilogy fight. AJ did what he needed to do, now let’s see if Ruiz has what it takes to put on a great third bout.

This much is indisputable.

LETS GO CHAMP🥊🥊
I’m definitely not looking forward to it but sure why not? He’ll just prove to me again that he’s not worth being there in the first place.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

People seem to be glossing over the fact that he won the first time. It wasn't a fluke. He came to play that day and he did what he needed to do. He fucked up in the rematch, no doubt about but to say he's an idiot it not good enough to be there. Get the fuck outta here. He got the first match because he had proven himself a pro boxer. He's good enough for the shot.

Mista

Banned
People seem to be glossing over the fact that he won the first time. It wasn't a fluke. He came to play that day and he did what he needed to do. He fucked up in the rematch, no doubt about but to say he's an idiot it not good enough to be there. Get the fuck outta here. He got the first match because he had proven himself a pro boxer. He's good enough for the shot.
Let’s see him prove it again then in the third match

Actually, he got the first shot because Jarrell Miller tested positive for every steroid under the sun, and Ortiz rejected a career high pay day in order to fight Wilder again. He was a very late replacement. That's not to say he's a bad fighter, far from it. But he was an afterthought in this case. Which you could argue led to AJ taking him lightly.

He won't get a third shot straight away because he didn't take this one even remotely seriously (and there are two mandatory fights that need to happen or Joshua will be stripped). He can definitely win a few fights and get back into a good position. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Actually, he got the first shot because Jarrell Miller tested positive for every steroid under the sun, and Ortiz rejected a career high pay day in order to fight Wilder again. He was a very late replacement. That's not to say he's a bad fighter, far from it. But he was an afterthought in this case. Which you could argue led to AJ taking him lightly.

He won't get a third shot straight away because he didn't take this one even remotely seriously (and there are two mandatory fights that need to happen or Joshua will be stripped). He can definitely win a few fights and get back into a good position. I wouldn't bet on it, though.
Yes, but it's not like they just got some bum off the street. He had to have the points to be considered for the match.

Yes, but it's not like they just got some bum off the street. He had to have the points to be considered for the match.
I agree, but I don't think anyone has argued that he was some bum off the street. Just that he was a dickhead for approaching the rematch the way that he did.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I agree, but I don't think anyone has argued that he was some bum off the street. Just that he was dickhead for approaching the rematch the way that he did.
True, but fame can get to people. I don't blame him for wanting to soak up the limelight. He was dumb, true, for not getting back into gear quickly, but I hate when people put down others thinking they'd do better when
1) you don't know that for a fact because
2) you'll never be in his position to know, anyways.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Ruiz shouldnt get another shot until he fights a few more opponents and earns it. Dude let a few months of success go to his head, thats shitty character. He needs to win a few and act serious before he can be taken seriously. The last fight was a cake walk to AJ.

Top Bottom