• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Lothar

Banned
What the HELL man :eek:

I'm as anti-censorship as you can get, but WTF :s Ugh.

He's never done anything like this with Cinemassacre though, I dont know why/how these pictures surfaced.

They surfaced because there's this one person that is really pissed at Mike for banning him. Seriously. He created the CinemassacreTruth subreddit in retaliation. That's where this is coming from.

a2BLigR.png

He made this long angry essay post a few days ago https://www.reddit.com/r/AVGN/comments/6e6h39/in_response_to_the_shedding_some_light_post_by/ None of this was about the comics, that hadn't been found yet. So this mess is not really about the comics. It's about a guy trying to get Mike by any means.

Someone here can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the only recent thing Mike did to trigger this was banning this person. The dick pics were from over a year ago.

maharg

idspispopd
The former

Mike made a mistake over a decade ago, assuming he still thinks this way or that james shares/shared a similar mindset is making a MASSIVE assumption. My quote is really all Mike has to say to apologize for it, maybe volunteer to donate to some organization that helps to deal with racial issues. The fact that none of that kind of humor has appeared in official cinemassacre content in the 9-10 years they've been a website should tell you all we need to know.

Lets just say for the sake of the argument Mike does actually still think this way but outside of that old comic he's not said or created anything public in 12-13 years along those lines. What exactly should he be held responsible for? If he's not acting upon his misguided racial views and apologizes for making the comic when he was younger should he be fired for ideology nobody can actually prove he still believes in? If you're trying to write a narrative that Mike is actually some massive sexist/racist person you can take tons of arbitary actions he's done over the years and stick those square pegs into a pattern of round holes to reach whatever conclusion you want.

Comparing Mike to Jontron at this point is jumping the gun. If Mike appears on some mra or gg podcast, or makes a white supremacists video on cinemassacre and James supports or takes part in it then we can reevaluate. As it stands all mike is guilty of was making terrible racist jokes a decade + ago and in the past few years being an unlikeable asshole with shitty behavior. If the latter is enough to get Mike kicked off of cinemassacre then 90% of the internet should be banned.

I dunno, *shrug*? Mike's gonna do what he's gonna do. Those comics go a little beyond youthful indiscretion to me and I don't really get this thing where public figures get a super exceptional benefit of the doubt. I don't *need* Mike's videos, or for him to have learned his lesson, or whatever. And Mike will probably say that whether he believes it or not, because a lot might be on the line if he doesn't.

Either way, not gonna lie, I'm probably not clicking on his videos so much anymore, apology or not.

Chao

So in the end this is about some douche trying to get Mike with whatever he can find.

The comics are pretty terrible, but for me it's more that the comics are bad, with no real message behind them beyond the 'shock value'

South park makes plenty of pretty brutal racist jokes, but they're usually smart and have a message, whereas this is just 'lolol mexicans black people aids' .

I'm sure Mike thought he had the next south park in his hands, but really doesn't get why that show is so successful.

I'll give him the benefit of doubt and think it was just him writing a stupid comic that makes him shiver in shame whenever he looks at it now.

Don't know what kind of people they are in the private lives, but would be a shame for James to be affected by this stuff after all this time.

I've thought about unsubscribing from James after having Omega-what's-his-name on the channel, and the whole Ghostbusters situation, but now I'm actually unsubbing. This vile shit is inexcusable.

Chao

I've thought about unsubscribing from James after having Omega-what's-his-name on the channel, and the whole Ghostbusters situation, but now I'm actually unsubbing. This vile shit is inexcusable.

So I take you don't like James or James' work anymore or...?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As long as James doesnt show signs of beeing a vile piece if shit I continue to watch the videos, but Mike needs to go ASAP when this is true.

Lothar

Banned
So in the end this is about some douche trying to get Mike with whatever he can find.

The comics are pretty terrible, but for me it's more that the comics are bad, with no real message behind them beyond the 'shock value'

South park makes plenty of pretty brutal racist jokes, but they're usually smart and have a message, whereas this is just 'lolol mexicans black people aids' .

I would say it's probably like when the South Park boys wrote the Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs. They set out to try to become famous by making the offensive book imaginable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Scrotie_McBoogerballs

The students at South Park Elementary are assigned to read The Catcher in the Rye, and (especially the four main boys) grow excited when Mr. Garrison tells them that the book has caused so much controversy, it has been banned from public schools in the past. However, after reading the book, Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny are disappointed to find the content completely inoffensive, and feel the school has "tricked" them into reading. They decide to write their own offensive novel, The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs (which they originally called The Tale of Scrotie McDickinass), with the intention of disgusting as many people as possible.

Since the comics are so over the top with tub girl and everything, that's what this reminded me of.

entremet

Why would you unsubscribe because of the Ghostbusters video? Talk about overreaction.

I hindsight the GB video, which I never had a problem with, was such an overreaction. Movie was mediocre as he predicted.

He made since he's a self avowed fan of the franchise and his fans would be curious why it was not reviewed. He explained why. What a silly shitstorm.

Kudo

I don't think James has seen it though. I don't recall him saying he saw it.

Same, I've watched each and every vid and can't remember James even mentioning it after the videos.
Unless it's on some interview he has done or something that's not on their channel.

shanafan

That Ghostbusters 2016 movie wasn't all that good TBH.

I actually really enjoyed it ;) There were quite a few really hilarious scenes that I got a kick out of. Chris Hemsworth's character did seem a little overboard, but overall, I liked it (enough to own it on 4K)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Cinemassacre (no James) visits TNT Amusements (arcade shop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KnKDsxtlVY
This is literally a crossover I never imagined would ever happen. I mean I don't imagine the two even being on each other's radar. I grew up watching those infomercials on late night TV and love the guy who owns the company. (The fake rubber hand gag was so stupid and repetitive and that's why I loved the shit out of it every time.) I didn't think most people know who they are. They're a regional small business. But here we are. When I was a collector, I always fantasized about saving up a few thousand bucks and visiting one day to buy an arcade cabinet of my choice. Never happened though.

Funny thing is they also put up their own video of the visit and it's only 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=939w1gwsQTY

Shame James didn't go. I'd think he'd really be into it. Then again he's mainly console gaming. Still.

Anyway, some of their stuff is pretty entertaining. Sometimes informative about the inner workings of the arcade machines they refurbish.

Lothar

Banned
They both unfollowed each other on twitter according to the comments. This is so strange. They were friends since they were children. There's pictures of them in the same class in grade school.

Drencrom

Mike cleaning house of Bootsy videos. Deleted the live streams off the official YouTube channel that featured him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemas.../mike_deleted_all_his_livestream_videos_that/

I like that he does this while he's under scrutiny of cinemassacre fans after his shitty racist comics were found, him posting his dick on reddit, he was found out doing damage control with an alt-account on the cinemasscare subreddit etc

Mike really is a slimy piece of shit, and it hurts to say this after being a fan of Cinemasscare and his contributions for 10 years.

Lothar

Banned
Dr Mario LEVEL 20 - James & Mike Mondays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRSlfuZv1mA

James is fit!

They were right that it's frustrating for someone good at Dr Mario to watch. I kept wanting to scream "No, don't put that piece there!"

he was found out doing damage control with an alt-account on the cinemasscare subreddit etc

Nah, he had a stalker who admitted he made fake names to keep this shit going. Said stalker also admitted he made that linked Subreddit just because he was pissed that Mike banned him.

Even the people on that sub who dislike Mike enough to post on a sub dedicating to disliking Mike have admitted they've gone too far.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemas...s/this_is_really_starting_to_get_out_of_hand/

shanafan

YT drama never ends lol. This medium has some growing up to do.

Well, when they are getting paid to work from home, and practically just be on the internet a lot, their "real life" social interactions go way down and are basically working inside a bubble - which can make anyone go stir crazy.

never liked Mike, but will continue to watch James videos at least until hes outed as some kind of crazy racist/sexist like so many internet personalities seem to be

bjork

The videos mentioned in that reddit, all work for me. Am I missing something?

[edit - I am, they're someone else's account. Never mind!]

I wonder how much Bootsy going was because he wanted a bigger piece of the pie and they refused. It's the only real reason I could maybe see for deletion of those videos outside of just being petty and childish. Seems that there isn't a youtuber out there who won't shit the bed.

grim-tales

Mike cleaning house of Bootsy videos. Deleted the live streams off the official YouTube channel that featured him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemas.../mike_deleted_all_his_livestream_videos_that/

He basically said "I got tired of playing games with Bootsy", that's a shame but fair enough - but deleting all his videos seems rather petty and stupid imo. Many people liked Bootsy.

That sounds like something more serious than "We moved in a different direction", if a friendship moves on, you don't pretend it never existed. That's just weird. They were friends since they were kids FGS.

shanafan

I wonder how much Bootsy going was because he wanted a bigger piece of the pie and they refused. It's the only real reason I could maybe see for deletion of those videos outside of just being petty and childish. Seems that there isn't a youtuber out there who won't shit the bed.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mike dropped Bootsy because he was the better player, and Mike wanted the skills spotlight.

entremet

It feels like every youtube thing has drama of some sort.

It's not a YT thing per se. It's humanity lol. Crap like this happens in business all the time. The issue with YT is that everything is so public, so we see everyone's dirty laundry.

But yes, humans can be petty, vindictive, unforgiving, etc. I just wish these dudes were better at not airing their dirty laundry--removing videos and unfollowing each other comes of as petty. Move on if there was a disagreement, but keep the content up.

It's not a YT thing per se. It's humanity lol. Crap like this happens in business all the time. The issue with YT is that everything is so public, so we see everyone's dirty laundry.

But yes, humans can be petty, vindictive, unforgiving, etc. I just wish these dudes were better at not airing their dirty laundry--removing videos and unfollowing each other comes of as petty. Move on if there was a disagreement, but keep the content up.

When it comes to people making money though removing videos is probably a necessity. Take the bootsy videos if Booty was signed to get like 60-80% of the ad revenue from his videos it's likely a lot easier to just delete all his videos then send him some small check every month.

Renekton

What are you talking about? A handful people disliking a guy who wrote racist as fuck comics and posted his dick on Reddit?

Sounds rather like a hate golf car to me
That's a mighty big golf cart then.

Details about the Bootsy deal are unknown and people are assuming the worst.

Top Bottom