• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Kudo

That was good, but the warping textures was part of many PS1 games! I guess James really didn't play that much PS1 back in the days.

moggio

Banned
Dick pics you say?!

Okay, I did some research.

Firstly the schlong isn't bad, but it isn't 10 inches. That's fine though because 10 inches is just too big for anything other than an admiring glance for most sensible people anyway.

Secondly, I am not convinced this is Matt's penis. It took me about 5 minutes to find numerous other pictures (easily spotted because of the conspicuous green measuring tape case) all posted around 2-3 years ago. Now, this does coincide with the scandalous Tweet, but is it more likely Matt took a picture of his cock and posted it to Twitter or that he just got a random picture of an apparently 10" cock and posted it claiming it as his own?

I'd go with the latter personally, but I will do further research.

Also Matt has always been a petulant bellend.

Guys, he is pointing out flaws in the game. Pretty sure has seen this before. This AVGN, not Mike & James Monday

I get that he is in character. But all the same, it really does seem like James hasn't played that many PlayStation 1 games in his life and it is funny that he points out the warping textures as a flaw that is exclusive to this game, even though it was common in just about every 3D game on that system. Jame's doesn't really have much technical knowledge on how games work (which is fine). I noticed that whenever he plays a game with pre-rendered backgrounds, he can never quite figure out how it is done.

But Jame's background really is in film making. I thought he did a pretty good job with the cheesy effects in this episode, and the ending was funny. I thought this was one of his better episodes. He kept a really tight pacing while going a bit effect heavy.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I guess he needs to play more PS1 games as a ton of them have warping due to lack of z buffer.

While I think he's said he had an N64 first (one of the Castlevania episodes), he's probably well aware it's a system-wide limitation. Was just a joke.

I mean he reviewed Independence Day for PS1 10 years ago.

moggio

Banned
Reading about all this drama I'm assuming Mike is ghosting Bootsy because his fragile ego can't handle that Bootsy is pretty much universally loved while everyone thinks he's an insufferable bellend.

shanafan

Reading about all this drama I'm assuming Mike is ghosting Bootsy because his fragile ego can't handle that Bootsy is pretty much universally loved while everyone thinks he's an insufferable bellend.

I don't mind Mike overall - he's tolerable. Ryan is bringing the channel down imo. He makes a lot of snarky comments that are becoming tiresome.

If mike feels like the tech guy who is trying to make himself a co star, then ryan is the friend who is trying to force his way in for easy cred despite having no talent.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If mike feels like the tech guy who is trying to make himself a co star, then ryan is the friend who is trying to force his way in for easy cred despite having no talent.

Ryan definitely feels like he's trying to force himself in as "part of the gang".

Also, rewatching older AVGN stuff is so fucking nostalgic. Whatever happened to the guy who did the theme song? Is he still around?

KalBalboa

Banned
You were in his hobby room?
Is it as amazing as it looks like?

This was actually at Classic Game Junkie in Glenside, PA. Awesome store. James had to come by to pick up his repaired Turbo Grafx 16, on top of the interview.

Did you met Pat and fondle his gold NWC cart? lol

Heh, not yet. Pat is working as a consultant on the film with respect to the retro gaming scene. The movie covers a few themes and he's doing a good job ensuring that the retro talk isn't cheesy or flippant.

Had the pleasure on interviewing James for my documentary Not For Resale.

Going to try and have a clip up in the next week.

Nice! Looking forward to it.

Been going through the old episodes from the very beginning the past week or so. I do this every year or so. So much good stuff, although his newer content feels a little weird. I cant quite place why. Still very enjoyable and always get excited for a new AVGN vid.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Been going through the old episodes from the very beginning the past week or so. I do this every year or so. So much good stuff, although his newer content feels a little weird. I cant quite place why. Still very enjoyable and always get excited for a new AVGN vid.

I actually prefer the newer stuff since it is more informative and less batshit angry.

dickroach

it doesn't feel like the Angry Video Game Nerd. it feels like James is trying to do the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Pancake Mix

it doesn't feel like the Angry Video Game Nerd. it feels like James is trying to do the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I started to get that feeling starting with Atari Sports. Not a bad feeling at all either. It works.

I can agree with this. Perhaps we've become a bit too over-exposed (or just exposed in general) to James Rolfe that now it just feels like he's playing a character. Before, it used to be the opposite. Before, we used to just see the Angry Video Game Nerd but rare glimpses of just James. Social media changes this.

Also, I feel he's trying to make his videos to be more like full productions, whereas before, he just sat on a couch yelling at video game footage with a skit or two in the video. His style started changing after the Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle video. I remember when the video was originally uploaded to ScrewAttack/GameTrailers. It was his most disliked video (it still had like a 91% thumbs up, but that was definitely lower than his usual) at the time and the comments were full of people complaining the video was just a skit with minimal footage.

I feel like he tries to do both. The Sub-Zero episode and the Seaman episode were definitely done in the vintage style. All talking, minimal skits. The Planet of the Apes episode was very much a production.

Neither of these are bad. It just comes down to what your taste is.

WillyFive

His videos look too professional now and too well produced, and his content has not changed or grown with the times. Him starting to lose his hair too is also breaking the immersion. AVGN is just not something that was meant to last this long.

Pancake Mix

. Him starting to lose his hair too is also breaking the immersion.

...He's an aging man.

The vast majority of men lose significant amounts of their hair to varying extents at some point. Nothing he can do about this and not sure how it breaks the immersion, not like these videos are supposed to all take place in the mid-2000's.

fuzaco

The only problem with his hairloss is the stupid combover he does. Sometimes I just keep looking at his hair instead of the video.

I felt that the only bad ones recently where the Christmas episode, Sonic 06, and Planet of the Apes.

Power Rangers, Bernstein Bears, and Paperboy were really good. I like when he has good balance between gameplay and skits. The Bugs Bunny was too much skit for example.

Timu

I felt that the only bad ones recently where the Christmas episode, Sonic 06, and Planet of the Apes.

Power Rangers, Bernstein Bears, and Paperboy were really good. I like when he has good balance between gameplay and skits. The Bugs Bunny was too much skit for example.
How was Planet of the Apes bad? Also, the only bad one is the Christmas episode(at least recently).

I generally prefer episodes of avgn where he gets to the end of the game. Even if its one of those impossible hard games like terminator on nes I'd rather see him use game geine to try and see the rest of the game other then rage quit on stage 1.

Top Bottom