• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryJoe builds a new gaming PC - Ugly tower cometh.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Plus you can get some great deals on pre-built PCs now. In the old days you could save a ton of money building it yourself. But now I just buy a pre-built PC with WIndows 8.1 and swap out the DVD drives for BD drives, maybe add some memory, and then swap out the platter drives for a couple of SSDs. The end result is a PC that costs me less than building from scratch, and more importantly, I've saved a bunch of my time.

The main issue with prebuilt PC's that I noticed was that they tend to have lousy PSU's with weirdo custom connections etc. That's mainly what led me to start hunting NewEgg for a bundle of parts.

biteren

Now that i studied it a bit more, Angryjoe's PC case is not that ugly to be honest, i dont see the issue apart from being like "Bleh Alienware".

Was wondering why this topic was getting a lot of posts, didn't think it'd get more than 40 posts, tbqh. First page is a grave yard O_O

Angry Joe is a cool guy

I mean it's just necessary at some point. Some months ago I got seriously annoyed how every single thread about a TotalBiscuit video had a lot of early comments basically just shitting on him, disregarding the content entirely.

No proper discussion ever managed to follow from these initial derails.

I dont know why but the case doesn't look ugly just...interesting to say the least, It may be a pod of a real Alien baby :D

The hardware itself is a beast and I wonder that is the retail price for all that and what is the weight...

Caayn

It still amazes me what people can achieve by operating a youtube channel.

You know? I kinda like that case, and that's not just because of the parts inside of it.
HOLY COW. The bannings, what happened on the first couple of pages?!
People need to show how much they don't care by posting that they don't care. Why or the logic behind that? No one knows.

Enosh

If I had a choice I'd make my PC a fully functioning fish tank
hqdefault.jpg

it's mineral oil so no fish ^^

It still amazes me what people can achieve by operating a youtube channel.

You know? I kinda like that case, and that's not just because of the parts inside of it.
People need to show how much they don't care by posting that they don't care. Why or the logic behind that? No one knows.

Mhh, but this happens in a ton of threads. Specially Girl-Age, but I agree its unsupportive, and I guess you can't dish out warnings or block people from specific threads, you can only issue a ban... The system I guess.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I mean it's just necessary at some point. Some months ago I got seriously annoyed how every single thread about a TotalBiscuit video had a lot of early comments basically just shitting on him, disregarding the content entirely.

No proper discussion ever managed to follow from these initial derails.

It's just as well a mod never looked at that DSP thread then.

That aside, it is amazing the anger and frustration a prebuilt PC tends to generate here. Instant drive bys regardless of the context, odd cost inflation... Really what difference does it make as long as someone's getting a gaming PC and supporting your hobby regardless?

PreFire

hqdefault.jpg

it's mineral oil so no fish ^^
Wow. I like this tbh

Are they the first people to try that?

I admit, I don't much about mineral oil, but are those parts (mobo with exposed chips, cpu, etc) actually submerged inside the oil? If so, how'd they know it wouldn't damage the hardware? Or is it sealed (can't tell from the pic) ?

If they're not submerged, ignore this lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow. I like this tbh

I admit, I don't much about mineral oil, but are those parts (mobo with exposed chips, cpu, etc) actually submerged inside the oil? If so, how'd they know it wouldn't damage the hardware? Or is it sealed (can't tell from the pic) ?

Mineral oil isn't conductive so it won't short out your parts. You have to be worried about rubber components, as that can be dissolved by oil.

Sevyne

I really don't understand the incredible amount of hate Angry Joe gets. Now I'll admit that I stopped watching his stuff a while back, but he always seemed to be looking at the right things to criticize in a game. Sure, he wasn't always on poimt, but he tries to give everything a fair shake.

Anyway, I'll get more on the topic. That PC is pretty damn good for a prebuilt, bit that tower is probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Nothing is "beautiful" about that monstrosity.

-Cwalat-

I think it was around $3000

Jeebus. That's some mighty expensive piece of hardware right there. I guess in his defense, it's his job that he is investing in.

How long do you guys think this rig would hold for before becoming obsolete?

Enosh

Wow. I like this tbh

just the first small picture I found on google search that had some stuff in it to make it more fish tank like ^^

and the thing is completely submerged in mineral oil
from what I understand mineral oil doesn't conduct electricity so it has no effect on any of the hardware (although you have to remove any rubber apparently)

here is part 3 of linus doing a mineral oil build, it's the part where they actually pour in the oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJreUX3TCk

part 4 is a q&a thing where they explain it in a bit more detail

xemumanic

NOTE!

Joe does reviews. For a guy with angry in the title, he's not so angry.

He gets angry sometimes at certain practices and things he considers suspect in the industry, but by and large he's a fair reviewer who does critique the games he reviews with a large section of pros and cons and only yells sometimes. He's not just some guy who screams every second.

His reviews are usually pretty long, 20 to 30 minutes with a lot of indepth topics. Sometimes he does some skits or something acting out certain parts of the game for laughs.

He's a cool guy, give his channel a chance if you can

That's Joe in a nutshell. Well said.

They do. Planning to pick this one up when I get a new table.

350x700px-LL-0f9cc803_QOBVPAZ.jpeg

My buddy just got that case (I'm coming down to NYC next week to help him build his new PC) and he pulled out the grating and had it painted red.

fJNB2FE.jpg

He sent me a shot of it next to his receiver and speakers and such, and it fits right in!

1xsf9pw.jpg

xBladeM6x

He misspoke when saying 8GB 980's I believe. It's likely he thinks that by combining them he gets 8GB, when that's not how VRAM works.

Shit that is nice. Tempted to change over from my NZXT Phantom to that and finally go the CPU water cooling. What is space like?

Sorry for late reply. It's a full sized tower (so quite big). I'm 5'11 and standing on the floor it comes up to just below my hips (groin area).

Comes with 4 inbuilt fans (2 on front and 2 in the back), has a tool-less design (for most of it) and has heaps of room for anything you wanna stick in there e.g. 10 hdds, full sized motherboards, liquid cooling etc. Anything you can think of it will fit lol.

I bought it for the looks though haha.

Top Bottom