• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryJoe receives a Nintendo copyright claim. Hope they enjoyed the ad revenue; Done

Would he also be supposed to share ad revenues with MS since he's using a PC with Windows? Whatever manufacturers of the PC parts he's using? The devs of the video editing software he's using?

The "these people make money by using others' copyrighted stuff" is ridiculous.
Why is Nintendo pretty much the only one doing this, at least to this level? Do IGN, Gametrailers etc also have to share their revenues with Nintendo? What kind of harm do Let's Players do to Nintendo? Etc.

They only do this because they're control freaks, and because they want a share of that money. The argument can also be easily turned around. Why defend Nintendo when what they're doing is to take money from other people's creations and content?
That opening paragraph way too far-fetched and a whole heap of nonsense.

Marcel

It's on pretty shaky ground legally actually. I guess not in terms of how they do it on YouTube, but let's plays in general haven't really carved out the line between fair use and copyright breach.

The other half of this of course is that Nintendo deprives themselves of the interest and viewership that might otherwise convince people to buy the game. In that sense they are valuing the pennies they make per thousand views over potential sales. Basically everyone else in the industry has figured out that the sales are worth more than the tiny ad revenue.

You tell those ancient zombies that make up Nintendo shareholders and the board of directors they are losing pennies on the dollar and they will freak the fuck out.

This is from a relevant GDC talk.

Video here:
http://gdcvault.com/play/1022063/How-YouTubers-and-Twitch-Streamers

IKHKwXs.png

s6T4X4B.png

MvlcJhc.png

JxUqyTk.png

This is a great post~

NolbertoS

Well this just proves Nintendo is bigger than Angry. I don't think Nintendo would care if Angry was like IGN, GS reviewing games and sharing some of that revenue, like the big gaming do, but Angry doesn't he just plays a game, and people pay him "HIS" ad revenue to play a game. He should be honoured to play a Nintendo game and promise he'll donate half his revenue to vharity or something, then Nintendo wouldn't have been on his ass saying he can't just make money playing

key

I don't fucking understand how hard this is to grasp for you guys.

When your favorite youtube personality is having a goddamn blast with game X, and it looks like a game you'd like as well, you possibly consider the purchase of game X.
The people subscribe to the channels because of the personalities, they could get gameplay footage literally everywhere. They enjoy watching Joe rant about it. Joe might also showcase games that they have never seen or heard about before. How is that not great free advertising?

They enjoy watching Joe rant about VIDEO GAMES. That's the point. Without the games, Joe has to find something else to feature. If you truly believe that Joe would have just as many subscribers if he were to make videos about tree frogs or apple sauce, I don't know what else to say.

The bottom line is that Joe is using someone else's IP for his own profit.

KorrZ

I'm sure he can pay his bills. Monetizing Nintendo videos would just be extra on top of what he already has. 'Greed', like Nintendo is accused of.

It still all comes back to "Why". Nintendo is the only one pulling this kind of crap so why should he, or anyone go out of their way to deal with it?

There is a reason most big youtubers have bowed out of Nintendo stuff.

Raist

Banned
Completely different than intellectual property rights and not at all similar to what is being discussed.

Nope, it's exactly the same.
And btw how does this not fall under fair use?

Why defend AJ when what he's doing is taking money through displaying the creation and content generated by other people?

Well we can go at this forever since I can ask the same question again. So how come it would be a fair argument for one but not the other? Last I checked, Nintendo has the final word, and people are defending this.
Seriously, how come this is only an issue with Nintendo? Who, by the way, already got the money from the copy of the game that was bought to produce the content. Why exactly would they be entitled to any money made by a perfectly legal use of said game? When that money is made because of someone's work, and not just as a mere reproduction of the game?

Petrae

Lots of salt towards Youtubers here, but for the non-jelly among us:

People should not focus on how the law is, because the laws were conceived without any kind of knowledge of Youtube or what it represents. Instead there should be discussion of where we want society to go with regards to Youtubing and such. Does it benefit society enough so that we should make sure that it can be a viable career choice? Should games creators be entitled to royalties (how much and for what kinds of content?), and should they be able to block content? Should they able to do one of those things or both?

I think there's certainly room for discussion about whether publishers and/or developers should be getting a cut of the revenue created based on their work. Obviously video is big business, and there should be ample room for compromise between all sides.

Honestly, I think someone needs to take this to court and get a fresh interpretation and ruling.

I think that video talent is nervous about this, because they have something to lose if the decision goes in favor of the publishers; meanwhile, keeping the status quo and just understanding that some publishers are going to want their cut (or at least a final say as to what can/can't be monetized) is a far safer approach. At the same time... a ruling that could go in favor of YouTubers could free them from fear of Content ID / takedowns.

Either way, we'd have a new precedent for this still-new age of media consumption and how copyright is affected.

This topic has always been rather weird. It's basically impossible to convince anyone of either position.
It's money Nintendo is entitled to, some can argue that it's smart business wise, some can argue it's not.
Nintendo thinks it is, so they are sticking with it.
I love a lot of YouTubers , so I don't think "get a real job" is a justified response.
I also don't think "lol, Nintendo defense force defending anything" is justified either.
I think both are entitled to revenue, which is what's going on. Some work needs to be done on the policies, but the idea is good.
There are valid points to both sides

I agree that Nintendo should come to an agreement to keep him playing their games, and that this is a loss for them.... but nonetheless, whining and removing your videos over not being able to make money playing certain video games? I'm not a fan of the word, but that's some pretty entitled shit.

So yeah, nobody's looking so good here. If I were to pick a side here though it'd be Nintendo, since I really don't like Joe removing his videos he already has just because it's not making him money - especially considering how fans funded it.

Ansatz

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think he said anything about never playing Nintendo games, just that he's not going to create footage for them.

What? I said specifically making videos of playing Nintendo games.

Create footage for them? What does that even mean, are these youtubers marketing firms or something?

I thought we were talking about gamers creating content to share with other gamers. You know, everyday people like you and I. This is no different than from IGN for example, so I have no respect or care for channels like this. I want to see stuff that comes from the heart, you playing/talking about a game you're passionate about. Not this calculated/engineered fake crap to maximize views.

Marcel

Well this just proves Nintendo is bigger than Angry. I don't think Nintendo would care if Angry was like IGN, GS reviewing games and sharing some of that revenue, like the big gaming do, but Angry doesn't he just plays a game, and people pay him "HIS" ad revenue to play a game. He should be honoured to play a Nintendo game and promise he'll donate half his revenue to vharity or something, then Nintendo wouldn't have been on his ass saying he can't just make money playing

What the fuck?

In regard to copyright laws? There's no reason for them to be more lenient for a digital distribution model versus regular TV model.

There'S a reason those regulations are in place, it's to protect the content creators.

Come on, stop with the generalities. I can't think of a single TV programme that is like Angry Joe for example.

Hatty

I think all content creators should take a cut, Nintendo is ahead of the game in this department
If you don't want to have to give a portion then this is when you negotiate or host it on your own website

Considering I own more than 50 games for the Wii U and only 5 for my Xbox One and 4 for my PS4, i'd say that "asshole tax" was my single best investment this generation.

... oh my god...

I just looked up the list of how many Wii U games there actually are. Answer: 111. http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games

So for any game on that list there's about a 50/50 chance you own it. Can I make some guesses? Funky Barn? Just Dance 4? Angry Birds Trilogy? Or how was Hello Kitty Kruisers?

Have fun! I hear that DeNA's changing Mario's job title from "plumber" to "cow clicker"

Gestault

But doesn't your point defeat the whole "free advertising" argument? If people are watching Joe's channel purely for Joe and have no interest in the games, his videos definitely don't benefit Nintendo in any way.

Actually, I feel like that would reinforce that point (with the correction that his audience clearly has interest in videogames, in the general sense).

The goal for advertisers is to get exposure for [whatever] while making sure those people would actually be receptive to [the whatever]. You don't want to pay to "preach to the choir," because it's a poor use of resources, and you don't want to pay for maxi-pad advertising at a men's conference.

Any case where Angry Joe's audience is off the beaten trail for a game he's sharing is good for the publisher of the game (assuming he has a positive reaction). The audience is still gaming enthusiasts, but can be different niches.

This person is not a gamer, but a business man.

If you are a genuine person with passion who likes Nintendo games and likes to make videos about them, then that's what you should do even if there is no money involved.

Your logic is faulty.

Considering making videos is his living, it'd be foolish to accommodate Nintendo games into his posting schedule that will not benefit him and create more work.

I don't care for Angry Joe pulling the woe is me bullshit, but at the same time Nintendo can either not try to strong arm him and other Youtubers or bring the favorable ones with significant mindshare in and cut a deal that would benefit both parties. Nintendo can't afford to appear anti-consumer in the slightest and the Youtubers can't afford to have more than one publisher start claiming copyright(frankly, they should and cut the gravy train off).

... oh my god...

I just looked up the list of how many Wii U games there actually are. Answer: 111. http://www.nintendolife.com/wiiu/games

So for any game on that list there's about a 50/50 chance you own it. Can I make some guesses? Funky Barn? Just Dance 4? Angry Birds Trilogy? Or how was Hello Kitty Kruisers?

Have fun! I hear that DeNA's changing Mario's job title from "plumber" to "cow clicker"

Did someone bump their head and forget that the Wii U is backwards compatible?

The library for both consoles is fairly large, since the Wii was also BC with Gamecube games.

Wagram

This post is legit gold.

tuxfool

Banned
Every Angry Joe thread is full of posts about how immature and childish he is.

Every Nintendo Copyright post is about how terrible their system is.

A thread about how Nintendo's crappy YouTube copyright system made Angry Joe act immaturely is basically a controversy nirvana for GAF.

I don't know. Some might hold out hope that nintendo sees sense, but their past history makes this a thin hope.

Fularu

Banned
Come on, stop with the generalities. I can't think of a single TV programme that is like Angry Joe for example.

I honestly don't know where you're from but in France, shows liek his are plentyfull on TV

For instance, on Musique Plus (Canadian channel) there was a TV show reviewing discs and the reviewer would prety much go as far as to break the disc on TV, rant abotu them, be angry at the music industry, etc.

I don't know if it's a french language thing but Joe doesn't strike me as very original or unique in his approach to games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
They enjoy watching Joe rant about VIDEO GAMES. That's the point. Without the games, Joe has to find something else to feature. If you truly believe that Joe would have just as many subscribers if he were to make videos about tree frogs or apple sauce, I don't know what else to say.

The bottom line is that Joe is using someone else's IP for his own profit.

Yes, his personality playing videogames sells. Sells a lot even. You don't get such a huge subscriber base for nothing.

Thing is though, there's only one company archaic enough to restrict him showing gameplay footage with commentary. That's what this thread is about.
And guess what, it's not really Joe's problem, he'll just play something else and the world will keep spinning.

All the other big gaming companies don't think it's an issue that he's promoting and reviewing their IP's to his fanbase. In fact, I think they realize how powerful of a marketing tool it really is.

I'm arguing that without using someone else's IP to bolster his business, Joe would be looking for a new line of work.

Agreed. But that's not going to happen.
Other developers, manufacturers and publishers are going to keep enjoying the free marketing and coverage. Nintendo will probably follow suit in a few years, behind the curve.

I think the main issue here is how much of a video people consider to be content you deserve to get paid for.

For some people, what AJ does is merely "displaying Nintendo's work, therefore Nintendo deserves at least some of the money". For others, it is "using the game as a basis, creating original content, and since AJ creates that originality, he deserves most if not all of the revenue".

If everybody came to terms on "original content" and "the usage of others' content as a basis for original content", this discussion could be far more civilized.

Alienous

It might make good business sense, but what Angry Joe is doing is kind of like a dude with a squeegee jumping out of nowhere, cleaning your dirty windshield then asking for money (it's not the best analogy, but it works if Joe thinks that the monetization is stealing money from the others).

Just let Nintendo have their dirty windshield. That's all there is to it.

Marcel

I'm arguing that without using someone else's IP to bolster his business, Joe would be looking for a new line of work.

It's a good thing Let's Plays and performance video game content aren't going anywhere so that particular human being doesn't have to be unemployed!

Raist

Banned
That opening paragraph way too far-fetched and a whole heap of nonsense.

Please explain why.

He's using a whole bunch of copyrighted softwares for his work which produces money on youtube. Nintendo is the only one having issues with it, so why would this be justified as opposed to the other ones? There's no difference whatsoever. Mario Party 10, Windows and whatever video editing software are all tools he's using to produce content. Which people want to watch as a whole.

Unless you're willing to think that watching him playing MP10 is exactly the same as buying and playing the game for yourself, in which case Nintendo lost a sale. We're not talking movies here.

This person is not a gamer, but a business man.

If you are a genuine person with passion who likes Nintendo games and likes to make videos about them, then that's what you should do even if there is no money involved.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think he said anything about never playing Nintendo games, just that he's not going to create footage for them.
I'm addressing you not calling him a gamer because he's concerned about his business.
What? I said specifically making videos of playing Nintendo games.

Create footage for them? What does that even mean, are these youtubers marketing firms or something?

I thought we were talking about gamers creating content to share with other gamers. You know, everyday people like you and I. This is no different than from IGN for example, so I have no respect or care for channels like this. I want to see stuff that comes from the heart, you playing/talking about a game you're passionate about. Not this calculated/engineered fake crap to maximize views.
Alright buddy, let's relax. Just because he's in the business of creating game content on YouTube etc., and won't create Nintendo footage because he feels they're taking away from his work does not mean he's "not a gamer" as you said in your first post.

Malus

So much salt haha.

I would definitely like Nintendo to spread the wealth and let people make money doing these videos. But it's their IPs and as of right now they can enforce whatever policies on anyone using their content for monetizing purposes. And it's totally fine for Angry Joe to refuse to make Nintendo related videos because he doesn't like their policies. Maybe Nintendo will budge one day but I don't know their reasoning.

This is all really dramatic though. It seems like an issue being blown way out of proportion because it affects someone popular, but at the same time at least it means his voice might get heard.

Not sure how an actual "discussion" is really warranted when ignorant individuals have been lobbing antagonistic "not a real job" comments to begin with. Several posts have pointed out that it's not just playing video games for these people; there's considerably more effort and time spent than that.

If you don't think discussion is "warranted", what are you doing here?

tuxfool

Banned
You tell those ancient zombies that make up Nintendo shareholders and the board of directors they are losing pennies on the dollar and they will freak the fuck out.

Oh, I don't know, their stock value jumped when nintendo saw the (rotten) light of the mobile world (years after everyone else).

This isn't some fantasy world where people don't have bills to pay.

Like it or not for a lot of people making videos on YouTube is their full time job, not charity work.
Then maybe they should run it like a business and understand the ins and outs of what they do, rather than feigning indignation at a foregone conclusion. If your job entails use of other companies intellectual properties and you know their policies regarding the use of them, regardless of what your personal feelings about those policies might be, proceed accordingly. "Do you even know who I am Nintendo????" isn't an especially cogent argument.

If you're an enthusiast, accept that it's a work of passion and don't monetize something you know will invite a hassle. And if it's your business, then be a business person and work within the framework you've chosen, especially if other people's IPs and a host site form the crux of your operations. The wisdom of Nintendo's policies are up for public debate, the terms of them are black and white. AngryJoe is within his rights to pull the video or avoid Nintendo-centric content, but his pouting over an unambiguous policy doesn't strike me as the mark of a professional.

xaszatm

Banned
Yes, his personality playing videogames sells. Sells a lot even. You don't get such a huge subscriber base for nothing.

Thing is though, there's only one company archaic enough to restrict him showing gameplay footage with commentary. That's what this thread is about.
And guess what, it's not really Joe's problem, he'll just play something else and the world will keep spinning.

All the other big gaming companies don't think it's an issue that he's promoting and reviewing their IP's to his fanbase. In fact, I think they realize how powerful of a marketing tool it really is.

Isn't Sega still being a dick about their videos are have they stopped that?

Young people use YT far more than any other gamin source. Maybe they will hear about Nintendo games from other sources, but with Nintendo not exisant on big YT channels it won't be able to capture a large portion of the audience.
Kids already don't give a damn about Nintendo. They don't give a damn about the "one of the most indentifable brands". Old timers do and they are getting older and older.

On some level maybe Nintendo is taking the smart approach and providing their older fans with higher disposable incomes more ways of spending money on the Nintendo brand (I'm trying to put this in the most positive terms possible), instead of appealing to the new generation of kids who grew up with alternative experiences like Minecraft and aren't used to paying retail prices for boxed games. It's similar to the anime industry making most of their money from merchandising for a smaller but extremely dedicated fanbase, rather than trying to reach new demographics.

If these policies aren't done out of pure ignorance I can understand them thinking that setting a precedent for exercising all their legal rights whenever possible is more important to their business model than competing for mindshare with other brands.

Marcel

On some level maybe Nintendo is taking the smart approach and providing their older fans with higher disposable incomes more ways of spending money on the Nintendo brand (I'm trying to put this in the most positive terms possible), instead of appealing to the new generation of kids who grew up with alternative experiences like Minecraft and aren't used to paying retail prices for boxed games. It's similar to the anime industry making most of their money from merchandising for a smaller but extremely dedicated fanbase, rather than trying to reach new demographics.

If these policies aren't done out of pure ignorance I can understand them thinking that setting a precedent for exercising all their legal rights whenever possible is more important to their business model than competing for mindshare with other brands.

Relying on a shrinking niche market seems like the good way to promote no substantial growth or worst case scenario: put yourself out of business. (Nintendo's IP is too valuable for the latter of course)

meh.

youtubers overestimate their value. they say they can give games a break. that is only true for niche, unknown, or poorly-marketed games, or indie games, or any combination of any of those.

games have sold before and they're going to sell now. youtubers aren't going to magically increase those numbers, no matter how much they say otherwise. on the flip side of the coin, youtubers aren't going to make wii u's sell gangbusters.

key

It's a good thing Let's Plays and performance video game content aren't going anywhere so that particular human being doesn't have to be unemployed!

Alright? I never said they were going anywhere. I just think the outrage over a company's desire to see some of the profit generated form the use of its IPs is pretty nonsensical.

MYeager

Nope, it's exactly the same.
And btw how does this not fall under fair use?

Er, not at all the same. That shows a gross misunderstanding of copyright.

It's not transformative. Running the content in the background and talking over it isn't a new thing, MST3K paid for licensing for example. This isn't different.

Raonak

Banned
Man, lots of nintendo fans are completely missing the point.

Sure, it's legally valid for nintendo to do this. In the same way Region locking is valid.
It's just fucking stupid, and completely backward. People aren't watching these channels for the games, they're watching it for how the personalities playing react.

Such a far cry from sony/ms who are making sharing as easy as possible on their consoles, even having streaming for lets plays directly built in to their consoles.

I honestly don't know where you're from but in France, shows liek his are plentyfull on TV

For instance, on Musique Plus (Canadian channel) there was a TV show reviewing discs and the reviewer would prety much go as far as to break the disc on TV, rant abotu them, be angry at the music industry, etc.

I don't know if it's a french language thing but Joe doesn't strike me as very original or unique in his approach to games.

True, reviews are pretty much protected on TV (and not on Youtube). But that leaves out the big issue of commented gameplay. Maybe I'm totally out of touch but I really can't think of a parallel on TV.

beril

Without sports leagues, tons of sports writers and commentators would be without work, too. So what?

If he was only writing about it wouldn't be a problem. But I'm fairly sure that TV stations that air sport events with commentators has to pay the sport leagues

Top Bottom