• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryJoe receives a Nintendo copyright claim. Hope they enjoyed the ad revenue; Done

REDDRAGON

Neo Member
They count inasmuch that Angry Joe has the right to prevent distribution of works that derive substantially from his content. That's the whole paradigm of copyright, the most badly named legal concept I know. No-one gets specific rights to copy or publish, instead these laws outline a set of exclusionary rights that interdict the publishing and copying activities of other parties.

I'm not saying that this is right or good, but something you need to know if you're unhappy with the way things work. You need to know whether you want tweaks to the current system or more radical change, but you have to understand what the system is before you can do that.

Thanks for the response.

I was just trying to say that the posts that more or less go along the lines of "Oh no, he gets paid to play video games. What will he do now?" aren't exactly seeing the whole picture, because producing, filming, and editing the videos does take a lot of hard work. Perhaps I didn't convey my message all that well then.

Last I heard the Xbox One was tracking above the 360, so there's that to. Just because Nintendo's back to normal after the Wii fad doesn't mean everyone else is in the same boat.

And as for dedicated portable gaming systems, yes they're a dying breed in the face of portable mobile devices.

"Wii fad" lol alright. Yeah Nintendo sure is lucky the Wii took off, but Wii U failing has nothing to do with luck, it's just their own bad decisions!!!

At least be coherent

Jigorath

Banned
Raising awareness for an automatic Youtube ContentID flag that Joe already knew would happen after he was flagged for Mario Kart 8, yet posted anyways conveniently alongside his rant on how this system sucks?

I mean, it's not like he's going to get a ton of clicks out of this or anything at all...

Again, why does it matter if he makes money? How does this in any way disprove his point?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why would people with no actual dog in the fight contact Nintendo legal? You're firmly in the armchair as is everyone else in this thread.

I contacted them once and it worked, I got an answer. I don't even have a Youtube channel.

Red Devil

The public stance of a lot of youtubers have been clear from day one and all these complaints wasn't enough for Nintendo to change their stance on the issue.

When PewDiePie complaints were known and reached the mass media and Nintendo did nothin, I'm not sure what's gonna change by contacting Nintendo directly.

Had it been who actually played Nintendo games beforehand and stopped because of that, so far all the examples thrown around didn't do that, like PewDiePie.

Unless or until the law is changed, I will forever be in defense of Nintendo's right to be able to act the way it acts. And I am really surprised that people insult others on GAF for having a different opinion than them, and people are applauded for it (on both sides of a discussion this happens). No, I will not look in a mirror at myself. I know my position and I think it is extremely irritating, insulting and unacceptable to attack me personally because of it. And then you have people go "great post man". Disgusting.

And to be perfectly clear, I don't think Nintendo is necessarily making the right decision for themselves. But people and companies have rights and those rights should be respected, especially if you're someone like Joe Vargas who is trying to make money off their content. I am not saying he has to like it, I am saying he shouldn't knowingly have tried to monetize ("share") Nintendo content without doing it through the proper channels. And Nintendo isn't a "dick" for doing what Vargas himself EXPECTED them to do.

Vena

The difference is that even with contraction home console market will be pretty big this gen and PS4 might even sell more than the leader of last gen (Wii). Handheld market just collapsed this gen and 3DS will have hard time to match the losing console of last gen (PSP).

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and see how the reality of it shakes out. And it doesn't matter if its "pretty big", it was simply a question of contraction.

antonz

-Chase after a 30% cut of the $2-4 per 1000 views youtube ad revenue.
-Variety youtubers abandon uploading Nintendo gameplay as they cannot afford to and/or don't want to give up that amount of money, nor do they want to jump through extra hoops to upload. These channels instead fill this gap by playing any other game, safe in the knowledge that their viewers will watch regardless.
-Only the hardcore Nintendo channels, watched exclusively by hardcore Nintendo fans, remain.
-????
-Sell extremely limited non-limited edition amiibos in stores to get the exposure Nintendo desperately needs.

File->Save As->NintendoBusinessStrategy2015.docx

Variety Youtubers rarely ever played Nintendo games anyways which is why all the bitching and moaning is hilarious. They never played them anyways but hey controversy drives clicks and views and that is all they want anyways

Had it been who actually played Nintendo games beforehand and stopped because of that, so far all the examples thrown around didn't do that, like PewDiePie.

I mean, the most popular ever Youtuber did a blogpost about how bad the new policy is, and Nintendo did shit even if it brought a certainly bad publicity.

What's gonna change if people actually calls Nintendo then? They clearly don't want to change the program.

Marcel

Variety Youtubers rarely ever played Nintendo games anyways which is why all the bitching and moaning is hilarious. They never played them anyways but hey controversy drives clicks and views and that is all they want anyways

This is Gamergate-tier logic right here. Maybe you'll talk about an Anti-Nintendo agenda next like that paranoid guy who works for GameXplain.

Jigorath

Banned

Second time I'm asking but why are you so upset with him making money?

antonz

This is Gamergate-tier logic right here. Maybe you'll talk about an Anti-Nintendo agenda next like that paranoid guy who works for GameXplain.

You are the one who is is simulating gamergate logic with all the personal attacks you have levied at people in this very thread.

Second time I'm asking but why are you so upset with him making money?

Upset with him making money? Don't recall saying I am at all. I am pointing out the logic behind his actions

so they never played them anyways? i never knew they never played them anyways. surely they played them at least once as oppossed to never playing them anyways. im not sure you are 100% right about the fact they never played them anyways. because As gamers, with accessibility to more games than the average gamer, i doubt they truly never played them anyways.

xaszatm

Banned
I contacted them once and it worked, I got an answer. I don't even have a Youtube channel.

Was it about their Content ID system? If so, what did they say? I do apologize if I'm asking for something that is confidential, btw. I'm just curious.

The fact that Nintendo has so little representation in such a significant part of games coverage should be a source of alarm, not a cause for celebration. "It was so bad this couldn't possibly make it worse" isn't a good justification for this policy.

Red Devil

I mean, the most popular ever Youtuber did a blogpost about how bad the new policy is, and Nintendo did shit even if it brought a certainly bad publicity.

What's gonna change if people actually calls Nintendo then? They clearly don't want to change the program.

Still, why would they listen to a person that didn't play Nintendo games, won't play Nintendo games and likely wasn't going to play Nintendo games anyway? Their approach on this is bad but PewDiePie is the person they have to listen to, because?

Let's not insult people over a friendly discussion, man.
Most of these YouTubers never covered Nintendo games, that's a valid point.

BY2K

Membero Americo
so they never played them anyways? i never knew they never played them anyways. surely they played them at least once as oppossed to never playing them anyways. im not sure you are 100% right about the fact they never played them anyways. because As gamers, with accessibility to more games than the average gamer, i doubt they truly never played them anyways.

Those that have been complaining the most (like Joe) about this do seem to be people that barely, if at all, covered Nintendo to begin with.

THEaaron

Well he makes money with their content. Think about that. Seriously. If you are Nintendo, do you need some YouTube gamer to advertise your games? I'm on the side of Nintendo here.

Every company should be in the comfortable position to decide that because they are the ones with effort and risk.

Clockwork5

My response:

Screen_Shot_2015_04_04_at_6_44_51_AM.png

Bravo, junior! I like your style.

Still, why would they listen to a person that didn't play Nintendo games, won't play Nintendo games and likely wasn't going to play Nintendo games anyway? Their approach on this is bad but PewDiePie is the person they have to listen to, because?

Because he has +30m subscribers so his words carries a lot of weight and he also represents how a large majority of Youtubers may feel about the program?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and see how the reality of it shakes out. And it doesn't matter if its "pretty big", it was simply a question of contraction.

Just wanted to point out that even with contraction being a leader in home console market puts you in vastly different position compared to being a leader in current handheld market. Other market collapsed and other is seeing decent contraction (with most of it coming from Nintendo). Really. PS4 sold more software last year than 3DS and one was having its launch year and one was having its peak year. That is the difference between current home console and handheld markets.

Game Guru

With the Psp honestly im surprised sony bothered to make the Vita. Although there are still successful games on it, silver lining i suppose

PSP sold 82 million units. That is great for a gaming system in general and especially a handheld not made by Nintendo. Hell, it outsold the Game Boy Advance and will likely have outsold the 3DS. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 only barely outsold it. The only reason why people even see the PSP as a failure is because the DS sold enough systems to become the second best selling video game system of all time and even the PS2, the best selling video game system of all time, only outsold the DS by 1 million units. PSP did amazing, but DS was on a whole other level!

Marcel

You are the one who is is simulating gamergate logic with all the personal attacks you have levied at people in this very thread.

Repeating what I said but as a "response" to me and pretending it's a contribution says a lot about what you actually have to say. But please, go on about your actual Gamergate-tier 'clickbait journalism' spiel.

xaszatm

Banned
The fact that Nintendo has so little representation in such a significant part of games coverage should be a source of alarm, not a cause for celebration. "It was so bad this couldn't possibly make it worse" isn't a good justification for this policy.

Except they don't? That's the thing I'm laughing at. Nintendo DOES have a significant Youtube audience. It's just that this audience and the Neogaf crowd are two different audiences. As such, it seems as if Nintendo doesn't have a Youtube presence. So yeah, Angry Joe has every right to stop playing Nintendo videos, there are hundreds of others with the views willing to take his place. Does he have a right to complain? Of course. But to insinuate that Joe would somehow affect Nintendo's sales in any way shape or form is laughable because his views are still just a drop in the bucket. All those other views haven't helped the Wii U situation, I'm not sure how much Joe would have made any difference.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo does create a bit of exposure themselves with the Nintendo Directs.

The last one has 100k people watching live.

Ah well, there's thousands of games on PC and other systems to play or cover instead. Ninty games are a drop in the ocean in the whole grand scheme of things. I'm sure Joe, or any other non-nintendo dedicated youtubers won't lose any sleep over dropping 'em and covering games from publishers and developers who are less restrictive when it comes to Youtube videos. Just delete the Ninty video and move on to greener pastures.

tXOi8y5.gif

olimpia84

I thought Nintendo was cool with people doing this as long as you follow their guidelines and share the revenue? Is this a case of Joe being a selfish asshole and wanting the whole pie instead of a few slices?

xaszatm

Banned
Ah well, there's thousands of games on PC and other systems to play or cover instead. Ninty games are a drop in the water in the whole grand scheme of things. I'm sure Joe, or any other non-nintendo dedicated youtubers won't lose any sleep over dropping 'em and covering games from publishers and developers who are less restrictive when it comes to Youtube videos. Just delete the Ninty video and move on to greener pastures.

The ironic thing is that they exact same thing can be said to Nintendo. Nintendo, quite frankly, doesn't need Angry Joe as they already have channels that will create Nintendo related gaming content that match or exceed Angry Joe's. So, in that similar vein, Nintendo isn't losing any sleep for the Angry Joe's views because that is a "drop in a bucket" compared to what they get from all the other people willing to do modern Nintendo content.

Chindogg

Again, why does it matter if he makes money? How does this in any way disprove his point?

Because getting CID'ed had nothing to do with Nintendo and everything to do with Youtube's automatic flagging system. The fact that he knew about it because it happened before with a previous video of his? The fact he did the exact same thing, knowing the exact same thing would happen, but had nothing to do with the company he's ranting against?

Marcel

Nintendo does create a bit of exposure themselves with the Nintendo Directs.

The last one has 100k people watching live.

Maybe it's a big whoop for Nintendo but that's not really anything to celebrate compared to personality-driven and more interactive streams on Twitch which definitely draw more than 100k.

The ironic thing is that they exact same thing can be said to Nintendo. Nintendo, quite frankly, doesn't need Angry Joe as they already have channels that will create Nintendo related gaming content that match or exceed Angry Joe's. So, in that similar vein, Nintendo isn't losing any sleep for the Angry Joe's views because that is a "drop in a bucket" compared to what they get from all the other people willing to do modern Nintendo content.

Yup. No fucks should be given all around.

Orayn

I thought Nintendo was cool with people doing this as long as you follow their guidelines and share the revenue? Is this a case of Joe being a selfish asshole and wanting the whole pie instead of a few slices?

He didn't want to participate in their partner program for reasons he apparently ranted about earlier, so he just carried on despite knowing what would eventually happen.

That's the only thing I really fault him for, to be honest. I empathize with YouTubers on Nintendo's policies being pretty restrictive compared to other publishers', but Joe already had this experience and ranted about it before. He knew he was tempting fate but still decided to act surprised and outraged when the inevitable occurred, in a way that vaguely reminds me of those goofballs who do borderline illegal stuff so they can film themselves arguing with cops and saying "AM I BEING DETAINED OR AM I FREE TO GO?"

Phamit

Because he has +30m subscribers so his words carries a lot of weight and he also represents how a large majority of Youtubers may feel about the program?

I think the large majority of Youtubers including PewDiepie didn't understand that the program wasn't for them , since their already You Tube Partners or in a MCN.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Was it about their Content ID system? If so, what did they say? I do apologize if I'm asking for something that is confidential, btw. I'm just curious.

I'm trying to find the email. Can't remember which account I used to send it...

Here it is.

Hi,

Me and a colleague have a project to start a channel commentating on our live footage of games, with the idea to focus on games made and published on Nintendo platforms. However, there has been some frictions these past months between Nintendo and the content creators, as user created videos, mainly on Youtube, were taken down or marked as intellectual property by Nintendo, which scared potential content creators away.

Recently however, Nintendo of Japan announced their support of content creators and even announced a reward program for channels with great performance on the niconico video website. Does Nintendo of America have a similar view and is also supportive toward content creator on website such as Youtube? Would it be possible to create such videos without fear of having our channel taken down?

Thank you.

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting Nintendo of America. I would like to first apologize for the delay in our response. We have been especially busy and thank you for your patience as we reply.
Regarding your email, I can appreciate your concerns regarding this announcement made by Nintendo Co., Ltd. Your comments regarding this subject are important to us; as such, I have documented your email and will share it with the relevant departments at Nintendo, so your feedback is heard.
At this time, Nintendo of America hasn't made any similar announcements. Please keep in mind, Nintendo subsidiaries from other regions are separate and distinct from ours. If or when we make any announcements regarding this topic, we'll be sure to share all of the details at our website (http://nintendo.com).
As for your questions, while we are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions. I realize this isn’t what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.
Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances. You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible—Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Curtis Neal

Not much of an answer, but I tried. Ignore the part of my starting a channel, it didn't go through because of unforeseen circumstances.

I'm willing to bet that most of these 100k people are Nintendo fans who already owns Nintendo products.

Does it matter? They get front page media coverage from their directs on plenty of sites due to the traffic they generate. Just because you're not directly watching them doesn't mean people aren't hearing about them or being exposed to them.

xaszatm

Banned
It must be an anti-Nintendo controversy drummed up for clicks and other posts straight from the crank file.

? What the hell does that have to do with anything? If you're referring to my earlier remarks, I was mocking how hyperbolic these threads have gotten. I'm sorry that I wasn't very clear as I'm simply unfunny.

Top Bottom