• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryJoe receives a Nintendo copyright claim. Hope they enjoyed the ad revenue; Done

No, Joe knew about Nintendo's policy. He got a copyright claim before and even made a video ranting about it then. Also, why is he so butthurt about Nintendo wanting to split the monetization if it's just a stream from Twitch? It's not like he put any additional effort into the Youtube version.

Its like the third time this happened to him I think.

choodi

Banned
Not sure if this has ben raised yet, but if i were to film myself watching a movie and uploaded the whole thing to YouTube, would that be something people thought was wrong?

Red Devil

Found the tweet where he already complained about the programm https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/562455254583611392

HDiJclC.png

He knew very well what would happen

I don't think Nintendo made the right choices, but this seems fishy from Joe

His Rants usually generates more klicks then his lets Play, so maybe he took the opportunity...again

Well but now we have two fantastic videos from him on the matter, eh? eh?

It's all very fishy indeed.

Gabeking

Holy shit now this dude is the REAL Angry Joe. I really wish these 2 would have a chat with one another....LOLOLOLOL I can already imagine both screaming on top of each other and making everyone listening deaf.

Only thing I've learned from this thread is that they're probably both great at parties.

Orayn

Not sure if this has ben raised yet, but if i were to film myself watching a movie and uploaded the whole thing to YouTube, would that be something people thought was wrong?

Well, Mystery Science Theater 3000 did this and did make money off of it, but they also paid for the rights to the movies. It made things rather complicated for them to rebroadcast or release on home video due to all the different copyright holders who were involved.

choodi

Banned
Well, Mystery Science Theater 3000 did this and did make money off of it, but they also paid for the rights to the movies. It made things rather complicated for them to rebroadcast or release on home video due to all the different copyright holders who were involved.

And this is the core of the problem with complaining about Nintendo's stance. No one questions a film studio's right to licence their content, so why is it different for video games?

Dude, Angrier Joe is my new favorite YouTube personality. That guy was cracking me up, he reminds me of like someone in a John Waters movie. He'd be great in a comedy/horror film if he's playing a character there, he just moves so much and looks like he might literally pop. His catchphrase can be "Fahckin' buFFOON"

Needs teeth work done though.

Pop

He knew(I'm sure anyone could with a quick google search) ok. He's been in this situation before, ok.

But what's he really at fault about here. This all still comes back to Nintendo and their god awful way of going about this. There should not be a damn problem uploading a video to youtube but Nintendos still stuck in the stone age.

213372bu

Banned
And this is the core of the problem with complaining about Nintendo's stance. No one questions a film studio's right to licence their content, so why is it different for video games?

Nobody is arguing legalities.

We are regarding ethics and whether action based on legal rights is necessary on these matters, when other companies allow LPs and have accredited an increase in sales because of it.

Zing

Banned
Some of these "let's play" video are akin to commentary tracks of a DVD. If someone were to upload an entire movie with their own commentary, of course it would be taken down and I suspect no one would think anything of it.

Toxi

Banned
Nobody is arguing legalities.

We are regarding ethics and whether legal action is necessary on these matters, when other companies allow LPs and have accredited an increase in sales because of it.
It's not about ethics (ugh), it's just about what's practical. There's little to indicate Nintendo's current policies are a good idea for the company; most other large companies in the industry are wholeheartedly embracing youtubers and benefitting from it.

Orayn

There's some debate over whether or not just playing a game is the same as showing a movie. People who want to make money from gameplay videos (predictably) say that it's not, and some people who hold the publishing rights to those games think differently. There's not really any legal precedent to go off of, because nobody's gone to court over Let's Plays as far as I know.

For reviews, it's generally agreed that you can use snippets of the work in question, but in that case you'd need to dispute the ContentID match using the systems YouTube has put in place.

>says welcome to the show
>says "So?" in response that his actions imply mental illness.

A+

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic. I will assume you are though. The point is that he is just doing his own thing, am I wrong? Whether that appeals to you or not (doesn't appeal to me, just like Vargas doesn't appeal to me when he shouts and rants), is just part of the "show" of whatever business you wanna say they are in (twitch/youtube streaming).

Making something actually difficult to watch isn't good if you want people to, you know, watch your videos. And no one's watching that guy's videos.

You're right, and I feel the same way about Vargas' content. Opinions and all. I don't know the youtuber but he is entitled to do things the way he wants to, right?

Yet people are still defending him... Hmmm...

No, the vast majority aren't defending him, they are defending let's play. No clue why this needs to be stated over and over again. Not to mention the fact I still haven't seen proof that his fans donated to get him to buy a Wii U. Calling ad revenue/etc donations is a bit of a stretch, no?

choodi

Banned
Some of these "let's play" video are akin to commentary tracks of a DVD. If someone were to upload an entire movie with their own commentary, of course it would be taken down and I suspect no one would think anything of it.

So why are people so surprised that Nintendo is doing exactly what any other creative industries business would do when their content is being used without a license?

Marcel

You're right, and I feel the same way about Vargas' content. Opinions and all. I don't know the youtuber but he is entitled to do things the way he wants to, right?

So you agree that no one watches that guy's videos and that a million or so people watch AJ. Sounds good man. Feel free to subscribe to the1316 "Angrier Joe" killer, looks like he could use the help.

So why are people so surprised that Nintendo is doing exactly what any other creative industries business would do when their content is being used without a license?

Because no other similar company, IE sony or MS are doing it. Yes we know they have the legal right to do it, doesnt make them any less dickish or ridiculous.

And I see weve reached the phase where Joe fabricated this as part of his master plan to upload a monetized rant video. Really, you guys?

This guy is an idiot. Why does he get topics so frequently?

I don't like someone, they say stuff I don't like, they are an idiot. Ok.

Because no other similar company, IE sony or MS are doing it. Yes we know they have the legal right to do it, doesnt make them any less dickish or ridiculous.

Do they? I'm not talking about YouTube policy, I'm talking about actual IP/Copyright law. I have yet to see a court case concerning 'Let's Play' on the merits of those laws.

Darknight

Angrier Joe is best Joe. Dude should get a GAF account handed to him. He is literally one of us and needs to be in this community. Where are the GAF missionaries?

213372bu

Banned
It's not about ethics (ugh), it's just about what's practical. There's little to indicate Nintendo's current policies are a good idea for the company; most other large companies in the industry are wholeheartedly embracing youtubers and benefitting from it.

Taking away the Gamersgate dictionary... (I just read that myself and cringed)

Better phrased:"Should Nintendo always take action?"

But of course, the practical angle is what I've been arguing mostly.

It just doesn't make sense for Nintendo to do this.

It's crazy that most of the biggest games that are LP'd have a community in which LP'ers are praised by devs. Hell, CoD and Minecraft LP'ers can get more than just the 'privelege' of having their videos monetized.

Video game publishers maybe, but every single film industry business would jump all over this type of violation of their IP.

It's disingenuous to say equate you monetizing a video of you watching a movie over Seananners playing Dying Light with his friends, yes.

vcc

Dude, Angrier Joe is my new favorite YouTube personality. That guy was cracking me up, he reminds me of like someone in a John Waters movie. He'd be great in a comedy/horror film if he's playing a character there, he just moves so much and looks like he might literally pop. His catchphrase can be "Fahckin' buFFOON"

Needs teeth work done though.

There seems to be a whole slew of youtube people injecting enormous negativity into gaming. Angry this, cynical that, annoying who ever, etc... I blame James Rolfe. He started it, but has abandoned the angry part. At least Rolfe isn't as cringey as a lot of them. All the videos I have seen Angry joe make me cringe. TB makes me cringe for how smug he is even when he's massively wrong. Marcus beer just echoed what ever was making noise in the forum with uninformed condescension. And then there's me, throwing negativity at it too. I suppose I should start with me and be more positive. MarioKart is a fun game I can play with my wife. There.

So you agree that no one watches that guy's videos and that a million or so people watch AJ. Sounds good man. Feel free to subscribe to the1316 "Angrier Joe" killer, looks like he could use the help.

So you are saying that someone who isn't an internet celebrity is labelled a nobody? Great way to dismiss someone's point of view... I guess.

edit:
See, I can literally ignore what you say too.

Chindogg

They do, above and beyond what's probably reasonable, and I don't see how allowing people to make Let's Plays degrades their rights to control their properties. Copyrights have to be enforced for them to matter, yes, but I don't see what putting up both bureaucratic and financial barriers for people to cover their games is really protecting them from. Plus reserving the right to possibly refuse any video that expresses an opinion about their games that they don't agree with is a slippery slope to go down, and the fact that Nintendo are okay with being completely blatant about it while Microsoft tried to do the same thing on the down-low and got slammed for it is a testament to how much leeway people give Nintendo.

Reviews are still protected under fair use. This is about Let's Plays.

Also, having an approval system to avoid questionable problems (PDP yelling out slurs, TB going into GG shit) isn't the same as discretely manipulating Youtubers into creating positive press. The fact that it's transparent on the actual partnership site should allow some leeway toward it's intended use.

I can see the slippery slope argument, but at the same time I'd rather not slam a program on it's potential rather than what it does wrong now. 30-40% cut in revenue is too much.

There seems to be a whole slew of youtube people injecting enormous negativity into gaming. Angry this, cynical that, annoying who ever, etc... I blame James Rolfe. He started it, but has abandoned the angry part. At least Rolfe isn't as cringey as a lot of them. All the videos I have seen Angry joe make me cringe. TB makes me cringe for how smug he is even when he's massively wrong. Marcus beer just echoed what ever was making noise in the forum with uninformed condescension. And then there's me, throwing negativity at it too. I suppose I should start with me and be more positive. MarioKart is a fun game I can play with my wife. There.
Yeah, you can blame James, but I think this is sort of like a Homer Simpson thing where people copy something without recognizing the humanity behind it that made it popular in the first place, and then we just keep spiraling down the rabbit hole.

Found the tweet where he already complained about the programm https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/562455254583611392

HDiJclC.png

He knew very well what would happen

I don't think Nintendo made the right choices, but this seems fishy from Joe

His Rants usually generates more klicks then his lets Play, so maybe he took the opportunity...again

I just watched the video angryjoe made ( his final nintendo rant ) and he already answers this. he uploaded that original mario party vid , before putting 30+ hours of work working on a review that would get flagued.

Also it's funny how the jimquisition video basicly answers all the complains of the first 10 pages

213372bu

Banned
Are you seriously blaming AVGN, the man who paved the way and inspired many in the video game industry to publish gaming related things on Youtube?

Don't blame James for others, he busts his ass doing these videos out of passion. Even his movie was more of a passion product than it was "a cheap cash-in".

The man deserves respect for his "hussle".

Red Devil

Video game publishers maybe, but every single film industry business would jump all over this type of violation of their IP.

I was wondering about that, I've read people on GAF about the video game industry learning from the film industry, clearly this isn't the way to go with that though.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
You really need me to clarify this for you? You really do not see the difference between films and games?

What about the non-interactive assets of video games, though? The music, sounds, models, textures, FMVs etc. are still copyrighted and are not really altered by a Let's Player's performance. Aside from maybe stuff like Little Big Planet where the player can create his own assets.

Top Bottom