• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival Announced (Wii U, Mario Party System, Holiday 2015)

Boogiepop

Now that the dust has settled, for what it's worth, I may be fine with this, actually. Though obviously we all got ourselves excited for AC on WiiU what with the timing and the amiibo leaking ahead of time, and obviously this is a disappointment if you think of it as being in place of that... it's obviously wasn't an either/or situation. This game's development had to have cost a tiny fraction of what a full AC would cost. And seeing now the stuff packed in, assuming they aren't greedy with things and make this a budget price, that would honestly make this the equivalent of stuff like Flingsmash or Wiiplay, something you buy because it's "cheap" considering the stuff it comes with. So with that in mind, assuming they at least come up with a thing or two to prevent this from literally being a dice rolling simulator (IE make player choice matter to some degree), I could actually be cool with this.

Obviously I'd rather have a proper AC, but in thinking on it it's not like Nintendo said "nah, let's make a party game instead."

Rodin

I was wondering... Splatoon team made this right?

So why did we expect to see a full Animal Crossing title at E3?

Now that the dust has settled, for what it's worth, I may be fine with this, actually. Though obviously we all got ourselves excited for AC on WiiU what with the timing and the amiibo leaking ahead of time, and obviously this is a disappointment if you think of it as being in place of that... it's obviously wasn't an either/or situation. This game's development had to have cost a tiny fraction of what a full AC would cost. And seeing now the stuff packed in, assuming they aren't greedy with things and make this a budget price, that would honestly make this the equivalent of stuff like Flingsmash or Wiiplay, something you buy because it's "cheap" considering the stuff it comes with. So with that in mind, assuming they at least come up with a thing or two to prevent this from literally being a dice rolling simulator (IE make player choice matter to some degree), I could actually be cool with this.

Obviously I'd rather have a proper AC, but in thinking on it it's not like Nintendo said "nah, let's make a party game instead."

I agree, and i'll buy it for Christmas to play it with my family and friends.

Reule

It does work very well on a handheld but I think there should at least be home console game as well. I liked the idea of having both options like with Wild World and City Folk.

I think it was the amiibo which were leaked a little prior to E3. Many of us assumed it meant they were for a traditional Animal Crossing title on Wii-U.

E-phonk

Banned

EAD 2.
As has been shown, Nintendo can add people to EAD teams during crunch time. The idea was since the assets already exist (Mario Kart / AC Plaza) and the engine exists, they could potentially make a "AC: New Leaf HD with a twist" in a short periode.

Turns out the twist was bigger than people could expect.

nintendo-wii-supplies.gif

I imagine the next mainline Animal Crossing will be a cross-platform NX game. Done.
Pretty much yeah.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well, the problem is also that Animal Crossing: New Leaf is still selling in Japan, it's about to cross 4 million and has not reached it's proverbial ceiling yet.

So, Nintendo is pretty much cashing in on the IP and making two offshoots for the 3DS and Wii U.

I imagine the next mainline Animal Crossing will be a cross-platform NX game. Done.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

So why did we expect to see a full Animal Crossing title at E3?.

The EAD Software Groups (Kyoto 1-5, Tokyo 1-3) just represent the Producer and his select planning team. The actual production team (programmers, musicians, artists) isn't exclusive to any group, so they can shift around from whoever has the bigger project going.

ngower

I don't see the bundle as a value, as some have suggested. Amiibo can easily be found for $10-12, so you drop off maybe $20 of the total value there, plus the amiibo cards (which, let's be real, probably don't cost much to produce) so at best this is a $40 game? I dunno, I don't really see much to get excited about.

And there's the fact that there's no online? I love couch multiplayer, but the harsh reality of today's world is that we don't really have the time to get everyone together for these types of scenarios. And I don't really see the point in playing a board game against the computer.

The amiibo are fucking rad. I love them and I will (begrudgingly) buy some. But the game itself looks stupid.

Boogiepop

I don't see the bundle as a value, as some have suggested. Amiibo can easily be found for $10-12, so you drop off maybe $20 of the total value there, plus the amiibo cards (which, let's be real, probably don't cost much to produce) so at best this is a $40 game? I dunno, I don't really see much to get excited about.

And there's the fact that there's no online? I love couch multiplayer, but the harsh reality of today's world is that we don't really have the time to get everyone together for these types of scenarios. And I don't really see the point in playing a board game against the computer.

The amiibo are fucking rad. I love them and I will (begrudgingly) buy some. But the game itself looks stupid.

At least in the US, the big way to get discount on Amiibo is Best Buy's GCU, which would have the same discount apply to the game "bundle" anyway. You only really see discounts outside of that on the super common stuff, but on the flip-side plenty of stuff becomes rare enough that it's hard to find them for MSRP. So it's probably best to consider the retail of $13 a pop until proven otherwise on these, so $26 for those. Don't know an MSRP on the cards, and though I'm sure they won't be expensive to make, I don't they're going to retail for pennies. So I'd say you're getting roughly $30 "off" if you want the stuff included. I don't believe we've heard a price for this yet, and yeah, if they make it a full $60 I'd say they've screwed up and that's a scam, barring some serious hidden depth to the game. But if they go a budget price of like $40, that seems about right to me. But yeah, that's based on stuff we don't know.

And of course yeah, if you can't get people together for a in-person hangout it'll be probably be useless.

Am I missing something cause I don't get how mini games on the board work. I feel like this whole thing could have been included in a proper Animal Crossing WiiU entry.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Am I missing something cause I don't get how mini games on the board work. I feel like this whole thing could have been included in a proper Animal Crossing WiiU entry.

This is a proper board game with events and consequences, it's not a mini-game driven contest like Mario Party.

Think of Monopoly or Fortune Street.

Karkador

Banned
Well there still appears to be a stalk market, spaces on the board that affect the price, and the money looked like it got converted to points the end of the game (it looked like everyone had a lot)

Vena

This is an actual boardgame.

Look up Fortune Street (a Monopoly clone). That is how this works. You roll the dice, move around the board, events happen with little cutscenes, then next player takes their turn. You may or may not have some sort of investments/risks ala Monopoly. Money is won, and I think "Happiness" is what is gambled, so to speak.

No online is just terrible. Nintendo isn't even trying with games like this and Mario Party 10. Yet Splatoon has been a hit so far thanks to decent online play and updates, and they aren't taking note.

NotLiquid

Was this known of?

0dKTu10.png

The game is apparently free - much like Animal Crossing Plaza. You'll just pay for the Amiibo required to play.

I did not see this coming and still don't know what to think of it but I will do horrible things for the amiibo. I hate that I need them but I need them.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Was this known of?

0dKTu10.png

The game is apparently free - much like Animal Crossing Plaza. You'll just pay for the Amiibo required to play.

It's the only way this game makes any type of sense. Charging $60 for this is a joke, even if two Amiibos and cards are bundled with it.

Was this known of?

0dKTu10.png

I always find it best to take a pinch of salt regarding "a Nintendo rep told me..." I seem to recall that was how one of the many Rayman is in Smash things happened.

Also why is there is a placeholder physical package (http://i.imgur.com/OXnTxwN.png) and why would they neglect to mention this fact? Nintendo masters of miscommunication since...

NotLiquid

I would assume that the logic is you can still get the game itself as a free download but just buy the figures separately if you prefer. Two Amiibo + Cards seem like they'd be more for a physical bundle. You can't play the game without them so it makes more sense. I kind of have my doubts that this would be full retail despite Amazon's preliminary listing if you can get the game for free. $40 would make much more sense for what you get.

Then again this shit is confusing and as has been said the Nintendo rep might not know much about it.

EDIT: They're going to show the game on Treehouse now so maybe we'll get some answers.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I always find it best to take a pinch of salt regarding "a Nintendo rep told me..." I seem to recall that was how one of the many Rayman is in Smash things happened.

Also why is there is a placeholder physical package (http://i.imgur.com/OXnTxwN.png) and why would they neglect to mention this fact? Nintendo masters of miscommunication since...

I take it you are really buying the Amiibo's, and the physical game is just a novelty. Something like a $30 package.

Chaos17

Maybe for people who want to buy the bundle they get the physical copy of the gamewhime other who go digital don't need it ?

TheJoRu

I guess it makes sense to make a physical copy. Even if the game is free digitally not all use the Eshop, or use the Wii U connected to the internet. Likely to be bundle-only with two Amiibo and three cards as in the image.

Was this known of?

0dKTu10.png

This makes that game announcement 100% more acceptable in my eyes. My initial assumption was a 40$ish game designed to exploit animal crossing fans and sell more amiibos with what looked like a mediocre board game video game.

They should have mentioned that it was free in the direct.

Chaos17

Cross play game confirmed with Home designer : you can place the home of the villager you made in Home designer in this game through the card.

Give me that with the real game too please *cry*

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oh, it's free? Ok. I'm on board now.

It is probably being packed in with 2-3 Amiibo for $39? Something like that. This is a mainly a casual / children's game, having them download the app and buying random Amiibo doesn't seem commercially effective.

Top Bottom