• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival |OT| Enbrace your Party Animal!

daycru

My only beef with the game is that rolling a dice using an amiibo gains a happiness point. So players without amiibos get screwed out of up to 31 points per game. The box only comes with two.

Also, K.K. being a part of a three pack really sucks. I don't need six of these things, I need four.

Kitoro

So, assuming a player does have 4 AC Amiibo, do players really need to hold them in their grubby hands and scan them in every turn, or can I put them away after scanning them in and play without scanning? I don't care if we lose 31 Happy Points each, if that's all that would happen.

daycru

So, assuming a player does have 4 AC Amiibo, do players really need to hold them in their grubby hands and scan them in every turn, or can I put them away after scanning them in and play without scanning? I don't care if we lose 31 Happy Points each, if that's all that would happen.

All amiibo players need to tap the amiibo every single time to roll. And you have to play with at least one amiibo.

So I just found another layer of strategy to the gameplay. After your third game, you can start inviting villagers to live in your town if you have their card. While you are playing you can let them role for you by scanning their card instead of your figure. If you do, they are more likely to role the number that is on their card, so you can aim for a certain space. BUT, you won't get a happy point for rolling that turn like you do when you scan your figure, so there is some risk involved. It's pretty neat if you have a number of cards and can invite multiple people to your town.

TheGrue

Played with my daughter last night and we enjoyed it. The first thing we unlocked after it allowed us to was the AC Quiz Show. We had a blast and played it a number of times as we're both really big AC fans. She won some and I won some, so it was good that I didn't just dominate. We then unlocked the battle one as it seemed neat, but the gamepad was running out of juice, so we had to delay actually playing it.

ngower

Forbes review is the only one up (very positive) but lots of impressions from gaming press (journalists, not the site themselves) seem to be less than impressed with this game. Looks like it could probably settle somewhere between 6 and 7 on Metacritic from what I'm gathering.

From what I can gather, this seems like a great family game because it's not so overly complicated that younger kids can't get into the concept and older, non-gaming folks can pretty easily latch onto the concepts. But lots of people seem to be pointing out a lack of depth, and no real skill involved (heavy emphasis on luck).

Looks like I might return the game, but I want this Isabelle amiibo! WHAT TO DO?!

fernoca

Was able to play it finally (picked my preorder on Friday :p), and I really liked it.

Is no "OMFG this is going to ruin friendships when we play together...can't wait to play it with my friends!!", but was just so....relax.

You roll the dice, move around, either get Bells, Happy Points, both...or substract them. Dialogs on every turn have the usual AC charm. In many things, it feels more like an actual board game, than Mario Party since the focus is not on minigames, but on luck and management.

Overall is a nice addition to the games rotation. The game's cute, charming, relax. The amiibo are great too. Really glad I got this.

IzzyF3

Forbes review is the only one up (very positive) but lots of impressions from gaming press (journalists, not the site themselves) seem to be less than impressed with this game. Looks like it could probably settle somewhere between 6 and 7 on Metacritic from what I'm gathering.

From what I can gather, this seems like a great family game because it's not so overly complicated that younger kids can't get into the concept and older, non-gaming folks can pretty easily latch onto the concepts. But lots of people seem to be pointing out a lack of depth, and no real skill involved (heavy emphasis on luck).

Looks like I might return the game, but I want this Isabelle amiibo! WHAT TO DO?!

I can't imagine Nintendo not releasing a separate Isabelle, but who knows.

Stopdoor

All amiibo players need to tap the amiibo every single time to roll. And you have to play with at least one amiibo.

In Mario Party 10 it would prompt you to tap the amiibo, but you could do almost everything the amiibo tap could do by pressing the A button on the gamepad. Have you tried anything similiar?

Kotaku's Mike Fahey posted his impressions.

What I want is a full Animal Crossing game on the Wii U. What I do not want is the look and feel of a full Animal Crossing game over top of a mediocre board game and a handful of yawn-inducing mini-games.

So, yeah, not exactly a rave. One of the comments in that review is a lot more positive:

Everyone is saying the real fun game of this entire release is the Desert Island Escape game. You should definitely play that. You take 3 villagers, and have to forage, fight, and scavenge for materials to survive on a deserted island for X amount of days until your raft is ready to go. That is definitely the definitive mode of the game if you’re looking for something fun and engaging.

daycru

In Mario Party 10 it would prompt you to tap the amiibo, but you could do almost everything the amiibo tap could do by pressing the A button on the gamepad. Have you tried anything similiar?

Pressing the A button makes your character shake its head and the Animal Crossing unhappy sound hits. You have to use the amiibo.

Finally ended up unlocking the last two modes.

amiibo card battle is fairly interesting, but i think it could have been much more clever if there was some use of having your cards randomize. Perhaps if you play it with other people, the 6 cards can all be flipped over, put into a deck and each of you taking turns playing one out of the 6, then reshuffling them or something. As it stands now, if you have selected 6 cards of similar or very different numbers, it'll likely favor one player or the other the whole match, unless they happen to match up to the Zodiac symbol. It's almost like War but severely shafted because of the amount of cards it wants. I figure it's probably impossible to have a huge amount of amiibo cards unless you or someone you get together with has a ton of them.

Mystery Camper is...kind of meh. You select 6 amiibo cards, and scan them in. The game shuffles them and hides them in 4 tents. You have to scan them in in the correct order within 10 rounds. Each round, it'll let you know if one of them is right or if you're close, and you kind of have to work backwards. But..that's the only way to figure out the correct order...there's no other hints. While I think the sentiment is there that it's clever, its just randomly difficult. I won one game on the 10th try after I had figured out the correct order, and only netted 10 points so it was pretty useless to try to gain more happy points/tickets from that.

From what I can tell, the easiest way to get happy points to expedite your opening of all attractions:

- Play the balloon game, one player and just use the same card. If you're pretty decent with it, you can get like 200 points in about 10 games or so. And they go by fast so it's not really a huge wait time.

-If you have the time, as bulletbill mentioned, you can play as two players and use the isabelle and digby (or...i guess if you have more, any two is fine lol) and quickly knock out a full game in around 45 minutes. I was able to nearly level up Isabelle to Lv 2 in just the one game and gained a ton for Digby as well...then I got about 3 tickets which i think was our combined total.

Has anyone discovered some of the other costumes? I know Digby gets the Rainjacket on Lv 2, what about the other characters. I think the other thing we were wondering is if any of the special items (like the Nintendo stuff, Monster Hunter and 7-11 stuff) shows up in villager interiors on the board game. If anyone happens to be able to take some screenshots or let us know that'd be rad.

AntMurda

Does the game have an ending sequence? Like is there a main mode to beat where you get a credits screen and game finish?

Does the game have an ending sequence? Like is there a main mode to beat where you get a credits screen and game finish?

Doesn't look like it. I unlocked all the games and the only thing I noticed was that small cabana tables/chairs were added to the main plaza and fireworks start appearing in the far back. I think the tune changed a bit as well.

I dont even think there's a credits menu available anywhere actually!

My first impressions are:

• Board game mode feels like a more competitive Candy Land.
  • Acorn Chase and Quiz Show is mad hard.
  • Desert Island Escape is as good as people have said.

WVW69ik0eyEzk9idX4

Renewed

Played a round today where I had about 150 happiness and 50000+ bells. Rolled a negative space that took all of my bells and put me in last place on the second last day.... next roll gave me 20000 on a positive spot. This game....

You can't even be mad at anyone for that, since they don't have control over that unlike Mario Party. So much salt...

finch

Finally got to play with a group of friends last night and enjoyed it despite it being very random. Everything was close until the last few days when one of my friends landed a money tree and then kept getting high value insects and fish. I know it's not a game for adults, but i wish it was just a little more complex. I was thinking it would be Fortune Street jr. but it's not like that at all. It's also a little weird how everything is locked away. It seems like you have to put some time into it to get everything.
I'm expecting around 5 or 6s from review sites if they're feeling kind. Like I said, I enjoy it, but I really like Animal Crossing characters and it's a nice game to just chill out with. It's just not a game made with reviewers or even most adults in mind. I fail to see how it's going to harm the brand unless you're just wildly buying Animal Crossing products, expecting them all to be a full-fledged main entry without investigating what you're actually getting. It's a board game with Animal Crossing characters. Mario has quite a few of those. HHD has gotten way too much hate too. It's expected, just disproportionately angry to what's actually being released.
I dothink it would be a better value at $35 including the amiibo, but Amazon gave me so many discounts and refunds afterwards it ended up being very close to my ideal price :p

Does this have interactivity with Happy Home Designer? I read everyone's posts but didn't see any mention, maybe i just missed it. For some reason I thought you could transport houses from HHD to amiibo Festival.

Rodin

Nintendolife preview. Looks very fun, should be a blast to play during Christmas with family and friends. A couple of modes actually really raised my interest, particularly Desert Island Escape and Balloon Island (which they compare to Monkey Island's Monkey Target :D).

Played a round today where I had about 150 happiness and 50000+ bells. Rolled a negative space that took all of my bells and put me in last place on the second last day.... next roll gave me 20000 on a positive spot. This game....

You can't even be mad at anyone for that, since they don't have control over that unlike Mario Party. So much salt...

I've found the board game money to be absolutely bonkers. My first time playing I had 18,000 bells near the end. the CPU ran into me and it swapped our money (they had 800 some bells). Such a huge difference and I could never recover from it (i still won the round though)

Yesterday I was playing a two person game and my "main" (Digby) was losing to the other character I was playing with. I thought I would end up losing to myself because I was in negatives throughout the end of the month, but then I landed on a money spot on the last day and got 90,000 bells and pulled a win out of my ass basically. It was kind of incredible. I think when playing with friends, it might be really hilarious.

Does this have interactivity with Happy Home Designer? I read everyone's posts but didn't see any mention, maybe i just missed it. For some reason I thought you could transport houses from HHD to amiibo Festival.

After completing two rounds on the board game, you can edit the houses that show up on the board. Select the Board game mode and on the gamepad you'll see a little Leaf/house icon. Tap that and it'll take you to the board where Llyoid will talk to you about scanning in amiibo cards. You've got a total of...8 houses I think, 3 of which are the Rosie, Goldie and Stitches but you can boot them out. If a space has some event with a villager, it'll show the inside of the house.

So the board game is nothing like Fortune Street?

I've never played the game, but from what I understand of it, not really because absolutely everything is completely random.

Everyone who keeps saying how strategic desert island escape is, can you explain why? Based on that 10 minute full playthrough video, it doesn't seem to matter what you do - the game will eventually randomly give you the 3 sticks and the sail necessary to escape just from moving from square to square. So why does it matter if the characters have different skills?

Everyone who keeps saying how strategic desert island escape is, can you explain why? Based on that 10 minute full playthrough video, it doesn't seem to matter what you do - the game will eventually randomly give you the 3 sticks and the sail necessary to escape just from moving from square to square. So why does it matter if the characters have different skills?
There's a limit of 7 days (so 7 turns over the 3 characters). Harder difficulties have more days but more area to discover.

You can't just brute force into it and get the 4 items, you have to explore and utilize the time to not only find the items but also to grab other supplies to build tools to help you, as well as gaining food supplies so you can survive. With characters having different abilities, an extra layer is added. If there's water and areas you can't reach on land, would it be better to have that character on your team, or use another one that can easily find food, or that can get fish without a rod etc etc.

The items appear to be randomly scattered over the island but its not like you're gonna move 4 spaces and find them all nearby. Plus you have to deal with random events like enemy attacks and pitfalls which can stop your character's movement turn and even take away their turn the next day.

Sami+

I'm cool with it not being a real Animal Crossing game I just wish the board game was actually fun lol.

Blues1990

Desert Island Escape & Acorn Chase are my favourite game modes in Amiibo Party. I wasn't expecting Acorn Chase to be so difficult, and Desert Island Escape (short for DIE) was quite engaging on the harder difficulty settings.

Balloon Island is alright, but pretty boring. Fruit Path was just as boring, and I don't know how Resetti Bop works. I haven't unlocked Mystery Campers or Card Battle yet, but I'll post impressions as soon as I unlock them. The Quiz Show mini game is great for farming points to unlock stuff (I can always get 80-200 points per round), and already I have unlocked several special spaces on the main game board.

fernoca

From what I can tell, the easiest way to get happy points to expedite your opening of all attractions:

- Play the balloon game, one player and just use the same card. If you're pretty decent with it, you can get like 200 points in about 10 games or so. And they go by fast so it's not really a huge wait time.

-If you have the time, as bulletbill mentioned, you can play as two players and use the isabelle and digby (or...i guess if you have more, any two is fine lol) and quickly knock out a full game in around 45 minutes. I was able to nearly level up Isabelle to Lv 2 in just the one game and gained a ton for Digby as well...then I got about 3 tickets which i think was our combined total.

Has anyone discovered some of the other costumes? I know Digby gets the Rainjacket on Lv 2, what about the other characters. I think the other thing we were wondering is if any of the special items (like the Nintendo stuff, Monster Hunter and 7-11 stuff) shows up in villager interiors on the board game. If anyone happens to be able to take some screenshots or let us know that'd be rad.
Quoting this to try later.

I kinda like how everything is...random. As long as I'm not involved! :p

Played a round earlier and nearly at the end I was second, while "Boy 1" was close in Bells along 80k bells and spent them all in like 700 turnips.

Then, bitch fell into one of Joan's spaces and Joan was like "oh, sorry the turnips I sold you were rotten, my bad". Removed the turnips and didn't gave the money back. I just couldn't stop lsughing...and won!

I just unlocked Tom Nook's third outfit, and it was exactly what I wanted it to be! There are still a bunch more costumes left now, and I don't know what they will be from this point out.

bumpkin

I just unlocked Tom Nook's third outfit, and it was exactly what I wanted it to be! There are still a bunch more costumes left now, and I don't know what they will be from this point out.
How do you change a character's costume?

So scanning the cards adds characters to the hub. Does it add anything to the board game like new special spaces or stuff like that too?

How do you change a character's costume?

So scanning the cards adds characters to the hub. Does it add anything to the board game like new special spaces or stuff like that too?

When you start the board game there will be a button to press after you scan the character in. It will let you cycle through unlocked outfits.

Scanning new characters into your town just makes it so more people show up in cut-scenes and the like. It really just adds atmosphere. But you need to play 3 games before you can do that (I think).

Sora_N

Just got this game in the mail, kind of nice to have this cheer me up after a really really shitty day.

Don't have much time to play though.

balohna

I kind of want to pick this up to make sure I actually get it with the amiibos/cards before they downgrade the SKU, but it's so expensive and I don't want the game THAT badly really. Hmm...

hazukash

I have a question about amiibo cards. They apparently unlock minigames, but how are they unlocked? How many of these cards do you need to unlock them all and have a complete game? I've been reading how 6 cards are required in a certain minigame, but I don't understand how they unlock content.

Blues1990

I have a question about amiibo cards. They apparently unlock minigames, but how are they unlocked? How many of these cards do you need to unlock them all and have a complete game? I've been reading how 6 cards are required in a certain minigame, but I don't understand how they unlock content.

You use the amiibo cards to play as certain characters in the mini games, not unlock them. In order to unlock the mini games, you have to earn up to 100 happy points to get a happy card. Certain mini games have an unlock requirement, which are usually 3-5 in-game cards. You also unlock different buildings and areas in the board game portion of Amiibo Festival with the happy cards, which, again, require 3-5 in-game happy cards.

ngower

Reviews trickling in. The first three Metacritic reviews averaging a 3.4 out of 10. Lots of people saying the same things: pretty game, great amiibo, but almost zero substance. What have they done to you, my sweet prince?

Sora_N

Reviews trickling in. The first three Metacritic reviews averaging a 3.4 out of 10. Lots of people saying the same things: pretty game, great amiibo, but almost zero substance. What have they done to you, my sweet prince?

I expected this but I love AC so its OK. I got 30% off the game anyways.

fernoca

In general, it is not a bad spinoff. I'vr been enjoying it as a board game to relax and have some fun after work. But it definetely starts in a relatively ...boring way.

Like you put the game, you're thrown into a tutorial, no menu or options or anything. Fine, 45 minutes at least. Then, you're just sent to choose the board game again but now you can change months. Again, no menu, no message that you unlock stuff as you play. Okay, an additional 45 minutes.

Then you're finally thrown into the hub, only to find out that you have to unlock the rest of the games. Then the use of cards, or how you can change the other Villager names by using the Villager amiibo and other things you unlock.

So, a casual person jumping onto this is not going to play nearly 2 hours of a relatively boring mode, to find out that there are more things as you play.

Heck, most will play the second time, find out there wasn't any menu or anything to use the cards, no extra modes and just quit and assume that's the entirety of it. It causes a bad first impression.

I still enjoy everything about it. Even when I know the board game will be a bit boring to my friends, I love the look and charm of it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm glad to hear there is more content, as we've only sat down for one game so far, but it is a really terrible first time user experience. Sleep inducing at best. I have fairly low expectations going forward so anything nice I can find in the next few hours of gameplay will be great. If it remains the same, this will probably be a quick flip to EBgames / Best Buy and I'll just attribute it to the cost of Amiibo. :/

Sora_N

I'm glad to hear there is more content, as we've only sat down for one game so far, but it is a really terrible first time user experience. Sleep inducing at best. I have fairly low expectations going forward so anything nice I can find in the next few hours of gameplay will be great. If it remains the same, this will probably be a quick flip to EBgames / Best Buy and I'll just attribute it to the cost of Amiibo. :/

I just started my first game, can't really stand it. I just want to unlock the non-board game. It's kind of boring lol.

I don't have other players / bought for the Amiibos mainly...

EDIT: The minigame is fun so far, the balloon game is pretty decent except I suck at it lol.

Is this game playable just using cards? I really don't want to unpackage the amiibos that come with this.
Nope "At least one Animal Crossing amiibo figure is required to play the Animal Crossing Board Game attraction". Villager doesn't count as an Animal Crossing amiibo figure (but it unlocks a costume or something).

This is a bit disappointing as I really expected that an Isabelle card (for example) would work as a substitute for the amiibo here (it seems like the figures work in HHD the same way the special cards do so you would expect vice-versa...on the other hand that would make the special cards superior not only from cost but also having the numbers and rock paper scissors stuff).

Chopper

Nope "At least one Animal Crossing amiibo figure is required to play the Animal Crossing Board Game attraction". Villager doesn't count as an Animal Crossing amiibo figure (but it unlocks a costume or something).

This is a bit disappointing as I really expected that an Isabelle card (for example) would work as a substitute for the amiibo here (it seems like the figures work in HHD the same way the special cards do so you would expect vice-versa...on the other hand that would make the special cards superior not only from cost but also having the numbers and rock paper scissors stuff).
That is ridiculous.

fernoca

That is ridiculous.

Can't even get past the title screen without an Animal Crossing amiibo.

Y'all should go watch the Giant Bomb stream. Schadenfreude for all.
But Chopper bought a game bundled with amiibo, that recquires amiibo to play, but doesn't want to take the amiibo out of the package. :p

In any case, is not like it's some sealed package. And Chopper doesn't seem to want to preserve everything sealed, considering that he wants to open it and the cards. Both amiibo are inside a plastic-cube thingie, inside the box with the game; that can be open and closed at will. So if it's for display along the box, the amiibo can be taken out, used for the game, then put back on it. ;)

Chopper

But Chopper bought a game bundled with amiibo, that recquires amiibo to play, but doesn't want to take the amiibo out of the package. :p

In any case, is not like it's some sealed package. And Chopper doesn't seem to want to preserve everything sealed, considering that he wants to open it and the cards. Both amiibo are inside a plastic-cube thingie, inside the box with the game; that can be open and closed at will. So if it's for display along the box, the amiibo can be taken out, used for the game, then put back on it. ;)
I know, I know. I want dem amiibos.

What I find ridiculous is the arbitrary rejection of the equivalent Isabelle, Digby etc. cards as viable alternatives. That's just mean.

Top Bottom