• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Mafia |OT| - Making Animal Friends Is Awesome!

I know this is going to come off as a dick move, but I think we need to start pressuring people to get information like we did with the roomies on day 1. Freakzilla seems like a good candidate, if only to get him more active in the thread.

Razmos

If it helps, I've already used my action on the first day on Timeaisis. Which he can either confirm or deny (if he denies it, then I know he's out to get me, one way or another)

It doesn't quite confirm my claim about some actions being limited (mine certainly is) but it's at least evidence that I have only used it on a neighbour one square away.

I wasn't trying to deceive or lie, and I knew that claiming any sort of role or knowledge of game mechanics would make me suspicious, but I thought the information was relevant.

But like I said when I revealed this, certain other players have claimed to have actions which are not limited in such a way, such as Ultron, or at least have not mentioned that they are limited.

I could be wrong and be the only player with a limited action, but I thought the info was worth putting out there either way.

SalvaPot

If it helps, I've already used my action on the first day on Timeaisis. Which he can either confirm or deny (if he denies it, then I know he's out to get me, one way or another)

It doesn't quite confirm my claim about some actions being limited (mine certainly is) but it's at least evidence that I have only used it on a neighbour one square away.

I wasn't trying to deceive or lie, and I knew that claiming any sort of role or knowledge of game mechanics would make me suspicious, but I thought the information was relevant.

But like I said when I revealed this, certain other players have claimed to have actions which are not limited in such a way, such as Ultron, or at least have not mentioned that they are limited.

I could be wrong and be the only player with a limited action, but I thought the info was worth putting out there either way.

...so what did you do? Why would he deny it? If you go and die its pretty much the same as you just telling us now. Unless, of course, Timeaisis tells us what you did.

Darryl

Banned
freakzilla149 (My notes mention Post 249, don't remember what it is.)
21GunShow (Inactivity, unlikely to be mafia since you would presume HHA would be active)
SmokinGunZ1981 (Same as above)

Of course these people lean towards the inactive side of the scales but freakzilla149 is the one that I'm the most curious about. What I'm thinking right now is that the HHA might be the somewhat active but not regular posters in the thread.

Freakzilla is both near an anomaly (bridge) and towards the center, so it meets my minimum "this is who we should have started with" requirements. In terms of acting suspicious, Mazre. He went from accusatory to sitting on the sidelines pretty quick. In terms of thinking strategically with the map and with last nights results, the roomies. They were already suspicious and the odds have only gone up since they were passed on an eviction last night. If it was two clean roomies (one with a role?) they would have been gone in a heartbeat and with plenty of people already pointing their fingers there it probably would have gone pretty clean.

Razmos

...so what did you do? Why would he deny it? If you go and die its pretty much the same as you just telling us now. Unless, of course, Timeaisis tells us what you did.
I'm a town gossip, I have a private chat that I can invite my neighbours too, and we can only speak during nights.

The point of me saying that was to point out that my ability is a harmless one, and Timeaisis confirming I'd used it on him would prove that. If he denied it, it would throw suspicion on me and make it look like I'm lying, since he's the only witness I have.

ultron87

Freakzilla is both near an anomaly (bridge) and towards the center, so it meets my minimum "this is who we should have started with" requirements. In terms of acting suspicious, Mazre. He went from accusatory to sitting on the sidelines pretty quick. In terms of thinking strategically with the map and with last nights results, the roomies. They were already suspicious and the odds have only gone up since they were passed on an eviction last night. If it was two clean roomies (one with a role?) they would have been gone in a heartbeat and with plenty of people already pointing their fingers there it probably would have gone pretty clean.

We were the biggest points of contention yesterday. Multiple roles probably looked at us over the night. The bad guys would've known this. The possibility of their kill getting wasted due to us getting saved or the killer getting found out by an investigator style role having their eyes on us would be very high. So killing someone else instead of the most obvious target makes a lot of sense.

Or my roommate is a bad guy. I really have no idea.

SalvaPot

Works for me, Freakzilla seems like the best choice so far and he has yet to speak up. Lets get started then:

VOTE: freakzilla149

SalvaPot

I'm a town gossip, I have a private chat that I can invite my neighbours too, and we can only speak during nights.

The point of me saying that was to point out that my ability is a harmless one, and Timeaisis confirming I'd used it on him would prove that. If he denied it, it would throw suspicion on me and make it look like I'm lying, since he's the only witness I have.

That is an interesting role and, honestly, HHA wins nothing by killing you off, since they can also get invited to those conversations to avoid suspicion.

Alternatively, the HHA could have guessed that they'd be protected tonight and went for a safer target. Or a third party evicted Tucah and ultron/franconp were targeted by the HHA and were actually protected.

I mean I'm happy to evict them at some point when it looks a bit more likely that one of them is HHA, but right now it's too early to lose 2 potentially good guys in one fell swoop.

Razmos

Alternatively, the HHA could have guessed that they'd be protected tonight and went for a safer target. Or a third party evicted Tucah and ultron/franconp were targeted by the HHA and were actually protected.

I mean I'm happy to evict them at some point when it looks a bit more likely that one of them is HHA, but right now it's too early to lose 2 potentially good guys in one fell swoop.

That is an interesting role and, honestly, HHA wins nothing by killing you off, since they can also get invited to those conversations to avoid suspicion.
Indeed, but as I previously mentioned, the range of my ability is my neighbours. And now that it looks like we cant move location, my role seems even more limited.

Indeed, but as I previously mentioned, the range of my ability is my neighbours. And now that it looks like we cant move location, my role seems even more limited.

Hmm.

Up, down and left, correct?

I imagine then that there might be something about Time, Darryl or Hobohodo then, since the role spaces were all planned out. Otherwise what's the point?

Darryl

Banned

We were the biggest points of contention yesterday. Multiple roles probably looked at us over the night. The bad guys would've known this. The possibility of their kill getting wasted due to us getting saved or the killer getting found out by an investigator style role having their eyes on us would be very high. So killing someone else instead of the most obvious target makes a lot of sense.

Or my roommate is a bad guy. I really have no idea.

Right, I forget possibilities like that exist. I don't know a whole lot about the protecting/investigating. I guess I just didn't want them off the hook.

VOTE: freakzilla149

Coppanuva

Hmm.

Up, down and left, correct?

I imagine then that there might be something about Time, Darryl or Hobohodo then, since the role spaces were all planned out. Otherwise what's the point?

I'm in favor of this theory so far. I'm also somewhat suspicious about Timeaisis not saying he was in the talk though, it casts a lot of doubt. I'd like to wait another night for Ramzos to talk to a different neighbor, and get some collaborating evidence to see what's going on.

Timeaisis

I can confirm this.

Funny thought I just had about the housemates - if one of them is HHA, couldn't the game theoretically end in a stalemate? I kind of want that to happen now.

Timeaisis

I'm mostly in agreement with this. I think the HHA should've gone for the roomies last night if they are both indeed town, but they may have been protected (it's actually pretty likely that they were). That leaves us with Tucah, the role that was killed.

I think it's pretty safe to assume, given the large scale of the game, there are multiple ways HHA can evict.

For the sake of argument, let's assume we have two:
1) one standard mafia "vote" where they evict anyone they want at night (regardless of position)
2) a targeted role, i.e. one member of the HHA can target a particular person and evict them.

I realize that we are operating under the assumption that role #2 has the power to only target neighbors adjacent to him or her, but to me, that role sounds almost useless. I hate to be metagaming, but the nature of the map system kind of forces us to do so. If Tucah was indeed evicted, and it was done so by an HHA that has to be adjacent to him or her, then I can understand the suspicion of freakzilla. However, freakzilla is only adjacent to two players, meaning that he'd only be able to use his power two times, and only on those two people. Essentially, his power guarantees free kills on those two players and them he becomes useless. This doesn't seem like a useful role, to me.

I think it's much more likely that the HHA has a role that can evict, but perhaps only a certain total number of times, and can use them sparingly. Also, I think it's likely that the HHA thought the roommates would be protected, so they instead evicted someone randomly: a typical mafia strategy on day 1.

I think there are a number of possibilities for what went down last night, but I'll outline what I think are most likely:

P1 - The Roomies have at least one HHA

This would easily explain why they were not targeted. This also doesn't really give us much information on who's HHA, except that Tucah may have been targeted by someone nearby? Honestly, this conclusion feels pretty weak to me.
This situation implies HHA does not a power kill role, or that their power kill role (if they have one) is limited in use.

P2 - The roomies are both Town but the HHA thought they'd be protected

The HHA perhaps thought that the roomies would be protected, so they made a random hit on Tucah. This would likely mean that either the HHA don't have a power role that can kill, or that power role is limited in use or days.

P3 - The roomies are both Town, the HHA hit them, but they were protected
This would mean that a) someone protected the roomies, and b) there is another mafia kill role (which is likely at this point). This probably leads the most creedence to freakzilla being HHA, but not much. It seems like he is cast as suspicious mostly because of his location to the victim.

I don't think any of these contain a good argument on why the HHA would have a targeted kill role that depends on proximity, but there you have it.

Personally, I think P2 is the most likely of what happened, but also possibly that one of the roomies is HHA.

Karkador

Banned
Clock bells chime in the distance

CURRENT PHASE

CoaYsLF.png

Current Votes for this Round (12 needed for majority)
(a strike means the player voted for, then unvoted, the player)

LaunchPadMcQ (0)
HippieHobo

freakzilla149 (2)
SalvaPot
Darryl

Time Left Until Day 2 Ends
t1432224000z1.png

Kalor

One thing that has struck me as odd is that 6 minutes after I mentioned that 21GunShow stuck out to me, they posted saying they were a regular villager. This was the first time that they had posted since the 14th. This could be a completely irrelevant piece of information but it at least shows that seem to regularly check the thread without posting.

I'm willing to vote for freakzilla but I want to see what they post in response first.

franconp

I'm mostly in agreement with this. I think the HHA should've gone for the roomies last night if they are both indeed town, but they may have been protected (it's actually pretty likely that they were). That leaves us with Tucah, the role that was killed.

I think it's pretty safe to assume, given the large scale of the game, there are multiple ways HHA can evict.

1) one standard mafia "vote" where they evict anyone they want at night (regardless of position)
2) a targeted role, i.e. one member of the HHA can target a particular person and evict them.

I realize that we are operating under the assumption that role #2 has the power to only target neighbors adjacent to him or her, but to me, that role sounds almost useless. I hate to be metagaming, but the nature of the map system kind of forces us to do so. If Tucah was indeed evicted, and it was done so by an HHA that has to be adjacent to him or her, then I can understand the suspicion of freakzilla. However, freakzilla is only adjacent to two players, meaning that he'd only be able to use his power two times, and only on those two people. Essentially, his power guarantees free kills on those two players and them he becomes useless. This doesn't seem like a useful role, to me.

I think it's much more likely that the HHA has a role that can evict, but perhaps only a certain total number of times, and can use them sparingly. Also, I think it's likely that the HHA thought the roommates would be protected, so they instead evicted someone randomly: a typical mafia strategy on day 1.

I think there are a number of possibilities for what went down last night, but I'll outline what I think are most likely:

This would easily explain why they were not targeted. This also doesn't really give us much information on who's HHA, except that Tucah may have been targeted by someone nearby? Honestly, this conclusion feels pretty weak to me.
This situation implies HHA does not a power kill role, or that their power kill role (if they have one) is limited in use.

The HHA perhaps thought that the roomies would be protected, so they made a random hit on Tucah. This would likely mean that either the HHA don't have a power role that can kill, or that power role is limited in use or days.

This would mean that a) someone protected the roomies, and b) there is another mafia kill role (which is likely at this point). This probably leads the most creedence to freakzilla being HHA, but not much. It seems like he is cast as suspicious mostly because of his location to the victim.

I don't think any of these contain a good argument on why the HHA would have a targeted kill role that depends on proximity, but there you have it.

Personally, I think P2 is the most likely of what happened, but also possibly that one of the roomies is HHA.

As I said before:

P4 - There is a someone who can switch players and used is role on us switching with Tucah

In this case the HHA would only have one hit but we were protected by the switcher. I don't have any clue that this indeed hapened, but it's one of the posibilities.

SalvaPot

One thing that has struck me as odd is that 6 minutes after I mentioned that 21GunShow stuck out to me, they posted saying they were a regular villager. This was the first time that they had posted since the 14th. This could be a completely irrelevant piece of information but it at least shows that seem to regularly check the thread without posting.

I'm willing to vote for freakzilla but I want to see what they post in response first.

Yeah, I noticed this too but I think this is a lead we can follow up on later, but its nice to keep in on the notes.

I'm hesitant to chime in because it'll seem like bandwagoning, and especially since I'm not sure any of what's been said is indicative of anything certain, but I agree with this choice on the basis I stated before, which is to press him.

freakzilla149

Aaah, now it feels like a game.

I have a hunch it might be 2, not based on much though. For 3, we have no idea if there's a neutral role or a switcher. For 1...I dunno, it seems too obvious? Occam's Razor and that, but I dunno. Given we know that houses have specific roles in each position and who lives there was randomly assigned, rather than just 100% random, it doesn't take a whole lot of brainpower to go "Well if there are 2 villagers, they'll die on the first night, if they don't there must be at least 1 HHA", which I feel would tip things too much in our favour.

I realise this is metagame, but it's not something we can just ignore in this setup really.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why would a switcher target Tucah? There were plenty of suspicious people on day one, myself included.

No, Tucah's eviction is consistent with an intelligent HHA. Otherwise we have to assume that the switcher is very erratic and random.

Mazre

Day 2 Post counts so far (~1 day realtime)

Did a hand count of the day two posts (please check my works as mistakes are certainly possible), will probably start snapshotting post counts via forum tool at end of day so it's easier to determine the counts.

Haly 6
Kalor 4
KingKitty 9
salvapot 7
Darryl 6
RobotNinjaHornets 10
Mazre 2
Hobohodo 3
Razmos 4
Tomakasatnav 5
Tucah N/A
freakzilla149 0
Timeaisis 4
Ourobolous 3
Foshy 3
franconp 2
ultron87 1
21GunShow 1
SmokingGunZ1981 0
nin1000 2
Coppanuva 4
LaunchpadMcQ 19
Hippiehobo 17

Timeaisis

Aaah, now it feels like a game.

I have a hunch it might be 2, not based on much though. For 3, we have no idea if there's a neutral role or a switcher. For 1...I dunno, it seems too obvious? Occam's Razor and that, but I dunno. Given we know that houses have specific roles in each position and who lives there was randomly assigned, rather than just 100% random, it doesn't take a whole lot of brainpower to go "Well if there are 2 villagers, they'll die on the first night, if they don't there must be at least 1 HHA", which I feel would tip things too much in our favour.

I realise this is metagame, but it's not something we can just ignore in this setup really.

:)

But, yeah, I think I'm mostly in agreement there.

Mazre

Some thoughts on voting out low activity players:

Pros
-They're low activity so even if they are town we potentially minimize loss, role or not.
-Presses other inactives (town or HHA) to be more involved

Cons
-The HHA appears to have displayed some consideration with their choice of Tucah. Are they going to trip up by displaying absolutely minimal/no activity?
-Feels like a conservative option, barely a step above a no evict vote

Curious about everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Darryl

Banned

Pros
-They're low activity so even if they are town we potentially minimize loss, role or not.

Cons
-The HHA appears to have displayed some consideration with their choice of Tucah. Are they going to trip up by displaying absolutely minimal/no activity?

You tried to throw me in the spotlight the moment the gates opened before I even got to post for being inactive so it's funny seeing you call it barely a step above a no evict. You started this rolling ball.

Haly

Funny thought I just had about the housemates - if one of them is HHA, couldn't the game theoretically end in a stalemate? I kind of want that to happen now.
In rulesets where the pair mechanic, known as [The Lovers] exists, they have a special victory condition where they win if they're the only ones left.

For people who were Mafia last game, were you allowed to PM each other during day phases? I want to make sure that we can take what we're seeing in this thread at face value or if HHA members can potentially coach each other through PMs. Razmos' ability makes me think that the HHA doesn't have free communication during the day time but I want to double check.

Hobohodo

Pros

Cons

I feel that we should only consider an inactive if we are reaching the end of the phase and are lacking any direction, as we can probably all agree that a No Evict vote can't happen again. If the player that's chosen has a role known to others as well then we may gain some info based on how everyone votes. Prodding inactives always has the plus of getting more people in the talk discussing things as well, and has been said before an active game is a good game.

In rulesets where the pair mechanic, known as [The Lovers] exists, they have a special victory condition where they win if they're the only ones left.

For people who were Mafia last game, were you allowed to PM each other during day phases? I want to make sure that we can take what we're seeing in this thread at face value or if HHA members can potentially coach each other through PMs. Razmos' ability makes me think that the HHA doesn't have free communication during the day time but I want to double check.

AKA me.

We had our own single thread forum thing, with no restrictions. They're probably all laughing at us now, the bastards.

Haly

That throws a wrench in things. I want to believe that I can believe people but it's totally possible it's all one guy telling everyone else what to say. Behavior that looks suspiciously erratic just might be someone being erratic because I can't imagine HHA letting people give stuff away with their craziness.

I know this is going to come off as a dick move, but I think we need to start pressuring people to get information like we did with the roomies on day 1. Freakzilla seems like a good candidate, if only to get him more active in the thread.

Oh, I'm so sorry. What would you like to know?. Am I a member of the mafia? Yes, and you're going to die tonight.\

Edit: lol, looks like everyone's made their mind up. OH WELL

Mazre

You tried to throw me in the spotlight the moment the gates opened before I even got to post for being inactive so it's funny seeing you call it barely a step above a no evict. You started this rolling ball.

Huh, had completely forgotten that I had specified you earlier. Still as the post states I was simply stating at the time my thoughts on day 1 about our best options for eviction. Obviously on day 1 we were incredibly limited in what we could work off of. You may also note that I recommended holding off action until you had an opportunity to respond, and have not mentioned you since that time.

The fact that I pointed the option out in no way indicated that I felt then or now that it was a good option. Unfortunately, at times all we have are least bad options.

Kevyt

So special abilities, huh?

Keh heh heh heh.

Hmm, care to elaborate? Why do you think he is a mistake?

I don't know, I just that think that HHA would be inactive, if anything they would be highly active.

Pros

Cons

My thoughts exactly. They pre-meditated their choice to evict Tucah, and displaying minimal activity from their part seems unlikely.

AKA me.

We had our own single thread forum thing, with no restrictions. They're probably all laughing at us now, the bastards.

Plot twist; what if they didn't evict Tucah? What if there's a third party involved? Could this possible? o:

Mazre

Oh, I'm so sorry. What would you like to know?. Am I a member of the mafia? Yes, and you're going to die tonight.\

VOTE: LaunchpadMcQ

Remember, no editing.

Also 3 votes is hardly everyone. Though you are acting extremely erratic at the moment. If your post was made in sarcasm, please remember that doesn't always translate well in text.

Kevyt

Exposed! So you're mafia! Tell us who you are working with! :p

Or are you joking?

Hm, you're mafia eh? Cool. Any knowledge on who may be a member of the HHA?

Plot twist; what if they didn't evict Tucah? What if there's a third party involved? Could this possible? o:

Yup, Karkador was one last game. Also see: P3 in Timeaisis' post

Kevyt

Hm, you're mafia eh? Cool. Any knowledge on who may be a member of the HHA?

Yup, Karkador was one last game. Also see: P3 in Timeaisis' post

I saw it, so we can't even trust Karkador. I know he's the moderator, but I'm suspicious about him know. He could abuse his power.

Exactly, playing the wolf is so much more interesting. TBH I was a bit disappointed not to get any special powers. Hence my reluctance to post. Plus my night time post...

So you are giving yourself away? You are mafia, yes or no?

Timeaisis

We're a little early in the game to start pressuring people with random votes, I think.

Why choose freakzilla? Because he lives next door?

Kevyt

Exactly, playing the wolf is so much more interesting. TBH I was a bit disappointed not to get any special powers. Hence my reluctance to post. Plus my night time post...

This?

-------->

Fuck your rules, I'm Tom Nook!*

RlB2jzx.png

*Not actually Tom Nook. I just wanted to revenge ghost after last session. Boo!

Well. looks like I know who I'm voting for next.

------------------------------------------------

More active is more liable to make mistakes though. None of us in the last game were the most active and it let us ride out a fair amount of the game unchallenged.

That's interesting. So if the mafia has their own thread, they don't really need to be very active here, because as you said, they could make mistakes. Let's look at the least active players then.

Haly

People are making the assumption that there is a range component to HHA abilities even if their kill powers are likely map wide for balance reasons.

Suspicion immediately fell on Foshy (who checked in), freak and toma (who also checked in).

Top Bottom