• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Mafia |OT| - Making Animal Friends Is Awesome!

Kevyt

dat image link bahahahaha

Razmos said his role had a range, so it's definitely an element to the game unless he said that to misdirect us completely. However, it makes the most sense. Plus, I would think it makes more sense that there are at least one or two HHA members with special abilities, if not all of them if there are 4 members like we're speculating. Since we don't know much about what happened last night, I would think it's because it was one of their abilities that hid it.

Haly's position is weird. I can't find a good position anywhere around him where an HHA with a ranged ability would be able to get him and a good amount of other players. The reverse is even more true.

I totally welcome suspicion. I already said I'm a regular ol' villager, but that gives me absolutely no evidence to prove it since I can't talk about any supposed abilities. You can't really trust anyone, after all.

The standard eviction can't be range-based, because if you remove one of the HHA from a part of the map, they lose the ability to evict anyone in that range. A range for special abilities only makes more sense.

All HHA members have to know who the other HHA members are because their evictions are coordinated. They discuss and pick out a citizen. At least, I'm assuming that's how it works if it works like regular mafia in that respect. They can't target one of their own unless that player was purposely separated from them.

This is all very helpful, thanks!

And I'm sorry but... I've had my eyes on you for a while, so...

Vote: LaunchpadMcQ [/HIGLIGHT]

For now...

Hahaha. Oh Hobo.

Well, I guess this is what I get for talking so damn much. I don't have anything to prove that I'm not an HHA. I don't have any powers or anything or any heavy explanations I can give. Is there any information I could provide that may relieve some of your suspicions?

Kevyt

You've been consistent saying that you're just a regular townie with no special effects or abilities. I'll give you that. But you also went from no eviction on day 1 to eviction and back and forth.

You do post a lot and that's the bulk of my suspicion. There's a 1 in 22 of a chance you're a HHA, and like I said for now, I'm very suspicious based on your activity.

kingkitty

My gut (which is accurate 45 percent of the time) tells me that LaunchpadMcQ is mafia.

HippieHobo could be mafia, purposely making mistakes to hide his stench. But ehh idk. Seems needlessly risky.

I'm gonna wait a day or two before I vote.

Kevyt

My gut (which is accurate 45 percent of the time) tells me that LaunchpadMcQ is mafia.

HippieHobo could be mafia, purposely making mistakes to hide his stench. But ehh idk. Seems needlessly risky.

I'm gonna wait a day or two before I vote.

The fact that I don't even know how the mafia operates and that this is my first mafia game should be pretty obvious I ain't. :p

Why would you wait for another day?

You've been consistent saying that you're just a regular townie with no special effects or abilities. I'll give you that. But you also went from no eviction on day 1 to eviction and back and forth.

You do post a lot and that's the bulk of my suspicion. There's a 1 in 22 of a chance you're a HHA, and like I said for now, I'm very suspicious based on your activity.

In my defense, most of us went through that flip-flopping, and I think we kind of had to to make sure that we covered all our bases. Even so, I think it was a mistake now to not have evicted anyone from the lack of information, and especially since what we're going to be basing this next eviction vote on is a lot of supposition and assumptions.

Well, honestly, the reason why I post so much and discuss so much is because it's all I really can do. Also, because I realize that discussing things with others is how we arrive to new conclusions.

err...I meant IS NOT mafia.

!!!

That was scary for a second there.

Why would you wait for another day?

He means another real-life day, to see if anything else comes loose before we have to vote again.

Honestly, I'm willing to gamble with Foshy or Freakzilla at this point. The fact that they don't have a voice in this thread is 90% of my suspicion, but I think that's certainly enough.

RNH, did you get anything?

Nada

Actually, I don't think that HHA members are equally distributed among the map or that their special abilities are affected by their position within the map. Or has this been the case before where a Mafia's special abilities have a limited range based on who they're surrounded by?

Else it makes sense, if that's the case. I can also rule out Haly then, because it wouldn't make sense to have a Mafia member on the map's corner, unless their distribution is random.

Now I'm really suspicious of Launchpad and Robotninja.

I don't think it's safe to rule out Haly, standard HHA evictions cannot be range based or else losing one of their members would make the game unwinnable for them.

Any reason you find me particularly suspicious over anyone else around the wrecked house? You just jealous my party had more sick jumps than yours? :p

Kevyt

Think like a Mafia member... so hmmm, it just occurred to me, based on Day 1 interaction, if I'm a Mafia member and I know who my team mates are, I would actively vote to evict during the day those who aren't. Actively seeking to convince others that voting to evict someone is the best course of action while regular townies would be hesitant of evicting someone, unsure that in the process they could evict one of their own.

This puts things into perspective now that I think about it. My suspicions are all over the place now.

Kevyt

Because evicting regular townies until there's none/fewer than Mafia members means winning, therefore assuming that all HHA know who they are, pointing fingers on Day 1 and eager to evict seems like a good move to pass on.

kingkitty

Think like a Mafia member... so hmmm, it just occurred to me, based on Day 1 interaction, if I'm a Mafia member and I know who my team mates are, I would actively vote to evict during the day those who aren't. Actively seeking to convince others that voting to evict someone is the best course of action while regular townies would be hesitant of evicting someone, unsure that in the process they could evict one of their own.

This puts things into perspective now that I think about it. My suspicions are all over the place now.

if i was mafia, I'd go with the flow regardless. Everyone votes to no-evict? okay I'll go with the flow. A no-eviction just means my group gets to shoot first.

everyone is pointing to one guy in particular to evict (and isn't mafia)? I'll vote with the crowd. One less innocent townie to worry about.

perhaps to avoid suspicion, one or two of the mafia will vote for someone else. But not so that it causes a tie to occur, just a few random votes here and there to avoid showing a pattern.

maybe one or two mafia member will vote no-evict, while the rest evict an innocent townie. Doesn't matter.

maybe one of my mafia members is about to get axed by the townies, so I'll vote with the townies to look legitimate. heck, maybe I know one of my mafia members made a huge mistake, so I'll initiate the attack. That'll make people trust me.

Because evicting regular townies until there's none/fewer than Mafia members means winning, therefore assuming that all HHA know who they are, pointing fingers on Day 1 and eager to evict seems like a good move to pass on.

Let's not forget that HHA could possibly feign concern for townies they're not affiliated with. It's kind of tenuous.

On the other hand, I find riding out the majority opinion is pretty suspicious as well. Considering the content of his posts and the proximity to the recently evicted, Ourobolus is also someone I have my eye on...

Kevyt

if i was mafia, I'd go with the flow regardless. Everyone votes to no-evict? okay I'll go with the flow. A no-eviction just means my group gets to shoot first.

everyone is pointing to one guy in particular to evict (and isn't mafia)? I'll vote with the crowd. One less innocent townie to worry about.

perhaps to avoid suspicion, one or two of the mafia will vote for someone else. But not so that it causes a tie to occur, just a few random votes here and there to avoid showing a pattern.

maybe one or two mafia member will vote no-evict, while the rest evict an innocent townie. Doesn't matter.

maybe one of my mafia members is about to get axed by the townies, so I'll vote with the townies to look legitimate. heck, maybe I know one of my mafia members made a huge mistake, so I'll initiate the attack. That'll make people trust me.

Those are also possibilities. I would also change from vote to no vote if I was a Mafia member to go with the flow. Coincidentally, this was the case with many here, which complicates things. They will blend in just nicely with everyone else but eventually their true colors will show.

I don't think it makes sense for a mafia member to evict one of their own considering they're outnumbered. Strength in numbers would be key, also what if that mafia member accused by suspecting townies has a special ability that HHA could later use? It makes no sense. Protecting your fellow HHA would be a priority too, when a suspected mafia is on the ropes. This is all just assumption.

Kevyt

In my defense, most of us went through that flip-flopping, and I think we kind of had to to make sure that we covered all our bases. Even so, I think it was a mistake now to not have evicted anyone from the lack of information, and especially since what we're going to be basing this next eviction vote on is a lot of supposition and assumptions.

Well, honestly, the reason why I post so much and discuss so much is because it's all I really can do. Also, because I realize that discussing things with others is how we arrive to new conclusions.

!!!

That was scary for a second there.

He means another real-life day, to see if anything else comes loose before we have to vote again.

Honestly, I'm willing to gamble with Foshy or Freakzilla at this point. The fact that they don't have a voice in this thread is 90% of my suspicion, but I think that's certainly enough.

Hmmm...

Nada

I don't think it's safe to rule out Haly, standard HHA evictions cannot be range based or else losing one of their members would make the game unwinnable for them.

Any reason you find me particularly suspicious over anyone else around the wrecked house? You just jealous my party had more sick jumps than yours? :p

But did your party had beer fountains? :p I doubt it.

I don't know, and you're right. I too am suspicious of Haly.

Let's not forget that HHA could possibly feign concern for townies they're not affiliated with. It's kind of tenuous.

On the other hand, I find riding out the majority opinion is pretty suspicious as well. Considering the content of his posts and the proximity to the recently evicted, Ourobolus is also someone I have my eye on...

So which one is it? Ourpbolos? Foshy, freak? Which one are you more suspicious of?

Guys, I'm an ordinary villager. Believe me. You're going to waste a turn on someone who's trying to help. :/

Do you pinky swear you're telling the truth and nothing more than the truth?

Darryl

Banned

As HippieHobo has made it clear just a bit ago, there are quite a lot of new people here. I'm new too - this is my first game. This was obvious from the start and I feel like it is being taken advantage of. I'm more wary of the people at the top then the bottom. Posting frequently and passionately as a way to win over the crowd opinion.

kingkitty

I don't think it makes sense for a mafia member to evict one of their own considering they're outnumbered. Strength in numbers would be key, also what if that mafia member accused by suspecting townies has a special ability that HHA could later use? It makes no sense. Protecting your fellow HHA would be a priority too, when a suspected mafia is on the ropes. This is all just assumption.

I don't think mafia would kill their own lightly.

But if they know one of their people is doomed (he/she made a big error, it looks a solid majority is going to evict him/her), it's best not to stick out like a sore thumb when the truth comes out.

If mafia destroys one of their own, it gives them the air of legitimacy. "hey that guy voted for mafia, he must be townie".

If a mafia member has to be thrown under the bus in order to save the butts of other mafia, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Karkador

Banned
I've started sending some prod PMs to players who have been inactive in the thread for over 72 hours. So far I've just sent one to Foshy, but I think SmokinGunz1981 is due for one, too. I won't be able to finish checking until later tonight.

Remember: A fun game of Mafia is an active game, so lets make sure to participate on a regular basis.

If you are going to be unavailable, or need to bail from the game, let me know and I'll make the proper arrangements.

As HippieHobo has made it clear just a bit ago, there are quite a lot of new people here. I'm new too - this is my first game. This was obvious from the start and I feel like it is being taken advantage of. I'm more wary of the people at the top then the bottom. Posting frequently and passionately as a way to win over the crowd opinion.

Posting more makes people more likely to make mistakes though. I don't doubt that at least a few of the less actives just don't have anything to post, but since everything that's said can be gone back to and scrutinised for the rest of the game I doubt any HHA would want to be overly active. Much easier that way, especially early game when noone really knows anything.

I don't think mafia would kill their own lightly.

But if they know one of their people is doomed (he/she made a big error, it looks a solid majority is going to evict him/her), it's best not to stick out like a sore thumb when the truth comes out.

If mafia destroys one of their own, it gives them the air of legitimacy. "hey that guy voted for mafia, he must be townie".

If a mafia member has to be thrown under the bus in order to save the butts of other mafia, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also this, my gambit with traube last game was a last resort when it looked like if one of us went down the other would immediately after. I attempted to gain some legitimacy for one of us since we were both heavily suspected and it was pretty much guaranteed one of us was dead. Didn't work out as planned, but it was a last ditch effort, wouldn't have done it if I could think of another way out.

Coppanuva

One possibility is that the range only impacts certain abilities. I've played a game where one of the werewolves made a noise if they were the closest werewolf to the killed. If this is a rule, then it may not be that neighboring parties to the deceased hear a sound, it could be something that's based on the position of the HHA members rather than the neighbor links.

That said, if anyone did hear any audio cues, or other information that might be useful to us figuring out how the game works start speaking up (I'd also like to stress again the importance of trying not to disclose any unique powers you may have, unless you think doing so at this time would be a good idea).

So which one is it? Ourpbolos? Foshy, freak? Which one are you more suspicious of?

Do you pinky swear you're telling the truth and nothing more than the truth?

I already said we should be looking at the people in Tucah's immediate proximity. That includes Ouro, Foshy, and Freak; plus Toma and RobotNinja, but they've had more involvement in the thread and I've gotten a good impression of who they are (or at least who they're pretending to be).

I will pinky swear to that effect if it convinces you. :s

Well, I may have overestimated that. There's also a large percentage of it that's the fact that they're so close to where Tucah was.

One possibility is that the range only impacts certain abilities. I've played a game where one of the werewolves made a noise if they were the closest werewolf to the killed. If this is a rule, then it may not be that neighboring parties to the deceased hear a sound, it could be something that's based on the position of the HHA members rather than the neighbor links.

That said, if anyone did hear any audio cues, or other information that might be useful to us figuring out how the game works start speaking up (I'd also like to stress again the importance of trying not to disclose any unique powers you may have, unless you think doing so at this time would be a good idea).

My concern is, Kark's report/narration on what happened is curious; it focuses entirely on the state of Tacuh's home after his eviction, or whatever actually happened overnight. If we're assuming that the HHA member who got Tacuh indeed has a silencing passive, we still don't know where a neighbor would hear the noise: at Tacuh's or near the HHA member's home.

Coppanuva

My concern is, Kark's report/narration on what happened is curious; it focuses entirely on the state of Tacuh's home after his eviction, or whatever actually happened overnight. If we're assuming that the HHA member who got Tacuh indeed has a silencing passive, we still don't know where a neighbor would hear the noise: at Tacuh's or near the HHA member's home.

That assumes that the noise is actually a mechanic and not just flavor text. I'd like some definite proof that noise is a mechanic before I jump into believing a silencing passive is at play (though if one is in effect, then we're essentially playing like sound isn't a factor, for the time being). Honestly, if nobody reports sound then I don't think it matters if the HHA has a silencing person or not, after all, if we knew someone on their side was a HHA member, we should evict them regardless of if they have the power or not.

Darryl

Banned
I already said we should be looking at the people in Tucah's immediate proximity. That includes Ouro, Foshy, and Freak; plus Toma and RobotNinja, but they've had more involvement in the thread and I've gotten a good impression of who they are (or at least who they're pretending to be).

Well, I may have overestimated that. There's also a large percentage of it that's the fact that they're so close to where Tucah was.

Why are they the targets? It doesn't make any sense that players can only evict nearby squares. The game would become unwinnable the moment a single HHA is out. If anything those squares are used for some kind of clue system. Let's evict the members who can get the most clues!

That assumes that the noise is actually a mechanic and not just flavor text. I'd like some definite proof that noise is a mechanic before I jump into believing a silencing passive is at play (though if one is in effect, then we're essentially playing like sound isn't a factor, for the time being). Honestly, if nobody reports sound then I don't think it matters if the HHA has a silencing person or not, after all, if we knew someone on their side was a HHA member, we should evict them regardless of if they have the power or not.

Ok, let's backtrack for a second. Our first assumption is that, if there only 2-4 HHA members, some or all of them should have a special ability. Special abilities may be ranged, or they may not be
(or Razmos was straight up lying, but this is the only sort of confirmation on what the geography of the map could play a factor in)

If all that's true, do we believe that a special ability was used in this eviction/murder?

My belief is that the reason Tacuh was chosen was because he fell into the range where a special ability could be used. If that's true, there would be something new or something missing from what a normal day phase would entail. Tacuh is the only thing missing, but so is any other kind of information as to who may have done this.

Also, take into consideration, when playing mafia in real-life, noise is a factor that we look for during the night phase.

Now, you raise a good point, that if there's an obvious HHA member we should single them out, regardless of proximity to Tacuh. But, we don't have that either. The most we have is assumptions and suppositions, most likely because of our inaction in the first day phase.

Why are they the targets? It doesn't make any sense that players can only evict nearby squares. The game would become unwinnable the moment a single HHA is out. If anything those squares are used for some kind of clue system. Let's evict the members who can get the most clues!

I said that already. We've already decided that if the HHA have any special abilities, that's when range would become a factor; not in any normal evictions.

and, wait, what? o_O

Darryl

Banned
I said that already. We've already decided that if the HHA have any special abilities, that's when range would become a factor; not in any normal evictions.

and, wait, what? o_O

When I looked at this map system. I immediately thought people would get location hints later on in the game once it cleared up something. Like a PM that implies there is someone near you. It's a totally made up system which I don't think is crazy for me to speculate about seeing as how the HHA apparently now have special abilities and I have no clue where that one started to come from.

For the record, I'm all for clearing out the center. Like a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. Take the middle and then see where to win.

When I looked at this map system. I immediately thought people would get location hints later on in the game once it cleared up something. Like a PM that implies there is someone near you. It's a totally made up system which I don't think is crazy for me to speculate about seeing as how the HHA apparently now have special abilities and I have no clue where that one started to come from.

For the record, I'm all for clearing out the center. Like a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. Take the middle and then see where to win.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's what I'm figuring too. But it's all kind of guessing at this point.

And, well, if we take out the possibility of HHA having special abilities, and the townies being the only one having special abilities, why was Tucah chosen? Then it would really make it random. If it's random, then that leaves us nothing to go on and we're back to day 1. Hell, even if I were chosen or one of the people who revealed themselves as having a special role were chosen, we wouldn't have anything to go on.

At the very least, if we're taking a stab in the dark and saying the HHA used a special ability, and that's why the neighbors didn't hear his home being burned to the ground, that tells us there has to be some limitation and that may be the reason why Tucah was chosen. I know it may be wrong, but it gives us some direction and something to investigate further. However, seeing how inactive some of these people are that live near Tucah, it may be more difficult that it should be to get some information out of them before time is up.

Also, I'm going to guess since we haven't heard from an investigator yet that their investigation in the night phase was fruitless...

I don't think an investigator would out himself this early.

No, but they might try to lead the investigation in a certain way, maybe under pretext. Honestly, I would have likely said that I had received information saying such and such left their home, something the supposed neighbor mechanic were keep discussing, if I were an investigator and had successfully investigated someone.

It's not really important at this juncture, though. Odds are against the investigator this early on.

Kevyt

Then I believe you.

Unvote: LaunchpadMcQ

nin1000

Banned
Going through all those missed posts that i think are important.
Let that be a lsson for future Mafia games, always evict on Day 1. And I hope we're not thinking of ending Day 2 without an eviction either.
Guess i have to agree on that part, with us not doing anything the first day we have as much information as we did the last day ( excluding the info we git about Tucah's death)

I wonder if the mafia had any strategic benefits to targeting who they did, I cant recall them giving any info that could have put them in danger, it's a strange choice.

Killing those who do not really say much or contribute to the game is very smart as those are not your usual targets. The Mafia wants to start killing those who are silent.

I agree ! Everyone who has heard something or got a PM please speak up as i want to know how this noise thing works !

I can relate to that ! As there are many others who cant post that frequently, those who post much will outshine those who dont. For now those that dont post that much are not that more suspicious as all the other players that are currently playing !

But i like how Lunchpad and Hobo keep the ball rolling :)

Hobohodo

Lots of discussion whilst I slept it seems!

I'm still not convinced about this noise mechanic that's been discussed, as it feels like all of this stemmed from Toma's joke? We know that there must at least be one special role that detects nighttime activity due to Tucah's description, so I would have expected them to get some information. Now I know this setup seems quite unique but is there any precedent in Mafia games for people to get alerted to nighttime activity even if it's not there ability?

Foshy

Just checking in to say sorry, been a bit distracted by real life stuff these last few days and barely had time for GAF at all. I'll catch up with everything today and will be participating from now on :)

I can't remember if any of the role claims have mentioned range/noise, but purely from Karkador's opening post

As a player, you occupy a space on the 5 x 5 grid (see the Town Map above). Similar to a live game, where players sit to your left and right, always consider your space on the map, and who might be surrounding you. In this game, who your 'neighbors' are will mean a great deal.

We know our neighbors have to mean something.

We seem to be thinking HHA's actions won't be limited by their position (the consensus seems to be that they could be locked out of killing people in a particular part of the map if one of them is evicted)? Does everyone agree with this?

So, do the power town roles have a range? All of them? Just 'ambient' roles? Is it just Mazre who has role claimed at this point? I meant to keep notes this time!

We know that there must at least be one special role that detects nighttime activity due to Tucah's description, so I would have expected them to get some information.

Yeah, I would think his 'red herring' activity combined with knowing our house layout is that for a reason, that there's an ambient listening role within range of Tucah, but what information could they have at this point? It sounds like Tucah was set up to set them off and now they have to wait extra nights to see if anyone else nearby does something?

I can't remember if any of the role claims have mentioned range/noise, but purely from Karkador's opening post

We know our neighbors have to mean something.

We seem to be thinking HHA's actions won't be limited by their position (the consensus seems to be that they could be locked out of killing people in a particular part of the map if one of them is evicted)? Does everyone agree with this?

So, do the power town roles have a range? All of them? Just 'ambient' roles? Is it just Mazre who has role claimed at this point? I meant to keep notes this time!

Yeah, I would think his 'red herring' activity combined with knowing our house layout is that for a reason, that there's an ambient listening role within range of Tucah, but what information could they have at this point? It sounds like Tucah was set up to set them off and now they have to wait extra nights to see if anyone else nearby does something?

There have been 5 total role claims: Mazre who says he has a day action, Razmos who has a ranged action, Ultron who is a Troublemaker supoosedly, Fran who also has a nondescript role, and me who is an ordinary villager.

Perhaps there's a special role among us that is able to listen within a certain range of their home for night activity? So, perhaps there were no indicators because the activity watcher was not in range of any movement the HHA would have had to take in order to get to Tucah. In which case, that takes any evidence out of this and Tucah was likely chosen at random, so we're back to square one.

Foshy

Huh ok, so it looks like I've ended up as the prime suspect while I was gone D: Well, can't say I can blame you guys.

Don't worry though, I'm a townie, and I should be able to prove it with my role. Not gonna disclose completely what it is right now, but I can target one of my immediate neighbors during the day phase and they'll be notified of what I did by night. So whoever it is I target should be able to vouch for my innocence in the next day phase.

Timeaisis

I will chime in and say I too am suspicious of LMQ. I also don't really feel like the proximity argument holds much water. The mafia don't know how the powers in this game work, either.

Timeaisis

Also, mafia only having the power to evict who's closest to them makes no sense. It would be impossible for them to win.

Of course, having a mafia power role that could evict a neighbor is likely. But we have no indication to believe that's what happened last night (i.e. seemed like a regular evict).

I will say LMQ has been quick to jump from one person to another regarding suspicions. On one hand, he might just be promoting conversation, on the other...it's a little suspicious.

Kalor

Well, Foshy is now the second person to mention how their role is limited by range. If I have to guess, the role which finds activity is likely limited by range.

As a number of people have said, I doubt that the HHA are limited to who they live beside as that would essentially save people if one of the HHA dies.

As of right now, I don't suspect Launchpad as they don't come across as a HHA member. They are throwing out a lot of ideas about the game and jumping from person to person but it just reads more like them posting their thought process rather than trying to mislead everyone.

I feel like we need to start talking about who we want to evict today. As I briefly mentioned before, I have some ideas but no-one is sticking out as a clear member of the HHA. The people that stick out to me ( but aren't necessarily HHA) include:

freakzilla149 (My notes mention Post 249, don't remember what it is.)
21GunShow (Inactivity, unlikely to be mafia since you would presume HHA would be active)
SmokinGunZ1981 (Same as above)

Of course these people lean towards the inactive side of the scales but freakzilla149 is the one that I'm the most curious about. What I'm thinking right now is that the HHA might be the somewhat active but not regular posters in the thread.

I will say LMQ has been quick to jump from one person to another regarding suspicions. On one hand, he might just be promoting conversation, on the other...it's a little suspicious.

I'm not convinced of anything honestly, not even that any of my suspicions hold water. If it seems I'm jumping from suspect to suspect, it's only because I want to explore the possibilities thoroughly and why whoever I mention may or may not be suspicious. I haven't committed to anything yet, especially since there's nothing tangible here. Everyone acts so damn innocent, I'm just so suspicious of everyone...

I'm just a normal, run of the mill villager.

You wouldn't evict one of your own, would you?

image.php

Top Bottom