• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf |OT2| You Can Stack Fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

You have to backup after every save to avoid getting screwed like I did, but it's still nice to have the option. It's a little annoying, but it's better than losing it all.

how are you guys backing up, exactly? i saw the update said it could save to the SD now, then putting it on your PC or wha? didn't see the details on where to go for SD saving

Salsa

A lot of people said that save corruption had a direct correlation with doing download later. I think even saves in games other than AC as well.

the hell

I did Download Later with all of my games and didnt have an issue

there's no reason why that process would be any different. Whatever "rumor" came up from that seems completely unfounded and mere chance to me. You're downloading the exact same thing either way and the save is created the first time you play.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I probably shouldn't be bummed out, but man, I'm kinda bummed out that fishing two old boots doesn't mean that you can wear them.

yami4ct

how are you guys backing up, exactly? i saw the update said it could save to the SD now, then putting it on your PC or wha? didn't see the details on where to go for SD saving

I'd like to know this as well. I want to take precautions.

I used to back up by just copying everything from the SD card to my PC. With the new update, there's a specific backup function. Not sure how it works, though.

All of this save data talk is making me paranoid. Plus, I'm on physical, so I can't even super paranoia back up every single time if I wanted to.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I can see why Nintendo would have wanted a check on the saves so it could only be the last save it had logged but I think that's overkill for Animal Crossing.

yami4ct

I can see why Nintendo would have wanted a check on the saves so it could only be the last save it had logged but I think that's overkill for Animal Crossing.

I can understand it in theory, but Animal Crossing is a single player game first and foremost. It's not mostly multiplayer like Pokemon. I never really care about how people hack and cheat on their single player games. It's just their experience they're altering, not mine.

Ok, I'm done for the night. I'll be popping in tomorrow for more help begging. I should be able to assess just what I've lost after I get my shops reopened and visit the island tomorrow. Now, it's time for bed.

Homescreen > tap on downloaded game > tap on the arrow in the bottom left corner > backup option appears > tap on it > OK

Unicorn

the hell

I did Download Later with all of my games and didnt have an issue

there's no reason why that process would be any different. Whatever "rumor" came up from that seems completely unfounded and mere chance to me. You're downloading the exact same thing either way and the save is created the first time you play.
Yeah I'm not a true believer of it, but I went physical, so..... Fingers crossed.

IrishNinja

aw, having not played AC since the GC days, it was cool seeing Rover on the rain & him remembering it too <3

I used to back up by just copying everything from the SD card to my PC. With the new update, there's a specific backup function. Not sure how it works, though.

the new function doesnt work with New Leaf

well, that sucks...so that means you cant restore save files from your PC > SD anymore either then?

froliq

You're never gonna have use of the backup if you crash during a multiplayer session. It always saves when someone comes, so the last save the game recognizes is always later than any backup you have at that moment and you obviously can't backup during that mp session.

Salsa

well, that sucks...so that means you cant restore save files from your PC > SD anymore either then?

you can technically back up your save every day by copying it into your PC, but the next time Animal Crossing saves that old save is useless since the game won't register it

You're never gonna have use of the backup if you crash during a multiplayer session. It always saves when someone comes, so the last save the game recognizes is always later than any backup you have at that moment and you obviously can't backup during that mp session.

pretty much

yami4ct

honestly i'd be more worried about save corruption if I was messing with the SD card by taking it out and back in every single day

If you turn off the 3DS before taking it out and putting it back in, the risks of corruption should be minimal. The only issues should arise if you take it out while saving.

And another note, my issue was probably caused by a defective card. I restarted and was messing around with it because it wouldn't let me save screenshots. It kept telling me it was full when it tried creating the SS file, even though it had gigs and gigs of space remaining. The card is now completely unreadable, even by a pc or recovery software.

yami4ct

aw, having not played AC since the GC days, it was cool seeing Rover on the rain & him remembering it too <3

You can still copy everything and then restore as long as it's the absolute newest save.

Salsa

my SD is getting kinda slower when it comes to taking/uploading pics but I assume that's the 3DS being shitty about their whole photo thing when the card starts to get full

basically it just takes a while now with the "loading" screen whenever the photo gallery pops up when uploading. Taken over 100 pics

yami4ct

my SD is getting kinda slower when it comes to taking/uploading pics but I assume that's the 3DS being shitty about their whole photo thing when the card starts to get full

basically it just takes a while now with the "loading" screen whenever the photo gallery pops up when uploading. Taken over 100 pics

SD cards get slower as they fill up, right? I'm pretty sure they do. Gets harder for them to find the open spaces. It also could be the photo app taking a long time to load up all your photos.

Salsa

the only little advice I can give: I've had all sorts of Resetti errors when in MP, and I even had one occasion where the game HANG there when exiting a door in MP. It just showed me the door and the game playing but my character wasnt there and he wasnt opening the door either. Just a closed door, with no loading animation, no nothing.

I just left the game there for a good 2-3 minutes and eventually he came out.

so basically try to NEVER turn off your 3DS if something weird happens.

IrishNinja

damn, kind've a mess...just the digi version or carts too? still kinda wish idve gone digi for this one
also thanks OP/whoever for that face guide! i was just about to start lookin like a freak but went back for that smary-faced blue eyed kid, heh

noted! thanks guys

yami4ct

the only little advice I can give: I've had all sorts of Resetti errors when in MP, and I even had one occasion where the game HANG there when exiting a door in MP. It just showed me the door and the game playing but my character wasnt there and he wasnt opening the door either. Just a closed door, with no loading animation, no nothing.

I just left the game there for a good 2-3 minutes and eventually he came out.

Most of the time, the game should not be saving during MP, so you shouldn't risk corruption, Corruption should only happen if you turn off during a save. Still not sure what happened with Stats, but your advice still stands. If the game isn't hard locked, you should either complete what your doing or get kicked out with an error. If you do get hard locked, especially during a save, the best you can do is pray and hope you don't end up in my or Stats shoes.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don't have a tumblr account, but I guess it would make sense to make one just for this game, huh.

yami4ct

Ok, I'm out for real this time guys. See you pretty early tomorrow. I'll probably post quite a few town updates, as I have nothing better to do. Who knows, might make me feel a bit better. Haha. Man, I wish I could smash this accursed SD Card to bits for the pure catharsis. Sadly, it must get returned to Amazon so I don't get a replacement charge. I'll just have to take solace in it going through the RMA process.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anything I can do at night time when everything has closed shop? Since I keep getting errors while trying to visit other people it limits what I can do quite a bit. x:

Salsa

I really should get a new SD card and transfer all of it.

I've been using this Sony class 4 4GB now that came with the XL (bought it used just to play this game on release, i'll be getting a new one in October on a trip) and I have no idea for how long it has been used nor where it came from.

I guess it looks like a camera card or something, although I thought Sony had their own format for those.

The other thing that "kinda" bothers me about other, bigger cards is that most of the ones I can buy are actually mini-SD cards with SD adapters, and for some reason that strikes me as less reliable than an actual big SD card..

Anything I can do at night time when everything has closed shop? Since I keep getting errors while trying to visit other people it limits what I can do quite a bit. x:

If any villagers are awake, try chatting with them and see if you get any errands. Also, you can just fish/catch bugs and store them in your locker until the shops open.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My bohemian chick enjoying her cosy little pad.

PoQMsB1.jpg

Now she's learning to dress smarter.

UTIFr5L.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If any villagers are awake, try chatting with them and see if you get any errands. Also, you can just fish/catch bugs and store them in your locker until the shops open.

Ah, sounds good! I hope I can do some more stuff at late night sometime later since my sleep schedule is all screwy.

Ah, they switch over at midnight too? Does that mean you get three prices a day, or is the midnight price the same as the following morning price?

I thinking the latter just based on Nook n' Go turnip prices in City Folk: morning, afternoon, next day (morning)

teeny

Margie wants an item to put on top of her cabana table. Any recomendations? Do villagers get pissed off if you give them stuff not according to their tastes? What determines whether an item can go on top of a piece of furniture? I tried giving her a lamp but she said it was not what she was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom