• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime character designs over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I care far more about animation fluidity and impact than I do style or detail. Though, if I had to pick a single time period, I'd probably go with 00's, just because that's what I grew up with and most of my favorite series' have been since 2000.

But it really bothers me is when people say "Things suck now, they need to go back to the way things were when I was younger." Because that's just such a subjective view. I personally think the solid singular colors look better more often than heavily detailed and shaded anime. It's easier to animate which means it'll be easier for there to be more good looking, we'll animated anime. And, what it usually devolves into is just a nostalgia battle, which nobody wins.

Manu

lyuze-from-casshern-sins.jpg

Whoa, what's this? Looks amazing.

FAKE EDIT: Filename. Duh.

Kaleinc

Banned
Don't look for complex shading in moe blob swarm and production IG's cheap lazyass animes. Properly done titles look better anyway. More colors (not 6 bit for sure), CG effects, post processing make up for a little fewer tones.

Lijik

In general I prefer the general 60s-80s look to more modern series (again speaking broadly). That being said-
I rather have these

My man. To all of those
I grow up watching 70's and 80's stuff. There's something charing about the 70's shoujo series.
i691V0wDDc8e4.gif

Lalabel_04.jpg

It's so oudated but still is one of my favorite eras.
The background design in most of those shows were really rad and creative. Here's an article about some from Ace o Nerae for those that haven't seen any

Otaking is kind of like Egoraptor in that they made one quality statement (Otaking's fansub talk, Ego's Sequelitis) as what seems to be some kind of fluke because they are otherwise crazy/disingenuous/generally wrong.

Sure, but right now the trend seems to be the style like in my second batch of pics. Everything looks kinda the same.
It doesnt make the anime bad, but just seems like something you already saw a hundred times.

I mean even the manga some of the adaptions look totally different, but as an anime when you compare them, they look the same.

Your initial examples range from 2004 to 2011. Things haven't suddenly changed in the last two years so that now everything is exactly the same. In all eras there are common art styles that a good body of artwork falls under, and there are outliers that lie outside those styles. I'll just post a few examples I quickly gathered from the past year:

PfZ0J7z.jpg

Death Billiards

HXE19F2.jpg

Eccentric Family

toiTnLl.jpg

Flowers of Evil

BN7LijW.jpg

Ghost in the Shell Arise

nSX0FIm.jpg

Jinsei Best Ten

9N7IkWS.jpg

Kyousogiga

jEIfaqx.jpg

Life of Guskou Budori

OSJ5s1t.jpg

Rozen Maiden

g9TUx0i.jpg

Saint Young Men

If you think those all look the same, I'd have to question your eyesight.

jmdajr

This pic sums it up pretty well:

i0j5XpMmQkvC4.jpg

Anime design has gotten a lot simpler and doesn't really interest me anymore. It feels like the older style of anime had characters, while the newer style has caricatures. Plus the way that so much anime has gone "moe" to pander to otakus (see the pic above) is another good summation of what is wrong with anime.

Wow that sums up how I feel. Great post man. For real.

The grittiness is gone.

Manu

Your initial examples range from 2004 to 2011. Things haven't suddenly changed in the last two years so that now everything is exactly the same. In all eras there are common art styles that a good body of artwork falls under, and there are outliers that lie outside those styles. I'll just post a few examples I quickly gathered from the past year:

Wait, they made an anime of Saint Young Men? I need to check it out, the manga was great.

Complaining about Disney style?
LOL
Id much prefer a timeless style to some of those examples that might look outdated less than 10 years later.

Never going to look outdated.
I don't know. The movies are timeless but the style is in the past, just look at Snow White
Snow-White.jpg

And Rapunzel
Rapunzel_y_Pascal.jpg

Both are good but honestly I prefer Rapunzel, she looks alive and funny, SW looks like those porcelain figurines in grandma's house.

Cerity

Instead of trying to use an own style, most anime nowadays just copy the most famous anime in terms of artstyle, so a lot of those look so similar...

This isn't a new thing, studios following trends has been around for a long time. There'll be one or two unique looking series a season but the rest will be pretty samey. The fact we can generalise entire decades shows this.

Also comparing an entire industry of animation to disney is fairly silly IMO. The anime/manga industry isn't one person or company. We can all recognise a disney movie just by looking at it and they want to maintain that aesthetic, which is why it hasn't changed. If people like Oda or Toriyama were in charge of designs for the entire industry we could probably draw the comparison but they aren't.

jmdajr

I have zero problems with Disney, I like their work.

I liked anime for you know..being different. I'm sure I can find stuff I would like if I looked, but I probably won't.

jett

D-Member
One thing that's nice is how the Ghibli/Miyazaki style has remained near-untouched over the years. One of the perks of having an all-powerful workaholic at the top of the food chain, I guess. :p

This is frankly the only animation style I would consider timeless in anime.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The so-called simplistic style of character design for a lot of 00's anime seems to allow for higher quality animation on television budgets. Gainax did the same thing in the 90s. The character art style in Evangelion was relatively plain and simple compared to a lot of the hyper-extreme stuff of the era. But they pushed out great animation with few technical mistakes on a low budget and rushed schedule.

The reason Disney uses "flat" shading like they do seems to be due to high budget western animation focusing on full frames at a high framerate for very lush, flowing movement without shortcuts such as having characters stop moving when they speak.

This little anime film:

... also keeps shading and such very simple in order to allow for its famously high quality and fluid animation which uses a ton of frames.

Ghibli uses clean, simple, character designs in their films as well due to balancing all factors in creating high quality animation.

Wow that sums up how I feel. Great post man. For real.

The grittiness is gone.

To reiterate the point that has already been made: all the "the old" anime in the left category are movies or OVAs that have a comparatively higher budget and can afford to look better for their smaller running time while all the "the new" anime on the right are from actual shows that run longer and therefore have to stretch their money further and go for more basic looks.

It's a fundamentally flawed, misleading comparison that is full of shit but sucks people in anyway.

Manu

Yeah, there's two OVAs out that were released with volumes of the manga and a feature film that'll be out on disc in Japan on October 23.

Awesome! I'll check them out.

For those who don't know, it's a manga about Jesus and Buddha as two twenty-somethings moving together to a flat in Japan. It's good.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The so-called simplistic style of character design for a lot of 00's anime seems to allow for higher quality animation on television budgets. Gainax did the same thing in the 90s. The character art style in Evangelion was relatively plain and simple compared to a lot of the hyper-extreme stuff of the era. But they pushed out great animation with few technical mistakes on a low budget and rushed schedule.

The reason Disney uses "flat" shading like they do seems to be due to high budget western animation focusing on full frames at a high framerate for very lush, flowing movement without shortcuts such as having characters stop moving when they speak.

This little anime film:

... also keeps shading and such very simple in order to allow for its famously high quality and fluid animation which uses a ton of frames.

Ghibli uses clean, simple, character designs in their films as well due to balancing all factors in creating high quality animation.

Best post in this thread.

jmdajr

To reiterate the point that has already been made: all the "the old" anime in the left category are movies or OVAs that have a comparatively higher budget and can afford to look better for their smaller running time while all the "the new" anime on the right are from actual shows that run longer and therefore have to stretch their money further and go for more basic looks.

It's a fundamentally flawed, misleading comparison that is full of shit but sucks people in anyway.

I guess. I rather watch Fist of the North Star, DBZ, or Macross then a majority of the crap out these days.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
This pic sums it up pretty well:

i0j5XpMmQkvC4.jpg

Anime design has gotten a lot simpler and doesn't really interest me anymore. It feels like the older style of anime had characters, while the newer style has caricatures. Plus the way that so much anime has gone "moe" to pander to otakus (see the pic above) is another good summation of what is wrong with anime.

I am saving this, it's very informative indeed.

I guess. I rather watch Fist of the North Star, DBZ, or Macross then a majority of the crap out these days.

Sure, nothing wrong with that. Everyone has preferences. Just a matter of keeping perspective with that chart when trying to use it as a base to say things.

To use one of your examples, watch an episode of Macross then watch DYRL. Hell, watch an average episode of Macross then watch the one with Max and Millia's knife fight.

RedSwirl

The so-called simplistic style of character design for a lot of 00's anime seems to allow for higher quality animation on television budgets. .

I kind of suspected this too. You can see it in recent Bones shows like Soul Eater, Full Metal Alchemist, and Eureka Seven. Some of the action scenes in those movies look closer to movies and OVAs of the 90's.

I was thinking the same thing.

I mean, are you really gonna compare the Guyver OVA series to Naruto and FMA? Of COURSE there's gonna be differences.

For an example of 80s TV anime:

YA0mFaI.jpg

Hey look, fuck-all shading.

Fuck. Ronin Warriors.

Man that shit is never gonna be released again.

Oh is that cringe worthy shading pic again. Someone should remove the part in the middle with the amateur drawings, so it is not so hilarious when it critiques Pocahontas (which coloring wise is light years ahead of most of what is in there too)

V_Arnold

I always interpreted that huge picture as "guy being hung up on shading" .
Chances are that if you judge an anime based on the looks alone, you are missing the ponit. Yeah, it was different back then. It might have been better. But do not judge books based on the cover, right? Shading is but one part of what makes a story work.

(Also, certain styles work better with less colors. Surprising? Nope.)

Are you guys serious?

I doubt that they have more than a passing interest in animes if they are.

jmdajr

Are you guys serious?

Yes and?

Overall I feel the switch to digital made anime lose a lot of it's appeal.

I feel at least back then people put some love into the craft.

Sure perhaps they do too these days, but my overall feeling it's that's far, far less.

Lijik

This little anime film:

(akira pic)

Meh, doesnt have 8 layers of shading tones, cant be that good. Looks like its just a bunch of shallow caricatures on the screen for 124 minutes. Not a lick of grittiness

Endo Punk

I definitely notice the decline in quality, in the early 00's I couldn't quite put my finger on why my love for anime was falling despite being able to watch and enjoy(still to this day) films and shows like FOTS, GITS, Outlaw Star, Cowboy bebop, Wicked City, Golgo and such.

The character designs were phenomenal in those anime.

jmdajr

I definitely notice the decline in quality, in the early 00's I couldn't quite put my finger on why my love for anime was falling despite being able to watch and enjoy(still to this day) films and shows like FOTS, GITS, Outlaw Star, Cowboy bebop, Wicked City, Golgo and such.

The character designs were phenomenal in those anime.

Absolutely. It looked bad ass.

People argue it's because they were OVA and not TV, well it's not like I asked OVA's to die.
The market is all TV now.

Hell 30 bux for three fucking TV episodes on DVD? Like two on VHS. That's most definitely when I started buying less.

V_Arnold

If anything, I consider stuff like Wolf's Rain and Fullmetal Alchemist vastly SUPERIOR to many 90's and 80's classics not only in terms of storytelling but in DESGIN as well.

And guess what? These shows pushed the limits of what we consider good animations. Alongside other classics of the early 2000's era. (Samurai Champloo, anyone?)

It is good to see Akira being mentioned. That anime has animations that still shame almost anything else. So good.

Sorry to go against the grain, but I think that crazy 90's style is FUCKING AWESOME. Things actually were expressive and zany. it was really the Japanese equivalent of what Ren and Stimpy begat in the West.

lupin_nostradamus1.png

the-slayers-the-complete-third-season-20080510030309957-000.jpg

SaberMarionetteJ13.jpg

Mischief_Makers.jpg

Even more "serious" stuff was just a little more stylistically unhinged in the 90's.

massoluk

Banned
Yes and?

Overall I feel the switch to digital made anime lose a lot of it's appeal.

I feel at least back then people put some love into the craft.

Sure perhaps they do too these days, but my overall feeling it's that's far, far less.

Dude, the picture compares old OVA and Movies with modern TV series. It's absolutely unfair comparison.

Normal anime tv series doesn't look at all better than today's anime tv series.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
All dat Mio, its weird yet somehow nonsurprising how so much generalization has been posted from pictures in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom