• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime character designs over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

If we're talking about respect, K-ON has more respect for females than the average 80s OVA. (And indeed the K-ON anime is a fairly popular series among females.)

Just because they aren't showed naked it hardly means they are respected. K-on female characters are essentially love-dolls for otaku to masturbate to, they aren't allowed for example to interact with male characters too much or show signs of intelligence because it would make otaku feel uncomfortable and ruin their idea of "purity".

Girls like it because it's cute.

I love how an anime with 2 guys and 3 girls somehow qualifies. Or anime where the main character is a girl. Even funnier when most of those anime haven't even aired yet and you know which characters are clichéd female characters.

Oh wait, you have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on.

I can guess by just how it looks like. I would say that I know after reading the summary on those chart-sites and seeing the promo-images what you would expect from these.

I mean IS and Freezing... at least those are what already qualifies as "mindless ecchi harem". Walkure Romance is based on a hentai-VN.
Then you have the anime about girl wrestling.

I mean I could also post the summaries to them:

"CG anime that will center around the extracurricular activities of students."

"Elementary school student Ichijou Hotaru has moved with her parents from Tokyo to the middle of the country. Now she must adapt to her new school, where there are a total of 5 students in the same class who range through elementary and middle school ages."

and so on.

I mean, come on. You need to be blind to not see what the gripe of these shows are.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can guess by just how it looks like. I would say that I know after reading the summary on those chart-sites and seeing the promo-images what you would expect from these.

I mean IS and Freezing... at least those are what already qualifies as "mindless ecchi harem". Walkure Romance is based on a hentai-VN.

"Elementary school student Ichijou Hotaru has moved with her parents from Tokyo to the middle of the country. Now she must adapt to her new school, where there are a total of 5 students in the same class who range through elementary and middle school ages."

and so on.

I mean, come on. You need to be blind to not see what the gripe of these shows are.

Basically this. Seems to me like you're being defensive for the sake of it, rather than recognizing the fact that the content and demographic of the average anime have shifted dramatically over the last two decades.

EDIT: Also what _Keiichi_ says.

and so on.

Okay, now where do Galilei Donna, Gingitsune, and Nagi no Asukara fall into those claims? Or is ''any anime where girls do anything''? Would you complain if Galilei Donna or Gingitsune had male leads instead?

Recently? I haven't been watching anime as much as I used to because of the content and demographics shift. I read a lot of manga more now because the stuff I can enjoy is still available in that format. I also moved to marathoning shows over watching them weekly so I haven't really caught up on shows in the last few years. I intend on doing so eventually, heh.

Are you... me? I also noticed I shifted from Anime to manga at about 2007/2008. You dont really have things like Oyasumi Punpun, Vinland Saga, I am a Hero, Solanin or even Yotsuba. The closest we got for a "Yotsuba"-like anime was Hanamaru Kindergarden a while back.
I am glad though that Knights of Sidonia gets an Anime. Hope they dont fuck it up. Especially the Gauna-scenes.

But I suggest Tatami Galaxy to you. Thats great.

Okay, now where do Galilei Donna, Gingitsune, and Nagi no Asukara fall into those claims? Or is ''any anime where girls do anything''? Would you complain if Galilei Donna or Gingitsune had male leads instead?

The selling-point for Galilei Donna are supposed to be the sisters.

galilei-donna-3rd-key-visual.jpg

Gingitsune dont really fall in that category that much, but the main point was the artstyle at the beginning of the discussion.

Nagi no Asakura though falls into that. Watched the first episode and seriously, Manaka really falls into a cliché. The lovable clutz, that cries a lot. We havent really met much of the other characters, but I suppose the will also fall into a good old cliché.
The animation is really great, but the characters are, till now, the typical main-characters we had since about 2005 in these anime.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Basically this. Seems to me like you're being defensive for the sake of it, rather than recognizing the fact that the content and demographic of the average anime have shifted dramatically over the last two decades.
It hasn't though. It's always been full of trash for lowest common denominator tastes.

Seems like you're compensating for your inability to sift through the crap to find the good stuff, since recent works are, well, recent and don't have the consensus-decided quality designation behind them for those unable to judge for themselves.

Also questionable tastes and a possibly abnormal fear of sexuality. There's nothing wrong with Gargantia.

Just because they aren't showed naked it hardly means they are respected. K-on female characters are essentially love-dolls for otaku to masturbate to, they aren't allowed for example to interact with male characters too much or show signs of intelligence because it would make otaku feel uncomfortable and ruin their idea of "purity".

Girls like it because it's cute.

I am sorry that you are blinded by prejudice. Females like shows like K-ON because they're relationship-driven, and certainly the female creative team behind K-ON knows how females interact with each other. Recently, I've gotten positive reception from females I know to Girls und Panzer, due to its depiction of relationships.

This is kind of a fruitless conversation, but I'll leave with one question: are the people in here complaining about the treatment of females in contemporary anime themselves female? If not, perhaps you should show a female a show such as K-ON or Tamayura or Love Lab and get their perspective.

(mat)

I would take early Dragon Ball style over late Dragon Ball Z style any day. I love the curvy lines and the over the top and sometimes derpy expressions way more than the sharp and serious.

Is it really the animation that bugs me? Maybe it's the progression into seriousness of that particular series alone... I don't know.

If not, perhaps you should show a female a show such as K-ON or Tamayura or Love Lab and get their perspective.

I dont really care how they are treated. Just found it sad, that the Anime of Love Lab is so different from the manga.
I read the chinese manga-scans till volume 6 or 7 and the anime was really made for the "moe"-fans than for the ones who liked the manga.

The manga was really serious at times and the characters were far more believable. The anime on the other hand tried to copy "moe"-anime. The characters seemed like copy-paste characters just to fit a cliché. Was kinda sad to see this :(

Okay, DTL.

DTL?

Edit: Besides. Its not bad that there are anime like that. The thing people are critizising here is, that there is just too much of it. Sure there are still hidden gems in every season, but people are too lazy to even look for them or invest time to check every anime.
Thats one thing that happened in Germany in the manga-market. There was a time, when like 7 out of 10 manga were yaoi/BL-manga. People didnt see the other manga, because in the bookstore like 3/4th of the manga-section was just BL.
Things like Beck, Saikano, Maison Ikkoku and such were overlooked.

I think thats the same right now with Anime. You look at the season-chart and like every second anime has some girls on the cover and the summaries really let you think, that these anime wont really offer much story.

Edit 2: Just saw this:

Yasuhiro IMAGAWA:

"My great teacher, Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of Gundam, taught me something very important. if you continue to make a copy of a copy of a copy, eventually the image degrades to nothing. Anime has become almost disposable, like a seasonal product. It can hurt seeing something you created selling used for a few yen on Amazon. Us creators should strive to make anime that people will hold onto and love for years.”

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It hasn't though. It's always been full of trash for lowest common denominator tastes.

Seems like you're compensating for your inability to sift through the crap to find the good stuff, since recent works are, well, recent and don't have the consensus-decided quality designation behind them for those unable to judge for themselves.

Also questionable tastes and a possibly abnormal fear of sexuality. There's nothing wrong with Gargantia.

Abnormal fear of sexuality? Uh, no. I'm fine with sexuality provided that it's believable. I dislike anime sexuality for the same reason HBO sex scenes, for the most part, annoy me - there doesn't seem to be any reason behind most of the sex scenes, it just feels like the authors went "hey, pace is slowing, let's have a sex scene even though it doesn't really relate to anything else going at the moment". The sexualised scenes and characters in Samurai Champloo were amazing, because they usually built off the way the episode and plot had been developing to that point. There was a reason behind them. In contrast, the sexualised scenes in many other anime shows feel like wank material for people unable to find girlfriends/boyfriends or understand how actual human interaction works. Gargantia is a prime example of the above.

Yamauchi

Banned
I quite liked 12 Kingdoms' anime style (2002-2003):

ishot-321.jpg

571035_1272819967723.54res_500_375.jpg

I thought the style for the book covers was pretty awesome as well:

514M7W8AZHL._SS500_.jpg

Renoir

Probably.

So, to you, DBZ and Hokuto no Ken look better than this, this or this? (I know the last one is technically cheating since it's a movie, but the idiotic image everyone keeps quoting unfairly compares old OVAs to new TV shows so what the hell)

Also, take a look at this and tell me anime nowadays look bad.
WHAT ASURA WRATH ANIME!!?
Btw any of these actually good apart from the fight scene?
Already aware on FMABH

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Masamune Shirow was pretty consistent over the years his animated stuff def has the 80's look wonder how is latest apple seed looks, if he's still doing the art for it or just scripting them.

Kite

Anime was so much better back in the day, far fewer of this fanservice/moe/pandering bs~
846POyB.jpg
GtzPmTL.jpg
t1dg1Lt.jpg

mGuPDhU.jpg
qH5yZnE.jpg
RrOPjRK.jpg

I5O3GbI.jpg
fYbF8wj.jpg
aHIxUTt.jpg

aoYInN1.jpg
swKD1im.jpg
4IflTaD.jpg

Seriously, no one here remembers walking down the anime aisle of Suncoast video and cringing at the vast majority of tapes there? Most anime has always been pandering crap and you had to find the few gems every season.

Shouta

Abnormal fear of sexuality? Uh, no. I'm fine with sexuality provided that it's believable. I dislike anime sexuality for the same reason HBO sex scenes, for the most part, annoy me - there doesn't seem to be any reason behind most of the sex scenes, it just feels like the authors went "hey, pace is slowing, let's have a sex scene even though it doesn't really relate to anything else going at the moment". The sexualised scenes and characters in Samurai Champloo were amazing, because they usually built off the way the episode and plot had been developing to that point. There was a reason behind them. In contrast, the sexualised scenes in many other anime shows feel like wank material for people unable to find girlfriends/boyfriends or understand how actual human interaction works. Gargantia is a prime example of the above.

Pretty much. That's what I see being the main issue with the anime in the last 20 or so years. It's pushed the boundaries of extreme farther out. The goal posts for what would be normal are moved as a result. It makes it harder to watch a lot of stuff. This is partially because the demographics, of course. Then there's of course, the general tone and content shift added in.

There are, of course, outliers in every year and it isn't like older anime didn't have extreme content either but the magnitude and frequency are most definitely not the same. Though, the amount of television series per year has basically doubled (sometimes tripled or quadrupled) nowadays. The short format has done a lot to increase that.

The shift really started in the late 90s. It's kind of interesting to look at the spread and see what kind of things were going on based off the content of the show, if you've seen enough of them.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm not denying that there isn't what you described. I'm saying Gargantia isn't it, though, and I find your impression puzzling.

Grzi

WHAT ASURA WRATH ANIME!!?

IIRC that's DLC for the game.

Btw any of these actually good apart from the fight scene?

There's a lot of shows that look great, you really should stop by the Anime GAF thread if you need recommendations.
Of course, most shows need to save budget from time to time, so there are worse looking episodes, but there's often lots of sweet sakuga for you to feast your eyes upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom