• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

petran79

Banned
Watched Yuri!!! On Ice from BD. Quite a refreshing series and at last we see also women nosebleed to male fanservice. That skate animation must have been very difficult to animate. If all the animation were like the 2.5 minute extra...
I was surprised to see the difference in age rating between the UK and the French BD.
UK had 12, while French had 16 age rating. Apparently the latter treat male fanservice the same way as female fanservice, to which I agree. Had it naked women in bath scenes and showing asses with such detail during skating instead, UK age rating would be higher too

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't MAL the same type of community that celebrates shit from "Anime Feminist" who claimed WATATEN! was an anime about child grooming and pedophilia? They are a freakin' joke.
"One day, fifth grader Hinata Hoshino takes her friend Hana Shirosaki to her home. Hinata's sister Miyako, a college student, falls in love with with Hana at first sight. Miyako's clumsy behavior and shyness, makes Hana wary, however Hana gradually opens up to Miyako. "
It's not?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
"One day, fifth grader Hinata Hoshino takes her friend Hana Shirosaki to her home. Hinata's sister Miyako, a college student, falls in love with with Hana at first sight. Miyako's clumsy behavior and shyness, makes Hana wary, however Hana gradually opens up to Miyako. "
It's not?

It isn't. Go read the manga or watch the anime.

Typhares

Stupid Netflix cut BAKI into two season for the west with the last 13 episodes coming out in march... screw that!

I've read up to volume 3 of Yuuna and The Haunted Hot Springs and wow, I really love this series.

It's just a very fun, cute and well... sexy of course, harem comedy, complete with some genuine laugh out loud moments, even if you're not usually a fan of that genre it's a very well done example of it.

But I have a question, there's some fairly graphic nudity and I see it's originally Published in Weekly Shonen Jump, which I thought was generally kid (or at least young teen) friendly stuff, is it censored in the magazine or does Shonen Jump simply skew way older than I realized?

manfestival

So I have kinda forced myself to watch through tokyo ghoul. Currently finishing episode 14 of Tokyo Ghoul RE but one thing that I absolutely hate is the lack of explaining anything in this show. I swear most anime OVER explains everything but this one sometimes just flat out doesnt even bother. It is driving me a little crazy cause I wouldnt like a better understanding of what is happening. I guess this is the lesser of the 2 evils?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've read up to volume 3 of Yuuna and The Haunted Hot Springs and wow, I really love this series.

It's just a very fun, cute and well... sexy of course, harem comedy, complete with some genuine laugh out loud moments, even if you're not usually a fan of that genre it's a very well done example of it.

But I have a question, there's some fairly graphic nudity and I see it's originally Published in Weekly Shonen Jump, which I thought was generally kid (or at least young teen) friendly stuff, is it censored in the magazine or does Shonen Jump simply skew way older than I realized?
I could have sworn I saw a nipple or two in a chapter or two. So I have no idea. Bird Ojou best girl.

Saw the first ep of Promised Netherland

Did connie have a flower on her heart like in the manga? I might have missed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
More like tons and tons of nipples.

I'm not sure who "Bird Ojou" is referring to, maybe I haven't gotten far enough? At any rate Chisaki Miyazaki (my current avatar) is my fav of the girls.
She's another girl (Tengu) that gets introduced later along with a nue.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's that rare. This is basically to love ru but with a non pussy protag, well drawn characters oh and good overall. My biggest gripe with the series is pretty much a giant spoiler from the last volume but other than that its great outside the lolis that ruin all the plot.

Sakura

Ah, interesting.

That's one thing I like about the series is how it keeps introducing more and more girls, seems like that's somewhat rare for a harem series to have an influx of new characters like that.
It's actually pretty common for harem series to do that. They can't really move the plot forward because if the protagonist ended up with someone the series would basically be over. Instead they just continually add characters so they can do story arcs for them until the popularity declines or the author gets tired of it, then it finally ends.

I don't think it's that rare. This is basically to love ru but with a non pussy protag, well drawn characters oh and good overall. My biggest gripe with the series is pretty much a giant spoiler from the last volume but other than that its great outside the lolis that ruin all the plot.

Last volume? Is it already concluded? Or do you just mean the most recent one?

It's actually pretty common for harem series to do that. They can't really move the plot forward because if the protagonist ended up with someone the series would basically be over. Instead they just continually add characters so they can do story arcs for them until the popularity declines or the author gets tired of it, then it finally ends.

I mean obviously most harem series wind up adding one or two new girls before the end of their run, but They don't seem to do it on average as frequently as Yuuna does though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yuuna and the Hot Springs is uncensored for the volumes. The weekly magazine releases have fog and light obscuring stuff.

What's really interesting about the manga is that starting around volume 4 or so official color releases, that are surprisingly good, started coming out for the chapters.

Doom85

Yeah, I only read up to Vol. 18 of Hayate the Combat Butler (might get back into it someday, it was pretty funny) and it was insane how many characters it had already added by that point for a comedy/harem series. My only issue with this is that by having so many characters I'll rarely think the main girl is the most compelling by that point (like with Hayate, Nagi's alright but there's way better pairings for him especially Hinagiku) and it's honestly becoming a kinda boring cliche to have him always pick the main girl. I think Shuffle won points for me for at least venturing off the beaten path in that regard.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, I only read up to Vol. 18 of Hayate the Combat Butler (might get back into it someday, it was pretty funny) and it was insane how many characters it had already added by that point for a comedy/harem series. My only issue with this is that by having so many characters I'll rarely think the main girl is the most compelling by that point (like with Hayate, Nagi's alright but there's way better pairings for him especially Hinagiku) and it's honestly becoming a kinda boring cliche to have him always pick the main girl. I think Shuffle won points for me for at least venturing off the beaten path in that regard.

Was really sad when that series ended. Still definitely worth finishing!

Sakura

Yeah it is typically why I don't care for those kinds of series. They will keep adding girls but you know it doesn't matter because the end will always be A) the main girl, or B) no resolution. A sucks if you don't like the main heroine. And the B type endings are especially annoying when you have series that go on literally forever, and once it finally ends you realise the story is pretty much at the same point as when it started. The very few series that deviate from this are refreshing.

Last edited:
Yuuna and the Hot Springs is uncensored for the volumes. The weekly magazine releases have fog and light obscuring stuff.

What's really interesting about the manga is that starting around volume 4 or so official color releases, that are surprisingly good, started coming out for the chapters.

Yes, that's what I figured is that it would be censored.

Also, there's color releases? Cool, I didn't know that.

NahaNago

Well , Dragon Ball Super: Broly comes out today in U.S. theatres. Already bought my ticket and now just waiting for time to go by while I organize my dvds. I'm kinda shocked that I missed seeing Modest Heroes in theatres I was really looking forward to it.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Wanted to watch Fafner in the Azure. Had to torrent a fansub from 2004 since it's like impossible to get a hold of. This is gonna be a trip watching this.

NahaNago

Dragon Ball Super Broly was not that good. The fight scenes were great at times but I feel like it was one of the weakest movies so far. The music was terrible in my opinion and they made too many stupid goku jokes. They really failed to get the fans going and hyped in the movie and as a result the atmosphere in the theatre was kinda meh. They also kinda did some weird kung fu like hand gestures when fighting and goku took damage and screamed for weak attacks that should have done nothing to him. Weird. The style they used for the film worked well with the more hand to hand fight scenes I would say. I would have to say that I am over all disappointed with the movie. Well next up is Mr. Glass but my expectations for that movie is pretty low. I have been looking forward to it but my hype for the movie has always been just an interested state.

Last edited:

Rotti

Hey guys, do you have a news page or something where I can follow all the new releases and news of Anime ? I normally see what my friends are watching or people I follow on twitter, but i feel that Im missing a lot of good anime.

Also manga please.

Last edited:
Depends, Anime News Network has a lot of info but annoying editorials and reviews. Fandom Post is another one as well. They cover both anime and manga. Also, Sakura Anime News is kind of like Niche Gamer. They have this extensive stuff on Animegate. Pretty interesting stuff.

Rotti

Depends, Anime News Network has a lot of info but annoying editorials and reviews. Fandom Post is another one as well. They cover both anime and manga. Also, Sakura Anime News is kind of like Niche Gamer. They have this extensive stuff on Animegate. Pretty interesting stuff.

Thank you for this. Will check it out.

It's sad how Anime News Network has become SJW, it used to be a great site.

I used to really enjoy ANNcast before they all went SJW, Mike Toole was especially sad to see as I used to think he was a cool guy.

Where my Evangelion people at?

I plan on re-watching that sometime this year.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's sad how Anime News Network has become SJW, it used to be a great site.

I used to really enjoy ANNcast before they all went SJW, Mike Toole was especially sad to see as I used to think he was a cool guy.

I plan on re-watching that sometime this year.

Haven't they been shit for a long while? I remember about 7-9 years ago they tried brigading against scanlation groups that were translating manga that were not available in English. There excuse was "learn japanese".

John Blade

182.jpg

A new year which mean new year to watch anime. Just finish watching Wagnaria!! and like it so far. Nothing too crazy to say as it's basically a slice of life/comedy anime except this all happen in the restaurant where majority of the characters in the show are working there. The comedy come down to the weird stuff for each characters in the show and how they try to fix them. Very easy to watch and can see why people recommend this show to me when I need something to binge watching but don't want deep storyline. Will most likely go watch season 2 and 3 later on while I am going through other show.

bigedole

Well, I just finished rewatching Koe no Katachi and I am a literal wreck right now. I think it's my favorite anime movie. It's not as subtle as some but it really punches you in the feels.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
182.jpg

A new year which mean new year to watch anime. Just finish watching Wagnaria!! and like it so far. Nothing too crazy to say as it's basically a slice of life/comedy anime except this all happen in the restaurant where majority of the characters in the show are working there. The comedy come down to the weird stuff for each characters in the show and how they try to fix them. Very easy to watch and can see why people recommend this show to me when I need something to binge watching but don't want deep storyline. Will most likely go watch season 2 and 3 later on while I am going through other show.
Try the spin off. Its even better.

Yeah they are fine for news but their reviews are terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

petran79

Banned
?? its been over for years, its like asking were is my Akira, Iria, and Guyver people at. I mean I don't mind old anime, but theres a lot of new good stuff out.

First time I hear about the title Iria. Will check this out. Currently I am also watching Tenchi OVAs via Bluerays for the first time. It is difficult to catch up with popular series that were different in Europe and America.

Typhares

First time I hear about the title Iria. Will check this out. Currently I am also watching Tenchi OVAs via Bluerays for the first time. It is difficult to catch up with popular series that were different in Europe and America.

Iria is a dope old school anime, I'd also recommend Armitage III in that category!

Doom85

Well, I just finished rewatching Koe no Katachi and I am a literal wreck right now. I think it's my favorite anime movie. It's not as subtle as some but it really punches you in the feels.

Yeah, it's my favorite anime film too. It's funny, all my favorite anime movies actually aren't Ghibli: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, End of Evangelion, Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22, Your Name, The Night is Short Walk on Girl. Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy Ghibli films, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke in particular I think are excellent, but they just aren't any among my absolute favorites like most anime fans seem to do.

Jroderton: yeah, Eva's my 2nd favorite anime series after Cowboy Bebop (3-5 being FMA 03/Brotherhood, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. I know it's kinda cheating to put both FMAs in the #3 spot, but I admire what both bring to the table and I get annoyed when people don't simply say they don't like the 03 anime but flat out say it's "worthless" or "unimportant". Like, guys, the 2003 FMA got me, AND PLENTY OF OTHERS, really into anime in the first place, you can dislike it but don't be mean about it. I actually checked it out due to the show X-play, Adam and Morgan would make fun of the FMA fans who were mad at the two of them for giving the FMA video games low scores even though Adam and Morgan pointed out they were reviewing the games not the actual anime, and I was like, "this is a funny overreaction by this fanbase, but what actually is Fullmetal Alchemist?" Checked it out and the rest was history.

I mean, earlier in life, I had seen Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z, Monster Rancher and one other series (which I'll get to in a bit), but I just thought of them as Japanese cartoons/animation not having any clue how big the industry was. The next three anime I saw after FMA 03 were:

- Naruto (due to everyone going nuts over it online so checked it out)
- Evangelion (I literally had no idea what I was in for. After seeing FMA 03 and Naruto, I went to my Best Buy to see if they sold anime DVDs. After realizing I had no idea what would be good, I bought the complete DVD boxset of Eva on the basis of, "well, it looks sci-fi and this girl with the blue hair and girl with the brown hair look cute". I'd say that was a pretty lucky blind buy)
- Betterman (I'm curious how many even have ever heard of this one. This was the other series I mentioned I had seen some of before FMA 03, years ago I had a friend over and he was like, "dude, we gotta watch Sci Fi Channel tonight, they show these cool anime on Saturday nights!" and I was like, "err, okay." So we turned it on and this show Betterman was on, a mecha series with elements of horror and just weirdness (most likely took a little inspiration from Eva). We got up to about 3-4 AM (as they were just marathoning the whole series) and couldn't stay awake anymore but were mad as the last episode we caught ended on a tragic note. Plus this one scientist lady talked heavily in science lingo that it confused our early high school minds. So after never getting to see the rest of it, I saw the DVD boxset and bought it along with Eva, and hey now that I was older I could (mostly) understand what the scientist lady was saying! But it just makes me laugh, I wonder how many people can say when they started getting into anime that among their first five anime was something as weird and obscure as Betterman)

I still like Mike Toole, despite some of the nonsense he (re)tweets. Same with Paul Chapman. Despite both of them being a ANN cronies and the latter a brony. The Greatest Movie Ever podcast Paul does can be fun at times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom