• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

hecatomb

Banned
First time I hear about the title Iria. Will check this out. Currently I am also watching Tenchi OVAs via Bluerays for the first time. It is difficult to catch up with popular series that were different in Europe and America.
the sci-fi channel used to show anime back in the day, like Iria, lily cat, Akira, armitage the third, and ghost in the shell movie.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
First time I hear about the title Iria. Will check this out. Currently I am also watching Tenchi OVAs via Bluerays for the first time. It is difficult to catch up with popular series that were different in Europe and America.
its been out for years, some of the 1st anime I watched back then.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

Our local stations and vhs rental stores would have some scifi too like Locke the Superman, Andromeda Stories, Windaria, Nayuta, Hinotori 2772 cosmozone and mecha like Lazerion, Grendizer, Starzinger, Getter Robo, Voltes V etc. Classics too like Starblazers, Harlock, Polymar, Battle of the Planets etc
Dubs and translations were hit or miss

Most of those series are not as marketable today to newer fans due to the 70s and 80s style that differs from the more realistic style of Gundam and 90s series and OVA.

hecatomb

Banned
Our local stations and vhs rental stores would have some scifi too like Locke the Superman, Andromeda Stories, Windaria, Nayuta, Hinotori 2772 cosmozone and mecha like Lazerion, Grendizer, Starzinger, Getter Robo, Voltes V etc. Classics too like Starblazers, Harlock, Polymar, Battle of the Planets etc
Dubs and translations were hit or miss

Most of those series are not as marketable today to newer fans due to the 70s and 80s style that differs from the more realistic style of Gundam and 90s series and OVA.
We had the sci-fi channel, which showed anime. And I also had to rent it from blockbuster like Guyver and Ninjascroll

Last edited:

John Blade

As far as I remember, the show only gets better and provides satisfying arcs/development for the characters.
In the process to continue watching this show and also Patlabor series (going through the movie route).

Try the spin off. Its even better.
Is they actually a spin off after the 2nd and 3rd season? I need to look into that.

39796_1_large.jpg

Might throw in another anime I did watch this year (and before I watch Wagnaria!! ). Did watch Black Magic M-66 and feel like they should be more from this OVA. Kinda by the book of what you're expecting from Masamune Shirow. Great action scene when it's there, enough character development for the MC and some of the secondary one, and it's quick watch (enough to go through the OVA without feeling you're bored watching it). Might not be Masamune Shirow best work he created but it's quick to the point which is good if you want something quick to watch for a one time fling. Just wish they is more of this story (I guess it's better to go read the manga then).

Man....you're making me remember the golden time of anime for me (Iria is still a good anime now).

Last edited:
I still like Mike Toole, despite some of the nonsense he (re)tweets. Same with Paul Chapman. Despite both of them being a ANN cronies and the latter a brony. The Greatest Movie Ever podcast Paul does can be fun at times.

All their Twitters are the same sad NPC/SJW stock opinions.

Zac Bertschy is especially a huge SJW.

That is part of what's sad about SJWism is when it takes once normal people and turns them into brainwashed pod people.

39796_1_large.jpg

Might throw in another anime I did watch this year (and before I watch Wagnaria!! ). Did watch Black Magic M-66 and feel like they should be more from this OVA. Kinda by the book of what you're expecting from Masamune Shirow. Great action scene when it's there, enough character development for the MC and some of the secondary one, and it's quick watch (enough to go through the OVA without feeling you're bored watching it). Might not be Masamune Shirow best work he created but it's quick to the point which is good if you want something quick to watch for a one time fling. Just wish they is more of this story (I guess it's better to go read the manga then).

I always saw that OVA as his take on the Terminator. The wires they used to try and catch them always seemed like strange but interesting tech, conceptually. I wonder if it was based on some (then) new age concept he read about in a magazine or something.

hecatomb

Banned
In the process to continue watching this show and also Patlabor series (going through the movie route).

Is they actually a spin off after the 2nd and 3rd season? I need to look into that.

39796_1_large.jpg

Man....you're making me remember the golden time of anime for me (Iria is still a good anime now).
Theres always good anime, the thing is you have to look for it.

Last edited:

John Blade

I always saw that OVA as his take on the Terminator. The wires they used to try and catch them always seemed like strange but interesting tech, conceptually. I wonder if it was based on some (then) new age concept he read about in a magazine or something.
Now you mention it, it do have a take of the original Terminator as quite a few scene have a similar feeling from the movie. Still, it's a quick watch and enough action to keep you moving.

Theres always good anime, the thing is you have to look for it.

Yup, will throw in some here for people to go and watch if they never heard of it yet.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Watched the first episode of Dororo the other night. Furuhashi is a masterful director but MAPPA doesn't usually have the budget so I hope they can keep it up like that bridge scene.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Recently read through the entirety of Hunter x Hunter and... I am not a huge fan of it. Unpopular opinion time: I think Yu Yu Hakusho was a far better manga with better highs and less lows than HxH. There were some amazing moments, but they felt few and far between with HxH. Maybe the anime improves it (as I did prefer the anime to the manga for YYH).

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
HxH focuses more on world building so I can see how people might not be into it. Also its always on hiatus.

hecatomb

Banned
HxH focuses more on world building so I can see how people might not be into it. Also its always on hiatus.
he was too busy locked in his house with dragon quest x for months, then DQ 11 came out. I mean if all you watch is loli, eechi anime girls, then it might not be for you.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Watched Iria Zeiram OVAs. Indeed it was a quality sci-fi anime that had good story and animation. But since it is considered a prequel, I also watched the two Zeiram live action movies.

Simply masterpieces with very good use of traditional and digital effects, even using stop motion animation. Plenty of humor as well. Definitely deserve their cult status and they made me forget the OVAs pretty quick. Iria in the movies is so much cooler, in the anime she is a crybaby.

hecatomb

Banned
I don't remember Iria being a cry baby. She actually got mad quite a few times, were Fujikuro couldn't even calm her down. If anything she was pissed off the company tried to cover up what happened with zeiram.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I don't remember Iria being a cry baby. She actually got mad quite a few times, were Fujikuro couldn't even calm her down. If anything she was pissed off the company tried to cover up what happened with zeiram.

They had to give her the older brother complex but I do not think this was handled so well. While Iria of the movies is given a blank past without hints of a family. This was my only gripe with the OVA.

All their Twitters are the same sad NPC/SJW stock opinions.

Zac Bertschy is especially a huge SJW.

That is part of what's sad about SJWism is when it takes once normal people and turns them into brainwashed pod people.
Have you been following up on the latest gossip in ANN land with the false allegations and the AniMeToo list they're compiling?

Watched Dragon Ball Super Broly last night and give it a 9/10.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
They had to give her the older brother complex but I do not think this was handled so well. While Iria of the movies is given a blank past without hints of a family. This was my only gripe with the OVA.
you have a poor definition of the word cry baby. She was more angry then anything. Everyone was getting killed around her. Now compare that to other anime characters.

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

Do I need to show more characters crying when others die? I also don't understand the logic about how you care about someone makes you a "crybaby"

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
In the 2 movies she did not shed a single tear, yet cared in saving the 2 guys at the cost of losing her license, even though she was not oblidged by her laws. Worked perfectly. It was the two electricians who screamed and cried and wanted a hot bath afterwards. It was very funny overall. Movies were produced earlier than the ova and I'd have preferred that stoic character instead

hecatomb

Banned
In the 2 movies she did not shed a single tear, yet cared in saving the 2 guys at the cost of losing her license, even though she was not oblidged by her laws. Worked perfectly. It was the two electricians who screamed and cried and wanted a hot bath afterwards. It was very funny overall. Movies were produced earlier than the ova and I'd have preferred that stoic character instead
I think you just like characters that have 0 personality, and 0 emotion. Just image if Goku watched Krillin die, and was like "oh well who cares, my best friend died that I've known for years, but who cares." Just image if every anime character did that. The live action movies are ok, they are just cheesy B-movies, and part 2 I think turned her into a power ranger.

Also she never screamed or cried about taking a bath, she was talking to her self about walking to take a bath.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I think you just like characters that have 0 personality, and 0 emotion. Just image if Goku watched Krillin die, and was like "oh well who cares, my best friend died that I've known for years, but who cares." Just image if every anime character did that. The live action movies are ok, they are just cheesy B-movies, and part 2 I think turned her into a power ranger.

Deunan Knute is one of my favorite women characters, but I hate Makoto Kusanagi.
Havent watched Dragon Ball actually and judging from the number of episodes, probably never will.For male leads I prefer characters that are real assholes sometimes like Joe Yabuki and Jotaro Kujo or even Kenshiro. In the Jojo 1993 OVA they made Jotaro shed tears, something that never hapenned in the manga.

hecatomb

Banned
Deunan Knute is one of my favorite women characters, but I hate Makoto Kusanagi.
Havent watched Dragon Ball actually and judging from the number of episodes, probably never will.For male leads I prefer characters that are real assholes sometimes like Joe Yabuki and Jotaro Kujo or even Kenshiro. In the Jojo 1993 OVA they made Jotaro shed tears, something that never hapenned in the manga.
actually he cares about people, he pretends not to. Wait though since he cares about people I guess that makes him a cry baby. Pretty much every anime character cares about someone that they know dies, so I guess that makes them all cry babies. Even Guts and Jojo, some of the manliest characters in anime have people they care about, and even fall in love. So I still dont understand your logic.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
actually he cares about people, he pretends not to. Wait though since he cares about people I guess that makes him a cry baby. Pretty much every anime character cares about someone that they know dies, so I guess that makes them all cry babies. Even Guts and Baki, some of the manliest characters in anime have people they care about. So I still dont understand your logic.

You can do that without shedding tears and screaming. Eg in the second movie when the Zeiram killed all those hired thugs, she just punched it out of anger saying this was not help but a massacre. This is the way I prefer it.

hecatomb

Banned
You can do that without shedding tears and screaming. Eg in the second movie when the Zeiram killed all those hired thugs, she just punched it out of anger saying this was not help but a massacre. This is the way I prefer it.
Who wants a character that cares about no one, shows they care about no one? Maybe thats what you want, but it shows they just don't care about anything but them self. She only yelled and shed a tear like 1 time so what? You act like she cries every ep, which she doesn't, every anime character like ever gets mad or cries when someone they know dies. Your logic doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Have you been following up on the latest gossip in ANN land with the false allegations and the AniMeToo list they're compiling?

Watched Dragon Ball Super Broly last night and give it a 9/10.

Yes, SJWs are trying to ruin anime fandom and turn into the typical nightmare where everyone has to walk on eggshells all the time.

There's not a single thing SJWs don't want to ruin.

Last edited:
SJW can't control anime also, since its in Japan, and I love it.
Looking at the Shield Hero threads in MAL, the SJW's have shifted from "Shield Hero normalizes slavery and misogyny" to "Naofumi is engaging in torture, Raphatlia has masochistic tendencies, and they're engaging in a sadomasochistic relationship".

hecatomb

Banned
Looking at the Shield Hero threads in MAL, the SJW's have shifted from "Shield Hero normalizes slavery and misogyny" to "Naofumi is engaging in torture, Raphatlia has masochistic tendencies, and they're engaging in a sadomasochistic relationship".
I might shield hero sometime, right now i was reincarnated as a slime is just too good right now. Since goblin slayer was a complete let down.

I might shield hero sometime, right now i was reincarnated as a slime is just too good right now. Since goblin slayer was a complete let down.

I thought Goblin Slayer was alright. It wasn't as impactful as the manga, but it ended strongly. Slime is definitely a great isekai.

petran79

Banned
Who wants a character that cares about no one, shows they care about no one? Maybe thats what you want, but it shows they just don't care about anything but them self. She only yelled and shed a tear like 1 time so what? You act like she cries every ep, which she doesn't, every anime character like ever gets mad or cries when someone they know dies. Your logic doesn't make any sense.

this character below cares all about money and does not bother whether her faithfull helper gets tortured or killed, yet she is one of the most iconic characters! In shonen at least. But it depends on the genre and the theme. For comedy it can work. For drama not so much, though I do not mind personally. Anime offers plenty of options and characters for everyone fortunately.

latest

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
this character below cares all about money and does not bother whether her faithfull helper gets tortured or killed, yet she is one of the most iconic characters! In shonen at least. But it depends on the genre and the theme. For comedy it can work. For drama not so much, though I do not mind personally. Anime offers plenty of options and characters for everyone fortunately.

latest
Ghost Sweeper Mikami was a good ass show and the movie was a great closing to the series. Considered reading the manga and maybe Zettai Karen Children but...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So the ex Kemono Friends people are doing an adaptation to something very meh and Kemono Friends S2 is turning out to be even more mediocre. Mahou Shoujo Tokushen Asuka is another edgy Mahou anime. Kaguya is ok-ish so far but man this season physically hurts.

hecatomb

Banned

latest
It just seems more like a comedy, and not trying to take anything serious. Unlike Iria, which is more on the serious side. Also like I said, pretty much any anime character cares about someone who dies they get mad, or care. That doesn't make a character a cry baby.

Last edited:

Sakura

Eh, I somewhat enjoy Shield Hero having read the manga that is out (too many light novels to read to add this one), but I will be honest the slavery does bother me, and I don't really like Naofumi.
It's like the author just has a slave fetish or something.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Guys remember when Krillin got blown up and Goku didn't even cry? Even for his best friend but instead became stronger over it thru anger? But then he very calmly tells his son to leave the planet entirely. I think this is when I stopped liking DB as a series honestly.

Gon on the other hand threw away his life selfishly in front of his best friend in a second over a person he barely had any interaction with and cried in despair afterwards. Knowing full well he had used up his life force to avenge Kite.

Top Bottom