• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Doom85

Is anybody of you building Gunpla? I saw an OT2 but it's archieved.

I have all the Build Fighters Try Gunpla……..of the ladies.

(mild NSFW on the last pic)

xWRvVwe.jpg
8bm7Ecl.jpg
8cNgtzB.jpg

Err……

Embarrassed Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Yeah, I know even those these are technically model kits, they’re not what most fans have in mind when they ask that question.

Anyway……

I got these as gifts from my friends who said they would help me build them as they know how extremely anxious I get when it comes to stuff like this (Christ, just putting my Nendoroids together puts me on edge, yeah I don’t have the most steady hands, LOL) and I’ve never built a Gunpla before, but scheduling and whatnot we’ve just never got around to it. But hey, they’re in my possession, and will be built one day!

Exede

I have all the Build Fighters Try Gunpla……..of the ladies.

(mild NSFW on the last pic)

xWRvVwe.jpg
8bm7Ecl.jpg
8cNgtzB.jpg

Err……

Embarrassed Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Yeah, I know even those these are technically model kits, they’re not what most fans have in mind when they ask that question.

Anyway……

I got these as gifts from my friends who said they would help me build them as they know how extremely anxious I get when it comes to stuff like this (Christ, just putting my Nendoroids together puts me on edge, yeah I don’t have the most steady hands, LOL) and I’ve never built a Gunpla before, but scheduling and whatnot we’ve just never got around to it. But hey, they’re in my possession, and will be built one day!
Really cool!
That's one of my kits i built last year. Customized PG 1/60 Astray

Ok... pic upload dont wants the Astray. I uploaded PG Strike Freedom instead
kpuZC4L.jpg

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
vt5AQiX.jpg

The good thing about not having watched much anime for well over a decade is that there's a lot of great stuff to choose from. I just started Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! (2012) and so far this show is hilarious. I like the main character, the main female lead is adorable and her sister as her opposite so far is equally great. I'm only a couple of episodes in but so far it's at the same level of quality as Sound! Euphonium, Violet Evergarden and Miss Kobayashi for me.

Labolas

New Berserk chapter,
Adam Cole Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING
.The art is still fucking great and we got to see a bit of Casca's perspective. I'm fucking hyped to see where this goes.

images

Also finished Dragon Head. A manga from 90's. I won't spend that much time on it going over the plot and such. I'll just say that the disaster/survival manga. It focuses on a high schooler who gets trapped in a mountain tunnel/subway and chaos ensues from there. I have to say it was thrilling to read chapter to chapter and a lot of scenery and imagery were pretty detailed and great to look at but man, everything else wasn't that good. The characters themselves are very rough to look at, it isn't bad but I wouldn't be lying if I said I didn't care for the designs of the characters. Also while the mysterious what caused the apocalyptic event but you can easily guess it's either one or two things that kickstart it. And spoilers but the manga never directly states what exactly caused the event.
Although it was hinted at that a terrorist group was feeding on nuclear contaminated food and may have caused the event, I think, lol.
So if you're expecting some sort of twist of some kind, yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up high for one. One thing was kinda annoying was the translation for the manga. It was pretty rough, although it's not the first time I've seen a translation get kinda butchered. The characters themselves are decent enough although I can see how people would get annoyed with how they react to certain situations and how they survive from them. Also the ending was kinda bad and was left to be open ended. At the end, I enjoyed reading Dragon Head but looking back on it, it has a lot of issues. 6/10 (finished)
i363620.jpg

LordOfChaos

Is anyone watching Vinland Saga S2?

Holy hell, if you told me after the action of season 1, I'd be even MORE compelled by very little action and people yelling at each other on a farm, I'd have thought you were nuts, but the character development I think has already outdone most anime, even only being two seasons. Like, I'm reminded most of this being like a Victorian tragedy novel. And a very smartly written anti-violence piece despite using some ultraviolence to get there.

S02e17 was just so much emotional damage

ddurfk1-7076c959-18eb-4152-b0b3-e9c8bc116fe4.jpg

Holy hell, if you told me after the action of season 1, I'd be even MORE compelled by very little action and people yelling at each other on a farm, I'd have thought you were nuts, but the character development I think has already outdone most anime, even only being two seasons. Like, I'm reminded most of this being like a Victorian tragedy novel. And a very smartly written anti-violence piece despite using some ultraviolence to get there.

Started it but then dropped it. Didn’t like the first season much either.

I’m enjoying Hells Paradise, I like the art style and the violence is satisfying.

Edit.
Really liked part 1 of Gundam Witch from Mercury , haven’t watch any of part 2 but am definitely looking forward to it. Really like the character designs here too.

Last edited:

Labolas

Yeah, Vinland S2 is fantastic. Easily one of my favorites and best of the season. Unfortunately or fortunately, the suspense was killing me and I decide to read where the last episode left off and boy, I really appreciate where it went with the story. And the art is fan-fucking-tastic.

iu

iu

Speaking of manga, I started reading Lessons of Evil. If you like a manipulative and evil protag then check out the manga.

GymWolf

Does the kengan ashura anime on netflix cut a lot of the manga or i can just watch the 2 seasons and continue with the manga with no problem?

thanks.

Last edited:

drganon

Finished watching hi score girl. Even as someone who doesn't play fighting games, I really enjoyed it. Started watching serial project lain in addition to the various new shows I watch. I tried watching it years ago, but I stopped for whatever reason.

Doom85

LET’S ALL LOVE LAIN
LET’S ALL LOVE LAIN
LET’S ALL LOVE LAIN
LET’S ALL LOVE LAIN

serial experiments lain GIF
serial experiments lain GIF

For those who didn’t hear about this:

Honestly, while I do feel for the staff who have to sort this out, as far as cyberattacks this is seemingly one of the more humorous and harmless ones. Maybe the hacker(s) did try to get personal info and failed, but we have no way of knowing, and since everyone’s info is apparently secure this could easily just have been a funny prank.

Though why in May? If they had waited two months, specifically to July 6, this would have been an insane 25th anniversary surprise for the series.

jOafhdb.gif

I just read it. Good stuff. But it was confusing, I thought those two would fight right then and there, but it looks like they agreed on a later time, hence the reunion with Yuji and the others?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kinda sad JJK is ending considering it's one of the few Shounen Jump series that's actually impressed me in recent years. It's got issues but when it hit it did go the fuck in.

Looking forward to the Shibuya arc blowing domes off from anime only watchers.

Kurotri

I just read it. Good stuff. But it was confusing, I thought those two would fight right then and there, but it looks like they agreed on a later time, hence the reunion with Yuji and the others?
I think you are referencing chapter 221? I'm talking about 222 :D

Kinda sad JJK is ending considering it's one of the few Shounen Jump series that's actually impressed me in recent years. It's got issues but when it hit it did go the fuck in.

Looking forward to the Shibuya arc blowing domes off from anime only watchers.
I had my issues with the Culling Game arc but I feel like as soon as it ended it got its former strength back, and now it's going mach speed towards the end. Dunno how to feel about it, I just hope he sticks the ending and of course the big fight that's been hyped up since the beginning of the series.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I had my issues with the Culling Game arc but I feel like as soon as it ended it got its former strength back, and now it's going mach speed towards the end. Dunno how to feel about it, I just hope he sticks the ending and of course the big fight that's been hyped up since the beginning of the series.
It was pretty much filling a gap until he could get to what we wanted in the first place. Was the arc good? No. But it wasn't bad by any means but the pacing is going fast now but ending this year? He still has like 7 months and that's what like... 30 chapters?

drganon

Almost done watching serial experiments lain. I've enjoyed it, but I don't think it's for everyone. Also watching mashle and new season of Gundam witch from mercury.

Labolas

As mentioned in my last post, I finished Lessons of Evil about a week or two ago.
iu

The story focuses on a high school teacher, Seiji Hasumi. A teacher that is incredibly charismatic, handsome, athletic and overall a nice teacher. But this is only a mask for him, a facade. He's really a manipulative psychopath. And his goal is to create the perfect highschool, his highschool. And man, the story builds from there. Following his way through lies, manipulations, and murders. Characters do piece what's happening but it seems either Hasumi was incredibly sloppy or it was mere happenstance that a character finding out different clues. A lot of the students get introduced to be only really killed off, which is a problem. I will say that it gets pretty over the top in the latter half during preparation of the school festival but that could turn some people off with how close it comes to reality. Overall though, I did enjoy reading this manga even though it has some problems. 7/10 (finished)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So, I was looking for some classy anime to watch. I started a new series. Vermeil in Gold. I've only seen one episode so far but it's pretty compelling. It's like Harry Potter with a giant titted demon girl in a virgin killer top. I will continue with the series and report back.

drganon

Finished watching lain. Good but trippy series. Now I'm in the midst of watching half a dozen shows. Rewatching kon and started watching Love, chunbiyo, and other delusions, Nichijou, gundam witch from mercury season 2 and continuing to watch mashle. Probably forgetting another one or two.

Labolas

Caught up on reading Battle Angel Alita: MC. I forgot how fuck up the universe can be and people literally murder children. And also how much German and techno jargon in this. Like holy shit, Kishiro loovves having that in his dialogue so much. Also the releases and hiatuses can rival Berserk with how infrequent the releases are. Glad I took a year and half break from reading it, it reads so much better than reading a chapter at a time.

-Zelda-

Banned
Took a 10 year break from anime, so I do not know where to start back up. Who is still acting, what is finished and on sale at amazon U.S website, and if said anime has a proper anime conclusion. Don't like that long form stuff like Dragon Ball that has like 400 episodes, and I don't want some story that ends on a non ending that tells you go to read the manga or light novel if you want to see the ending.

Last edited:
Caught up with Berserk, Made In The Abyss and The Land of Lustrous on the manga front

I'm going to start catching up on My Hero Academia, One Piece, Rent A Girlfriend, My Dress Up Darling, Blood on the Tracks, etc

i have alot of ongoing: Berserk, Made In The Abyss, Chainsaw Man, Boruto, Gleipner, Dandadan, The Land of the Lustrous

The next completed manga I'm reading is Dr Stone

Doom85

Caught up with Berserk, Made In The Abyss and The Land of Lustrous on the manga front

I'm going to start catching up on My Hero Academia, One Piece, Rent A Girlfriend, My Dress Up Darling, Blood on the Tracks, etc

i have alot of ongoing: Berserk, Made In The Abyss, Chainsaw Man, Boruto, Gleipner, Dandadan, The Land of the Lustrous

The next completed manga I'm reading is Dr Stone

From what I understand, Land of the Lustrous seems to be heading to the ending so I’m waiting for that to start reading. Really hoping when Studio Orange finishes Trigun, they go back to LotL, the first season was so great.

land of the lustrous diamond GIF by HIDIVE

I finished Gleipnir, which I loved. It was short and sweet. Love the visual style especially

I'm up to date on Blood On The Tracks. Man I feel bad for the main, he can't catch a break.

I'm up to date on Boruto, getting interesting

I'm up to date on Dandadan, gettting good

I'm up to date on Chainsaw Man. I'm interested in seeing where t his manga goes next and what's the big plan will be for it's final arc

Right now, I'm catching up on My Hero Academia, I'm on chapter 344. The manga is just good, I don't think it's great. It has it's boring moments.

Next Manga I'm planning on reading

Dr Stone
Food Wars
Hunter X Hunter
Tenmaku Cinema
Samurai 8
Redo of Healer
Rent-A-Girlfriend
My Dress Up Darling
Hell's Paradise
One Piece
Welcome To The Ballroom
Deadman Wonderland
Tokyo Ghoul
Kaguya Sama Love Is War
Zombie 100
Domestic Girlfriend
Fairy Tail
World's End Harem
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Spy X Family
The Seven Deadly Sins
Choujin X
Bamboo Blade

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if there are anymore 4k hdr transfers like Ghost in the Shell and Akira please? I'm more of a fan of the older 1980s - 1990s Manga.

Can anyone tell me if there are anymore 4k hdr transfers like Ghost in the Shell and Akira please? I'm more of a fan of the older 1980s - 1990s Manga.
These searches on Blu-Ray.com & Amazon.co.jp will give you a good idea of what 4K titles are currently available in the US and Japan.

In terms of additional, older anime in 4K actively available on the US market: Lupin: Castle of Cogliostro; Robot Carnival; Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise; and Space Adventure Cobra The Movie. Depending on how you feel about things, Transformers The Movie (1986) is also available.

Last edited:
These searches on Blu-Ray.com & Amazon.co.jp will give you a good idea of what 4K titles are currently available in the US and Japan.

In terms of additional older anime actively available on the US market: Lupin: Castle of Cogliostro; Robot Carnival; Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise; and Space Adventure Cobra The Movie. Depending on how you feel about things, Transformers The Movie (1986) is also available.
Thank you I appreciate the reply. I love Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star, Guyver and so many more.

Mopey bloke

Took a 10 year break from anime, so I do not know where to start back up. Who is still acting, what is finished and on sale at amazon U.S website, and if said anime has a proper anime conclusion. Don't like that long form stuff like Dragon Ball that has like 400 episodes, and I don't want some story that ends on a non ending that tells you go to read the manga or light novel if you want to see the ending.
Last decade wasn't too great about concluding adaptations. But you can also sort MAL by anime originals. Those they have to finish [mostly]. You can also try to ask for complete stories on r/anime.

-Zelda-

Banned
Is it ok to like controversial actors when it comes to voice actors? I heard about all that internal BS at Funimation and that was a rabbit hole I should have stayed out of. Hindsight.

Got to Chapter 102 in Dr Stone

Fantastic manga

They built a boat to get to this item on this island that will help to unpetrify the whole human population

Last edited:
I know there's at least 2 people here who care about this so here ya go.

June 17th

A week before FFXVI, I'm gonna need to learn how to speed read or something

Last edited:
This is not the first time the english version of an anime song was made officially by Japanese publisher, but this is different, I think I actually like this one.

Japanese version

English version

Top Bottom