• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Doom85

Finished Spirit Circle (6 volumes) recently.

HQFw9Hc.jpg

Really solid. The main character, Fuuta, is a high school student when a new girl named Kouko transfers into his class. Fuuta can see spirits, and he sees a spirit of a strangely dressed man following Kouko. When she realizes Fuuta can see the man (East), she is furious. She gradually reveals she and Fuuta have gone through many lives via reincarnation and that in one of Fuuta’s lives he did something insanely horrendous that can never be forgiven and has marked all their following reincarnations to end in tragedy. Fuuta gains access to a Spirit Circle that lets him bear witness to all his prior lives, and the life that Kouko shows utter hatred towards will be the last. Once he has born witness to them all and knows the truth about what he once did, Kouko makes it clear to him that she intends to kill him.

One of my favorite aspects was some of the lives we get to see, all are interesting, but some in particular do make you really feel like you bore witness to a full life (albeit abridged) in a lot of unique locales and time periods. The knight/witch one, the carpenter/Egyptian one, and the Sleeping Tower one were my favorites.

It does get mildly action Shonen-y towards the end, but without betraying the tone of the series IMHO. And the ending is pretty satisfying.

Next, starting what is supposed to be one of the GOAT shojo titles, NANA:

iWpwjiY.jpg

I’m a little way into Vol. 2, pretty interesting so far. I’ve heard Nana K. (the light haired one) will test your patience with decisions based on emotion over logic, but I know it’s supposed to deliberately written that way to show it‘s better to try to be patient when finding love as opposed to overlooking or be forgiving of manipulation or cruelty. Nano O. (the dark haired one) is supposed to be more level headed in comparison, and she’s definitely pretty cool in comparison. Shame it’s not a Yuri manga as I’ve heard lots of people say the two leads would clearly be happier with each other than some of the guys in their lives.

I know the manga has been on “hiatus” for like well over a decade due to the mangaka’s health issues. But I’ve heard most say it’s still worth the journey despite the lack of closure. There’s been rumors she might get well enough to come back as she did like some single page promotional art or something like that recently, but obviously her health, and any mangaka‘s health, should be top priority so hopefully she doesn’t force it and only comes back if her health can truly take it.

Also, Goodbye Eri (by Chainsaw Man’s Tatsuki Fujimoto) released in the English physical volume last week, so I’ll be reading that this week for sure. Look Back was an excellent one-shot he also did, and of course Chainsaw Man is fucking incredible, so I’m definitely looking forward to this.

I finished Tengoku Daimakyo. Turned really dark in Episode 12. Fantastic anime. I ended up reading the manga and am alp caught up.

I got to Chapter 114 in Dr Stone manga

I just got to Episode 9 in Mobile Suit Gundam The Witch From Mercury. Another excellent show

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I've been watching Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World because I'm a pervert and i gotta say... Outside of the smut scenes this show is boring as hell.

Just watched Fate/strange Fake: Whispers of Dawn and that was 55 minutes of pure Nasu + Ryogo Narita autism and I'm telling you this shit was awesome and I'm so happy that TV series of it was just announced.

Also, this song fucking SLAPS

Suzume: B+

Still a really good movie but I prefer Weathering For You and Your Name more.

Suzume has good animation and is beautiful to look at but the plot was kind of cliché. Not to mention I wasn't feeling the romance at all between the 2 main

GLcpfEl.jpg

Labolas

Finished Vinland Saga Season 2. Boy, what an emotional ride. This definitely up there as the best of the season. As I mentioned in previous posts, in some ways, I thought this was way better than season 1. This season deals with the psychosis of Thornfinn being a child soldier and a slave. So you can expect that this season was more methodical and slow paced than the season prior. So we had more of dialogue heavy scenes and some static shots of characters talking. And we saw the development of Canute as well and his struggles with his own philosophy and being king of the vikings and England. I will also give Mappa props for the music and the voice work because holy shit, did they really hit. I didn't realize the season ended at 24 episodes so I was expecting another episode, but what I got was fucking great and felt like a season finale. Overall 9/10.

Other than that, I got back on Hell's Paradise and catching up on that. It's okay, it isn't amazing, and in some ways have a typical plotline of a SJ manga. Well, at least OP is a banger.

Manga wise, I've been reading Task Force for Paranormal Disaster Management by the mangaka of Btoom! (also on the list btw). It's about a kaijuu attacking ships in East Asia Sea. Things evolve from there. Although I do like this manga, I will say I'm not the biggest fan of hoe characters are drawn here and I think that's the weaker part of this series. Along with how some of the characters are written, some of them feel very boiler plate and not that much depth to them. Also this is very much a pro JSDF manga, which honestly one of the better aspects of the manga. Also the kaijuu/s themselves is drawn really well and looks very distinct. There's a lot of bureaucratic conversations in this as well that reminds me of Shin Godzilla. Another positive is the page count. It's pretty big and the dialogue can get lengthy as well. This is another one I will keep my eye on since I love my kaijuus.
iu

iu

Doom85

Reign of the Seven Spellblades

Yoooooo, J.C. Staff actually has a good looking anime coming out? A Harry Potter-style series with some magic, mystery, and the animation, even of the monsters (which is usually where the animation gets rough in some fantasy anime) looks pretty good? Well then.

Tell Deon Cole GIF by Team Coco

The story and characters might end up nothing that special, but hey, if it’s at least fairly fun, color me intrigued.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
well the next Gundam looks different, happy to return to the Zeon front of the 1 year war of course.

director made 40k fan animations before being picked up for this, potentially a very interesting outcome... only issue is it seems to feature a single speaking role which makes me think all action very little dialog so closer to a fan animation with a proper studio behind it.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Total disconnect from S1 and S2 of Witch of Mercury has killed that series for me.
Yeah it's not a series I'd recommend. First season was a total boring slog for me and I thought about dropping it many times until the last episode hit. Then I waited a little bit and binged 8 episodes of S2 and thoroughly enjoyed it, thinking how obvious it is that there'll be a sequel. As it turns out they rushed the shit out of it and gave it a forgettable ending. Almost feels like wasted time, this show had immense potential.

I've started several anime this season, knowing I will not be able to follow them all, but eh, there's not a lot to do during work. Here's my 1-2 episode reviews!

Am I Actually the Strongest? - Trash Isekai nº1. Super cookie cutter. Average in all aspects. For when there's nothing going on. Might drop it if it doesn't pick up soon.

Dark Gathering - Intriguing. Seems it's going to be one of those "monster of the week" anime. The way they jump from horror to cringe comedy makes my head spin. Not a fan of how cutesy the main character is, she seems out of a Disgaea game.

Helck - I think I will enjoy this one. Seems stupid as hell but in a good way. I like how the demons seem to have a better society than the humans. The main character design is dumb enough to make you chuckle. It's somewhere between Conan and the Handsome Superman meme.

Jujutsu Kaisen 2 - A prequel? Lame. I hate, hate, hate the rotoscoping. Reminds me of Aku no Hana. The chemistry between the main leads is great tho.

My Unique Skill Makes Me Op Even At Level 1 - Trash Isekai nº2. Even more cookie cutter, but somehow more enjoyable than Strongest. The main character being absolutely useless apart from his moneymaking abilities is somewhat original I guess?

Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon - Trash Isekai nº3. The first episode seemed interesting as it's a novel premise, but the second episode was mid as fuck. I'm not sure the "HEY THE MC IS A VENDING MACHINE HOW ZANY" hook will keep me hooked for long.

Reign of the Seven Spellblades - Seems pretty generic, but I've really liked the main characters and the setting. The first episode gives me vibes somewhere between Harry Potter, Scarlet Nexus and Trails of Cold Steel. Will see where it goes.

Rurouni Kenshin Remake - Hmm. Torn about this one. Seems to be faithful to the original work, which is good, but the original OST was fire emoji and the new one doesn't tickle my pickle the same way. It doesn't shy away from showing blood, which is good, and the fight scenes look great.

Zoom 100 - The surprise. The main character is literally me, he'd rather live in a zombie apocalypse than go to work. The first 10 minutes were haunting, the art is beautiful, the OST is great... might be my favourite this season.

And when there are no new episodes from any those, I'm currently catching on:

Hell's Paradise - My favourite from the complete series I'm following. Everything about it is so high quality. Mappa delivers.

Handyman Saitou in Another World - Trash Isekai nº4. Might be my current favourite of the Trash Isekai team, if only because it's different. I love the main cast. I don't love the "video yonkoma" format, but it's OK. Most of the humour in the series is aces, but some of it might be a bit too... out there for me.

Fire Force - Eh. I'm watching it because I started it and I generally don't drop shows unless they're outright bad. Fire Force is not bad at all. It does everything right. It just... lacks a hook for me, I guess. Won't rock my world, but it's enjoyable.

The Dangers in My Heart - Still not hooked on this one. I don't mind the "Generic (or "weird") guy meets School Idol" (loved My Dress-up Darling and Komi-san, and I also like Nagatoro) but I don't find the pairing cute: the MC needs some serious help and the girl is too... well, too braindead.

Tengoku Daimakyo - This one took some time to click with me, but 4-5 episodes in it finally did. The art is beautiful as fuck, and the setting is intriguing. The action is top-notch though, even if there's not a lot of it. For some reason it reminds me of a better Land of the Lustrous (one of the few anime I've dropped; it was way too dense and pretentious for my tastes).

I might be biting more than I can chew though... I'm getting too old for this shit.

drganon

Finished watching Mashle and love chunibyo & other delusions.

Currently watching Nichijou and rewatching k- on. Took a break from Gundam witch and uncle from another world.

I wanna get back into anime watching. Any recommendations, any genre, are welcome. I'm eyeing Sword Art Online for starters. At some point I wish to get into Dragon Ball Z but unsure which version to watch...do I start from the OG Dragon Ball or can I jump right into DBZ?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Jujutsu Kaisen 2 - A prequel? Lame. I hate, hate, hate the rotoscoping. Reminds me of Aku no Hana. The chemistry between the main leads is great tho.

Not for the full season, it's also probably the second best arc in the series. This is only 8 episodes then the reason of season is the Shibuya Incident and if you're anime only you're not gonna be ready.

Btw Hell's Paradise had a lot of production issues, I watched it and it's like... A 6/10, I sorta like it but it's not great. Still puzzled by MAPPA praise in 2023.

I wanna get back into anime watching. Any recommendations, any genre, are welcome. I'm eyeing Sword Art Online for starters. At some point I wish to get into Dragon Ball Z but unsure which version to watch...do I start from the OG Dragon Ball or can I jump right into DBZ?
I think you sould start with OG Dragon Ball, if you jump right into DBZ there's a lot of things you won't understand or will be spoiled by. OG DB is more a fun adventure than a non-stop battle shonen, it has a lot of hilarious moments and sets up the world and character relationships that DBZ uses as a starting point to become its own thing.

I recommend:
Vinland Saga: vikings era, great story about the cycle of war and madness of violence, and whether one can move beyond that.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: crazy shonen series, unique and incredibly creative, charismatic characters, very influential series
Ashita no Joe 2: an old anime, a landmark of the medium, very influential, impeccable writing and masterful direction, memorable characters and unforgettable drama

I think you sould start with OG Dragon Ball, if you jump right into DBZ there's a lot of things you won't understand or will be spoiled by. OG DB is more a fun adventure than a non-stop battle shonen, it has a lot of hilarious moments and sets up the world and character relationships that DBZ uses as a starting point to become its own thing.

I recommend:
Vinland Saga: vikings era, great story about the cycle of war and madness of violence, and whether one can move beyond that.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: crazy shonen series, unique and incredibly creative, charismatic characters, very influential series
Ashita no Joe 2: an old anime, a landmark of the medium, very influential, impeccable writing and masterful direction, memorable characters and unforgettable drama
Thanks for the reply and recommendations

-Minsc-

Mushi-shi. Just look at my avatar and don't look back.

Labolas

Didn't know Hell's Paradise S1 ended at 12 episodes. It was...... okay, I guess. I feel like this was definitely on the weaker end of Mappa's works. Even the animation wasn't that great. A lot of plain and boring shots for action scenes. The characters aren't really that great either. I never really gave a shit about Gabimaru's plight at all. Even the reveal of the baddies was pretty standard. I will say when the Tensen (the baddies of the show) become their final form, it's very reminiscent of Nier/Darkengard, which I liked. But besides, that and the OP, this was very forgettable and isn't much to talk about in terms real positives. (5.5-6/10)

Some of the better shots of the series:
XsFLrI.gif

TPaPVc.gif

Edit: S2 got confirmed as well.
Shonen: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Summertime Rendering, Spy X Family
Seinen: Vinland Saga, Cyperpunk Edgerunners, Megalobox
Slice of Life: Bocchi the Rock, Asabi Asabase
Fanservice: Keijo, GATE, Interspecies Reviewers, Kill La Kill
Mystery: Ergo Proxy, Monster
Older/Retro: Blue Seed, Nadesico, Gokudo, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Been a while since I last posted something but since I like making summaries, here's a few anime I watched recently that I can recommend. At least if you like the genre :)

Rgal18w.jpg

First up is Non Non Biyori. There is no real story in this. It's just a group of girls, who are the only students in their entire school, who go about their lives in the countryside of Japan. Swimming in the river, catching bugs, lighting sparklers, visiting the candystore, having a snowball fight, anyone who's nostalgic for their younger years, or who just wanna watch a comfy show, I highly recommend this. Like Laid Back Camp and Miss Kobayashi, it's a show where you can just watch a few random episoide and have a smile on your face the entire time. There's 3 seasons plus a movie, that all take place during the same schoolyear. Highly recommend.

qsS1fSw.jpg

Like the previous show, Girls Last Tour is also a slice of life show where we follow a couple of girls during their everyday lives. The difference is, their lives take place in a postapocalyptic world where they are 2 of the last remaining survivors on the planet. It can be a very comforting show at time, but at the same time it's depressing as fuck. The atmosphere and music in this show are Nier Automata-tier. I'm sure it's not a show for everyone but it's still one I can recommend as you won't find anything like it.

LntyHxH.jpg

Looking for Magical Doremi is about 3 young women who form a friendship over their shared love for a 20 year old anime and who help eachother overcome their struggles. There's lots of recognizable things and situations for anyone who's ever been to an anime convention or something like that. I didn't know this beforehand but apparently Magical Doremi is actually a real anime from 2 decades ago, so I guess there's bonuspoints for anyone who's seen that.

GCDi04q.jpg

Sing a Bit of Harmony was a movie I didn't know anything about beforehand, but it turned out to be a nice little surprise. It's hard to describe what it's about without spoiling anything, but yeah, just know that it's more about AI than it is about singing. :p

nMJwVRh.jpg

And finally Oshi no Ko. Among the cosplay community, this was last season's big hit, and from the official artwork I figured this would be this years My Dress-Up Darling. Cute, bubbly main character in all kinds of cute outfits. Yeah, I was wrong about that. The first episode is almost the length of a feature film and it means business. While it does have plenty of funny and lighthearted moments, this show has a pretty grim overarching story and gives us a pretty realistic look behind the scenes of the Japanese entertainment industry. Looking forward to the second season!

For now I'm finishing Insomniacs After School first though, and then I'm gonna look into this season's anime.

Doom85

Okay, I’m really hoping more people check out Undead Murder Farce as it definitely feels like a show destined to be a dark horse of this season.

Taking place near the end of the 1800’s, in a version of history where demons and supernatural creatures are commonplace, Tsugaru is a half demon living in Japan when he is approached by a maid named Shizuku. However, Shizuku is merely the mistress for her master, a demon woman named Aya who was beheaded and had her body stolen by said assailant but due to being immortal, her head still fully functions and can talk and such. She requests Tsugaru’s help in tracking down her body and her assailant, who it turns out based on the description is the same man who injected Tsugaru years ago and made him half-demon (and the description of this mystery man’s cane might ring a few bells for fans of a certain classical literature series…)

While the first episode is mostly intro for the characters, with episode two and beyond it becomes an engaging detective series as the trio travel to Europe and first begin solving a murder for a family of vampires, and it’s soon established other figures of quite a few classical European literature and such exist in this reality. The characters are witty and engaging, the first mystery is engaging and keeps you guessing, and the directing by veteran director Shinichi Omata makes the episodes fly by, I was constantly caught off guard by the ED playing as each 20 minutes felt like only 10 minutes I was so interested in what happens next.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
MAPPA did try with the Gojo vs Toji fight in JJK but it's just not... As good as what S1 or the movie had in animated peak format. Really disappointed and it's stand out arc in the manga. Don't get me wrong though it's not shit like or poorly storyboarded like their work on AoT but... Damn.

Last edited:
NieR Automata ver1.1a

After a 4 month delay, they released the last 4 episodes all at once. The first season is therefore 12 episodes and is finally complete.

This show is a relatively straightforward adaptation of the first playthrough of NieR Automata up to Ending [A]. A few changes are thrown in and some events are pulled forward in the story to clarify plot points but otherwise it's very, very much hitting the main story of the game. People who played NieR Replicant will enjoy a couple of small cameos from that game, including an earlier appearance for Emil than in the game, but otherwise it does generally follow the game where the events of Replicant are so distant in the past they are almost forgotten. Some things particular to the Ending [B ] path are pulled in here as well, which is nice since the first 2 playthroughs of the game are almost identical except for H A C K I N G and there's no reason to belabor that point in a TV show.

If you liked NieR Automata, you'll like this show. A few characters get extra development over the game simply because of the transition from playing a video game to watching a show. Because the entire game is constantly about fighting, they made a pretty conscious decision to not have too much fighting. If you wanted to see a lot of fighting, go play the game and fight. But making the show more talky served to help flesh out the story of the game in sometimes unexpected ways. You can tell Yoko Taro really liked Pascal though, as he appears quite a bit more in the show than he did in the game.

In terms of shows made by A-1 Pictures, the animation is fine and competent, and the CG is kinda bad. They literally were just given the exact 3D models for stuff made for the game and took those to do the CG work. It meshes badly with the 2D art and animation, to say the least. The sound mix is quite good, and since I played NieR Automata with the JP voice work, the immediate familiarity with the voices was nice for me.

At the end of episode 12, a preview of the next season is shown. I'm pretty happy to see this show continue so we can see Endings [C], [D], and [E].

Last edited:
I can't wait for the Uzumaki anime adaptation. That latest preview on YouTube makes me think the animation especially is gonna be fantastic. This looks like it will be a great adaptation

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Caught up on published Viz Big Vagabond chapters... I gotta let time pass a bit there's a lot to reminisce on in that journey and I still have more to read.

Also read all of that canceled Shounen Jump series Red Hood. It was... Aight, feel bad for the manga-ka, dude was telling a story then had to wrap it up ASAP. Such is the life of Shounen Jump series.

I only really read physical manga these days. Haven't read much of scans in ages.

GymWolf

Do we kniw when the first slam dunk movie is gonna be available outside of japan?

Like who do i need to pay to see the movie in europe?

Do we kniw when the first slam dunk movie is gonna be available outside of japan?

Like who do i need to pay to see the movie in europe?
Maybe check the local theaters? I live in Morocco and I saw an Instagram post from a movie theater in my city about that film. Other than that, I've no idea when that should become available on legal streaming. According to Google the Blu Ray was released today.

GymWolf

Maybe check the local theaters? I live in Morocco and I saw an Instagram post from a movie theater in my city about that film. Other than that, I've no idea when that should become available on legal streaming. According to Google the Blu Ray was released today.
Thanks.

Fbh

Watched Suzume over the weekend.
Was just ok.

The visuals and animation are beautiful like everything by Makoto Shinkai but the plot was very weak.
Also the romance felt extremely forced I know it's teenage girl and all but she spends like 3 days with a dude who turned into a chair and she is like "I'll fucking die for you!!!"

Last edited:
Watched Suzume over the weekend.
Was just ok.

The visuals and animation are beautiful like everything by Makoto Shinkai but the plot was very weak.
Also the romance felt extremely forced I know it's teenage girl and all but she spends like 3 days with a dude who turned into a chair and she is like "I'll fucking die for you!!!"

That's how I feel about the film

Weathering With You and Your Name were way better films

Manga

I'm still reading through Dr Stone. Having a blast with it

Niseko- I just read one chapter but it's good so far

Anime

ZOM 100- Highly entertaining

Inuyasha- been watching this on Hulu in English dub. I'm on Season 1 Episode 14. Been really enjoying it.

On the anime front gonna be watching Hell's Paradise and the new Rurouni Kenshin adaptation

Doom85

On the anime front gonna be watching Hell's Paradise and the new Rurouni Kenshin adaptation

This season, I’m a few episodes into Reign of the Seven Spellblades and Undead Murder Farce. The former is pretty good, and the latter absolutely slaps (helps it‘s the same director as Kaguya, the man knows good pacing and editing to make every scene engaging).

This season, I’m a few episodes into Reign of the Seven Spellblades and Undead Murder Farce. The former is pretty good, and the latter absolutely slaps (helps it‘s the same director as Kaguya, the man knows good pacing and editing to make every scene engaging).

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out.

Also I see that Rent-A-Girlfriend Season 3 is out will be watching that once all the episodes are fully aired

Nikodemos

Finally managed to watch Made in Abyss Season 2. Overall, I liked it just as much as the other 1.5 installments, that is to say, a lot.

I must note one particular miss however. I'm not a manga reader, but I read some comments by manga readers.
And they were correct in this instance.

They should've tried to at least allude to
Vueko and Pakkoyan's sex scene
in the anime.

It would've made several scenes a lot more meaningful.
Pakkoyan keeping close to Vueko and occasionally stealing glances at her, after she notices her walking around the village. Or her anguish over Vueko's safety. Or her final sacrifice. Basically, Pakkoyan still had feelings for Vueko.

Without that specific context, they come off as just random "huh, that's odd" moments. I mean, I understand why they avoided any explicit depiction, but they didn't replace it with anything else to fill in the knowledge/storyline gap. And it somehow feels like they had initially intended to feature something regarding it, to tie all the other scenes together.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I can't watch S2 of Made in Abyss because I have no PC and Sentai Filmworks doesn't have a streaming service for PlayStation and/or availability in the UK. 🤡

Finally managed to watch Made in Abyss Season 2. Overall, I liked it just as much as the other 1.5 installments, that is to say, a lot.

I must note one particular miss however. I'm not a manga reader, but I read some comments by manga readers.
And they were correct in this instance.

They should've tried to at least allude to
Vueko and Pakkoyan's sex scene
in the anime.

It would've made several scenes a lot more meaningful.
Pakkoyan keeping close to Vueko and occasionally stealing glances at her, after she notices her walking around the village. Or her anguish over Vueko's safety. Or her final sacrifice. Basically, Pakkoyan still had feelings for Vueko.

Without that specific context, they come off as just random "huh, that's odd" moments. I mean, I understand why they avoided any explicit depiction, but they didn't replace it with anything else to fill in the knowledge/storyline gap. And it somehow feels like they had initially intended to feature something regarding it, to tie all the other scenes together.

Love the manga. It's paced well and is fantastic. The anime adaptation is good too. The manga is a close second for me when it comes to all time favorites.

The manga is on Chapter 66 and lot of the story has been covered. I think that when the manga finishes, it'll be around 150 to 250 chapters in total.

The author doesn't waste anytime with fillers and it's paced well.

I hope he can end it great and that when they reach the bottom of the Abyss is that its something unique and haven't been seen alot in manga.

Top Bottom