• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime recommendations for a new comer

Nausicaa, which is technically pre-Ghibli but spiritually Ghibli.

I find Nausicaa to be rather lacking, especially in comparison with Miyazaki's adventure films on either side of it (Cagliostro and Castle in the Sky), and you can tell it's a pared down version of the larger story he had in mind and would go on to put down in the manga. But maybe that's just me.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Chihayafuru, best "sports anime" about a card game and the MC tests her limits. Best feels good anime i seen in awhile. Also it's on crunchy roll!

I know it's not an anime really, but Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the greatest things ever. I'm about to finish season 3 and it is seriously up there in my top 10 greatest TV shows of all time list.

jesus shit

AoT was fucking torture to watch week-by-week – but from what I've heard it's really good to binge watch (eg Netflix) so probably a good suggestion. Got a good sense of drama. Even if the story is rapidly going off the rails.
It's just really good to get people into it who don't watch it though. Haven't read the manga, but why do you think story went off the rails in season 1?!

pbayne

Asking in this thread instead of starting a new one,

I saw Big Hero 6 recently and enjoyed it,i know that its not anime, but do you guys think theres any anime I may enjoy if I liked Big Hero 6?

Tough one but something like My Neighbour Totoro might be what your after.

Cornbread78

boku no pico

School Days ;)

You may be joking, but mods don't see it that way anymore....

Sword Art Online popped my anime cherry (have her just watch the first 15 episodes)
Odba4PR.gif

But here are some others I enjoyed:

Clannad:
NEv3HGi.gif

Amazing story of love, family and friendship. It takes a while to get to the meat of the show (season 1 is complete set-up for season 2) but it is well worth the ride. Never cried at anything I watched on TV until I watched this. It's that amazing...

Angel Beats:
6yovOgn.gif

There is a varied response to this one, as she will either love it or hate it. I personally loved it.

Eureka 7:
DtKG5yQ.gif

It's long and sometimes frustrating, but the pay-off is huge.
https://youtu.be/9gZYC4usTps

Subtitled, but well worth it:

Barakamon:
1pwleoC.gif

This is a great short and very "safe" anime that tells a good story and leaves you feeling really good.

My Love Story
EQTeXj7.gif

Speaking of comfy and safe. This show always leaves you with a great feeling and is very sticky sweet to watch.

Aishiteruze Baby
bkzgXN2.jpg

This show is a little bit older, but it has a great story, tone and message to it. It's a really good watch.

Itazura na Kiss:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3731/Itazura_na_Kiss

Snow White With Red Hair:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/30123/Akagami_no_Shirayuki-hime

I saw Big Hero 6 recently and enjoyed it,i know that its not anime, but do you guys think theres any anime I may enjoy if I liked Big Hero 6?

I mean what did you like from Big Hero Six, give us more context. Did you like the light hearted superhero aspect? The feel good get-over-depression aspect? The cute relationship between the mascot of Michelin tires and the main character?

edit: OOH. Barakamon is a great recommendation, if you can get over it's only subbed (not sure if dubbed yet) definitely watch.

I haven't seen Big Hero 6, but it may interest you to learn that the concept designer of Baymax from the film was Shigeto Koyama, a designer who has worked on numerous anime such as Eureka 7, Gurren Lagann, Michiko & Hatchin, and Moribito.

Mendrox

I love the Boku no Pico meme. OP, before you google - it is kids (male) that dress up as girls and have "fun". Do not do this.

I don't understand why anyone should get banned for the glorious ride that is School Days.

Give School Days a try later on with her.

For real recommendations from me:

• Hachimitsu & Clover (Honey and Clover) - sadly it gets looked over often, but it is a good (also this series is a self discovering romance)
  • Kyousougiga
  • Steins;Gate (food for the brain)
  • Death Parade (this could be very good for her)
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Fj0823

My Hero Academia will get an anime soon, maybe that one?

phaze

Troll recs are bannable.

I love the Boku no Pico meme. OP, before you google - it is kids (male) that dress up as girls and have "fun". Do not do this.

I don't understand why anyone should get banned for the glorious ride that is School Days.

• Hachimitsu & Clover (Honey and Clover) - sadly it gets looked over often, but it is a good (also this series is a self discovering romance)
  • Kyousougiga
  • Steins;Gate (food for the brain)
  • Death Parade (this could be very good for her)
Kyousougiga has a dub now ?

• Hachimitsu & Clover (Honey and Clover) - sadly it gets looked over often, but it is a good
  • Kyousougiga
  • Steins;Gate
  • Death Parade

People have gotten banned for School Days, and should for Boku No Pico, because it's the "bloodborne was robbed" of anime recommendations. When someone asks for a recommendation and you just rush to the thread and post this as a joke when the OP is asking for something like COMPLETELY different then it's not cool. AnimeGAF already gets a lot of crap from people who don't know better, this is only adding fuel to the fire.

Specifically because they're both shows you shouldn't watch unless you are LOOKING to watch something like that.

My tastes lean towards the old, with some new. Gonna keep out some obvious choices because it isn't in what you listed.

Movies:
-Anything Ghibli
-Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
-Ghost in the Shell

Shows:
-Moribito: Balsa is one of the better female leads in anime. Can't go wrong with this one.
-Blue Gender: Lots of horror elements in this, pretty ruthless with how it kills off characters.
-Escaflowne: Its been a few years, but I remember this being filled to the brim with drama.
-Fate/Zero: Saber is another good female lead, and it has some of the best animation I've seen.
-Cowboy Bebop: Has a little bit of everything, you can't go wrong.
-Outlaw Star: See above.
-Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood: This is the anime I use to introduce people to the medium.
Witch Hunter Robin: This is another one I haven't seen in ages, but I remember it being heavy on drama, mostly in regards to Robin's duty.
X: This had a lot of character drama in it.

I watch everything in English if given the option so the dubs are good on all of them.

DiGiKerot

I haven't seen Big Hero 6, but it may interest you to learn that the concept designer of Baymax from the film was Shigeto Koyama, a designer who has worked on numerous anime such as Eureka 7, Gurren Lagann, Michiko & Hatchin, and Moribito.

Also Heroman, which people tend to forget exists, but is also directly responsible for landing him that Big Hero 6 gig (also kinda comparable, I guess)

Cornbread78

Sorry, I had to add one more great show that I just realized has an English dub:

Nodame Cantabile:
WgM70hk.gif

More about music that anything, but it has a really good story along with it.

Toradora
jXCvVgJ.gif

I completely forgot this had an English Dub also.

Some REALLY REALLY good options here.

Malalaw

Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

Both good starting points in my opinion.

Has slow spots but for the most part really good.

Chariot

BRO BRO

Star Driver is awesome. How else will I know how hard it is to love two boys at the same time?
Laughed my ass off at the ending.
I was twirling my eyes from episode 1 on because I thought that this would end up in a love triangle, but having the series end with just the two dudes in space was basquash all over again.

DiGiKerot

I omitted the portions of Koyama's resume that didn't seem worth watching, such as that and Star Driver.

I mean, it's not spectacular or anything, but Heroman is pretty OK, particularly if someone is saying that they just got the taste to watch some anime from a superhero-themed thing. It's a particularly interesting contrast given that Big Hero 6 is a western production with a faux-Asian style applied to it, whilst Heroman is a Japanese show set in actual America.

Though, from that PoV, I may as well just say watch Tiger and Bunny and be done with it.

I don't get AnimeGAF's dislike for the show. It is very entertaining and from what the OP wrote feels like something she could like.

Because, if the intention in recommending School Days wasn't just a drive by troll, the person recommending it would actually put some effort into qualifying why they are suggesting it being worth watching. It's not like it's a show without any redeeming qualities or entertainment value, but just throwing that out there on its own isn't helpful to anyone.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Millennium Actress
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Little Witch Academia (+ its sequel)

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood has all the qualities for a first time anime incursion. Simple, fun, with action , nice colors , nice animation, nice interactions , it actually ends.

Chariot

Because, if the intention in recommending School Days wasn't just a drive by troll, the person recommending it would actually put some effort into qualifying why they are suggesting it being worth watching. It's not like it's a show without any redeeming qualities or entertainment value, but just throwing that out there on its own isn't helpful to anyone.
I didn't recommend School Days, I recommended Parasyte, if you follow the quotes.

I didn't recommend School Days, I recommended Parasyte, if you follow the quotes.

person who said it was a troll rec was just having fun considering we got school days and boku no pico recommended. Don't worry about it. I liked Parasyte as a whole even with the annoying lead girl.

"Are you the real X?" every fucking time. Such awkward dialogue.

MrChom

Patema Inverted - Good dub, female main character, interesting twists. Don't want to spoil it :D

Blood The Last Vampire - Great short horror feature. Okay Dub

Perfect Blue - a Hitchcock style thriller about a J-Pop idol who wants to be an actress (Note: You might want to be careful with this....it's absolutely fantastic but contains a scene which depending on your POV is either on-set simulated sex OR a rape scene)

Tokyo Godfathers - Feel good christmas movie about the homeless of Tokyo

Giovanni's Island - A family is displaced by the Soviet occupation of the Northern Japanese islands...witness them attempt to make something of their lives. You might need some tissues for this one.

Cornbread78

Found more good drama's with an English Dub:

Air:

YEvKOKb.gif

Full Moon wo Sagashite
hWd9ct3.gif

This one is long again, but well, well worth the ride. It is exactly the drama she is looking for; just amazing.... She will cry, maybe uncontrollably at times..

Both are tear-jerkers at times...

It's anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who don't like anime love One Punch Man, so maybe that's a good start?

No dub version, though. Yet, at least.

SomTervo

It's just really good to get people into it who don't watch it though. Haven't read the manga, but why do you think story went off the rails in season 1?!

Sorry, I sounded more pejorative about Attack on Titan than I meant to.

Attack on Titan is good. It has horrific pacing - watching it week-to-week was awful because there's a solid 10 episodes where nothing happens, DBZ style, throughout the season. But everyone I know who is watching it on Netflix loves it because you just press through each one really quickly. So it's probably perfect for OP.

And on the whole it is good. The first episode is perfect, it really grabs you attention. It's a good story. Similarly to Full Metal Alchemist imo.

The story doesn't go fully off the rails, but it started showing signs of wobbly railings imo.
Not-really-killing-off-the-main-character, pacing getting insanely wack, characters taking 7 episodes to realise something you worked out early in the season, some iffy plot holes later in the season (can't remember details, something about how characters moved around in a later set piece/disaster that made 0 sense).

"Off the rails" was too harsh, but I don't have a lot of faith in the series moving forward.

It's anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who don't like anime love One Punch Man, so maybe that's a good start?

No dub version, though. Yet, at least.

Same here, One Punch Man sounds legitimately very funny. And a lot of levity, so probably good for a new anime watcher.

neoism

So I'm going to introduce anime to someone. I need recommendations on what would be a good show for her. It has to be in English. She likes girly, horror, drama, and feelgood movies to name some interests. I have a few in mind but I haven't watched as much anime as some of you here and since I don't really watch dubs I'm also stuck there.

Samurai Champloo best evera....<3

FLCL

Trigun....

Ghibli films to me I dont count as anime they are art films and most are better than most classic movies... love almost all Ive seen....
haven't liked any new anime in years...though

Samurai Champloo best evera....<3

FLCL

Trigun....

Ghibli films to me I dont count as anime they are art films and most are better than most classic movies... love almost all Ive seen....
haven't liked any new anime in years...though

Ghibli films are most definitely anime. For the most part, baring some of Takahata's work and maybe The Wind Rises, they couldn't be described as "art films"; they're very mainstream family-oriented films. Japanese animation that I would describe as "art films" would be things like Angel's Egg, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor 2 (most of Oshii's work, really), or the avant-garde techniques of Kara no Kyoukai 5: Spiral Paradox.

Not sure when the dub is releasing but once it does, Your Lie In April is definitely one to watch. Just a beautiful series to just watch.

tumblr_ngfq8bvoC61t89rpeo1_500.gif

Fandangox

Baccano is fantastic. Is Short, funny, and has a great cast of characters. I'd recommend it. Has a "Feelgood" vibe to it, with some minor horror/occult elements.

Also Black Lagoon simply because of how accessible is to someone who has never watched anime, is super funny too.

Top Bottom