• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirokun

Bebpo said:
I really like the original, which is why I'm watching this. But ep1 of this was MUCH slower than the first show ever was. Hopefully it'll pick up in ep2. Also the old show had better music and character design ^^;

Um..over half of the pieces of music from the first episode of Slayers R were from the previous incarnations. I can't say I agree with you about it being slow either. Seemed about the same as any Slayers 1st episode. The older character designs were slightly less deformed than this one, true, but the improved animation(assuming it is consistent) outweighs such a thing IMO.

Slayers is BACK, bitches! :D

kiryogi

Banned
Yknow, Bebpo was talking about Mahou Tsukai ni, not Slayers R. XD And there is some Masami, as in she's actually the chorus backing up Megumi in the songs.

rykomatsu

Strike Witches = Pedobear cameltoe anime, if anyone's into that kind of stuff...

was interested in Koshimizu Ami, Sawashiro Miyuki (since Croche from Ar Tonelico 2 and Perinne from this anime have similar personalities), and Fukuen Misato's voice acting, but I don't think I'm going to watch anymore eps after ep1... :/

Fireblend

Banned
rykomatsu said:
Strike Witches = Pedobear cameltoe anime, if anyone's into that kind of stuff...

was interested in Koshimizu Ami, Sawashiro Miyuki (since Croche from Ar Tonelico 2 and Perinne from this anime have similar personalities), and Fukuen Misato's voice acting, but I don't think I'm going to watch anymore eps after ep1... :/
Isn't Strike Witches from Gonzo? That should be a red flag right there. My summer season shall start on Friday with Birdy anyway :D

rykomatsu

Fireblend said:
Isn't Strike Witches from Gonzo? That should be a red flag right there. My summer season shall start on Friday with Birdy anyway :D

Well, to Gonzo's credit, Kaleido Star was a really great series...most of their productions are garbage, but occaisionally, they have some really great stuff...so I was banking on that but maybe that was wishful thinking lol :|

Barrage

Damn it, why does everyone say thier watching Geass, but noone's discussing it? I finally caught up on the second season, and now I have noone to make fun of it with. :(

Terrell

mephesta said:
2110746520103570232S500x500Q85.jpg

Seiyou Kottou Yougaiten ~Antique~(fuck yes)

Number of episodes: 12
Japanese Air Date: July 3
Animation Company: Nippon Animation/Shirogumi Inc. (Moyashimon)
Seiyuu: Keiji Fujiwara, Eiji Hanawa, Shinichiro Miki, Mamoru Miyano,
Adaptation of Fumi Yoshinaga’s manga (the English licensed title is Antique Bakery)
Tachibana, grandson of a rich businessman and newbie in the world of managing; Ono Yuusuke, famous pastry chef and even more infamous “devilish homosexual”; Kanda Eiji, a retired young boxer with a thing for pastries; Kobayakawa Chikage, servant friend of Tachibana and current romantic interest of Ono, who is clumsy yet serious and stoic to a fault (most of the time). Together, these four men maintain a small yet elegant cafe known as “Antique”, where they and all their customers can come together to cherish one of the few but truly important things in life: cake.

Thought's
Honestly Japan makes some of the oddest things into the most engrosing tv (Hikaru no Go) I'm kind of surprised they didn't make a Cooking Mama anime instead but I'm sure they will get around to it. This should hold me over.
Who's Subbing
Yoroshiku
Recommendations
If you have a soul

So this season features a show about gay guys and cake?!

.... hmm, queer.

rykomatsu

Barrage said:
Damn it, why does everyone say thier watching Geass, but noone's discussing it? I finally caught up on the second season, and now I have noone to make fun of it with. :(

it's one of those shows where people watch it, but no one wants to admit that they watch it...

Durante

I just watched the first episode of Slayers R, and I think it's awesome. But admittedly I've been yearning for a Slayers-like fantasy anime for quite a while. The OP is just as great as the earlier ones were, which makes it easily superior to most of the stuff made today.

Hidamari x365 is also just as good as I expected, so for me the season is already good enough.

Fireblend said:
Gurren Lagann and Baccano! are the best things in recent memory, IMO. Kurenai was also pretty good.
Baccano! needs more love. One of the most consistently entertaining show I've watched in the past few years.

Shouta

Birdy Episode 1 = awesome, definitely the best Ep 1 I've seen this year. Animation is really nice and the action is great although a bit floaty.

Fireblend

Banned
Shouta said:
Birdy Episode 1 = awesome, definitely the best Ep 1 I've seen this year. Animation is really nice and the action is great although a bit floaty.
Great news, can't wait to get subs.

Defuser

rykomatsu said:
it's one of those shows where people watch it, but no one wants to admit that they watch it...
It's a guilty pleasure for gaffers :lol oh man,how I went through the previous anime threads where duckroll was pimping it and the rest was praising it.

rykomatsu

Shouta said:

I'm definitely enjoying it and I really like the OP song but best ep1 this year? come on :| I like Chiba Saeko's voice :p reminds me of Mizuhashi Kaori lol

Junpei Heat

Shouta said:

Those fight scenes were ridiculously well done,I was super duper impressed. I miss some of the old charcter designs though and I've just realized I have seen Tsutomu killed 3 different ways now :/

Did anything at all come out of Spring or was it all "You'll only like it if you already like it" crap like Golgo and Maid Guy? Real Drive/Allison/those Bones shows turn out any good?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Son of Godzilla said:
Did anything at all come out of Spring or was it all "You'll only like it if you already like it" crap like Golgo and Maid Guy? Real Drive/Allison/those Bones shows turn out any good?

The Daughter of Twenty Face/Chiko is pretty fun. Surprise of the season for me.

Soul Eater...well Soul Eater took a long ass time to actually get anywhere. And I lost interest in Real Drive pretty damn fast, there is only so much techno-babble I could handle.

Fireblend

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Kurenai, Chiko and Kaiba were all awesome. Well, Kaiba and Chiko are still going but that doesn't change anything, they're great.

Dead

well not really...yet
Son of Godzilla said:
Chiko and Real Drive, maybe Kure-nai

Maybe Kaiba too. I didn't get into it, but its worth a look.

everything else from Spring is either boring/forgettable or total trash

Shouta

rykomatsu said:
I'm definitely enjoying it and I really like the OP song but best ep1 this year? come on :| I like Chiba Saeko's voice :p reminds me of Mizuhashi Kaori lol

I personally think so. Great action, the human scenes flowed well, and the ep had great pacing overall. Very few of the ep 1s this year have really impressed me much.

I kind of miss Mitsuishi Kotono's voice as Birdy. It just fit so well that I could imagine her voice while reading the manga. Chiba Saeko's is pretty good though.

rykomatsu

Son of Godzilla said:

I thought Wagaya no Oinarisama had a reasonably wide appeal...most of my friends have enjoyed it thus far

Shouta said:
I personally think so. Great action, the human scenes flowed well, and the ep had great pacing overall. Very few of the ep 1s this year have really impressed me much.

I kind of miss Mitsuishi Kotono's voice as Birdy. It just fit so well that I could imagine her voice while reading the manga. Chiba Saeko's is pretty good though.

I would have put Shigofumi or H2O ahead of Birdy from a sheer ep1 aspect (H2O deteriorated rather rapidly though, but it originally had a lot of potential...wish they followed the actual visual novel). Don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the best this year so far though :) Artstyle isn't to my liking but it has a very high polish overall to begin with so no doubt I'll go through the entire series.

If I've read the original manga, do you think it's worth it to start up with the newer run in Young Sunday?

S. L.

slightly OT,
but has anybody an idea where i could get the Kimagure Orange Road TV R1 box (and shipped to europe/germany)? I tried looking at ebay lately, but with not so much luck.
I know the box is out of print/lost license.

MrDaravon

Slayers Rev was pretty good; thought it was pretty typical 1st Slayers episode type thing. Slayers really starts off light and ramps up as the series progresses, so it's hard to really tell. Haven't checked out anything else yet, one or two of these series seem interesting but doesn't look like subs are out yet.

Also if anyone's been following it, the last episode of Toshokan Sensou (12) is out this morning, grabbing it now. The series hasn't been really what I expected, but it's not bad. It kinda reminds me of You're Under Arrest in that it's a largely character driven series. What's really caught me off guard though is how short it is, I would have expected it to be at least a full season, which is pretty disappointing.

MrDaravon

Toshokan Sensou 12 (Libarary War) was alright. The ending was fine, but I really think the series needed a full season to flesh out all the characters and everything more, so in a sense it's really disappointing.

Also Macross Frontier 13, holy shit what the fuck is even happening now.

DieH@rd

Banned
Last night i saw Macross Frontier ep13, and i say wow! Last 5 min were so good, animation and dogfights are insane! Cant wait for ep14!

Ronok

School Rumble Third Semester #25 (with book 21 of the comics, 07/17)
Director: TAKAMATSU Shinji, Composition / Script: TOKITA Hiroko, Production: Studio Comet
Continuation of the popular romcom.

School Rumble Third Semester #26 (with book 22 of the comics, 09/17)
Director: TAKAMATSU Shinji, Composition / Script: TOKITA Hiroko, Production: Studio Comet
Continuation of the popular romcom.

What? o_O;;; Third semester? # 25 and # 26? :-/ Please someone explain. :-/

Zoe

Soul Eater original episodes start with episode 15.

Whoops, never mind! I misread the summary.

Zoe

vas_a_morir said:
What, like filler?

Nevermind, I forgot the chapters were titled
Black Dragon
even though they're really about
Nizuheg
:\

Original episodes are inevitable cause the story isn't finished, but noone knows when they'll happen. There's one possibly coming up on the 28th, but they might just use the omake for that.

Zoe said:
Nevermind, I forgot the chapters were titled
Black Dragon
even though they're really about
Nizuheg
:\

Original episodes are inevitable cause the story isn't finished, but noone knows when they'll happen. There's one possibly coming up on the 28th, but they might just use the omake for that.

Having no knowledge of the manga, I can't imagine this show being any slower.

rykomatsu

7Th said:
Is Birdy aired in HD?

it's in 16:9 but there's no mention of it being an HD production...not all HD anime have it, but a good chunk of HD anime generally have a small HD Production logo appearing on the top right corner towards the beginning for a few moments...Birdy doesn't have this logo either so...

Shouta

rykomatsu said:
If I've read the original manga, do you think it's worth it to start up with the newer run in Young Sunday?

I think the newer run is far better than the older one. It's worth checking out at the very least. It's a bit meandering right now but the individual stories aren't bad and the action is solid. It just needs an overall story to tie everything together, or at least one that's more pronounced. In a way, it's fairly typical Masami Yuuki.

Shouta

I am but uh, if it was licensed at AX, then I won't have to I guess. =x I haven't heard anything about it being licensed though.

B.K.

I saw this and just assumed it meant it was licensed.

Hiroe greeted everyone at the panel and mentioned they would indeed be announcing the Gurren Lagann dub cast. Before that, she showed trailers for new titles that were announced at Tokyo International Anime Fair. After the second trailer, she mentioned that some of them might contain mature content and that anyone under 13 should cover the eyes. Here’s a list of the titles in the trailers.

Persona Trinity Soul
RH Plus
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Sekirei
Kara no Kyoukai (The Garden of Sinners)

http://www.animeondvd.com/conitem.php?item=285

Cloudy

Banned
Just saw ep 1 of the new "Someday's Dreamers" show. So pretty and the music is awesome. The show itself seems ok but it was just the intro ep

I really love how they have pre-rendered/photo backgrounds :D

Mahou%20Tsukai%20ni%20Taisetsu%20na%20Koto%20~Natsu%20no%20Sora~%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2002.jpg

Mahou%20Tsukai%20ni%20Taisetsu%20na%20Koto%20~Natsu%20no%20Sora~%20-%2001%20-%20Large%2014.jpg

EGM92

any word if there anything in the works for a Black Lagoon or Full Metal Panic continuation?

I loved both of those series. I really want more.

Yeargh, so much trash. As usual.

I'll watch Birdy the Mighty, and Ryoko's Case File might be up my alley. I'll recommend Antique Bakery to my yaoi-loving girlfriend. I wasn't going to sit through a second season of Someday's Dreamers, but those screengrabs have my attention. As for Ultraviolet...I think I'll just track down the original Gloria.

Koihime Musou... I can't believe this has come to pass, but Japan has genuinely strip-mined bare the "wacky gender-swapped take on Three Kingdoms." This industry is a hole.

Shouta

I just finished watching ep 1 of Ryoko's Case File and it isn't as good as the novel or manga. Some of the charm to the written versions is lost and the show is really poorly animated. The content is largely the same I think. I was hoping something that kind of looked pretty (because the art for the series is fantastic) but man, the anime was pretty awful looking. It has a few cool moments but it's a show that's definitely for folks that enjoy the chatter, just like the novel/manga (although the manga is more amusing than this).

Shouta

Well, if anyone wants it, I just released Birdy 1. No OP/ED (because I can't understand the ED so better to leave it both gone so it looks consistent). Another group released as well so take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom