• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
The original masters for the US DBZ soundtrack should be dropped into a Volcano.

Shit is more offensive than even Ke$ha

Oh dang here's another:

Naruto part 1 is better then the entirety of One Piece while One Piece as a whole is better than Naruto parts 1 & 2.

Also, it's not controversial at all that naruto is a terrible character. He's terrible because Kishimoto hates him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hmmm...Bleach is actually a pretty good anime. Outside of fillers (which shouldn't have it counted against it anyway) and some sometimes slow pacing (which is accredited to the original author's slow-style), I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The original masters for the US DBZ soundtrack should be dropped into a Volcano.

Shit is more offensive than even Ke$ha
Get the fuck out of my house.
The original Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z.
Not controversial.

ReiGun

people think elfen lied is good?
That's what I'm saying. I watched it on Netflix last summer. My word, that was awful.

I greatly prefer English dubs if they are available.
Yup. English dubs can actually be pretty great, and I've always hated the "The Japanese is better just cause it's Japanese" attitude.

FMA's first series is superior to Brotherhood, which has horribly stilted direction.

Brother! Man, have I gotten into it with people over this.

Monster isn't good, it's silly as fuck and plays it completely straight. Dumb.

FMA's first series is superior to Brotherhood, which has horribly stilted direction.

Akira (movie) is far superior to the manga, which is a horribly bloated glorified artbook with zero sense of pace that goes nowhere.

FLCL dub is garbage. It tries too hard to be the JP track down to the inflections and is just goofy and unlistenable.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is a great movie that gets far too much hate.
Are you my long-lost twin?

Codeblue

I was about to say that Gurren Lagann's second season sucked, but it looks like that's not as controversial as I thought.

Spoilers:
I usually don't mind killing off a cool character to advance the story, but not when that character is single handedly making your show awesome.

Mega apologies to anyone who was in the middle of it.

Excluding a few anime movies and TV shows that probably number in the low double-digits, anime as an entertainment medium is complete bullshit drivel of the lowest order designed to appeal to the lowest possible denominator. For every Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell you have countless mind-numbing shit-stains designed to serve as a loose framework in which to present the various sexist, juvenile, and psychotic fetishes and fantasies that populate the minds of very sad, dysfunctional people.

But what good anime there is can be pretty damn amazing.

Emitan

I was about to say that Gurren Lagann's second season sucked, but it looks like that's not as controversial as I thought.

I usually don't mind killing off a cool character to advance the story, but not when that character is single handedly making your show awesome.

oh shit i gotta get out of here and finish GL and hope they didn't kill who i think they did

Hmmm...Bleach is actually a pretty good anime. Outside of fillers (which shouldn't have it counted against it anyway) and some sometimes slow pacing (which is accredited to the original author's slow-style), I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thinking one of the big 3 is good isn't exactly controversial. People on the internet will bust your balls for liking it, but they'll do the same for the Call of Duty games or anything that's popular.

Grakl

Excluding a few anime movies and TV shows that probably number in the low double-digits, anime as an entertainment medium is complete bullshit drivel of the lowest order designed to appeal to the lowest possible denominator. For every Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell you have countless mind-numbing shit-stains designed to serve as a loose framework in which to present the various sexist, juvenile, and psychotic fetishes and fantasies that populate the minds of very sad, dysfunctional people.

This is true for every form of media.

Seda

Naruto is one of the better shonen series and I'll take it over Bleach, One Piece or Dragon Ball any day.

I still catch up on the (dubbed) airings of Naruto and Bleach sometimes. I really liked arc with the "immortal akatsuki", mainly because Naruto spent most of those episodes in the background.

Bleach started out interesting in the early goings but has been pretty poor ever since.

:) this ain't controversial.

Makoto

The writing in anime is for the most part, garbage. Too many internal monologues and the dialogue is often too on-the-nose. It's as if most animators feel there's no room for subtlety in their shows. It's why I'm very hesitant to watch recent shows that are anything but comedic. A non-comedic has to have some serious praise for me to give it a watch.

Subbing is in an awful state. Overuse of honorifics when it's not at all relevant to characters. Dialogue is stilted and wooden. It's as if translators choose anyone but native English speakers to edit their subtitles.

I greatly prefer English dubs if they are available.
Same.

One reason I prefer them is because the dub's dialogue is almost always going to be better than what's been written in subtitles.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

This is true for a lot of things, not just anime.

edit: Well alright grakl.

Jeez, who forced you to watch Bible Black?

Grakl

No. Of all the entertainment forms at hand, anime is one of the most uniquely disproportionate in terms of bad-to-good offerings.

Off of the top of my head, I can literally think of no genre or general form of entertainment that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator.

I hate EVA and think its a big waste of time. All that deep shit doesn't matter to me when the show is boring and forgettable.

Naruto(non-filler) is awesome as hell and has interesting characters and situations.

Death Note was great. Weird at times, but great.

The best thing about Champloo was the soundtrack and references. What was actually happening story wise was boring after the first few episodes.

I thought Monster fucking crumbled apart the further it went.

I don't like much about One Piece outside of its quirky characters, but I respect it.

Eh.

Love has been lost rei....

I didn't watch brotherhood but I did read the manga. I still much prefer the original because the manga completely butchers ALL of the dramatic and plain badass moments from the first. The manga/brother try to hamfist a lot of silly comedy relief sometimes in the middle of supposedly dramatic moments. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea.

No. Of all the entertainment forms at hand, anime is one of the most uniquely disproportionate in terms of bad-to-good offerings.

Have you like... done any research? I mean saying there's a lot of shit is accurate, but come on, low double digits? There's a ton of stuff that animegaf could recommend for you if you enjoy CB or GiTS.

Are you sure about that? Remember, people can self publish books these days

Is the anime on Japanese television self-published? Do self-published books get put on store shelves in major retailers both domestically and internationally?

Have you like... done any research? I mean saying there's a lot of shit is accurate, but come on, low double digits? There's a ton of stuff that animegaf could recommend for you if you enjoy CB or GiTS.

It's an opinion thread; I'm just stating my impression. That said, I've spent a lot (read far too much) of time looking for good anime to watch, since as I said it's great when it works. The stuff that is recommended to me based on my love of Bebop and Ghost in the Shell is usually very disappointing, but hit me if you've got something new to recommend. Going to bed right now though, cheers.

Digital Coloring has sucked away alot of the charm and "look" of modern anime. Everything is too shiny and pristine nowadays and it bothers me. Shading seems to be a thing of the past as well.

I dont know if thats controversial or not, as Ive met quite a few people that would prefer things done the old way still. Of course as a business that makes zero sense. Just a feeling.

I still enjoy contemporary anime however, so its not a dealbreaker.

The only good series GAINAX has ever done, and ever will do, is Gurren Lagann. Evangelion, Kare Kano, FLCL are all passable but insanely overrated. The rest of the stuff is some of the worst stuff I've ever watched in life. Both Gunbuster and Panty and Stocking in particular.

Oshii is garbage. Straight up. Right up there with Anno and Ikuhara.

The idea that Gurren Lagann is better than Evangelion is mind-blowingly absurd.

Yep.

Poyunch

Eureka Seven was boring with unlikeable characters and it couldn't even make up for it with the fight scenes which lasted for 5 seconds with no sense of impact.

One reason I prefer them is because the dub's dialogue is almost always going to be better than what's been written in subtitles.
Quality of scripting is also a major factor for me when deciding which language to watch anime in. If the dub dialogue is sufficiently better then the subtitle translation, that can single-handedly make my decision for me.

Another opinion: Most fan translations are a joke, and their idea of being "faithful" to the source material results in stilted pidgin-speak dialogue that is absolutely fucking unreadable.

FStop7

Banned
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is better than the original movie.

I don't find this controversial. Innocence is a pretty bleak look at what could have been (or what did happen) depending on which of the various incarnations of GitS you prefer to think of as canon (the films, SAC/2nd GIG, and Solid State Society).

survivor

Banned
Is the anime on Japanese television self-published? Do self-published books get put on store shelves in major retailers both domestically and internationally?

And if you ignore self published books, it still doesn't change the fact that ratio of bad books to good ones is still high. It's not really an issue only related to anime.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
That's what I'm saying. I watched it on Netflix last summer. My word, that was awful.

Yup. English dubs can actually be pretty great, and I've always hated the "The Japanese is better just cause it's Japanese" attitude.

Brother! Man, have I gotten into it with people over this.

English dubs are usually inferior because the English language has not many nuances in vocal interpretation. There should be ups and downs when saying a sentence and most of English dubs come as monotonous.

The last time I was in a bookstore I saw hundreds of Twilight books and the last Jamie Oliver cookbook and the best seller list was also not that good too, so I don't see the big difference.

It's an opinion thread; I'm just stating my impression. That said, I've spent a lot (read far too much) of time looking for good anime to watch, since as I said it's great when it works. The stuff that is recommended to me based on my love of Bebop and Ghost in the Shell is usually very disappointing, but hit me if you've got something new to recommend. Going to bed right now though, cheers.

Well you could can check out this thread.

But hey, if you've really spent a lot of time looking and still can't find anything, not much I can say to change your mind. To each his own.

@blizzard, I'll browse through that one.

The last time I was in a bookstore I saw hundreds of Twilight books and the last Jamie Oliver cookbook and the best seller list was also not that good too, so I don't see the big difference.

Except even Twilight is significantly better than most anime. And Jamie Oliver cooks some...okay, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom