• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anisotropic Filtering and next-gen: Why is it still absent?

Izayoi

Banned
Browsing through Gamersyde I noticed a worrying trend. It seems that many (if not most) next-gen games use very little, if any, AF. What gives?

image_forza_motorsport_5-23648-2721_0010.jpg

image_killer_instinct-22839-2737_0004.jpg

image_destiny-22366-2656_0024.jpg

This seems to be a problem across both platforms. Are these launch pains or is this something we can expect with a majority of titles going forward? I know that the PS4 at least has more than enough memory bandwidth to handle high levels of AF, so I'm kind of scratching my head about it.

On an unrelated note, what the fuck is Bungie doing with that horrible chromatic aberration? Hopefully that shit gets dropped before release (or at the very least, toned down). It's incredibly unappealing visually.

epmode

On an unrelated note, what the fuck is Bungie doing with that horrible chromatic aberration? Hopefully that shit gets dropped before release (or at the very least, toned down). It's incredibly unappealing visually.

Chromatic abberration is my newest nemesis. I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

At least we can occasionally disable it in PC games.

Leb

I can't remember the last PC game that didn't default to 16x AF. Surely the PS4, at least, will offer a similar level of quality.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That is a really good question. I always crank 16xAF just because it doesn't affect performance whatsoever, so I wonder why they wouldn't here. Fairly significant IQ boost for a negligible amount of memory lost?

Cartman86

Banned
Making other things pretty is more important to some devs?

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot. AF doesn't affect performance much anymore?

Pimpbaa

It's inexcusable for next gen games not to have it. I mean it was trivial for my geforce 7600 and I though 360 and ps3 would have it on for every game, but nope. And they are still not using it when it's even more trivial.

ethomaz

Banned
AF is almost free to use in modern GPUs... it is only bandwidth dependent so in PS360 gen it was really limited but now? PS4 have 176GB/s bandwidth for what?

#Team16xAF

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No clue. KZ:SF used to not have it in early build screens, now it seems to have it. I thought it was strange too. I cant't think of another ps4 game I've seenately that doesn't have it though (destiny build is really old too)

Pimpbaa

Chromatic abberration is my newest nemesis. I have a feeling it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

At least we can occasionally disable it in PC games.

Whenever I see chromatic aberration, i feel the need to bust out a pair of red and blue 3d glasses.

The Cowboy

Because if some people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, how could they tell the difference between 2xAF and 16xAF.

Izayoi

Banned
That Forza picture is unreal. That's a press shot? Holy crap, it's horrible.
Yeah, it's especially worrying that even bullshots are showing a distinct lack of AF. I thought it was a relatively inexpensive process, but maybe I'm wrong?

I can't remember the last PC game that didn't default to 16x AF. Surely the PS4, at least, will offer a similar level of quality.
That's what you would think, but that Destiny screenshot is of the PS4 version and it seems to be completely absent.

That is a really good question. I always crank 16xAF just because it doesn't affect performance whatsoever, so I wonder why they wouldn't here. Fairly significant IQ boost for a negligible amount of memory lost?
Same here. It's always the first thing I max and the last thing I tone down if I'm worried about performance on PC. I don't really understand why it's not there in next-gen titles.

Does it have any significant impact on performance?
It can require large amounts of memory bandwidth, but that shouldn't be an issue on the PS4. Despite that, it seems that even PS4 games are having problems with it.

Does a lack of AF cause weird stuff with fences like this (right side of fence)?:
That's texture aliasing, a different problem entirely.

UrbanRats

I asked myself the same question when looking at the Order 1886 screens, it seems that game also lacks AF.
Very weird, it's one of those things that drives me crazy, too. :\

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
From AMD GCN slides...

anisotropy_960W.jpg

It is automaticly enable with no performance cost.
The new algorithm is. Doesn't mean much if the developers use minimal AF or none at all.

Izayoi

Banned
From AMD GCN slides...

http://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Illustrations/HighResolutionJPEG/anisotropy_960W.jpg[IMG]

It is automaticly enable with no performance cost.[/QUOTE]
If that were the case, how do you explain the examples I posted?

I don't understand.

[quote="Lord Error, post: 89089705"]No clue. KZ:SF used to not have it in early build screens, now it seems to have it. I thought it was strange too. I cant't think of another ps4 game I've seenately that doesn't have it though (destiny build is really old too)[/QUOTE]
It was hard for me to find good examples of PS4 games, that Destiny shot was the best example I could find. Killzone does a lot of stuff that obfuscates the ground textures (puddles, decals, ground clutter) so I couldn't find a great shot to illustrate it there, but it does seem to be off or at least low in some recent shots.

[quote][img]http://images.gamersyde.com/image_killzone_shadow_fall-23537-2660_0004.jpg

belmonkey

Not my fence shot! That was a 4k screen with 130% resolution scale and 4xMSAA, still couldn't clean up that fence.

AF is texture related.

I've been curious about fences / AF when I saw Killzone MP screenshots and fences looked bad / disappeared at a distance. If all that resolution cannot fix a fence, I wonder how much is needed? :/

The lack of AF was one of the first things I noticed when these native resolution next gen (bull)shots started coming out. That shit should be maxed out!

Top Bottom