• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another crypto-mining boom threatens CPU prices, with AMD’s Ryzen 7950X now sold out

Draugoth

Gold Member
yPArHeZxCN9fXaYXgejAc-970-80.jpg.webp

It looks like cryptocurrency mining is back in craze, as miners are firing up their old mining hardware from 2022 to cash in. Bitcoin is now north of $72,000, and is dragging up the value of several other cryptocurrencies, one such being Qubic (QBIC). Profitability calculators put 24 hours of Qubic mining on an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-core processor at around $3, after subtracting energy costs involved in running the chip at its default 170 W TDP. "Zen 4" processors such as the 7950X tend to retain much of their performance with slight underclocking, and reducing their power limits; which is bound to hold or increase profitability, while also prolonging the life of the hardware.

And thus, the inevitable has happened—stocks of the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X have disappeared overnight across online retail. With the market presence of the 7950X3D and the Intel Core i9-14900K, the 7950X was typically found between $550-600, which would have added great value considering its low input costs. CPU-based cryptocurrency miners, including the QBIC miner, appear to be taking advantage of the AVX-512 instruction set. AMD "Zen 4" microarchitecture supports AVX-512 through its dual-pumped 256-bit FPU, and the upcoming "Zen 5" microarchitecture is rumored to double AVX-512 performance over "Zen 4." Meanwhile, Intel has deprecated what few client-relevant AVX-512 instructions its Core processors had since 12th Gen "Alder Lake," as it reportedly affected sales of Xeon processors. What about the 7950X3D? It's pricier, but mining doesn't benefit from the 3D V-cache, and the chip doesn't sustain the kind of CPU clocks the 7950X manages to do across all its 16 cores. It's only a matter of time before the 7950X3D disappears, too; followed by 12-core models such as the 65 W 7900, the 170 W 7900X, and the 7900X3D.
Source

Quixz

At least it's not GPUs again this time and 7950X won't affect gamers much.

AMD investers will be making some serious bank over the next few months.

Reactions: RNG

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
i bet that Bitcoin isn’t even close to where it will be in 10 years. If you can stomach the turmoil, it’s probably going to get much higher imo

Xyphie

Buying a $550 CPU to make $3 profit daily? how does that make sense ?

Because it's a fantastic rate of return which very few investments can match? If your capital expenditure is $550 (realistically a bit more for a MB + 1 RAM stick etc) and you make $3 a day net of electricity that's $1095/year which is a ~100% rate of return.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think anyone is stupid enough to mine for little to no profit some shitcoin. And obviously mine with CPU Bitcoin, that is something which nets you fucking nothing.

Fahdis

Its not gonna happen. Unless you have an ASIIC Rig, you will make no profit whatsoever and Etherum has switched to POS from POW. I don't think this is a crypto issue.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
i bet that Bitcoin isn’t even close to where it will be in 10 years. If you can stomach the turmoil, it’s probably going to get much higher imo
Will it be simultaneously secure and energy efficient by then?
Edit: not to mention non-monopolistic

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Isn't BTC mining revenue being cut in half next month? Should help end this shortage quick.

Sleepwalker

I would be more than willing to part with my 5900x (and its little bro, the 5600x) if people get hard up enough for CPUs in the 2nd hand market. Not gonna happen, but I can dream.
NGL I would too, if the 5900x went to go super high second hand I'm cashing in asap.

Divus

Article is blatantly false. Crypto mining boom won't happen any time soon. Ethereum went POS and no longer in mined and was 99% of the craze a few years ago. Bitcoin was last mineable using a video card well over a decade ago. Nothing is close to profitable with a video card now. CPU mining is also fairly pointless. No one is firing up there old miners. That doesn't even make sense.

This is just click bait for gamers.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PC hardware prices is not going to affect the average PCMR consumer.
Nothing to see here.

Tsaki

It's great ROI for as long as the bull run exists. And when it stops, you are still left with a fantastic CPU; just make sure to force a lower TDP on the processor so you don't burn-through its lifecycle from too much use

Griffon

Sounds more like someone at Techpowereup desperately wants to dump his worthless Qubics.

Last edited:
3 dollars? Not even close if you deduct the cost of running a miner on a daily basis. Maybe a few pennies...
Which you can also make by shopping smart, or buy 1 less can of soda.

Which actual moron is falling for this nonsense?

This article is sponsored by AMD to sell more units quickly, come on!
Modern day GPUs arent efficient enough anymore as are the processors.

Domestic mining is dead and everyone knows this.

Mining as a hobby costs more and the ROI is laughable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom