• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another failed console spec comparison (Gamespot)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I guess it was important to be specific about the CPU clock and nothing else.
I can find a 2.2 ghz pentium 4. Must be equally as fast as my i7. They have the same clockspeed 'n shit. Honestly I don't understand this fail of a chart.

But then we would be doing their job, and they'll feel slighted that a bunch of nerds on the internet once again exposed how useless they are and there will be self back pats and shit and fuck it.

Someone has to, because they sure as shit are not.

A list like this, with correct information, could be knocked together in 5 minutes, but I'm sure it's already been done.

tensuke

How do gaming and tech sites keep getting things so wrong? Ignoring the fine details like GPU/CPU specs (which are more important than ever this gen), some other specs are just plain WRONG and 5 minutes of googling would clear most of it up. I mean, Xbox 360 has NO optical drive? What? Come on, do all these sites outsource their technical information to a guy that doesn't speak English? Good lord.

adixon

Jesus. This reads like a joke fanboy comparison. A column for video chat but no details on the GPU, the defining hardware spec of a game console?

Like come on...I feel bad for all the people who look at this stuff and believe it when its completely off.

I have to agree Gaf > "Game sites" truly.

If anyone ever asked me where to go to for unfiltered gaming news Gaf would be ahead of most, if not all, gaming websites out there. SMH

Dibbz

God damn, what is this shit with non tech specs posted by big gaming sites? CPU might as well say "Yes", same for GPU, without any real technical specs in there.

Sez

So the Xbox One is more powerful??

1.75 Ghz >> 1.60 Ghz

I'm kidding, but casuals can easily fall into this.

I can find a 2.2 ghz pentium 4. Must be equally as fast as my i7. They have the same clockspeed 'n shit. Honestly I don't understand this fail of a chart.

Whoever made it is incompetent at various levels. Obviously it's always hard to quite grasp how incompetent the person is in this case, because we are talking about someone who doesn't even know how to search google, or go to wikipedia. But the cherry on top is how the person who made it isn't even able to communicate information. The number of CPU cores comes after the GPU, RAM... the game DVR function.

Is it the number of cores the RAM has?!

God damn, what is this shit with non tech specs posted by big gaming sites? CPU might as well say "Yes", same for GPU, without any real technical specs in there.

Exactly. Like damn, if your not gonna go into detail with your "Tech Spec Comparison" then dont post it at all! All youre doing is spreading confusion and misinformation -__-

Amir0x

Banned
Is it really impossible for these sites to even once get the RAM names all the way right? In what universe is this difficult?

And lol at the CPU and GPU comparisons.

If these sites aren't intentionally trying to be deceptive, then they are just straight up daft. I don't know which is more damning.

Is it really impossible for these sites to even once get the RAM names all the way right? In what universe is this difficult?

If these sites aren't intentionally trying to be deceptive, then they are just straight up daft. I don't know which is more damning.

Seeing as these comparison charts have been done a billion times over, I don't see how either.

MilkBeard

This kind of stuff has happened before. Well, it shouldn't anymore, considering how easy it is to look up this information.

Does anyone remember reading EGM during the Dreamcast/PS2 launch days? There was this big hubbub about comparing how many polygons both system could push. The hilarious part is that they had an article that compared them and they used Sega's real-world number (in game with full effects) with Sony's maximum polygon output without effects. It was hilariously inaccurate, even if the PS2 could truthfully push more. Those numbers were something like 3 million for the Dreamcast, and 75 million for PS2. Hilariously skewed. I believe later on that 3 million number was proven to be pretty conservative anyway.

This universe, evidently.

Don't expect much from any of the larger gaming sites when they compare tech specs

Hilarious none of them can get the memory of the systems correct

Mr. X

Is the editor on vacation?

I'm dead at 360 having no optical drive.

How can such work be acceptable in this side of the tech industry? This is sad in a funny way.

Zomba13

Better comparison:

PS3:
Yes

PS4:
Probably yes

360:
Very much yes

Xbone:
Maybe Yes.

Stealth Edit Wii U:
Probably not but maybe with Mario?

I mean, Nintendoomed

adixon

Honestly it's probably 95% incompetence. Made possible by the fact that there are a bunch of english majors who spend more time talking to Sony/Microsoft marketing than they do talking or thinking about the hardware that actually runs games.

But I mean, at least get someone who knows how to pick parts for a new gaming pc to write up these comparisons, right? I'm sure there's someone working at each site who can do this.

NHale

So why be specific about CPU and not GPU? It's not because the CPU is known since Sony never said anything about the CPU.

Well I guess I know the answer to that question.

Zeth

If there was every any doubt that mainstream gaming press is utterly clueless about PC gaming...

This stuff isn't hard to get right with even a limited knowledge of the things you're talking about.

Samyy

Not sure if bias or just shitty comparison, but honestly all this shit keeps happening over and over and is starting to honestly make me wonder.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I actually facepalmed myself after reading this comparison chart.

Seriously who OK'd this to be published on the internet?

MilkBeard

By the way, they changed GDDR3 to DDR3, secretly.

But, they still haven't addressed some of the other issues. This isn't really an objective comparison. It's basically picking and choosing what to show.

Not to be against the bone, but no one is going to gleam any kind of understanding about the resolution discrepancy from looking at this chart.

It's DDR3 not GDDR3, they don't mention the ESRAM and there's no discussion of instructions per cycle

Instructions per who?

That's what your average mainstream buyer would say. Ultimately they'll look at the games and make comparisons. If great looking games like NBA 2K14 look comparable, that's all that would matter to them. Whoa Killzone, Whoa Ryse Son of Rome... both systems are delivering next gen even if one a little more than the other.

HardRojo

Instructions per who?

That's what your average mainstream buyer would say. Ultimately they'll look at the games and make comparisons. If great looking games like NBA 2K14 look comparable, that's all that would matter to them. Whoa Killzone, Whoa Ryse Son of Rome... both systems are delivering next gen even if one a little more than the other.

You come into a specs comparison and want to avoid mentioning specs? What?!

stryke

Instructions per who?

Is this thread about a spec comparison or a games comparison?

By the way, they changed GDDR3 to DDR3, secretly.

But, they still haven't addressed some of the other issues. This isn't really an objective comparison. It's basically picking and choosing what to show.

Not to be against the bone, but no one is going to gleam any kind of understanding about the resolution discrepancy from looking at this chart.

If you look at their comment section you'll see that they're slowly fixing things (like the PS3 controller and 360 optical drive) in the comparison as people point out what's incorrect. That's how poorly researched this thing is. The people that they're supposed to inform are actually the people that know the differences between the consoles.

GutsOfThor

You know, I have never taken gaming journos seriously but these last few weeks have proven that the majority of them are nothing but fucking hacks.

Top Bottom