• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Oil Spill Being Reported in the Gulf of Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Oil Spill Reported Near Deepwater Drilling Site in Gulf

The Coast Guard is investigating reports of a potentially large oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico not far from the Deepwater Horizon site. According to a knowledgeable source, the slick was sighted by a helicopter pilot on Friday and is about 100 miles long. A fishing boat captain said he went through the slick yesterday and it was strong enough to make his eyes burn.

According to the Times Picayune, the Coast Guard has confirmed they are investigating a potentially large 100 mile slick about 30 miles offshore. They are going to a site near the Matterhorn well site about 20 miles north of the BP Deepwater Horizon site, according to the paper. The Matterhorn field includes includes a deepwater drilling platform owned by W&T Technology. It was acquired last year from TotalFinaElf E&P.

Independent pilots are attempting to reach the slick today. Bonnie Schumaker with Wings of Care reported she saw a slick two days ago and is attempting to reach the site.

Also, another Louisiana fisherman reports that fresh oil is coming ashore near South Pass, LA, and that cleanup crews are laying new boom near the beach. He also reports that cleanup crews in four-wheeled vehicles were patrolling the beaches near the marsh filled coast spraying a substance on the beach.

Cleanup crews are still operating along the marshes and beach areas of Louisiana and other gulf states. The Bay Jimmy of Louisiana's Barataria Bay remains heavily oiled.

Oil is also being discovered in more populated areas too. With spring break coming, students and tourists are already heading to the Gulf to escape the winter up north. Recently a group of Missouri college kids came across oil off the beaches of Pensicola. "We were fishing with nets for shells, we call it shelling, and it was just brown, I thought it was shark poop at first," one incredulous student told local Pensacola station WEAR-TV.

"It kind of did surprise me with all the efforts I thought BP was making to clean up but obviously as you can see, there's still so much to do," said another.

Check out the entire TV report here.

More spring breakers will likely come in contact with oil as they migrate in greater numbers to the Gulf. Residents across the coast complain they continue to see oily sheen and a white dispersant like mix washing in, leaving unusual blobs of brown foam that sometimes shine like tiny rainbows on the shore.​
hV5fS.jpg

Photo of Macondo Well area March 19, 2011

Edit:
Here's an alternate source for the the folks who dislike the Huffington Post:
U.S. Coast Guard Investigating Oil Slick Reports in Gulf

And it should be noted that the Coast Guard has not confirmed the substance to be oil yet.

The Wall Street Journal said:
...Though the Coast Guard was able to confirm that there is a substance on the water's surface, it has not yet been able to determine if it is oil. Petty Officer Casey Ranel said that those that observed the sheen from a helicopter said they saw no sheen associated with the substance...

Edit 2:
vpance said:
Nothing to see here, resume worrying about the other disasters and conflicts.

US Coast Guard: Reported Gulf Slick Likely Silt From Dredging

HOUSTON -(Dow Jones)- What was reported as a miles-long oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico is likely a plume of silt emanating from a dredging operation on the Mississippi River, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesman said Sunday.

Still, the Coast Guard is testing the substance, which has an associated rainbow sheen similar to that resulting from oil spills, to determine exactly what it is, said spokesman Henry Cambre.

It's possible, Cambre said, that whatever is causing the sheen was trapped in river bed sediment and was released by the dredging work. The Coast Guard said it expects results from those tests to be available later Sunday.

The Coast Guard station in New Orleans received a report Saturday morning of a three-mile-long patch of rainbow sheen south of Grand Isle, La. Two subsequent sightings that were relayed to the Coast Guard had the slick growing; the last caller said it stretched from six miles south of the coast to 100 miles offshore.

Officers confirmed the existence of a substance near the water's surface, but that initial investigation was cut short when their helicopter was diverted to a separate search and rescue mission. The Coast Guard has since dispatched additional aircraft and boats from Mobile, Ala., and New Orleans to the scene.​

El Sloth

Banned
Here's an alternate source for the the folks who dislike the Huffington Post:
U.S. Coast Guard Investigating Oil Slick Reports in Gulf

And it should be noted that the Coast Guard has not confirmed the substance to be oil yet.

The Wall Street Journal said:
...Though the Coast Guard was able to confirm that there is a substance on the water's surface, it has not yet been able to determine if it is oil. Petty Officer Casey Ranel said that those that observed the sheen from a helicopter said they saw no sheen associated with the substance...

Thread title should be more like "Oil that was never removed last year is miraculously still there". Stuff like this is gonna be popping up for years.

Diablos said:
Between this and Libya gas is going to fucking SKYROCKET. $5/gal here we come

haven't people in europe been paying MORE than that for a while?

in any case this won't affect me that much. I don't drive that often.

The timing is wonderful

I mean, as wonderful as anything related to an oil spill could be

2 days ago:

Sarah Palin blasted President Obama on Tuesday for what she called his "anti-drilling mentality" and said the president was waging a "war on domestic oil and gas exploration and production" that was resulting in high gas prices for Americans.

In a Facebook post published Tuesday night, Palin outlines a list of what she claimed was "evidence of the President's anti-drilling mentality and his culpability in the high gas prices hurting Americans."

Citing the Obama administration's moratorium on drilling, which the White House imposed last year in response to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Palin laid blame on the Obama administration for rising oil prices in the U.S.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20043796-503544.html

Of course, local oil drilling has zero effect on gas prices.

Slavik81

xbhaskarx said:
This is why we need to switch to nuclear energy, to avoid environmental disasters.
I asked someone about this earlier, but lost the thread.

How would that help? Nuclear power mainly provides electricity. Oil is not used much for electrical generation.

Slavik81 said:
I asked someone about this earlier, but lost the thread.

How would that help? Nuclear power mainly provides electricity. Oil is not used much for electrical generation.

Aren't there cars out there that are completely powered by electricity?

medrew

Misanthropy said:
Ummmm....We don't really use nuclear energy for our cars and transportation. We use oil. Also cars can't harness nuclear power since cars don't have nuclear reactors and electrical cars get their energy mostly from coal and renewable energy plants. Just thought I'd let you know. :D

He's being sarcastic, because you know, of Japan and everything.

El Sloth said:
Residents across the coast complain they continue to see oily sheen and a white dispersant like mix washing in, leaving unusual blobs of brown foam that sometimes shine like tiny rainbows on the shore.
charlie-sheen-crying.jpg

So that's what happened to Charlie.......

low-G

Messypandas said:
The fusion reactor just powered the flux capacitator... it still needed petrol to drive :(

Surely if Doc Brown had simply added an electric motor to the Delorian...

Mr. Fusion and the hoverboard always made me depressed because I knew, even as a child, I'd never see the like of them in my lifetime.

low-G said:
Surely if Doc Brown had simply added an electric motor to the Delorian...

Mr. Fusion and the hoverboard always made me depressed because I knew, even as a child, I'd never see the like of them in my lifetime.

then we wouldn't have had BTTF3... wait, this is a great idea!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Messypandas said:
The fusion reactor just powered the flux capacitator... it still needed petrol to drive :(

Petrol? Pretty sure it used gas. If you're going to correct someone at least be correct.

antonz

lightless_shado said:
haven't people in europe been paying MORE than that for a while?

in any case this won't affect me that much. I don't drive that often.
Europe pays obscene prices because they take it in the ass on gasoline taxes.
Free healthcare isnt free afterall;)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
mre said:
Petrol? Pretty sure it used gas. If you're going to correct someone at least be correct.
Exactly... speak proper American! Gawd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom