• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Oil Spill Being Reported in the Gulf of Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh1ner

It would be so fucked up if an oil tanker somehow managed to dump its cargo and then they thought it was a great idea not to tell anyone. I don't think the oil companies are there yet. Sure they are willing to infiltrate an entire country infrastructure, own some of the battery patents, increase the price of oil per barrel when they feel like it... but dumping or whatever and running... is it even on the same level as those? :| I have no faith in oil companies regardless if they were involved in whatever the hell that is.

Nothing to see here = something to see here?

MG_0837.jpg

But as Louisiana officials and the Coast Guard conduct tests to determine the source, an all-too-familiar scene is developing over a 30-mile stretch of coast: Oil and oil byproducts such as tarballs have come rolling in. And teams of workers are rolling out a containment boom—the fencelike structures designed to keep oil from washing ashore—as oil-skimming vessels try to intercept the oil on the water's surface. And where the oil has landed, cleanup crews are scouring up the petroleum mess.

"We have 10,000 feet of hard boom and 9,000 feet of five-inch sorbent boom ordered into the area. We have 5,000 feet of each boom already delivered and staged in Grand Isle," Coast Guard Capt. Jonathan Burton said in a statement.

Meanwhile, residents of the Louisiana Gulf community of Grand Isle, who thought they'd finally turned the page on the nightmare of last year's BP spill, have noticed crude invading once again.

"I was out there from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. yesterday and the stuff came in in waves onto the island and through Caminada Pass," Grand Isle resident Betty Doud told the Times- Picayune. "There were these orange, nasty waves and black oil mixed with it. The oil was in the rocks along the pass."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...l-slick-as-louisiana-coastline-is-oiled-again

rpmurphy

The compound is reported to be Louisiana sweet crude. Source of it is currently unknown. Coast Guard has sent samples for analysis, the results of which is expected later this week.
Source: WSJ

Hari Seldon

Jesus christ how the fuck long does it take to determine if it is oil or not? I mean it has been a while since I have had high school chemistry but god damn.

Edit: Nvm, read the WSJ article linked above. It is oil, they are trying to determine whose oil it is. Someone better be in deep shit if this leaked and they didn't own up to it.

Sh1ner

Hari Seldon said:
Jesus christ how the fuck long does it take to determine if it is oil or not? I mean it has been a while since I have had high school chemistry but god damn.

Edit: Nvm, read the WSJ article linked above. It is oil, they are trying to determine whose oil it is. Someone better be in deep shit if this leaked and they didn't own up to it.
Holy fuck I can't believe it. If they get away with just a fine I won't believe in any form of corporate justice.

I'm no scientist, but shouldn't they be able to tell if there's oil in the water without extensive tests?

Something else is going on here.

SUPREME1

Banned
GOP:

"We are currently bracing ourselves for the inevitable injustice that will manifest itself in the form of a shakedown of our poor petro overlords by the liberal elitist administration."

: (

rpmurphy

CrocMother said:
I'm no scientist, but shouldn't they be able to tell if there's oil in the water without extensive tests?

Something else is going on here.
Maybe because the Coast Guard didn't want to confirm what it was until they actually collected some samples rather than looking at the sheen from a helicopter.

@last 2 articles: lol what a "gotcha!" moment. The federal government could do much better with spill control after last year's spill but apparently not quite yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom