• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Wii UBISoft Quality UBISoft Wii Game From UBISoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kagari said:
My question is... WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY PORTING A 3(?) YEAR OLD GAME.

Here's Ubisoft's logic:

"Our original, quality games sold a million each! I bet our old ports will sell even more!"

And yet, when they don't, they continue with the ports.
Seriously, they have the worst business sense in the industry.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Adumaha said:
358o391.gif
oh Lord :lol :lol

FightyF

Banned
WAR ISN'T PRETTY

agrajag said:
I love how in the last gen no one said "man, the tech isn't there yet to do realistic graphics. All the games should be super stylized because any game that attempts realism is going to look like shit on PS2, Gamecube and X Box." Yet when a system that is somewhat more powerful than those three comes out, it is deemed that it isn't fit for realistic graphics all of a sudden.

Why do people treat the Wii like it's fucking N64?

re4-3.jpg

rogue-squadron-rebel-strike-2.jpg

The hell were Capcom and Factor 5 thinking? They should've gone for a cartoony stylized look instead.

What are you on about? Brothers in Arms doesn't look cartoony at all. Secondly, half of it is art direction. I'd wager that the polycount in BiA is comparable to RE4 or Factor 5's games. It's the artstyle that differs.

As demonstrated, it looks fairly close to the Xbox version...so I don't really see the problem here.

rakka

What are you on about? Brothers in Arms doesn't look cartoony at all.
he was replying to the comment that games going for a more realistic look on last-gen hardware will look like the dogshit posted in the OP.

Secondly, half of it is art direction. I'd wager that the polycount in BiA is comparable to RE4 or Factor 5's games. It's the artstyle that differs.
artstyle aside, if you're saying this game looks anywhere near re4 or the rs games graphically there's something wrong with you :\

Linkup

FightyF said:
What are you on about? Brothers in Arms doesn't look cartoony at all. Secondly, half of it is art direction. I'd wager that the polycount in BiA is comparable to RE4 or Factor 5's games. It's the artstyle that differs.

As demonstrated, it looks fairly close to the Xbox version...so I don't really see the problem here.

I'd wager you know nothing about either games poly count. RS's poly count is comparable to this BiA game? Holy smokems

J-Rzez

agrajag said:
I love how in the last gen no one said "man, the tech isn't there yet to do realistic graphics. All the games should be super stylized because any game that attempts realism is going to look like shit on PS2, Gamecube and X Box." Yet when a system that is somewhat more powerful than those three comes out, it is deemed that it isn't fit for realistic graphics all of a sudden.

Because the bar has been dramatically raised since last gen. This would be totally acceptable last gen, but it's not now. Even if RE4 is the some of the best that could be rung out of the Wii, compared to the PS3 and 360 doing "realistic" graphical styles, they shouldn't even try it and would be better off playing a more non-realistic approach.

RagnarokX

J-Rzez said:
Because the bar has been dramatically raised since last gen. This would be totally acceptable last gen, but it's not now. Even if RE4 is the some of the best that could be rung out of the Wii, compared to the PS3 and 360 doing "realistic" graphical styles, they shouldn't even try it and would be better off playing a more non-realistic approach.
You missed the point. It isn't that Wii games could ever look as good PS3 or 360 graphically, but they should at least look as good as or better than the best GCN and XBox games. RE4 still holds up, BIA does not.

Terrell

ivysaur12 said:
Is Gearbox really making this piece of shit? :-\
No, I believe that Gearbox is semi-supervising Demiurge Studios making (read: porting) this piece of shit.

RagnarokX said:
Well a Wii game should look considerably better than an old Xbox game.

Here's a gif:

25ivos5.gif
YOU WON THE THREAD.

J-Rzez

RagnarokX said:
You missed the point. It isn't that Wii games could ever look as good PS3 or 360 graphically, but they should at least look as good as or better than the best GCN and XBox games. RE4 still holds up, BIA does not.

Even RE4 can look dated anymore compared to now. But anyways, I agree, this is way worse than RE4, and there's no excuse for it.

Hmm, I thought it looked pretty good for a Wii game after seeing Dogz and Babyz and other shit like that, but I see that the general opinion is quite the opposite.

sphinx

the piano man
VALKYRAY said:
i think it's nintendo's fault.

Yeah, fucking Nintendo, they are a bunch of assholes and morons.

it's all their fault, I hope they learn the lesson and do something right for once next gen.

RagnarokX said:
Why should B-range Wii games look as good as big-budget blockbusters from last gen? Even Nintendo has only managed/bothered to do that a few times on the Wii.

RagnarokX

Of All Trades said:
Why should B-range Wii games look as good as big-budget blockbusters from last gen? Even Nintendo has only managed/bothered to do that a few times on the Wii.
Better question: Why make the B-range Wii games at all?

Terrell

RagnarokX said:
Better question: Why make the B-range Wii games at all?
Because being a B-range title on 360 and PS3 costs $5 million too much in development?

Just throwing out suggestions.

RagnarokX

Terrell said:
Because being a B-range title on 360 and PS3 costs $5 million too much in development?

Just throwing out suggestions.
Well Ubisoft said these games aren't making them money. It seems like a wasted effort. If they actually made an effort they might see some actual sales.

nightside

FightyF said:

lol what:lol?

Xater

ivysaur12 said:
Is Gearbox really making this piece of shit? :-\

No. I think they would put in more effort. The port is done by Demiurge Software and according to IGN the only other thing they have done before is a UT2004 mod called Clone Bandits.

Fightyf I still remember how gorgeous that level from Rebel Strike looked. The bump mapping, the shadows and lighting were fantastic, some of the best graphics on Gamecube. BIA wont have those effects at all hence why it looks crap, even if the polycount is somewhat near (which I dont think it is)

farnham

Banned
Xater said:
No. I think they would put in more effort. The port is done by Demiurge Software and according to IGN the only other thing they have done before is a UT2004 mod called Clone Bandits.
okay nevermind

ill stick with the proper gearbox game (samba de amigo)

VOOK said:
And the PC version of Mass Effect...

okay here comes my interest again

i actually heard a podcast with the lead designer or whatever and they seemed to be a very competent team..

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Xater said:

And the PC version of Mass Effect...

RagnarokX said:
Well a Wii game should look considerably better than an old Xbox game.

Here's a gif:

25ivos5.gif

I knew this thread was going places! Yes!

Great to see people sticking it to Ubisoft. Their public talks on how they were going to bring game quality up to Nintendo quality levels alone is worth this backlash.

legend166

Seriously, this game calls for a Miyamoto esque "why?" moment. When Retro were making that car combat game, Miyamoto asked them why they were making it. They couldn't give him an answer.

Why is this game being made? It's not going to sell. The hardcore know it's a 3 year old port, the semi-casual (ugh, hate using dumb phrases) that made CoD4 a 10 million seller aren't going to buy it, and the Wii Sport casuals won't touch it.

Waste of time and resources for everyone involved.

Sad to see BiA ridiculed like this as the two Xbox/PC games from 3 years ago were fantastic. But that's what you get for a second-rate port of 3 year old games. Hell's Highway looks pretty sweet though.

legend166

Is this even the two games combined anymore? I remember that was how it was announced, but I remember reading they'd changed it so it was just Road to Hill 30.

I actually playing through it on the PC. Not as good as I hoped. Way too linear. The invisible walls are killing me.

legend166 said:
Is this even the two games combined anymore? I remember that was how it was announced, but I remember reading they'd changed it so it was just Road to Hill 30.

I actually playing through it on the PC. Not as good as I hoped. Way too linear. The invisible walls are killing me.

I don't think they've even given a straight answer about that. =\ There was an interview with some goon not long ago ago saying this Wii port had been finished for a while now, they're just waiting to launch it alongside Hell's Highway. Probably to try and trick some consumers, considering the box art for both games look very similar.

EctoPrime

legend166 said:
Why is this game being made? It's not going to sell. The hardcore know it's a 3 year old port, the semi-casual (ugh, hate using dumb phrases) that made CoD4 a 10 million seller aren't going to buy it, and the Wii Sport casuals won't touch it.

Waste of time and resources for everyone involved.

You missed "Clog retail with budget games" which Ubisoft is currently using for Ps2 and DS games. When a game costs $100 and you can get little Timmy 2 for $40 parents will buy it, No matter what it is. This game will drop to that level in six months.

Sega, EA, Activision and "shudder" Phoenix Games all do this.

kswiston

Htown said:
It looks ridiculous.

Look, all I'm asking is that devs TRY. Do you see Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and RE4?

Wii games need to look like THAT instead of like a World War II version of freaking GOLDENEYE.

Actually, one would expect more Wii games to surpass RE4 and Twilight Princess graphically, considering both were Gamecube ports with added widescreen presentation. I haven't played Metroid Prime 3, so I can't comment on it, but I wish more Wii games at least approached the visuals in Super Mario Galaxy. Considering that was a first generation title, one can only hope that similar visuals will be common place on the Wii in a couple years.

I know! Make your games on the Gamecube, but instead of releasing them, port to the Wii!

It's so crazy sounding it could actually work :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
thank you Ubi, for continuing to make Wii games, for it is your games alone that could produce a thread and animated gifs of such amazing quality. Keep up the goo...... well, keep up the work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom