• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANT-MAN | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
hell, petes been on screen with mj, and he did much worse to her

Yeah that was stupid but I think what they portrayed with that scene is what they had planned for Ant-Man to do, wasn't it? Him accidentally hitting her out of frustration and not intending to?

I've looked a lot more into the Ant-Man thing and If that panel was the only thing and the intentions were messed up by the artist, I don't think it's fair that panel is held over him.

I find it hilarious just how much to an extreme Millar took it

ultimates006_19.jpg

pym-slap-2.jpg

Ultimate Pym is such a son of a bitch.

J10

Banned
Yeah that was stupid but I think what they portrayed with that scene is what they had planned for Ant-Man to do, wasn't it? Him accidentally hitting her out of frustration and not intending to?

I've looked a lot more into the Ant-Man thing and If that panel was the only thing and the intentions were messed up by the artist, I don't think it's fair that panel is held over him.

It's exacerbated by the fact that later writers decided to keep that thread going for some dumb reason. Now everybody makes jokes about hurr durr don't you have a wife to beat.

Wazzy

Banned
I find it hilarious just how much to an extreme Millar took it

ultimates006_19.jpg

pym-slap-2.jpg

Ultimate Pym is such a son of a bitch.
Yeah I think these were the ones I saw. Ultimate universe Pym is evil but none of those are his original character right?
It's exacerbated by the fact that later writers decided to keep that thread going for some dumb reason. Now everybody makes jokes about hurr durr don't you have a wife to beat.

Like? Or are we talking about Ultimate universe posted above?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

he was having a psychotic break and lashed out. it could have been anyone in jans place, and it still would have happened. but he still has the "lol wifebeater" stigma behind him because writers following fumbled the ball to make it seem so much worse than it was. and noone really wanted to touch it after that, so it set.

J10

Banned
They do it in 616 as well. Every now and then when one of the Avengers or somebody has a disagreement with him they'll throw it back in his face. And the writers chose to play it up by making his relationship with Janet get shittier and shittier as time went on.

Wazzy

Banned
he was having a psychotic break and lashed out. it could have been anyone in jans place, and it still would have happened. but he still has the "lol wifebeater" stigma behind him because writers following fumbled the ball to make it seem so much worse than it was. and noone really wanted to touch it after that, so it set.
Ah. Yeah the whole thing is just weird.

They do it in 616 as well. Every now and then when one of the Avengers or somebody has a disagreement with him they'll throw it back in his face. And the writers chose to play it up by making his relationship with Janet get shittier and shittier as time went on.

Oh ew. :/

I don't understand why they want to ruin a character that way.

Parallax

Like? Or are we talking about Ultimate universe posted above?

hawkeye, his supposed friend threatening to come after him if he does it again, various characters throwing it in his face(like norman osborn and carol danvers, among others.)

its brought up quite a bit when hank is on panel. which is funny because with all the long histories of characters, and the countless things forgotten, its the only thing that sticks.

Parallax

Someone needs to do a palate cleanse series for Ant-Man like Fraction's Hawkeye or Ellis' Moon Knight.

no. that needs to stay. its a part of who he is. tony starking him would be lame. what should happen is that everytime someone cracks on him about it, he throws their past back in their faces

case in point

z8JYwvG.jpg

Wazzy

Banned
hawkeye, his supposed friend threatening to come after him if he does it again, various characters throwing it in his face(like norman osborn and carol danvers, among others.)

its brought up quite a bit when hank is on panel. which is funny because with all the long histories of characters, and the countless things forgotten, its the only thing that sticks.

Ooohhhh I was meaning does he commit more abusive acts but it doesn't seem like he does so I don't understand why this one is held over him when it was an accident. Ultimate one is pure scum though.

Parallax

Ooohhhh I was meaning does he commit more abusive acts but it doesn't seem like he does so I don't understand why this one is held over him when it was an accident. Ultimate one is pure scum though.

its a one time thing. and they bring it up because its what hes most known for at this point.

J10

Banned
I dunno if I'd call that obscure. It was a plot point in Incredible Hulk (and so far the only time Stan Lee has ever played a guy who directly effected the plot).

Blader

Hm. Not sure how to take this.

On one hand, I would love if somehow Janet could come back young and still be the main Wasp but on the other hand, it would be awkward and I want some form of Wasp in the movie.

I'm really getting more and more annoyed with Edgar Wrights changes but we'll see if it turns out great or not.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Aside from being revealing about where some of the priorities for this movie are, you're forgetting that Marvel signed off on it. If Feige and co. didn't want an Ant-Man movie with Lang as the hero, Pym as the older mentor and Janet out of the picture, they would have either passed on Wright's pitch or asked him to rewrite it as a Hank/Janet story. They didn't. So it's as much Marvel's decision to go the Scott/Hope route as it was Wright's.

shield

I dunno if I'd call that obscure. It was a plot point in Incredible Hulk (and so far the only time Stan Lee has ever played a guy who directly effected the plot).

More surprised that they're making an, albeit small, reference to the Incredible Hulk which has been pretty much ignored and retconned ever since it came out

J10

Banned
I don't see that from Marvel. It's in the phase 1 boxset. There are direct references to it in Avengers and Agents of SHIELD.

Yeah there's even a One-Shot all about it. Marvel doesn't try to tuck TIH under the rug like they're ashamed of it. But referencing that specific scene and soda brand is pretty obscure.

Tobor

More surprised that they're making an, albeit small, reference to the Incredible Hulk which has been pretty much ignored and retconned ever since it came out

It hasn't been retconned except for the teaser at the end. Everything else is still valid.

Marvel probably doesn't talk about it that much because of the lead actor change. I doubt it's because they're ashamed of it or something, it was an ok movie. They want the spotlight on Ruffalo.

shield

It hasn't been retconned except for the teaser at the end. Everything else is still valid.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

I don't see that from Marvel. It's in the phase 1 boxset. There are direct references to it in Avengers and Agents of SHIELD.

Of course, just to a lesser extent than all the other phase 1 movies. Things like none of the actors introduced in the film appearing in any other MCU movies, not releasing an 'Art of' book, and moving the spotlight away Norton's Banner as others have mentioned makes the film feel like a less significant entry into the MCU franchise.

"Ignored" was probably a bit strong on my part

Tobor

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

Of course, just to a lesser extent than all the other phase 1 movies. Things like none of the actors introduced in the film appearing in any other MCU movies, not releasing an 'Art of' book, and moving the spotlight away Norton's Banner as others have mentioned makes the film feel like a less significant entry into the MCU franchise.

"Ignored" was probably a bit strong on my part

Up until now, there hasn't been a good story reason for any of the actors from TIH to show up, IMO.

Since SHIELD is no longer around to keep the military off Banner's back, I wouldn't mind seeing a Ross cameo in Ultron, but I doubt they have the time.

shield

Up until now, there hasn't been a good story reason for any of the actors from TIH to show up, IMO.

Since SHIELD is no longer around to keep the military off Banner's back, I wouldn't mind seeing a Ross cameo in Ultron, but I doubt they have the time.

Yeah I really hope Ross shows up sometime too, William Hurt did a great job.

Blues1990

I don't know why people are saying 'The Incredible Hulk' is a bad movie. It did a lot of things right in my book, and I still watch it back-to-back with the rest of the movies that belong in the MCU cannon.

Quick

Banned

Teaser at the end? You mean the one hinting that Banner has the Hulk controlled?

Not quite retconned, since he was able to transform into the Hulk at will.

He's "always angry."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom