• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem could be releasing on next-gen consoles in the future.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-ver/189614/bioware-no-descarta-anthem-en-nueva-generacion/

In the framework of our talk with Scylla Costa, we asked the producer of Anthem if, due to its arrival in a late stage of the present generation of consoles, BioWare considered adapting the online role-playing game to the successors of Xbox One and PlayStation 4, a scenario that the developer did not rule out but noting that the release date of these systems will be important for an eventual adaptation.

"We're going to launch the game on February 22nd, so we're planning for PC, PS4 and Xbox, those 3 platforms," said Costa first. "If, in the future, new hardware appears, then we can definitely think about bringing Anthem to the new hardware, but it depends on when it comes out," he added.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ok? Bungie said Destiny was a 10 year game if I remember correctly. It'll be Anthem 2 or whatever.

I'll play Anthem, but I think the lifetime developers give these games doesn't add up. Fortnite and PUBG can be 10 year games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
https://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-ver/189614/bioware-no-descarta-anthem-en-nueva-generacion/

In the framework of our talk with Scylla Costa, we asked the producer of Anthem if, due to its arrival in a late stage of the present generation of consoles, BioWare considered adapting the online role-playing game to the successors of Xbox One and PlayStation 4, a scenario that the developer did not rule out but noting that the release date of these systems will be important for an eventual adaptation.

"We're going to launch the game on February 22nd, so we're planning for PC, PS4 and Xbox, those 3 platforms," said Costa first. "If, in the future, new hardware appears, then we can definitely think about bringing Anthem to the new hardware, but it depends on when it comes out," he added.

Not just Anthem, I suspect we will see many of these GAAS games appear that way.

Fortnite, Overwatch, Smite, Warframe.

These games will have next gen versions with digital upgrades, but they will remain compatible with current gen versions to not split the player base.

I even suspect the paid ones will be free or “minimal cost” upgrades for current digital owners.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Not just Anthem, I suspect we will see many of these GAAS games appear that way.

Fortnite, Overwatch, Smite, Warframe.

These games will have next gen versions with digital upgrades, it remain compatible with current gen versions to not split the player base.

I even suspect the paid ones will be free or “minimal cost” upgrades for current digital owners.

I'm going to pray too much so that apocalypse does not happen

AnotherOne

So that's the build we saw at E3.
When will people learn(not you specifically) that 90% of reveal game footage is running on uber PC or just made to look extra good to impress but come launch obvious downgrade.. the moment I saw anthem unveil all i could think about was" I cant wait to see the actual game at launch"

Kagey K

Banned
I'm going to pray too much so that apocalypse does not happen

Those 2 games have been out long enough that they may get a full 2 sequel, but I can’t see them giving up all that money they are getting now and trying to start from scratch.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Those 2 games have been out long enough that they may get a full 2 sequel, but I can’t see them giving up all that money they are getting now and trying to start from scratch.
Do they really need to? WoW and Minecraft have proven a game can have a thriving population without resorting to annual/bi-annual sequels as long as they stay up to date with content.

Codes 208

That’s why I said Originally that they will be upgrades of what we already own.

But if they decided they wanted a clean break, the generation transition would be the time to do it. That way they could carry OW2 or FN2 for the next 7 - 10 years.
Blizzard has blizarro magic that lets their games pretty much stay alive forever. While I certainly consider Fortnite a fad, with its constant flow of new content and epic more concerned with developing its own store, I wouldn’t be surprised if fortnite had the legs to outlast other BR titles. Especially compared to something like blackout which will likely be outdated by this year’s CoD’s latest gimmick.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I honestly thought this was going to be a “... says Hellpoint Dev” post.

Disappointed

Last edited:

elCT

Neo Member
How is that news tho? I mean of course it will be on the next-gen, as any other big game with an online-focus. It's only logical with PS5 and Xbox Scarlet (or whatever its name) being just a year away.

EDMIX

So, this proves that there's gonna be no BC ..?

? What? Ummmm a company can still re-release a game even with BC. The PS4 version of Anthem will still be THE PS4 VERSION OF ANTHEM, if they make a PS5 version of it, no BC is going to suddenly make it gain features over night. It would be like saying if XONE as really BC to the first XB and you could play Halo 1, 2 etc, that would be the same as MCC remakes of them or something. As keep in mind, MS has BC to 360 and still remastered Halo 3, 4 etc on XONE.

You having the ability to play the game on a new system has nothing to do with the publisher wanting to sell you port ,remaster etc.

Will the next gen releases also have a convoluted release schedule that will require a published spread sheet and understanding of astrology and trig?

NahaNago

This does make me wonder if the focus had been to release this game on ps5 and xb1x2 would this game have looked like its original trailer.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
In the extreme case they might charge for a patch if it's not done systematically buy a certain company.
Money making above all else ...

NahaNago

Rather than a patch an Anthem 1.5 release would be best with all dlc, graphics heavily touched up , and more story.

Top Bottom