• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Downgrade

Dibils2k

whats that got to do with preordering? do you only preorder based on visuals?

Witcher 3 was technically downgraded... turned out a pretty good game i would say

Ramzy

E3 2017:

FrR8YN7.jpg

Fbh

We already had a thread about this and yeah, it sucks and will make me doubt any future Bioware announcement.

But while I agree with the "don't preorder" message lets not act as if the reveal was the only footage we got of the game until launch. There have been a ton of newer trailers and gameplay videos which have reflected the way the game actually looks, and everyone on every platform where this will release was given a chance to try it out for free

really!!again a thread about this,when do people learn that most trailers from E3 are on high end PC's,OMG give it a rest

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
really!!again a thread about this,when do people learn that most trailers from E3 are on high end PC's,OMG give it a rest

It's not like this is the way the game looks on PC and consoles were downgraded. The game was downgraded across the board. Even on high end PC's this game looks absolutely nothing like that reveal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gosh, another downgrade situation. For whatever reason, this stuff never bugs me at all. Am I the only one? I find it fascinating - a window into development. Outside of something like Aliens from Gearbox, I don't believe any developer is out to deceive anybody (and even then, I don't think those doing the actual work on Aliens wanted to let people down). I get why people would be disappointed, of course, don't get me wrong but it somehow doesn't bug me any longer. The Spider-Man puddle thing was especially insane - it felt like people were descending into madness.

It's not like this is the way the game looks on PC and consoles were downgraded. The game was downgraded across the board. Even on high end PC's this game looks absolutely nothing like that reveal.
SO what ,its nothing new,that always happened,seriously I don't see any issue with this,the game was made to run good on all platforms.and consoles aren't high end and they will never be,complaining about this doesn't solve anything,like I said this happened every time when promoting multiplatform games,if by now you didn't learn the lesson that means you're really naive.

Last edited:
How do people fall for this everytime lmao. Do people think that hardware magically gets more powerful over time so a game that is going to release in 2-3 years is going to look exactly like what was showcased?

c'mon.

Publishers will continue to do this because people keep falling for it. Do yourself a favour next E3, don't watch it.

Winter John

I understand why people who are into graphics would be pissed. I find Bioware's total lack of clarity around their microtransactions more of an issue. I like the gameplay but I ain't buying it until I know how badly they affect the game

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
jesus christ that's a huge downgrade. You'd think Watch Dogs taught publishers not to lie, but no, it's just taught us to always assume they're lying.

LMJ

To be fair I don't believe Watchdogs was ever said to be running on current gen consoles and was shown before they were finalized, Anthem was said to be running on current hardware (X if memory serves) and not even PC approaches the reveal footage, one comes off as far more disingenuous...

dark10x

'...on a pc coming from 2049.'
It looks nice but not in a way to suggest it's unrealistic for PC. All the typical Frostbite issues are visible in that footage. The CBR-like patterns, LOD pop-in galore and other issues. It was definitely a thing running in Frostbite. There is a PC game shipping soon that blows it away, really (on a very high-end PC, of course).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Total bait and switch. This is right up there with Watch Dogs, maybe worse.

. . .bait and switch? Despite you having EVERY opportunity to play the game and see if it was something you might want to get invest in? Right.

The entitlement of this generation of gamer never ceases to amaze me. Here you have a situation where you have every opportunity to sample a game before it launches and you STILL moan that you've been taken on a ride.

iHaunter

It looks nice but not in a way to suggest it's unrealistic for PC. All the typical Frostbite issues are visible in that footage. The CBR-like patterns, LOD pop-in galore and other issues. It was definitely a thing running in Frostbite. There is a PC game shipping soon that blows it away, really (on a very high-end PC, of course).

Don't forget life-less NPCs. Frostbite engine has that down!

. . .bait and switch? Despite you having EVERY opportunity to play the game and see if it was something you might want to get invest in? Right.

The entitlement of this generation of gamer never ceases to amaze me. Here you have a situation where you have every opportunity to sample a game before it launches and you STILL moan that you've been taken on a ride.
Lol @ "this generation of gamer". Making some assumptions there. I'm in my 40's, so I can probably qualify as every generation of gamer at this point. :p

Regardless, I've had one opportunity to play it, less than a month prior to release. Much of the gameplay videos they've previously shown have been brief and not very telling.

As for entitlement, I expect the finished product to be comparable or better than what they show when trying to get people excited, if what they're showing is "in game" and/or "in engine" as they've claimed. In other words, I expect them to deliver on the expectations that they themselves have set.

dark10x

As for entitlement, I expect the finished product to be comparable or better than what they show when trying to get people excited, if what they're showing is "in game" and/or "in engine" as they've claimed. In other words, I expect them to deliver on the expectations that they themselves have set.
Why exactly?

KINDERFELD

Banned
Its tantamount to false advertising just like almost all the Dayz Gone gameplay trailers are running at 60fps when the game will be anything but that.

Ballthyrm

In the perfect world we wouldn't show any picture of a game before it comes out.
Everybody who says it is false advertising is disingenuous, most of the time we get a much better picture
of the actual product even before it comes out. Hence the downgrade talks.

You were NOT entitled to get what the first video showed, there is no written contract somewhere telling the developer
that they 100% have to deliver everything on a video they made 6 month ago.
If people could stop living if the world where we compare physical things with software that would be great.

For more info on the subject: Extra credit covered the subject pretty well.

Words to live by:
  • never pre-order
  • just WAIT until it is patched
  • vote with your wallet
  • live and let live
  • make your own damn opinion
Patience is something that people seems to have forgotten. Just play the thing in front of you.
The whole hype cycle is people buying in to marketing.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
These kind of visuals and overall complexity of the games's world etc. can only be possible if Anthem was a PC exclusive and even then you probably need x2 2080Tis just to run it on max settings with locked 30FPS in 1080p - so yeah, even next-gen cosoles can't handle such a thing even with rumored 16GB RAM, 12 TFLOPS GPU (which'll already be obsolete at launch and VRAM limited) and 12 Core CPU with not even 4.5-5GHz Core Clock.

I personally find these completely unreasonable and unrealistic "proof of concept" presentations completely pointless cuz they're not represent of what we'll get in the end. Just show the real fucking game and how shitty it will look and as possible on current gen consoles - it's okay to show it right from the start cuz we'll know it anyway at a later date. so what's the fuckin' point?

Last edited:

RuhRo

After all the hand-wringing I actually came away from that video surprised at how modest the supposed downgrade seems.

Last edited:

nowhat

It looks nice but not in a way to suggest it's unrealistic for PC.
Not that I care that much about graphical downgrades (a certain level of bullshots is to be expected in the industry - and yes, there are instances like the "puddlegate" which are just insane) - but wasn't that footage advertised as running on a One X? Which, going by preview footage, obviously isn't the case.

Biggest promotional lie yet imo.

Even Ubisoft with Watch Dogs stunt might be less guilty in this regard.

Can't wait for next gen where devs gets to play with a gpu around gtx 1080 perf or even faster as a target, instead of 7850... hurry up and give us ps5 and nextxbox already.

eot

Banned
To care I would first have to care about Anthem :/
What the fuck BioWare, get your shit together, make a good RPG again

Last edited:

LMJ

Games go through changes all the time in development, this is perfectly understandable, just look at Spider-Man the suit itself became far less glossy because Insomniac realized they were going for more real cloth like feel rather than this weird sheen they had. And there are plenty more examples as well

I feel for Devs, but there is a very easy way to ensure that the bulk of gamers won't cry downgrade in the future if you show an early version of your game simply put these words on the screen as a watermark...

"Represents an unfinished product subject to change, work in progress final work may change, or something along these lines"

However if you don't have your demo running on actual hardware do not put

"being played on a current console"
"everything you see from this point on is running on current Hardware"

Or anything along these lines because then it comes off as I said before, disingenuous as hell.

Phobia

I played the demo, I liked the demo, I preordered the game. Not because I want any fancy exclusives, not because I want to support the devs, just purely because I use preordering as a way to slowly pay off games instead of dropping 60 bucks on release day. I'm over people telling me not to pre-order anything.

The graphics were downgraded, but the fun was not downgraded (to me). I get that some people, (IE 90% of the users on this sub) don't like the game, be it because of EA or because the demo was shaky or whatever, but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to playing it.

Do we really need 3 new threads everyday about how much you don't like Anthem? It's getting super old and I've only been active here a week. Is this the norm for this site?

Phobia

Not nearly as bad. Game still looks incredible. Someone in this thread actually said its worse, but I think they're misremembering how bad Watchdogs was compared to that first E3 demo.

Woo-Fu

Banned
That's why it is a target. You aim for it. Sometimes you miss. Sometimes by a lot. :)

Last edited:

Dthomp

On the flipside I am excited and will be buying it. Liked the demo, graphically speaking it's more then fine. Don't get so wrapped up in stuff that is shown years prior to a release. Many things change, as in maybe that was what was shot for at the time, but hardware? or other things caused a downgrade. The thing that I have started to ask myself more then anything else these days is "Is it/Will it be fun?" If the answer is yes then I'm happy. Way to much negativity in gaming today, doesn't need to be constantly searched for.

Top Bottom