• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Downgrade

SegaShack

Do people not understand programming and efficiency? Finalized game full of assets and objects = less available GPU less available RAM than an early demo. Why is “downgrade” the term as if it were running nicely and they purposefully made it worse?

Last edited:

nowhat

Do people not understand programming and efficiency? Finalized game full of assets and objects = less GPU less RAM than an early demo. Why is “downgrade” the term as if it were running nicely and they purposefully made it worse?
Yeah. But unless there are some major (like "I cannot believe we released that beta code"-major) changes to the final game, there's absolutely no fucking way the E3 reveal was running on a One X. Which is what was advertised. That is different from having downgraded assets.

Usually (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs) controversies like these have related to the PC version - where there (theoretically) isn't an upper bound for graphics. But this was supposedly on a fixed hardware target. Which it obviously never ran on.

Last edited:

Phobia

The demo was not even the final version of the game. It was an old build that people were playing months ago during the closed alpha.

SegaShack

Yeah. But unless there are some major (like "I cannot believe we released that beta code"-major) changes to the final game, there's absolutely no fucking way the E3 reveal was running on a One X. Which is what was advertised. That is different from having downgraded assets.

Usually (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs) controversies like these have related to the PC version - where there (theoretically) isn't an upper bound for graphics. But this was supposedly on a fixed hardware target. Which it obviously never ran on.
This could be the case or it couldve been a really well designed tech demo. Not saying that I agree with the practice or care about this game but “downgrade” is the wrong term. Bullshot is what people should be saying.

nowhat

The demo was not even the final version of the game. It was an old build that people were playing months ago during the closed alpha.
...and you think the final game will be up to E3 reveal standards? A game that is releasing in... a little over a week from now?

I find your optimism refreshing. Also, young padawan, disappointed shall you be.

LMJ

The beginning of the reveal demo when it cuts to black has two messages

Bottom righthand corner reads
pre Alpha 4k footage

middle reads and I quote
"everything you are about to see was captured in game and running in real time"

Considering not even the beefiest P.Cs can pull off what the reveal showed, let alone the X, I think it's fairly easy to say downgrade in this case

Phobia

Nah I won't be disappointed because I don't care about graphics or downgrades. I am about game play and content. If it's good, which from the 20 hours I played across both weekends it is, I'm happy.

Lancelot

Its Dark Souls 2 level downgrade

Dark Souls 2 was laughtable too, I wish one day they remaster it with the updated engine, it’s a good game.

I don’t understand people defending this kind of practice. Cases like DS2, ACM and now Anthem are unforgivable. A complete disrespect.

Last edited:
Do people not understand programming and efficiency? Finalized game full of assets and objects = less available GPU less available RAM than an early demo. Why is “downgrade” the term as if it were running nicely and they purposefully made it worse?
Fearmongering. Trump's America, y'all

Lancelot

Now explain why most of top tier AAA ends looking better than the E3 reveal. Anthem’s changes are too severe to be considered acceptable.

Last edited:

Ramzy

It's not the consumer's problem to understand that.

The choice of words at the beginning of the video sets our expectations.

They didn't word the intro of the video in such a way that it could be interpreted differently, nor was it intentionally vague.

It says:

"Everything you are about to see was captured in-game running in real-time".

Let's break it down:

1. "Everything you are about to see"
Inferring everything visible in the forthcoming demo.

2. "Was captured in-game"
Inferring that the footage is not pre-rendered.

3. "Running in real time"
Inferring that they didn't use any special techniques to render frames in-engine then speed them up in post processing to maintain a solid frame rate.

It's not unreasonable for a normal consumer to read that and assume that the game is meant to look like what was showcased in the demo. Unfortunately everyone isn't as smart and handsome as you.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Holy crap the comparison in those videos is jarring. My guess is the vast majority of their core gaming base was made up of people who preordered. And those people who preordered were going to play this type of game regardless.

I haven't preordered a FPS game of any type in probably 5 years for so many redundant reasons, this is just disheartening

Nydus

Hmm. The footage in the city is clearly better in the trailer. In the outdoors it just seems that there is a lot more fog. Other then that it doesn't look much worse to me.

Phobia

Absolutely zero reason to bring stupid ass politics into a discussion about video games. Keep that shit out of here.

Whitecrow

Banned
Nah I won't be disappointed because I don't care about graphics or downgrades. I am about game play and content. If it's good, which from the 20 hours I played across both weekends it is, I'm happy.
How you dare to not be affected by downgrades and care about gameplay?????
Blasphemy

Sygma

Didn't try the Anthem demo, but how is the downgrade compared to UBI's famous Watchdogs BS?

well everything got toned way down, the biggest one being the sense of scale. it just feels like you're in a country side forest with some cool shit to see here and there versus the stuff of the original reveal

However, the special effects are above everything else in any game, I'll give them that

Makariel

Fearmongering. Trump's America, y'all
LOL what? Was Trump president when the exact same debate happened with dark souls 2 or watch dogs? So in that case you'd have to write:

tumblr_noewkzBmkD1stmw4ro1_500.jpg

Jeez, keep stupid partisan politics in the politics threads...

nowhat

Jeez, keep stupid partisan politics in the politics threads...
I'm so in agreement of keeping politics in the politics section. As a matter of fact - I think many threads regarding $WHATEVER_PEOPLE_ARE_GETTING_UPSET_ABOUT, usually per-emptively, should be there too.

But did you just make that image up or did it exist? Because if it did, oh my $DEITY.

angelic

Banned
That's why it is a target. You aim for it. Sometimes you miss. Sometimes by a lot. :)

Yes but the key is it's never advertised as a target. It's specifically stated as "taken from the game while running".

I honestly don't care if it seems petty, I love laughing at dowgrades, I drink it all in, because it serves them right. While we all joke, and some of us defend, these idiots are actually making money from false promises, faked footage, bullshit builds on 5 grand computers being passed off as ps4/xbox...and even a current 5 grand computer can't make Anthem look like the target demo. But EA made share money off the back of it, off the back of their "successful" E3, bonuses will be paid out to SJW Bioware management and EA execs....ALL based on a completely bullshit trailer than any decent game fan can tell is not going to be remotely real.

That's why I laugh hearily when they're exposed. It's fully deserved and I love it.

Ballthyrm

False Advertising is the whole purpose of Advertising, the goal is to sell you on it.

Perfume doesn't attract supermodels around you.
Drinking alcohol doesn't make you have a fulfilling social life.
A car doesn't make you travel all around the world in exotic places.

If you look at an AD you are being lied to, it's quite simple really.

Dontero

Banned
False Advertising is the whole purpose of Advertising, the goal is to sell you on it.

Perfume doesn't attract supermodels around you.
Drinking alcohol doesn't make you have a fulfilling social life.
A car doesn't make you travel all around the world in exotic places.

If you look at an AD you are being lied to, it's quite simple really.

But you are not talking here about someone opinions of products but lies and deceit.
It is pretty clear that video show that what they have shown graphically has nothing to do with released game.

Honestly i doubt it was even gameplay of some high end pc with assets that didn't get into game.
Especially going by the character movements in trailer it was most definitely CGI co-splayed as gameplay

Makariel

I'm so in agreement of keeping politics in the politics section. As a matter of fact - I think many threads regarding $WHATEVER_PEOPLE_ARE_GETTING_UPSET_ABOUT, usually per-emptively, should be there too.

But did you just make that image up or did it exist? Because if it did, oh my $DEITY.
There is a mod for the original dark souls on PC that replaces the "YOU DIED" with "THANKS OBAMA", after a while it allowed custom dead screens, you could also have e.g. "REKT", "YOU'RE FIRED" or "REEEEE".

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Gosh, another downgrade situation. For whatever reason, this stuff never bugs me at all. Am I the only one? I find it fascinating - a window into development. Outside of something like Aliens from Gearbox, I don't believe any developer is out to deceive anybody (and even then, I don't think those doing the actual work on Aliens wanted to let people down). I get why people would be disappointed, of course, don't get me wrong but it somehow doesn't bug me any longer. The Spider-Man puddle thing was especially insane - it felt like people were descending into madness.

I dunno, I think it's been a thing since the PS2 era for sure where people see trailers for games and react like "the game won't look like that".
Feels like back then I saw a lot of people annoyed that the trailers would contain like loads of cutscenes that look great but no gameplay footage that everyone knows will look worse.

This is almost like the next iteration of that. Publisher presents amazing looking "in-game footage" and then, as time goes on, the actual footage gets less impressive.

With Spider-Man it's a bit daft because I think most people are looking at a Spider-Man single player experience before they are worried about graphics.

For titles like Anthem though, entering into an already kind of crowded field and coming from EA/Bioware who have stung customers with their products before there's a problem.

It does seem like bad form for them to present an amazing looking game and then open it up to pre-orders and then kind of downgrade the quality of the graphics at a later date.

I'm not on the "WE WERE LIED TO" bandwagon but I also think it's bad form for a developer to open a game up for pre-orders showing one thing and then, come release day, delivering something different.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dunno, I think it's been a thing since the PS2 era for sure where people see trailers for games and react like "the game won't look like that".
Feels like back then I saw a lot of people annoyed that the trailers would contain like loads of cutscenes that look great but no gameplay footage that everyone knows will look worse.
Funny you mention the PS2 era. I remember people thinking those reveal demos were all faked but, in reality, they were actually entirely real-time. Running at 60fps using field rendering even and were surpassed by retail software. I think it was the fact that they were mostly shared through super low quality video that maybe helped cover-up the flaws?

Nothing will top the PS3 reveal, though. Good lord. The king of faked trailers.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yes but the key is it's never advertised as a target. It's specifically stated as "taken from the game while running".

I honestly don't care if it seems petty, I love laughing at dowgrades, I drink it all in, because it serves them right. While we all joke, and some of us defend, these idiots are actually making money from false promises, faked footage, bullshit builds on 5 grand computers being passed off as ps4/xbox...and even a current 5 grand computer can't make Anthem look like the target demo. But EA made share money off the back of it, off the back of their "successful" E3, bonuses will be paid out to SJW Bioware management and EA execs....ALL based on a completely bullshit trailer than any decent game fan can tell is not going to be remotely real.

That's why I laugh hearily when they're exposed. It's fully deserved and I love it.

Sounds like the only victims in your scenario are people who speculate on the stock market. I don't have a problem with that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Killzone 2 will forever be the king of bullshit. Good god that reveal trailer was something else.
Yeah and it's a good example of publishers screwing over developers since GG had nothing to do with that teaser being shown!

nowhat

There is a mod for the original dark souls on PC that replaces the "YOU DIED" with "THANKS OBAMA", after a while it allowed custom dead screens, you could also have e.g. "REKT", "YOU'RE FIRED" or "REEEEE".
That's... quite ingenious really. I approve.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yup. Well, and us for receiving generic bog standard boring safe investor friendly games.

That isn't how I'd describe Anthem, although it might be more accurate for other EA properties. It isn't a sequel. It isn't from a developer with a track record in that particular genre. It isn't in a genre that is showing increased demand.

If anything I'd say Anthem is/was a pretty big risk.

With respect to EA's effect on Bioware itself, almost everybody who made Bioware what it was has departed since the acquisition.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
That isn't how I'd describe Anthem, although it might be more accurate for other EA properties. It isn't a sequel. It isn't from a developer with a track record in that particular genre. It isn't in a genre that is showing increased demand.

If anything I'd say Anthem is/was a pretty big risk.

With respect to EA's effect on Bioware itself, almost everybody who made Bioware what it was has departed since the acquisition.

I'll have to disagree, I think Anthem is only risky in how boring it is. Its not a sequel sure but it's the most generic AAA game of the year. I think it flops.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'll have to disagree, I think Anthem is only risky in how boring it is. Its not a sequel sure but it's the most generic AAA game of the year. I think it flops.

You're saying that after the fact. We're talking about when they decided to make it and made the announcement.

On top of that there are plenty of people who will disagree with you. If you think Anthem is generic and boring you haven't played Division 2.

You need to ease back on the hate, it is clouding your vision.

Last edited:
Why exactly?

I would be totally fine with it if they hadn't said that it was running in-game and in real-time. That's my biggest beef, really. People say that things change, issues arise, etc., and that it was unreasonable to expect that fidelity of visuals considering modern hardware (which I disagree with, but whatever), but they (Bioware/EA) set the expectation this time, not me. If they'd said 'not representative' or just let us assume it was CGI, then fine. Also, they're an experienced developer, they should know what they can and cannot achieve graphically.

But let's be real here - we all have different priorities. Comparing this to something different, like say a rental property that you're going to vacation at being a completely different color than was shown in the brochures and having a leaky roof might not bother some people, but it would surely piss off others.

Starhowl

I didn't believe in the game right from the start, so it really doesn't matter. Switched over to books for experiencing a story.. Read at least 11 books with 600 pages each and started playing text adventures on C64 instead. At some point they will start to care again at which the stuff isn't even worth a dollar anymore.. ;)

LSWilson

SO what ,its nothing new,that always happened,seriously I don't see any issue with this,the game was made to run good on all platforms.and consoles aren't high end and they will never be,complaining about this doesn't solve anything,like I said this happened every time when promoting multiplatform games,if by now you didn't learn the lesson that means you're really naive.

except for the fact it runs like shit....

Words are violence, get with the times, it's the current year.
Haha never been jumped on for bringing “partisan political conversation” into a thread, but yep I guess that’s 2019 for ya

But to stay on subject since people are touchy, complaining about downgrades pretty much shows how many people don’t know how tf game development works. And even if you do have any sort of understanding, there’s no possible way to presume to know how they structured their initial showing of the game unless you have some sort of inside source, which nobody here has. Downgrade freakouts are pretty annoying imo.

Haha never been jumped on for bringing “partisan political conversation” into a thread, but yep I guess that’s 2019 for ya

But to stay on subject since people are touchy, complaining about downgrades pretty much shows how many people don’t know how tf game development works. And even if you do have any sort of understanding, there’s no possible way to presume to know how they structured their initial showing of the game unless you have some sort of inside source, which nobody here has. Downgrade freakouts are pretty annoying imo.

This is silly. As an average, everyday consumer, I could care less what it takes to make a game. Likewise, I don't care how hard it was to build my house or how much effort was sunk into the R&D of my car. They're producing a product, just like so many other industries, and if the product doesn't match with my expectations, as the consumer, or win me over in some other way, then they don't get my money. That's the extent of my relationship with these companies.

Top Bottom