• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype train is permanently decommissioned

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is very subjective opinion but I just vastly prefer how Japanese devs make games compare to western devs and to me thats big part of why I'm much more happy with my games compare to others who thinks they think "hype is dead".

If I only played western games maybe I would feel same way as them.

KiteGr

I never preorder, even if the game is made by a collaboration of Nintendo, Larian, From software, Vanilaware and Falcom soft.
I also almost never buy full price.

Oh don't worry, western Europe, in particular the UK and France, are fucked too, like the Fable reboot for example.

I was never talking about just NA, only Eastern Europe and Japan are still producing games worth a darn, the western world has suffered bad brain rot and don't kid yourselves that the source isn't the obsession with diversity, equity and inclusion.

They're loud and clear with the agenda, if you think it's just a "boogeyman", you're asleep.
People from all countries, including the oh so holy Eastern Europe and Japan, have all been making mediocre and shitty video games since the concept of video games has existed. On average there are probably more shitty video games in existence than there are 10/10 ones.

I don't care about agendas. I don't care about woke vs nonwoke. When people get more perspective in life you'll quickly realize that these are petty online battles that mean very little in the big picture. All I care about is if a product is good or bad. Going from that, you're not going to convince me that a crappy Japanese game from the 90s or a crappy Eastern European game from the 00s was crappy because of a 2020s way of thinking. That's why this is a boogeyman.

Same reason why when devs from your favorite regions suddenly produce a shitty video game today, you can't suddenly move goalposts around to fit your own narrative as to why. That's why this is a boogeyman.

Shitty games will just be shitty games, doesn't matter the intent, agenda, race, or color of people working on it.

Danjin44

People from all countries, including the oh so holy Eastern Europe and Japan, have all been making mediocre and shitty video games since the concept of video games has existed. On average there are probably more shitty video games in existence than there are 10/10 ones.

I don't care about agendas. I don't care about woke vs nonwoke. When people get more perspective in life you'll quickly realize that these are petty online battles that mean very little in the big picture. All I care about is if a product is good or bad. Going from that, you're not going to convince me that a crappy Japanese game from the 90s or a crappy Eastern European game from the 00s was crappy because of a 2020s way of thinking. That's why this is a boogeyman.

Same reason why when devs from your favorite regions suddenly produce a shitty video game today, you can't suddenly move goalposts around to fit your own narrative as to why. That's why this is a boogeyman.

Shitty games will just be shitty games, doesn't matter the intent, agenda, race, or color of people working on it.
I can agree with that, as much as I love Japanese games, they also make bad games just like any developers in the world. But also there is big difference between how Japanese devs approach designing their games and characters compare to wester devs, I'm not gonna say which one is "objective" is better, it mostly matter of taste but for me I just MUCH bigger fan of how Japanese devs make video games.

Last edited:

I_D

The one picture that I left remaining in the quote is a real picture.

You mistook it for a videogame screenshot. I hope you can see the irony in that considering the point you were attempting to make.

Woah... After checking that link... What the fuck?
Dude, you just blew my fucking mind.

You're telling me this is an actual picture of the actual real-life world?
realtriwy.jpg

I'm both impressed, and disgusted. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I take it all back. Racing games look fucking excellent.

I can agree with that, as much as I love Japanese games, they also make bad games just like any developers in the world. But also there is big difference between how Japanese devs approach designing their games and characters compare to wester devs, I'm not gonna say which one is "objective" is better, it mostly matter of taste but for me I just MUCH bigger fan of how Japanese devs make video games.
But again, that has nothing to do with agendas. What you're talking about is a difference in gameplay philosophy.

For example: Platformers between western and eastern devs couldn't be any more different in the 90s. Prince of Persia(2D), Flashback, Tomb Raider, etc. vs Mario, Super Metroid, Sonic, etc.? Both sides were about timed jumps with a moderate amount of precision, but the western devs decided to slow the movement down and make it more deliberate to feel even more precise. If you asked someone back then who only played Japanese platformers how they felt about the western ones, they would call them slow and bad. All of us here know that this isn't the case. They had their own level of challenge and were simply different and meant for a different audience.

Shitty games are increasing in number because of woke, because they hire people that don't have the talent, if anything they hold the medium in contempt and purposely muck things up out of spite, why is the Fable protag so damn ugly? Because it's an intentional middle finger to gamers.

Danjin44

But again, that has nothing to do with agendas. What you're talking about is a difference in gameplay philosophy.
Yeah, "agenda" or whats woke and whats not has nothing to do with any it. The reason I like Japanese games is much more do with philosophy behind how design their games.

To me what I consider woke when western gaming journalist telling Japanese devs they should appeal to western politic issues......why?

why is the Fable protag so damn ugly? Because it's an intentional middle finger to gamers.
If western devs want to make ugly character designs then that their fucking choice, I take more issue with them criticizing Japanese devs for making sexy design.....freedom works both ways.

Last edited:
Shitty games are increasing in number because of woke, because they hire people that don't have the talent, if anything they hold the medium in contempt and purposely muck things up out of spite, why is the Fable protag so damn ugly? Because it's an intentional middle finger to gamers.
Lol what the hell do you mean, increasing? It's always been a big number. Were you not around for the mountains of shitty games during the NES and SNES days? The label LJN should speak for itself. How about the endless shovelware amongst the PS2 and Wii? Remember the time when Japan struggled during an entire generation and their output was terrible(PS3/360 gen) and they even thought it was a good idea to copy western games during that time only to make worse versions? Like what are we even talking about here? For every good part of a generation there's been a ton of shit that we've collectively brushed under the rug.

From comic nerds, to movie watchers, to book readers, why do gamers always have the worst memory out of them all?

Edit: Also, my issue with people criticizing ugly characters comes back to my point from an earlier thread:

The ongoing question stands then: Are devs allowed to create average-looking or ugly protagonists?

What was the point of all of those PS4 tech demos showing off how hard it is to pull off old, average, and/or ugly if gamers just complain that they only want smooth skin models on screen?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Forza has been the final nail in the coffin.

From this point forward, I just don't see me getting excited about game releases anymore. Every AAA developer is full of shit. Graphical downgrades, dishonest information, predatory mechanics, blah blah fucking blah, and every release is a shit show. I'm over it.

When your game goes on sale for a third of what you sold it for, and everything is patched up to the point where it actually resembles what was promised, I'll buy.

Short of that, get bent. AAA gaming is a lost cause. Fucking burn it.
Hear hear. Gaming's dead in my opinion. If there's anything worth looking forward to, I'm now permanently in passive engagement mode where I won't be buying anything day one anymore. Glad my daughter is about to be born any day now and I'll be busy taking care of her and enjoying raising her. Couldn't have come at a better time.

Top Bottom