• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype train is permanently decommissioned

Catphish

Forza has been the final nail in the coffin.

From this point forward, I just don't see me getting excited about game releases anymore. Every AAA developer is full of shit. Graphical downgrades, dishonest information, predatory mechanics, blah blah fucking blah, and every release is a shit show. I'm over it.

When your game goes on sale for a third of what you sold it for, and everything is patched up to the point where it actually resembles what was promised, I'll buy.

Short of that, get bent. AAA gaming is a lost cause. Fucking burn it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
train punch GIF by RJFilmSchool

Every. Time.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
When I looked at this thread I was afraid that TGO TGO would not do hype trains anymore. Ouf. OP, RE 4 remake DLC Separate Ways is amazing. Play it and be hyped again!

Zuzu

Yep, it’s best not to get too hyped and keep a healthy dose of skepticism regarding extravagant claims made by developers or marketing PR.

Never trust “in-engine” trailers either or gameplay that’s not actually running on the hardware it’s meant to be coming out on (like PC hardware that approximates console hardware). I think that 2022 Forza trailer was said to be running on approximately “Xbox equivalent” PC hardware. Well, we can see how accurate that was…

Still though, Forza’s actual gameplay when racing is really good, but yeah it’s broken and deficient in a lot of other areas.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I went through this a long time ago. I purchased a japanese launch Dreamcast with Virtua Fighter 3tb, and it came with the Project Berkley CD(a Shenmue reveal).

Needless to say began a strong anticipation for the game. It went through some crazy hoops, and although great, it didn't live up to expectations. Not even close. Seems they are repeating it. But I don't fall for it anymore..

Forza has been the final nail in the coffin.

From this point forward, I just don't see me getting excited about game releases anymore. Every AAA developer is full of shit. Graphical downgrades, dishonest information, predatory mechanics, blah blah fucking blah, and every release is a shit show. I'm over it.

When your game goes on sale for a third of what you sold it for, and everything is patched up to the point where it actually resembles what was promised, I'll buy.

Short of that, get bent. AAA gaming is a lost cause. Fucking burn it.
B-but...Alan Wake 2 a-a-and FF7 Rebirth....Oh who am I kidding, Square will probably fuck that one up too on the pc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This is year so many good fucking games came out and you guys crying over very few?

Also there is more to gaming than AAA, try out AA games like Armored Core VI and others…..stop obsessing over fucking graphics, you would be much happier.
Yeah I don't get it. This is a good year overall for gaming. Like not a lot interests me but looking at all the games that have released this year there is a lot of great games out there.

And the year isn't over yet.

Most of the games I found more exciting to play is 3rd Party games and indie devs.

dotnotbot

I never got the hype train thing. Just wait until the release, then wait until the dust settles and read honest opinions. Buy it later at a discount with patches and fixes. You've got literally millions of other games to play in the meantime instead of playing unfinished games day 1.

Last edited:
honestly most of the fun gamesI highly this year all came from 3rd party games.
You could probably say that any year, but my point was more about the polish of the releases. Spider-man and Mario Wonder will have all kinds of polish, more than something like forza or jedi survivor

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I never got the hype train thing. Just wait until the release, then wait until the dust settles and read honest opinions. Buy a game later at a discount with patches and fixes. You've got literally millions of other games to play in the meantime instead of playing unfinished games day 1.
Hype train used to mean something until people started waking up to fake CG trailers that did nothing to tell you about the game and how it will play. Class act of promises and bullshit from a lot of AAA studios. Which leads to broken promises and just leaves you with bullshit.

Fbh

bJmFmid.jpg

This year in particular, we had an extremely large number of good games.

Yup, this year has been great.

I understand individual cases being disappointing. For example I was looking forward to Jedi survivor but decided to wait because of the technical issues.
But honestly if after this year people are still saying modern gaming sucks maybe gaming just isn't for them anymore.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You could probably say that any year, but my point was more about the polish of the releases. Spider-man and Mario Wonder will have all kinds of polish, more than something like forza or jedi survivor
Yeah, but this year especially was really good year for 3rd party games.

Reactions: Isa

Crayon

Try being more selective about what publishers and studios you trust. I was "hope" about starfield, sure. But when it started getting closer, I didn't get all hyped up because I don't put a ton of faith in beth to make a great game. They can do it, but sometimes they can't.

I knew I could put faith in armored core and zelda. Hyped right up till the day of release for two games a year is fine. That left SF6 and Hogwarts to be surprise hits. Getting all hyped up for stuff with patchy histories like assasin's creed or halo is a rookie move.

Top Bottom