• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype train is permanently decommissioned

GHG

Come on G, you know Im not that extreme :messenger_savoring:

It's the writing, humor, and design Im dicey on now that the old guard is long gone.

That's exactly why I think they will go that route though. I'm not sure they even have the capacity to come up with something worthy of continuing the legacy of the series from a SP perspective. That combined with the fact that it's the multiplayer that has been the primary area of success for them in recent years, I struggle to not see the writing on the wall.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Whats the deal with Forza

I thought it "destroys" GT7
Understand Captain America GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Love that Forza of all things was the nail in the coffin apparently.

The car goes round in circles fast! Just play the last one. Or Gran Turismo.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That's exactly why I think they will go that route though. I'm not sure they even have the capacity to come up with something worthy of continuing the legacy of the series from a SP perspective. That combined with the fact that it's the multiplayer that has been the primary area of success for them in recent years, I struggle to not see the writing on the wall.

It's Logical Mondays with your host, GHG.

Now Im sad.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Forza has been the final nail in the coffin.

From this point forward, I just don't see me getting excited about game releases anymore. Every AAA developer is full of shit. Graphical downgrades, dishonest information, predatory mechanics, blah blah fucking blah, and every release is a shit show. I'm over it.

When your game goes on sale for a third of what you sold it for, and everything is patched up to the point where it actually resembles what was promised, I'll buy.

Short of that, get bent. AAA gaming is a lost cause. Fucking burn it.
OP. It just means you've been putting your faith in the wrong games and studios.

Games like RDR 2, God of War, God of War Ragnarok, TLOU 2, Hogwart's Legacy, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart were all fantastic on day one. I've already pre-ordered Spider-Man 2 which I'll be playing on launch day, because I trust PlayStation Studios and Insomniac to deliver a high-quality and polished product.

Unbiased previews (hard to find, I know) can also help. For example, all reviewers have confirmed that they didn't encounter any bugs or glitches in Spider-Man 2 in their 2-hour of hands-on gameplay. If you trust a reviewer, and they confirm this stuff, you can still buy into that product and get hyped.

Life is too short to not enjoy the things you like and to not get hyped for your hobby.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly, Starfield has been the only major disappointment for me so far this year. Even FF16 which I ended up disliking lived up to the hype for the first 20 hours or so before becoming a snoozefest with some incredible setpieces thrown in every 10 hours.

RE4, Zelda, Star Wars have all lived up to the hype. Forza's downgrade and PC issues aside seems to be a very good game with some stunning visuals despite the downgrade.

I mostly stick to Japanese games these days because they tend to have better QA, gameplay and less woke shit. Western AAA is dead to me mostly. Look at Capcom or Lies of P for example. And Nintendo of course.

Last edited:

acm2000

why get on the hype train in the first place? ignore the hype and play games you like the look of fresh and free from bullshit, i loved Starfield and now im playing Phantom Liberty without evening knowing what review scores it even got.

from tomorrow i will be jumping between forza and phantom liberty thanks to quick resume and hopefully getting it finished in time for alan wake 2.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Spider-man 2 releases in 10 days OP. Chill.

Animated GIF

No reason for the hype train for this one for me personally. We all know what we're getting. Another Ubi influenced, checkbox, cinematic open worlder with insane production values and probably a lot of forced diversity and socio political bullshit shoehorned in to keep the blue hairs and kids collecting their disability checks at bay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No reason for the hype train for this one for me personally. We all know what we're getting. Another Ubi influenced, checkbox, cinematic open worlder with insane production values and probably a lot of forced diversity and socio political bullshit shoehorned in to keep the blue hairs and kids collecting their disability checks at bay.
For me personally anything Marvel related is opposite of hype.....buying that game is asking for having bad time and at that point that my own fault rather gaming industry as whole.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Whats the deal with Forza

I thought it "destroys" GT7

but it doesn't destroy the narrative. Remember hype = fanboy thoughts x 100000 to the other team. It's like when the Switch 2 comes out every fanboy is going to be going " remember when Nintendo fans said it was going to be more powerful than a ps2!!??" ... when they are the ones who have mostly said that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not enough GaaS and live service games for you this year?
I'm mature enough to recognize quality in the SP space. I'll give Baldurs Gate 3 props, even though it's not my type of game. Everything else looks overhyped and overinflated, with very little long term impact. The marketing branch of this industry desperately wants 2023 to be..."OMG one fo the best years ever! Buy buy buy!"

cireza

Rejoice OP. Now that you have seen the light, you can finally discover the world of AA and indy games.

You will have no expectations. And the best, most pleasing surprises every once in a while.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm mature enough to recognize quality in the SP space. I'll give Baldurs Gate 3 props, even though it's not my type of game. Everything else looks overhyped and overinflated, with very little long term impact. The marketing branch of this industry desperately wants 2023 to be..."OMG one fo the best years ever! Buy buy buy!"
I dont know what exact that means? I playing games Armored Core VI and Resident Evil 4 Remake and enjoying crap out of them so to me the HYPE was definitely justified.

phant0m

Just dont buy microsoft games lol.

This year has been awesome gaming wise for me, one of the best in recent memory.

Same. I feel OP’s vibe but 2023 has been an absolute banger, especially compared to the perpetual disappointment land of 2021 and 2022.

PC ports are still a dumpster fire but as a whole the industry has DELIVERED this year.

Hogwarts? Banger
Metroid Prime Remaster? Banger
RE4R? Banger
Diablo IV? Great
Jedi Survivor? Great (PC is trash)
Remnant II? Banger
BG3? GOTG
Hi-Fi Rush? Surprise (literal) banger
FFXVI? Banger
SF6? Banger
TOTK? Banger
AC6? Great
Sons of the Forest? Banger
Octopath II? Great
Starfield? Great. Will bang when mods come out.
Phantom Liberty? Banger

and we ain’t done yet

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I dont know what exact that means? I playing games Armored Core VI and Resident Evil 4 Remake and enjoying crap out of them so to me the HYPE was definitely justified.
It's hard for me to put stock in any one gamers opinion about a certain game. I care about the key metrics. I don't think anything had any lasting effect on the industry. Great years influence the future of the industry. 2023 just had a lot of formulaic games that will largely be forgotten by 2024, IMO.

Danjin44

It's hard for me to put stock in any one gamers opinion about a certain game. I care about the key metrics. I don't think anything had any lasting effect on the industry. Great years influence the future of the industry. 2023 just had a lot of formulaic games that will largely be forgotten by 2024, IMO.
thats mostly true for you since you are much more into social gaming, Fortnite and all that type of stuff, I will never forget great experience like Armored Core VI same way I didn't forget games like Sekiro.

I will never forget great experiences.

LakeOf9

Yeah, this is dumb. Games like TOTK, RE4, and BG3 will not be forgotten for years, if ever.

There have been some amazing experiences this year.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
thats mostly true for you since you are much more into social gaming, Fortnite and all that type of stuff, I will never forget great experience like Armored Core VI same way I didn't forget games like Sekiro.

I will never forget great experiences.

We're judging the year using two vastly different rubrics. Both are valid. I'm glad you enjoyed 2023.

Phase

Yep, you've reached the "fed up" stage. Let it flow through you. You will now make more intelligent purchasing decisions and will thank yourself for it.

Top Bottom