• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype train is permanently decommissioned

Skifi28

This is sort of your fault to begin with. Don't get hyped, wait for the actual product to come out and then decide for yourself if it's good enough to play day one, or at all.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is sort of your fault to begin with. Don't get hyped, wait for the actual product to come out and then decide for yourself if it's good enough to play day one, or at all.
There is nothing wrong for being hype, sure there is chance getting disappointed but it’s not end of the world.

it’s like someone says you shouldn’t go outside because you might die from car crash, sure they might be chance that can happen that doesn’t you should never go outside.

Besides if you played games long enough, you know what enjoy so chances you get disappointed becomes less.

Senua

Well yes but he knows that now, that's kinda the thread. AAA is often very disappointing indeed OP

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Getting hype and pre-ordering game made no sense in the first place, glad you are back to normal.

Is there anything sadder than paying $70 to be a marketing drone for a billion dollar company? If it is a great game, it will remind a great a month or a year after release.

Skifi28

There is nothing wrong for being hype, sure there is chance getting disappointed but it’s not end of the world.

it’s like someone says you shouldn’t go outside because you might die from car crash, sure they might be chance that can happen that doesn’t you should never go outside.
Pretty bad analogy. There is no merit in pre-deciding if something will be good or not, there is no way to know, just wait. More so for those that pre-order and spend loads of money they could have saved if they just waited.

Besides if you played games long enough, you know what enjoy so chances you get disappointed becomes less.
That's not the issue here though. You can't possibly know if they game will release unfinished with game breaking bugs and terrible performance, even if you liked the fake gameplay shown a year earlier. I've been playing Forza since the first game so I clearly like the series, but I waited for impressions first and saved my money for now.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In Danjin's defense if you've played games long enough you'll know if a game is garbage right away when you see pure gameplay instead of what they are trying to sell you on. Don't even need to play it. You just know trash when you see it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The hype train ain't going nowhere as long as these guys are still around:

2560px-Fromsoftware_logo.svg.png

Capcom_logo.png

+ Nintendo and Monolith

Danjin44

That's not the issue here though. You can't possibly know if they game will release unfinished with game breaking bugs and terrible performance, even if you liked the fake gameplay shown a year earlier. I've been playing Forza since the first game so I clearly like the series, but I waited for impressions first and saved my money for now.
We are living in age of interned, if there is problem with game most of the time we know long before the reviews.

I know I keep bring this up is reason why I wouldn't buy Armored Core VI day one or upcoming game Unicorn Overlord day one? I will gladly buy those games full price day one because I trust the developers deliver and so far they haven’t disappoint me.

Honestly speaking most issue people have 80% time is related to online focus games.….thankfully I avoid those games like plague.

Reactions: Isa

Nydius

I stepped off the Hype Train station platform after the Watch_Dogs nonsense.

I have games I know I want to play because I know what they are -- I don't get "hyped" over them. I knew exactly what TOTK and Starfield were going to be and wanted to play both. I know exactly what Spider-Man 2 and Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora are going to be, and want to play them. But I'm not sitting here counting down days for each release, nor am I going out of my way to get them right away.

I don't get hyped for much of any big-ticket media anymore. Not TV, not movies, not games. If something piques my interest, I'll watch it, cautiously optimistic like.

Raonak

Banned
That's why I mostly play sony exclusives. Some of the few games that I know will come out and be exactly the kinda game for me. Plus they rarely have bugs these days.

Danjin44

That's why I mostly play sony exclusives. Some of the few games that I know will come out and be exactly the kinda game for me. Plus they rarely have bugs these days.
This gen I’m not biggest fan of their exclusive, in fact this gen I mostly enjoyed 3rd party games over Sony exclusives.

I'm pretty over it as well, let's not beat around the bush as to why there's so many technical issues with games today, it's because they don't hire based on talent anymore, they hire based on skin color, gender and sexuality.

The "diversity, equity and inclusion" era is a disaster for the tech world.

In addition to less talent with things like coding, there's elss talent in games today in general, so everything just feels like blah mush, not as edgy or exciting as it used to be, devs are more worried about avoiding angering the outrage mob than making a cool game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm pretty over it as well, let's not beat around the bush as to why there's so many technical issues with games today, it's because they don't hire based on talent anymore, they hire based on skin color, gender and sexuality.
Look at the fucking images of these studios, they're all white men or women, more often than not with a bend towards the former. It isn't because of that, not to mention this assumption always seems to paint the images that talent is exclusive to white guys.

The real reason is because the gaming industry is a fucking trainwreck internally, you get paid pennies to code extremely demanding and difficult projects & 99% of the time it's commision work where you'll be thrown out of the building in 3 years. Meanwhile tech jobs like Apple, Google, and MS offer a far more long lasting career and you're able to work at your own pace more easily. One guy i heard of who was working at Intel talked about how lax the conditions were over there, meanwhile all you hear internally from gaming studios are sexual harassment, crunch and layoffs.

I mean shit, most the people here have tech jobs. Why aren't more people here working in gaming despite being major turbonerds about the subject...?

Last edited:

Nydius

This as well. 2023 has been one of the biggest redemption years for AAA in quite some time, getting bangers from every company. Xbox is just behind and backward as usual
Keep that same asinine energy when Starfield is nominated for GOTY and Spider-Man ain't.

Look at the fucking images of these studios, they're all white men or women, more often than not with a bend towards the former. It isn't because of that, not to mention this assumption always seems to paint the images that talent is exclusive to white guys.

The real reason is because the gaming industry is a fucking trainwreck internally, you get paid pennies to code extremely demanding and difficult projects & 99% of the time it's commision work where you'll be thrown out of the building in 3 years. Meanwhile tech jobs like Apple, Google, and MS offer a far more long lasting career and you're able to work at your own pace more easily. One guy i heard of who was working at Intel talked about how lax the conditions were over there, meanwhile all you hear internally from gaming studios are sexual harassment, crunch and layoffs.

I mean shit, most the people here have tech jobs. Why aren't more people here working in gaming despite being major turbonerds about the subject...?
That's a factor, but why did things used to be so much better and as soon as the push for more "diversity" in gaming, things get worse?

The main factor is that the game development world is a hostile environment to those who are actually passionate about games, it's not where the culture's at, it's not what the agenda is, it's not what's important to many in the upper management, what's important is spreading The Message and ensuring that video games are a cultural victory for the left wing, the idea of this being something people do for fun is now a very distant second.

They don't sit down and say "let's make the best possible game we can!" anymore, they sit down and the first thing they say is "how can we use this game to push the agenda?"

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They don't sit down and say "let's make the best possible game we can!" anymore, they sit down and the first thing they say is "how can we use this game to push the agenda?"
but there have been plenty of bad/middling games released in the past 10 years that have not had this "political agenda"
Fallout 76, Anthem, RedFall, Halo Infinite, just now with Forza Motorsport, Gollum, Diablo 4, Days Gone, Starfield, list goes on. Cyberpunk is now one of the most critically acclaimed, beloved games of the 2020s and when it released it was a complete and utter shitshow. No "woke" in sight.

It isn't that. & more often than not, these games are/were bad because they're poorly coded, greedy, soulless and/or have had terrible management in development leading to a lack of content at launch and tons of bugs. Which comes from having people working on the game who consistently rotate from studio to studio because no gaming company actually wants to hire anyone. Just commision and get work from other studios. I'm convinced if it weren't for all this backup work it'd all be a bunch of investors, higherups and the CEO.

Not to mention that if these woke games like Saints Row were pushing a "political agenda" they're doing a fucking terrible job at them. The most you hear from them are Gen Z looking kids with colorful hair talking about wage labor. Maybe one person who's part of the LGBT. That's not very "woke." The Left has far more extreme and radical viewpoints than just "gay people are people", "you should be able to dye your hair" and "Student loans are too costly" Doesn't even tie into the plot either.

Last edited:
but there have been plenty of bad/middling games released in the past 10 years that have not had this "political agenda"
Fallout 76, Anthem, RedFall, Halo Infinite, just now with Forza Motorsport, Gollum, Diablo 4, Days Gone, Starfield, list goes on. Cyberpunk is now one of the most critically acclaimed, beloved games of the 2020s and when it released it was a complete and utter shitshow. No "woke" in sight.

It isn't that. & more often than not, these games are/were bad because they're poorly coded, greedy, soulless and/or have had terrible management in development leading to a lack of content at launch and tons of bugs. Which comes from having people working on the game who consistently rotate from studio to studio because no gaming company actually wants to hire anyone. Just commision and get work from other studios. I'm convinced if it weren't for all this backup work it'd all be a bunch of investors, higherups and the CEO.

Not to mention that if these woke games like Saints Row were pushing a "political agenda" they're doing a fucking terrible job at them. The most you hear from them are Gen Z looking kids with colorful hair talking about wage labor. Maybe one person who's part of the LGBT. That's not very "woke." The Left has far more extreme and radical viewpoints than just "gay people are people", "you should be able to dye your hair" and "Student loans are too costly" Doesn't even tie into the plot either.
Some of those games you mention are Woke, you really think Anthem and RedFall aren't Woke? lmao.

It can be as subtle as a game just having ugly characters, as they all do now, like Spider-Man 2, it doesn't always have to be a blatant message, but it's the same thing of things being blander, uglier and more boring, no sex, no edge, nothing to potentially ruffle the tail feathers of the woke mob.

Political correctness is the death of creativity, there's just a way more fun and exciting vibe to games when they didn't have to walk on eggshells and worry about "offending" so much, hell games used to take great glee in being as un-PC as they could, like the best days of GTA.

I take one look at this and check out, their stupid, goofy power rangers outfits, their stupid looking hair, it's bland, it's boring.
maxresdefault.jpg

THIS on the other hand is a lot more interesting, these aren't my favorite games or anything, in fact I pick these examples as pretty average games for the time, but you take one look at them and it's instantly a lot more fun, more interesting, when average games had a lot more life to them, you know things have gone wrong.

Why can't the guys be buff? Why can't the women be sexy?

Unrealchampionshipcover.jpg
ut2-1676664436865.jpg

Oh look, another cynical GAF member who has lost their passion/joy for gaming and complains about it in what happens to be a banner year for the industry, how quaint!

Last edited:

I_D

I've never understood why people ever get excited about racing games' graphics, to be honest. To me, they all look the same: Quite nice cars, and then absolute-dogshit everything-else.

Here are some pictures I just grabbed from the current racing-graphics face-off thread. I found the best screenshots I could find, in about a 3-minute search. All I did was remove the cars from the images; and not even all of them.
(Mind you, I find these shots to look absolutely awful, but others seem to be fawning over them, so to each their own.)

But, seriously, though... Somebody please explain how these games look good?
109der.png

2indzf.png

3zwccy.png

I just don't understand why anybody would ever be hyped about these sorts of games, in terms of being graphical powerhouses.
Basically any other genre would be a better option.

GHG

But, seriously, though... Somebody please explain how these games look good?

2indzf.png

I just don't understand why anybody would ever be hyped about these sorts of games, in terms of being graphical powerhouses.
Basically any other genre would be a better option.

This is too funny. The irony.

Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Forza has been the final nail in the coffin.

From this point forward, I just don't see me getting excited about game releases anymore. Every AAA developer is full of shit. Graphical downgrades, dishonest information, predatory mechanics, blah blah fucking blah, and every release is a shit show. I'm over it.

When your game goes on sale for a third of what you sold it for, and everything is patched up to the point where it actually resembles what was promised, I'll buy.

Short of that, get bent. AAA gaming is a lost cause. Fucking burn it.
You will enjoy gaming so much more now.

I've said it before but seriously, letting hype get the best of you is an absolute mind killer. I honestly think the best thing you can do as a gamer is to be aware of what's releasing but don't seek stuff out when it comes to trailers, etc. It honestly feels like you're never waiting cause there's already so many games to play and then when a banger does release, it's kind of a surprise and you can just go into with minimal expectations and enjoy the hell out of yourself if it really engages you. I've been doing that for a a decade+ now and I am rarely bored when it comes to gaming, it's just pure enjoyment for me and I honestly feel like I'm not missing out on anything.

I never pay attention to hype because it just creates unrealistic expectations and disappointment for me. Admittedly, I am usually more impressed and enjoy AA and indie more than most AAA games especially within the last several years.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I never pay attention to hype because it just creates unrealistic expectations and disappointment for me. Admittedly, I am usually more impressed and enjoy AA and indie more than most AAA games especially within the last few years.
There is nothing wrong for hyping if it’s based on what yourself see from the game rather than others hyping the game. I’m hyped for game like Unicorn Overlord because I liked what I saw from the game.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Maybe we need to see games all release at $39.99 and as they get patched and upgraded they cost more to jump in. Leave retail sales at 59.99

From this point forward, I just don't see me getting excited about game releases anymore. Every AAA developer is full of shit. Graphical downgrades, dishonest information, predatory mechanics, blah blah fucking blah, and every release is a shit show. I'm over it.

When your game goes on sale for a third of what you sold it for, and everything is patched up to the point where it actually resembles what was promised, I'll buy.

Welcome to the sensible side of gaming. Pay less, get more. :lollipop_raising_hand:

damidu

it’s mostly a ms problem at this time, and overhype comes from their paid/unpaid shills.
im currently expecting all their releases to be unfinished mess at launch, saves lot of headache.

i would be fuming if i had to pay full price for any of these though.
thank you gamepass

RickMasters

Finally… somebody gets it. Don’t buy these AAA games at full price. Let em fix it and buy the delux edition with all the DLC when they fix it. that’s what I did with cyberpunk. Better than being one of the poor saps that bought but full price at launch and got a buggy mess.

I don’t love none of these devs enough to let them rip me off like that. Sell me a sec me towelling game or fuck off.

As far as forza goes…. We’ll…. Thank for for gamepass. For all its issues….. I didn’t buy it. But then…. I wouldn’t buy 9 out of ten games these days. Would rather buy a hades or a hyper light drifter. Atleast I’m getting a game without all the controversy

Top Bottom