• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry calls out Turn10 for downgrading Forza Motorsport.

sun baby GIF

Impressive sun.

RaZoR No1

You can say whatever you want about FM
The expectation were very high after GT7 and the very long dev time of 6 Years for a FM game. Especially after saying multiple time: build from the ground up.
Unfortunatley they did not deliver.
The game is still buggy and feels unfinished, the graphics have moments, where they look really nice (on bad weather conditions, night races etc.) but it still is and feels like an older FM game.

As alot of people said it multiple times:
They had everything everyone wanted with FM4.
Why did they move away from the FM4 formula?
It had the correct cars, alot of tracks, awesome single and multiplayer. It did everything right.
Just update the graphics, physics and the content.

Still FM8 is not a bad game, but it just disappointed alot of players, because it did not fulfill the promises and expactations...

You can say whatever you want about FM
The expectation were very high after GT7 and the very long dev time of 6 Years for a FM game. Especially after saying multiple time: build from the ground up.
Unfortunatley they did not deliver.
The game is still buggy and feels unfinished, the graphics have moments, where they look really nice (on bad weather conditions, night races etc.) but it still is and feels like an older FM game.

As alot of people said it multiple times:
They had everything everyone wanted with FM4.
Why did they move away from the FM4 formula?
It had the correct cars, alot of tracks, awesome single and multiplayer. It did everything right.
Just update the graphics, physics and the content.

Still FM8 is not a bad game, but it just disappointed alot of players, because it did not fulfill the promises and expactations...
This exactly. If FM4 was a bacon hamburger, this is a bigger burger, without the tasty bacon in a shiny styrofoam box.....

FM4's trailer alone was something to behold. It screams love for cars.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Exactly, game doesn’t look great, and even doesn’t 100% look “good”. It’s a product what you could expect from a AA studio, not a AAA studio with a good reputation before.

I've watched both of DF's Forza Motorsport videos and I wasn't impressed at all to be honest. The game's visuals aren't a huge jump over its six year old predecessor. The tech has changed, but if you haven't been following Forza closely it's easy to mistake the new version for the old version. The biggest change seems to be 3D trees and shrubbery and 3D spectators. What many people thought was RT is SSR most of the time.

Even more disappointing is that they held the visuals of the PC version back so it matches those of the Xbox version. The ray tracing features are disappointing and the game has very poor CPU optimization. So many wasted opportunities ...

Porticus

This exactly. If FM4 was a bacon hamburger, this is a bigger burger, without the tasty bacon in a shiny styrofoam box.....

FM4's trailer alone was something to behold. It screams love for cars.

I'm sorry but I call it BS.

Love for cars don't make you do a cinematic trailer of a car chase for a sim race simulation, maybe for a NFS.

Love for cars make you do stuff like these:

I'm sorry but I call it BS.

Love for cars don't make you do a cinematic trailer of a car chase for a sim race simulation, maybe for a NFS.

Love for cars make you do stuff like these:

I should've said marketing wise. Where was the buzz surrounding FM8?
Aaaand hiring Jeremy Clarkson and doing a FMV sequence in a populated city isnt love for cars? Hmmmm

Sidenote: I see PGR4 in a post, I see someone of culture. ;)

Last edited:
Fucking insane to see a leading Xbox 1P exclusive get rushed out like this, you wouldn't see Nintendo doing this with Mario or even Sony with God of War.

All just to feed the endless Gamepass sawmill.
I always defended GamePass for being a good thing. But now I see devs rush just because they know they'll miss revenue because of it... Maybe its a short sighted thought, but its all I can think of atm.

Astray

Gold Member
I always defended GamePass for being a good thing. But now I see devs rush just because they know they'll miss revenue because of it... Maybe its a short sighted thought, but its all I can think of atm.
In a few years, subscription economies will be the bane of gaming. People who are now parading how they can "play games for free" will be the 1st ones squealing.

In all walks of life, there's no maxim more true than "you get what you pay for".

Ah, so we're at the "M$" level of discussion now.. Good to know we're approaching the bottom.
Can't denigrate the trillion-dollar company, no sir.

Last edited:
In a few years, subscription economies will be the bane of gaming. People who are now parading how they can "play games for free" will be the 1st ones squealing.

In all walks of life, there's no maxim more true than "you get what you pay for".

Guess I attributed to a growing trend then....

Shame that the industry is going down the shitter like this. We can't be excited anymore for a new game. We have to be cautious. Now where in fuckall-land is the fun in that...

nemiroff

Gold Member

Take a look at my Forza OT history, I'm no typical defender. I'm just saying that kind of gutter-tier decorum is a tell-tale sign that a discussion is reaching absolute bottom.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Who the fuck cares if someone writes M$ or $ony (find me a currency that can fit into Nintendo and I will do it immediately)? How does that make a discussion good or bad?
Nin¥endo.

Best I can do.

Beaten to the punch twice :messenger_clapping:

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble but the game on series x doesn’t look anything like the reveal trailer. I know because I have actually played it.

Not to say it’s the worst looking and playing racer ever but there are much better racing games out there. MS missed the opportunity once more to release greatness, as they did with Halo, and Redfall, and Crackdown 3 etc.

Only games this gen so far that are really good from MS studios are in my opinion: Flight sim and Forza Horizon. Unfortunately for MS both those games are niche as hell.

I also liked that music game, forgot the name of it, but thats even much more niche.
You aren't busting my bubble. I know because I've played it and own it and spare us your system-bashing list, it shows you for what you really are...

Just checked pc gaming wiki, apparently you can get operation flashpoint running on modern systems, also still for sale under the arma name.
Also with regards to ToTK there was many videos with them thinking the game was "to big for switch" when with the first round of marketing materials, they where unconvinced it was stock switch hardware running it.
I still have my Flashpoint and no it doesn't work on my modern PC. The same goes for my Blood 2, Geoff's F1 GP2 and 3, Blade Runner, Gabe Knight 2 and a host of my old PC games. DF are playing the spin game. Sure there are workaround, but that is true on consoles too and how I'm able to play RARE's remake of Goldeneye for example.

PD78u9e.jpg

t0e4qOv.jpg

Last edited:
You aren't busting my bubble. I know because I've played it and own it and spare us your system-bashing list, it shows you for what you really are...
Sure sure, something is really off with the lighting. I only have this issue with this game and Starfield which has the same levels of grey, but instead you choose to call it system bashing. Great stuff.

And the rumble really just is terrible, but then again, that is actually because of the controller hardware.

And the AI is horrible, you can see that in many videos too. And much other stuff that’s not up to snuff. This thread is full of criticism because the game just isn’t great. And then there’s also the progression system etc etc.

Please get off your high horse and just admit that this game isn’t as perfect as you want it to be in your mind.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sure sure, something is really off with the lighting. I only have this issue with this game and Starfield which has the same levels of grey, but instead you choose to call it system bashing. Great stuff.

And the rumble really just is terrible, but then again, that is actually because of the controller hardware.

And the AI is horrible, you can see that in many videos too. And much other stuff that’s not up to snuff. This thread is full of criticism because the game just isn’t great. And then there’s also the progression system etc etc.

Please get off your high horse and just admit that this game isn’t as perfect as you want it to be in your mind.
Some people will intentionally ignore all issues and pretend a game is fantastic.

Don't worry. A huge percentage of people seem to agree with your thoughts.

bSW5LJz.jpg

JimboJones

I still have my Flashpoint and no it doesn't work on my modern PC. The same goes for my Blood 2, Geoff's F1 GP2 and 3, Blade Runner, Gabe Knight 2 and a host of my old PC games. DF are playing the spin game. Sure there are workaround, but that is true on consoles too and how I'm able to play RARE's remake of Goldeneye for example.

PD78u9e.jpg

t0e4qOv.jpg
Accessing the work arounds on PC are way more accessable though.
PC is an open platform.
DF isn't saying you can't access work arounds on consoles.
I feel way more comfortable withy collection of games on PC working into future than my collection of games on consoles working into the future on future console platforms.

Certinty

I'm... disappointed.

Mainly because I actually quite like the gameplay.

It's just everything else feels barebones and sometimes outright sucks, as if it was extremely rushed or not cared about. Already had a number of bugs present too.

If this really took six years to make then serious questions need to be asked about what these employees were doing with their time as it's also very clearly not 'from the ground up'.

Then go see an optometrist. I played it for 30 minutes, saw that it was WAY below what was shown/ promised (FM7 looks the same and we're 6 years down the road)
Criticism is now console bashing? Ok bro, ok.....

I owned a Series X until this morning. Sold it because FM was the only reason I still had it. Am I now bashing?
Bought a PS5 with GT7 PS4 version. Upgraded free to the PS5 version and I'm very happy.

You're either blatantly lying or just fucking clueless.

This game isnt anywhere near what was promised quality wise. That and this game is as barebones as could be. They fucked up a franchise. BIG TIME

Glad you enjoy it, but don't lie. Even if it's because you want to justify paying 70 bucks for this. A lie is a lie.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Some people will intentionally ignore all issues and pretend a game is fantastic.

Don't worry. A huge percentage of people seem to agree with your thoughts.

bSW5LJz.jpg

No way this is real. I refuse to believe PC gamers on Steam are giving this game a 51% approval. Something has got to be up now.

What others examples do you know of? The only one I can recall is Halo infinite.

RedFall, Gears 5 Hivebusters (they literally read MS's press release almost word-for-word; the actual game did turn out visually well tho and in line with reveal footage, so it's not the best example) are two of the other big examples I can think of.

Oh, and Starfield, prior to the game actually releasing.

And this is why I think they should not have bothered getting to deep into the PC side of things. They gave up Xbox exclusivity for shoddy PC ports. May aswell have just focused on Xbox.

Hopefully those who still question Sony's current PC porting strategy come to understand: this is the danger we want them to avoid needlessly walking into.

And people are going to say "Oh the ports are years later"...until they aren't. Until they're Day 1. What happens then? Same as what's happened with Xbox.

What we were advertised:

What it actually looks like on a 4090:
q9FsnH.jpeg

Getting a better look now the rocks actually do look like the ones from Halo Infinite :/

Maybe maybe but I can't help but getting a bit upset when people who's job is just shitting on devs work just open their filthy mouth to critic what they wouldn't be able to do, it's just a shitty job imo. Yes the game is (a bit) downgraded but it is still beautiful, MS allowed the reviews a few days before the release of the game so people can keep or cancel their preorders... it's alright.

Yeah, MS let those obviously non-biased outlets like Pure Xbox, Somos Xbox, Xbox Generacion, True Achievements, Xbox Xbox, Lick My Xbox etc. give very accurate reviews that in fact mentioned all the issues in the game so people could be well-informed on their order.

It's sad to see how DF pander now.

When Spiderman's reflections are changed it's down to creative choices and when Zelda TOTK is downgraded not a word. Still, listen to DF PC is completely BC with old games. I'll try and remember that when trying to play Operation Flashpoint on my modern PC or how because a console has no disc drive it might as well be a Chrome cast. I've never heard such drivel in all life and to call out Forza for going far more than any modern racer on a console is a utter joke

Forza looks stunning far better than any racing game on any console. What makes this game mind is the AI shame that's all lost in this silly fanboy bashing.

Jesus Christ, is this a script prompt now? Why do y'all ALWAYS do this to yourselves? Think Forza looks good? Fine. But then the obvious bait "better than ANY racing game on ANY console".

You're like Steve Buscemi starting a bar fight at a truck stop. You're asking for a beatdown.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Gotta get that content out or people will unsubscribe. Get used to it. And fans seem to enable this, look at the Redfall patch thread, people won’t quit even on a trash game.

Let a third party release a broken mess and it’s a shit storm though.

Look ok on PC not next gen that’s for sure.

I'm surprised that even on a 4090/i9 beast of a rig the game doesn't look as close to the 2022 reveal footage you'd think it would be.

Honestly I don't think it's a talent issue (FM7 looked great for its time) so much a budget issue. Similar to with RedFall; you can't do a lot if your budget is getting slashed back heavily. It was bound to happen with Microsoft giving Xbox clearance to get big 3P publisher acquisitions.

They couldn't do that and keep the budgets for games large simultaneously, something had to give.

Top Bottom