• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Star Wars Outlaws gameplay - that was pretty much another Ubisoft bullshot, right?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've been watching and rewatching that gameplay today and when you actually start paying attention to the background details, everything about it feels too "directed" and way too good looking. Right down to small details such as small rocks tumbling on the ground and some NPC conveniently speeding past the main character just as she perfectly dismantles her speeder and is about to go into the bar. And then a squadron of TIEs just appears off the right side of the screen just as the ship leaves the planet's atmosphere and the entire sequence plays out in such a way that it damn near looks like a movie.

These are just a couple of examples that I spotted but there's way more in there. Given Ubisoft's track record and how artificial this "gameplay" feels, I'm fully expecting that the finished game will be a massive downgrade.

Although I haven't played that new Avatar game so I'm curious how does that game stack up against the pre-release gameplay materials.

Anyway, what do you think? Is it going to be a downgrade like so many of Ubisoft's games before?

Based on the most recent snowdrop engine release (e.g. Avatar), what you saw in that gameplay reveal will probably be what you'll see in the final build as well (if not even slightly improved). Both Avatar and SW Outlaws are snowdrop games.

Buggy Loop

The trailer is a directed sequence yes, not gameplay. I hope that’s easy to spot and nobody fell for it.

Even the ground to space sequence is comical, it’s basically a loading screen, when the camera pans back to look at the planet you had just exited the atmosphere hue a few seconds ago, the planet is far away. It’s a more elaborated Starfield loading

mrcroket

Yep another bland and good looking ubisoft game (revolution story, watchtowers, unlock areas of the map, markers on the map, repetitive tasks like conquering generic and repeated bases... for 200h). But hey, it seems that people still like these games, so whatever.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yep another bland and good looking ubisoft game (revolution story, watchtowers, unlock areas of the map, markers on the map, repetitive tasks like conquering generic and repeated bases... for 200h). But hey, it seems that people still like these games, so whatever.
Ubisoft games are sort of like the digital version of Lego sets. You can just shut off your brain, follow instructions, and eventually you’ll be done. You’ll have fun along the way, though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've been watching and rewatching that gameplay today and when you actually start paying attention to the background details, everything about it feels too "directed" and way too good looking. Right down to small details such as small rocks tumbling on the ground and some NPC conveniently speeding past the main character just as she perfectly dismantles her speeder and is about to go into the bar. And then a squadron of TIEs just appears off the right side of the screen just as the ship leaves the planet's atmosphere and the entire sequence plays out in such a way that it damn near looks like a movie.

These are just a couple of examples that I spotted but there's way more in there. Given Ubisoft's track record and how artificial this "gameplay" feels, I'm fully expecting that the finished game will be a massive downgrade.

Although I haven't played that new Avatar game so I'm curious how does that game stack up against the pre-release gameplay materials.

Anyway, what do you think? Is it going to be a downgrade like so many of Ubisoft's games before?

That's what we should expect from a next-gen game. Plus it was probably PC maxed out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ubisoft games are sort of like the digital version of Lego sets. You can just shut off your brain, follow instructions, and eventually you’ll be done. You’ll have fun along the way, though.
I'd rather spend that time putting actual LEGO sets together. At least it will be over quicker.

Yeah Ubisoft games usually look good because of the high production quality.

Gameplay and story usually sucks.

acm2000

You said it yourself, it's a directed/scripted slice of game designed for a trailer, this is standard practice in the industry.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Of course its scripted lol

But you can script most of that stuff in game after that mission.

The tumbleweeds tech is part of the game engine. They talked about wind physics being the defining characteristic of that world. It will be in the final game, just downgraded a bit to run on consoles.

ahtlas7

YtoaMat.jpg

It’s probably scripted for the trailer to show the city as a busy seedy speeder bike outpost? The game looks great and I hope someone is left at Ubi to implement imagination into the game because I’d love to love it. Time will tell.

coffinbirth

Looked incredible, really. Just the kind of Star Wars game I've been wanting for a long time as well. Probably won't look that good on these consoles, but a 4090 could probably run it like this. There was a pretty clear delineation between the gameplay and the cutscenes.

If we're talking pure graphics, after seeing their Avatar game and how stunning it looks coupled with the secret PC graphics options too, I don't doubt that they can pull it off.
That's all it will be. Look good with mediocre repetitive gameplay.

Ubisoft outs in as little effort as possible when it comes to innovation.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If we're talking pure graphics, after seeing their Avatar game and how stunning it looks coupled with the secret PC graphics options too, I don't doubt that they can pull it off.

The Avatar game looks nowhere near as good as Ubisoft's initial reveal:

Lower your expectations, people. Ubisoft is absolutely notorious for their final games breaking the promises made by their reveal trailers.

GustavoLT

It’s probably scripted for the trailer to show the city as a busy seedy speeder bike outpost? The game looks great and I hope someone is left at Ubi to implement imagination into the game because I’d love to love it. Time will tell.

at 4:19 there are some pop-in of rocks on the ground!!!

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Avatar game looks nowhere near as good as Ubisoft's initial reveal:

Lower your expectations, people. Ubisoft is absolutely notorious for their final games breaking the promises made by their reveal trailers.

That’s the PC version running on Unobtanium settings.

Perrott

Gold Member
All E3 gameplay demos are staged and choreographed in order to showcase the exact gameplay features and situations that the developer wants their audience to see. Even the titles that ended playing just like that in the final product - Uncharted 4, God of War, Arkham Knight, Battlefront, Spider-Man - have choreographed all their gameplay videos.

Now, when it comes to the actual visual fidelity of the title, I have no doubt that what was shown of Star Wars Outlaws was indeed real: in the video you could spot both LOD transitions, image reconstruction artifacts and other evidence of actual current-gen gameplay assets and technology running in real-time.

Top Bottom