• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem graphics downgrades

woigemok

Banned
E3 2017 gameplay running on XBX

VIP Demo running on XBX

Looks like an ass now in comparison to the initial E3 gameplay demo. The scale of downgrades is similar to Watch Dogs' level. The performances are crappy as well.

nowhat

Haven't watched the videos, but judging by the "thumbnails" (or whatever you should call those preview images for Youtube videos), that is so obvious.

The demo has like so much fewer puddles it's unbelievable.

The demo has like so much fewer puddles it's unbelievable.

giphy.gif

I like you

Easlye

Neo Member
Not a surprise considering how underpowered the consoles are. Hopefully next-gen will have a lot less of this.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

VIP Demo running on XBX

Looks like an ass now in comparison to the initial E3 gameplay demo. The scale of downgrades is similar to Watch Dogs' level. The performances are crappy as well.

It's a downgrade, but it doesn't look like ass. It's actually quite pretty.

Shin

Banned
The original reveal for x was running on pc in reality.
Here's Anthem running on Xbox One X.......2020
Gotta sell them next-gen systems somehow :p
Jokes aside it looks generic and bland to me, the initial trailer was captivating to my own surprise.

Mr Hyde

Was expecting a downgrade but man, this game is just going from bad to worse, I´m just gonna remove it from my radar now. Not worth my precious time.

Wow... LOL

On my PC this game looks like E3 reveal or maybe less detailed but way more beautiful than the Xbox one X version... LOL

This game is CPU limited on console... Clearly...

ultrazilla

Gold Member
On my PC, the game looks amazing. Of course I'm running it maxed out on a RTX 2080 Founder's Edition.
The current VIP demo looks very close to the original reveal. Sure, they may have scaled back some of the assets like puddles and
some plants but it is far from looking "like ass". No way.

The consoles on the other hand....yeah not so good. Bioware really needs to work on a patch that gives players a choice between resolution/graphics vs performance.

Bani

VIP Demo running on XBX

You don't have to buy shit like that, I mean there's always customers who shit the most

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For any of you with actual programming/game company experience, whenever us gamers clearly see bullshot video from 2 year out.......

1. At that time years back, are the videos honest projections of what the game should look like when it releases? And they truly had to cut things back as they were overzealous at the time.

2. Or two, the programmers and marketing guys clearly know it's all a shell game of hocus pocus and they have two sets of games going on..... a more modest one that will release..... and a bullshot quick demo for E3

Be honest. I know it's not a perfect corrleation, but what's the "usual skew" when it comes to bullshots from something 2 years ago? #1 or #2?

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Yea but how many performance issues are tied to server instability. It can affect frame speeds significantly.

People are being way too harsh on this “demo.”

Yea but how many performance issues are tied to server instability. It can affect frame speeds significantly.

People are being way too harsh on this “demo.”

I’m almost positive the hub performance is server related somehow. My FPS in town dropped by 20 yesterday from Friday and in general I had much more lag related issues because everyone was playing

Mista

Banned
Well the 4k enhancement isn't in the demo so lets wait until launch
Digital Foundry will break it down better than just looking at one trailer with 4k enhancement and another without..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
jow what the fuck is this bullshit
also what the fuck is up with 2 min loading times
gtfo with that crap

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
jow what the fuck is this bullshit
also what the fuck is up with 2 min loading times
gtfo with that crap
Watching some streams, the loading times are so bad it looks like the game froze. Even worse than Xbox 360 loading times during Skyrim loading up a dungeon.

Holammer

The game looked like an asset streaming nightmare from the first reveal, so no wonder the console versions choke on it.
Expect next-gen rereleases for PS5 etc unless it bombs so hard that EA just write it off as a failure.

VertigoOA

Banned
The game looked like an asset streaming nightmare from the first reveal, so no wonder the console versions choke on it.
Expect next-gen rereleases for PS5 etc unless it bombs so hard that EA just write it off as a failure.

I’m still not convinced that the free dlc method will work long term. A strong launch will help but as price falls at retail who knows. The dollar asking price for the cosmetics seems a bit ludicrous if the placeholder stuff is representative of what it will be but not sure that will generate enough.

These games aren’t like a battle royale game. The future content players want are far more demanding, expansive and a bit ludicrous in expectations sometimes. Unless it’s their biggest game ever I kinda expect ea to be unhappy. Their future as a publisher rides on this

Last edited:

I have no doubt this is the case with Anthem. I was in a 3-man squad farming the stronghold and matchmaking our fourth.

Frames were rock solid most of the time, but we also had a few runs where we experienced significant lag and frame drops.

I’m almost positive the hub performance is server related somehow. My FPS in town dropped by 20 yesterday from Friday and in general I had much more lag related issues because everyone was playing

Yeah. I experienced similar. The frames walking through the area at times was making my eyes bleed. Other times, it was fine.

This is EA, the Kings of bullshot. Battlefield never looks as good as the trailers, why would this? Also the frostbite engine is a CPU hog. EA would have better luck underwhelming then over delivering.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is EA, the Kings of bullshot. Battlefield never looks as good as the trailers, why would this. Also the frostbite engine is a CPU hog.
That just isn't true. Battlefield V in particular looks better than any of the trailers when running on an RTX card.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is EA, the Kings of bullshot. Battlefield never looks as good as the trailers, why would this? Also the frostbite engine is a CPU hog. EA would have better luck underwhelming then over delivering.
Also, Medal of Honor Warfighter. A top contender for bullshotting too. lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have you ever paid attention to the animated grass? It has ghosting along with a lot of the leaves and trees. It's terrible.
Sure. It's one small detail in an otherwise stunning game. Crysis 3 looked amazing for its day but its grass updates at half-rate and looks choppy - still gorgeous despite that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
aren't there laws against false marketing?
Only in certain situations.

Gaming is unique in that something shown 2 years ago would simply be claimed by the company as a work in progress. That's why they always put an Alpha or Beta claim in it. So they wouldn't be held to it.

As for traditional stuff you see at a store, laws are done to allow "puffery". That's why companies can show awesome pics of burgers or a taco or whatever, but the real thing might not look close to it. But it is allowed.

Also, obvious statements of grandiose are ignored too. If someone said "we have the best steak in town", that would be allowed.

Some reason the government allows this shit, so companies will take advantage.

Where companies get false advertising suits is typically detailed claims which can be disproven. If a lawnmower doesn't actually cut grass, or a a vitamin says it has 10 mg of vitamin D but doesn't, those are hard facts where they can be sued.

But if someone said, "we have the best lawnmowers", that will likely not be court contested. However, if someone said "we have the top selling lawnmower brand", that is something that might be challenged. But likely the company has some small font claim saying..... "our research was based on lawnmower sales in the state of New York from 2015-2017" or some BS.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Sure. It's one small detail in an otherwise stunning game. Crysis 3 looked amazing for its day but its grass updates at half-rate and looks choppy - still gorgeous despite that.
Have you enjoyed the Demo?

What are your thoughts on the technical aspects?

Fbh

The one good thing this game had going for it in my mind was that it looked pretty nice so I was surprised to see so many people saying it looked rather ugly in the Demo thread.

The world definitely looks less detailed and it seems like they made some changes to lighting but looking at PC footage on youtube it doesn't look that much worse

badblue

After the last dozen or so times this has happened, why are people still surprised when the released game doesn't look as good as the previews?

I wouldn't call demo graphics an ass. The lighting, textures and effects look great, but it seems like the amount of foliage has been reduced significantly compared to reveal.
You do know that about the only multiplayer games on consoles that runs at 60 fps or close to it while looking pretty good and have some physics are only made on Frostbite. [Battlefield and Battlefront series]

If frostbite is a cpu hog like you claim than what can you say about other engines which struggle to do 60 fps and don't look nearly as good while don't have any physics comparable to battlefield series..

Whitesnake

Banned
With ALL of the demo’s problems, and the fact that Anthem is at the mercy of EA, I feel like its graphics are the least-concerning thing about this game.

Dontero

Banned
I like how people say here "on pc" where initial demo is plainly named "xbox one x"
It is clear that they couldn't meet performance target. Game looks whole level below that demo on Xboxx

You can see it clearly in foliage which got butchered, water shaders, texture res.
Lighting engine also seems like it got downgraded.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I like how people say here "on pc" where initial demo is plainly named "xbox one x"
It is clear that they couldn't meet performance target. Game looks whole level below that demo on Xboxx

You can see it clearly in foliage which got butchered, water shaders, texture res.
Lighting engine also seems like it got downgraded.

The reveal demo also looks more open. Characters look so much better in the reveal then beta. It’s a huge difference with the beta.

Belmonte

I'm so used to it that I consider the first videos of a game, a CG. Only useful to see the art direction and general feel.

Obviously I'm not trying to make excuses for the downgrade. Just a thought.

Nella

Can only speak for my semi-high end PC, but the game looks jaw dropping on my hardware! Watch Dogs on the other hand was never able to look as good as it did when it was revealed no matter your hardware.

Hopefully they "next gen patch it" when the PS5 and Xbone2 are out, assuming they support BC!

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Never believe reveal footage. They are turning on every effect they can and running on really powerful hardware

Top Bottom