• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

Chest runs are as old as loot games. Anthem will be fine.

Remember all the hand-wringing over the loot cave? And Destiny's about as lite on the RPG as a looter shooter can be.

Nothing in Destiny REQUIRED chest runs before the story could be continued. Although opening the post-campaign area of Forsaken was a needless chore, I'll admit that.

Nothing in Destiny REQUIRED chest runs before the story could be continued. Although opening the post-campaign area of Forsaken was a needless chore, I'll admit that.

I was talking about the loot runs. As in Diablo 2 style chest runs.

But the gating in Anthem was 15 chests. Wasn't bad.

Well, Alliance reset, and nada... Anyone get their coins?

Edit: Seems like I got some deposit, but the game doesn't make it clear where coins are coming from.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

If anyone wants to play (and hop on a discord or some such) let me know! I am on PC currently with Premier access. will have some time this week and weekend. US based player here GMT -6 (Chicago CST).

This is the first time I am posting a request like this, so if this is the wrong place (or it already exists and I am just failing at internetz) feel free to blast my post into the void.
Theres an Alliance thread so people can exchange friend requests.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/anthem-alliance-building.1472402/#post-253796981

My ID is SpeerElf(its German) but I cant play much during the week(work long hours).

Freeman76

Chest runs can be quite addictive. I used to enjoy the Queensdale champ train in GW2, and the SW bandit chest train too. They are nothing new, people like to find something to chew on is all.

Typhares

So what does this mean,wasn't better to actually get more loot than less!!!

Not sure what you mean. They are talking about the fixed chest you can find in free play. These chest will still give loot just not MW or legendary so easily. The chest spawning from events are unchanged.

sol_bad

Skill up hasn’t even sunk time into the endgame. Was reading the twitter thread for a bit. He’s full of shit as far as I’m concerned. Not that I expect something drastically better but it’s clickbait.

I don’t feel sorry for those still thinking they’re getting some mass effect rpg sequel.

Sorry bro, no idea what you mean by click bait. He always some extremely detailed reviews. Some are even 40 minutes long. He usually spends a lot of time with end game content but if he is finding a game boring I doubt he'll do end game for it.

VertigoOA

Banned
Sorry bro, no idea what you mean by click bait. He always some extremely detailed reviews. Some are even 40 minutes long. He usually spends a lot of time with end game content but if he is finding a game boring I doubt he'll do end game for it.

If he doesn’t do the end game then it’s not a proper review of anthem. The end game are the meat and potatoes of these games. Not addressing that would make it a worthless review.

Day one reviews for live service games are suspect always for this very reason. You have to wait for it to go live and then see what kind of endgame there is.

Is this all we will see at launch window? Probably. Is that all that’s gonna be in the game even a month from now? No, it’s not.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. They are talking about the fixed chest you can find in free play. These chest will still give loot just not MW or legendary so easily. The chest spawning from events are unchanged.
aha,because I don't know what was the deal with that fix,I didn't play the game to know,I have it on PS4 and this friday I will be able to play it

Typhares

aha,because I don't know what was the deal with that fix,I didn't play the game to know,I have it on PS4 and this friday I will be able to play it

Ha ok so basically the loot table is the same for everything. So people realised that instead of doing time consuming activities that would grant you a loot chest you could just go in free play and open chests that are scattered throughout the world.

Personally I didn't get care these guys were just doing a boring grind to get loot to not play the game. But it's nice to see it fixed anyway.

Last edited:

Peroroncino

If he doesn’t do the end game then it’s not a proper review of anthem. The end game are the meat and potatoes of these games. Not addressing that would make it a worthless review.

Day one reviews for live service games are suspect always for this very reason. You have to wait for it to go live and then see what kind of endgame there is.

Is this all we will see at launch window? Probably. Is that all that’s gonna be in the game even a month from now? No, it’s not.

The game doesn't even have a proper end-game so not sure what's even there to review. Repetaing the same missions on harder difficulties and doing strongholds over and over again?

When in fact the best bet to getting the best gear is farming chests in freeplay.

VertigoOA

Banned
The game doesn't even have a proper end-game so not sure what's even there to review. Repetaing the same missions on harder difficulties and doing strongholds over and over again?

When in fact the best bet to getting the best gear is farming chests in freeplay.

I even posted this lol. Trust aztecross. I’ve never seen him as bitter as that vid tho.

Having a universal loot pool is retarded.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Grandmaster tiers for strongholds are being said to be huge difficultly spikes. That’s the only place the game can show its teeth with the min/max on builds and loadouts.

Unfortunately there’s only a handful of them. But if the game was to deliver something fun and challenging it’s gonna be there. I’m not a fan of strikes in destiny. Haven’t been in years. I enjoy everything else far more so just strongholds is kinda eh. Hopefully they expand and tune freeplay a shit ton.

That’s part of the problem with these campaigns. They should never be too long as they’re pretty much a brainless cakewalk Across the board in all these games. It’s the high level stuff that brings out all the hooks. The combat looks like the weightless bioware jank of old but there’s no reason to really work out the tricks and kinks until endgame and putting them to test.

I’m not concerned about quality of life stuff. That happens in time.

With that said.... to another 6 years of destiny being best in class :messenger_horns: Jokers Wild drops March 11th. And if aztecross is right about anthem being a game good for two weekends... it’s just in time.

Last edited:
BioWare tweaking chests and fixing the Storm ultimate spam in the first week... Not bad.

Here's to hoping the loading improvements are significant and involve fewer loads.

I'm OK with the global loot pool. Maybe more like Borderlands, but I'm not sure how you do that with the current weapon selection.

Ogbert

Not sure about skillup as I never watch anything of his, but ACG is usually pretty pragmatic. That seems a bit on the hatsh side though, Anthem has a really great world to explore.

Skillup is a bit of a perpetual moaner. But, as you say, ACG is usually accurate.

I'm not impressed with the game at all. I'm not sure I'll even use up my trail hours. There are far too many loading screens. The game feels disjointed. The hub town is *horrendous*; slow and boring. The loot is generic.

I do like the flying, when outdoors, but inside it suffers as your javelin lurches around like a drunk sailor.

I think it's going to get panned by critics.

Boss Mog

No more silly chest farming.

That's actually what's going to make me hold off on getting the game. Playing Strongholds with randoms when your friends aren't available to play can be really frustrating. During the beta some of my best drops actually came from freeplay which is something I could have fun alone with and I really liked that aspect. But it's it's only gonna give crap gear now, then it won't be worth it.

I'm sure it'll drop in price quite quickly judging by the early impression reviews out there.

Typhares

That's actually what's going to make me hold off on getting the game. Playing Strongholds with randoms when your friends aren't available to play can be really frustrating. During the beta some of my best drops actually came from freeplay which is something I could have fun alone with and I really liked that aspect. But it's it's only gonna give crap gear now, then it won't be worth it.

I'm sure it'll drop in price quite quickly judging by the early impression reviews out there.

You can still do that, it's only the fixed chest that are getting toned down. Not the chest you'd get for completing an event in free play.

Well, we'll have to see the effect on chests. It could even be time-based. Plus, world events will still be really good for loot.

I wonder if stronghold chest will be adjusted. My experiences w/ randoms in strongholds have been really good overall.

My bad experiences came yesterday when there were people hitting the first chest or two and then dropping out of the session. :/

It says four reviews scored? I'm sure Anthem will get panned by the mainstream, but...

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Sounds about right.

I think Anthem MIGHT be a good game someday but it’s pretty barebones + buggy right now.

I will gladly buy this game if and when there is more/better content and the bugs have been fixed. But I can’t in good conscience give EA my money right now for a game that obviously needed a few more months (at least) of development.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

So you've never played an MMO I'm guessing. Or Diablo 3.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Rifts in Diablo alone have more depth the the entire "end game" in Anthem, but sure, let's say I've never played those games if it will make you sleep better at night.

. . .which were in the game at the beginning right? Right. You can blame BioWare for not shamelessly aping from other loot-grinds that came before, but let's not pretend that Diablo 3 was in any better place at launch (in terms of content). Rifts, Prestiege, class sets, etc. . .all that wasn't there at launch.

This of course skips over Rifts being EXACTLY the kind of gameplay a few people in this thread are moaning about but such is life.

Peroroncino

. . .which were in the game at the beginning right? Right. You can blame BioWare for not shamelessly aping from other loot-grinds that came before, but let's not pretend that Diablo 3 was in any better place at launch (in terms of content). Rifts, Prestiege, class sets, etc. . .all that wasn't there at launch.

This of course skips over Rifts being EXACTLY the kind of gameplay a few people in this thread are moaning about but such is life.

Sure it wasn't there at launch but that doesn't change the fact that if you're coming out with a looter shooter in 2019 after games like Destiny or Division you already should know better than to release a completely unfinished and broken product expecting people to just push through the inevitable drought that's gonna come [and for me it already came, 25 hours into the "joruney"].

Anthem is not a game that was designed to have its missions be played on repeat unlike incursions, strikes or raids. Those missions are completely unbearable even on a first playthrough [bar the last one, which was transformed into one of the very few strongholds, because why bother doing something new] with massive amount of loadings and pointless activities like "enter the cave, door is locked, exit the cave get the key go back to the cave" - with each entry and re-entry meaning a loading screen.

Strongholds are more or less the only cool high end activity but due to their low amount it got boring so... very... quickly it ain't even funny.

This game is a mess, a jumbled piece of code duct taped together by a staggering amount of loading screens and the complete lack of any meaningful endgame is gonna bury this game very quickly.

I expect this game to have massive deals pretty fast or maybe even landing on EA Access for "free" as soon as the player base dries up [which is gonna be pretty soon].

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Why can't you do any of the missions over again? Some of them have end bosses that would actually pose a challenge on higher difficulties. Destiny has the ability to rerun missions, and in fact it is tied to the grind. Borderlands and Diablo were all about replaying the same content.

And I already said that the worst thing that can be said is that BioWare didn't ape "busy work grinds" for players who complete the game in a weekend. Destiny 2 didn't launch with it's signature raids. . .that didn't stop it from garnering excellent scores despite the same complaints being leveled at Bungie as are being leveled at BioWare. And this was their sequel.

The rest of your post is subjective hyperbole so I'm just going to leave it there.

I was critical of the end-game pre-launch, but the loot grind is fun for me despite the limited content.

I can live w/ the growing pains, and BioWare did say replaying missions is being looked into.

Peroroncino

Why can't you do any of the missions over again? Some of them have end bosses that would actually pose a challenge on higher difficulties. Destiny has the ability to rerun missions, and in fact it is tied to the grind. Borderlands and Diablo were all about replaying the same content.

And I already said that the worst thing that can be said is that BioWare didn't ape "busy work grinds" for players who complete the game in a weekend. Destiny 2 didn't launch with it's signature raids. . .that didn't stop it from garnering excellent scores despite the same complaints being leveled at Bungie as are being leveled at BioWare. And this was their sequel.

The rest of your post is subjective hyperbole so I'm just going to leave it there.

Diablo and Borderlands had a lot more content to replay though [if only because of the map and enemy variety]. Destiny has the ability to rerun missions, but even Bungie knew it'd be boring that's why nobody does that except for maybe weekly challenges and people prefer strikes night falls.

If having loading screens mid mission contributes to that mission not being fun at all is considered subjective hyperbole then by all means, do ignore everything repeating your argument and have fun, I wonder how long you're actually gonna play anthem.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Once all the dust has settled on all things Anthem (will be a longplay watch for me, demo didn't impress me much) I look forward to hearing what Bioware's plans are for Mass Effect!...

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Diablo and Borderlands had a lot more content to replay though [if only because of the map and enemy variety]. Destiny has the ability to rerun missions, but even Bungie knew it'd be boring that's why nobody does that except for maybe weekly challenges and people prefer strikes night falls.

If having loading screens mid mission contributes to that mission not being fun at all is considered subjective hyperbole then by all means, do ignore everything repeating your argument and have fun, I wonder how long you're actually gonna play anthem.

Missions have a loading screen if you unfortunately get lost behind a party-member or if the combat transitions from out to inside. I think I can count on one hand the number of missions that had a mix of locales like that. This is supposedly being addressed in the Day 1 patch, so I'll reserve finalish judgement until then. As for rerunning them, again that's up to the player and why not put it in there.

The subjective hyperbole is stuff like:

This game is a mess, a jumbled piece of code duct taped together by a staggering amount of loading screens and the complete lack of any meaningful endgame is gonna bury this game very quickly.

There's nothing there for me to respond to.

VertigoOA

Banned

Pretty sure Destiny 2 reviews were mostly held back for the raid. Both Destiny games luanched with raids. They weren’t available in the first 3 days but they were there.

In anthem that kind of endgame activity doesn’t even exist

Peroroncino

Missions have a loading screen if you unfortunately get lost behind a party-member or if the combat transitions from out to inside. I think I can count on one hand the number of missions that had a mix of locales like that. This is supposedly being addressed in the Day 1 patch, so I'll reserve finalish judgement until then. As for rerunning them, again that's up to the player and why not put it in there.

The subjective hyperbole is stuff like:

There's nothing there for me to respond to.

I'll gladly eat a crow if this game isn't heavily discounted in march.

VertigoOA

Banned
I'll gladly eat a crow if this game isn't heavily discounted in march.

It may not. For all we know it will smash all precious bioware game sales.

Without dlc for revenue; it’s in the best interest of ea to keep it as full price as possible. These games will be digital only soon

Lone Wolf

It may not. For all we know it will smash all precious bioware game sales.

Without dlc for revenue; it’s in the best interest of ea to keep it as full price as possible. These games will be digital only soon
I have no real evidence of which way this game will go regarding sales, I can only add that when I contacted Microsoft for a refund of my pre order, he said he was doing Anthem refunds all day.

Last edited:
I’ve been in a hospital for 8 days, can someone give me a brief rundown of how things went with the Premier launch and how the game is being received?

Hope all is well.

I guess it depends on who you ask. It's unpolished and needs a lot of QoL. But I like it a lot.

Combat is fantastic (aside from some minor quibbles) and the loot grind is cool.

Top Bottom